You are here

PLEASE (even if you believe it) don't EVER say

I am confused's picture

"you never wanted my kid/kids anyway" or "you don't love my kids" or the like. That's something that is so deeply painful and scarring that it can never be taken back. Ever.

Just some advice for bioparents. No matter how poorly you think your stepparent spouse is performing their parenting duties, don't say it.

Once you do, FOREVER, they are going to think that you honestly believe that they don't love your kids and didn't want them, and you can't take that back.

So, say anything else, just don't play that card.

Smonster's picture

My DH reminds me that I don't like/love his kids all the time. Sad You know, I can say no, I don't love them. But until I lived with them I liked them at least.

ChaiLatte's picture

If someone that isn't your child's parent is good to your child, and makes sacrifices on a daily basis for your child, you should show some appreciation. Unfortunately, instead of being thankful for the role the stepparent has chosen, many bios simply focus on what more the person could be doing for their child. When there is no appreciation for the effort the stepparent IS making, everyone loses.

cyberwoman's picture

"If someone that isn't your child's parent is good to your child, and makes sacrifices on a daily basis for your child, you should show some appreciation. Unfortunately, instead of being thankful for the role the stepparent has chosen, many bios simply focus on what more the person could be doing for their child"

Thank you for stating that. I often feel that the focus is on what I have NOT done for the child and everything I have is owed anyways so why point it out.

ChaiLatte's picture

Yw. A lot of us feel that way. You're not doing/feeling this or that enough for my child is an excruciating conversation. It's like being tormented. The outcome is having to walk on pins and needles around a child who is doing his or her best to try your patience. So much about your relationship is in that child's control, and it gets far worse once they know it. One time, at the start of one of those conversations I had a panic attack and had to do breathing exercises to keep from passing out. I don't think it was a coincidence. It can get better. If DH still feels this way, for whatever reason he stopped bringing it up.

I am confused's picture

Yes!!! You couldn;t be more right.

I never get, "wow thank for paying for these beds and 37" flat screens for my kids or the Xbox 360, or the laptops that have verizon connections" or "thanks for thinking of the kids at the gas station and buying them light up keychains with their names on them" or "thanks for the movie gift card so I can entertain the kids", it's always "you don't want my kids" or "look what I GAVE UP FOR YOU!!!"

Ugh...

Jsmom's picture

During a conversation with DH I said it was great that we made it to our one year anniversary. He looked at me and said, yeah but at what cost. Because I married you, I lost my daughter. Nice! Can't take that back.

I am confused's picture

Yeah if I have to hear "I gave up half the time I get with my kids for YOU", like she didn't do it for herself because she wants to be with me, or for US, but because it's some sort of favor to me for which I owe her something, I'm going to shoot myself in the face with a can of mace.

I didn't cost you your kids. Marrying someone you didn't want to cost you part of your time with your kids.

AAAaaarrrggghh...

Good call by whoever said that...

midwestmama's picture

SHE actually SAYS that to you??? I read your other posts, and I'm sorry, but it doesnt sound like she's given ANYthing up for you??

And ITA, I say the same thing all the time...that it's not MY fault that you "hardly ever see your son" - you have a court order that says when you can see him! That has nothing to do with me! YOU having kids with two different people is why you have to split your time! That kid who lives in another family and visits you eow...lives in another family because you HAD HIM with someone you didnt want to marry!

somehow he pins that on me? yah...cuz I hate SS, THATs why he lives somewhere else...right. Ok Mr. Guiltaholic.

I am confused's picture

Yeah I don't get it. You're a bad person because he left the other woman to be with you and it costs him time with his kids. WHAT? I get the exact same thing. Wears me out.

cyberwoman's picture

This lack of responsibility from DHs is getting on my nerves. If he lost his daughter that is on HIM not on you. He is the decision making parent, its in his power and is his reponsibility to pave the way between his spouse and his daughter. But its NEVER their fault that something bad happens it is always the step parents. I wish they would frigging grow up.

blondie66's picture

Ugh, DH's can be such a$$holes sometimes!
I totally agree that not only are we (step parents) not appreciated, on top of that we are judged so harshly it isn't funny. Just this morning, I had a huge blowout with my DH over SS14. He justfied SS's lying to me by turning it around and making it sound it was my fault."He's so scared of you". Excuse me? Why? Did I ever hurt that boy in any shape or form? Noooo. So why would he be "scaaaared of me"? Oh because I don't take his BS and call him on it every once in a while (like 3 times a year, other times I just bite my tongue)? Seriously.
In almost EVERY single argument over skids, I get "You hate them", "You don't like them", "You don't make them feel welcome" (we have 50/effing 50 custody and he's out of town on business a lot and guess who takes care of them, but obviously not good enough). I responded that I don't feel welcome in my own home...in his life...when he treats me that way. His comeback was that he always supports me "when I'm right". It's just that, well, you see, somehow I'm never right when it's about skids...
I'm so mad I can scream...sorry guys

Smonster's picture

OMG Crayon, this sounds SO familiar. I hear that SS is afraid of me also. Biggrin
And you know what I decided - GOOD he's going into his teens years, always talked smart mouth to me from the time he was 6...until I started giving the "Killer glare" I never have to say anything. I want him to be afraid of me, isn't that awful. Wink At least the smart mouth has stopped, actually he doesn't even acknowledge me, which is fine by me also.

I am confused's picture

I think so many bios who leave are scared of what their kids will think and just let them get away with murder. I have listened on the phone when my exGF's bios were just giving her a mouthful of shit for which my parents would have beaten me to death, and she says "it's a tough time for them". Yeah, cry in your room or ask questions or whatever, but the smarting off to adults is not part of the "it's hard" program.

And worse, as a step you really can't say anything without feeling like you're overstepping your bounds... ESPECIALLY if the BM/BD doesn't stand 100% behind you. Hell of a tough spot...

Purpleflower09's picture

I had my husband say to me that I don't want his kids around and I do not show them any affection. Which is a load of shit.
He was angry because I was standing up for myself and he realized NOW ( and we had this talk ) that his children are HIS and his Ex's..i have no rights to them nor any responsibility to them HOWEVER when they are around I make them feel loved , charished and wanted because they are. Even though I am still adjusting to being s step parent, I realize now it's not the childrens fault that this situation is about and it's not mine. I took my time warming up to my step children because I dont want to seem like my actions are fake and forced. I want them to see the genuine care and affection I feel for them. Kids are smart and they know when someone does not like them. My step daughter mainly confided in me about my husbands past girlfriends that the skids knew. She said " Daddy's last girlfriend did not like me very much because she never allowed us to do the same things her kids did" When I asked her what she meant, she said when she would have the kids watch movies and munchies, my skids had to go to their rooms and "clean".
But yes, when a spouse says you dont love their kids or never wanted them it makes you feel more of an outsider then you already do.

StepMadre's picture

I think they say it because they are so devastated that we don't necessarily love their kids and they have a hard time getting past it. When I was going through my roughest time with my skids and felt so trapped and resentful that I couldn't stand even the sight or sound of my skids and I was in emotional turmoil because I wasn't able to express that stuff to H and after months of repressing it and hiding in my room to avoid the skids, I finally had a blowout fight with H and told him that I hated his kids. It was the hardest thing in the world for him and it was harder because he knew how difficult and unlikable his kids were and has massive guilt for the fact that they have so many problems. He loves them to death, but he feels like he failed them for staying with BM so long, something he thought was best for them at the time, but in retrospect he realizes that he was doing them a disservice. All parents feel guilt and wish they were better parents, but the skids emotional and behavioral problems are very severe and H felt like he had failed them so it made it extra hard to hear that from me, the love of his life. Once I got my overblown feelings out and we had it out, the resentment went away and over time I came to really like and care about my skids and we have a great relationship now and I most definitely do not hate them. He was really hurt over what I said, but we worked through it and after he got over the hurt, he saw things from my perspective and I was able to be calmer and see things from his and things have been a million times better ever since. I really think that they bring this stuff up because they are so hurt that we don't like their kids and it ties into guilt that their kids aren't likable and have problems and that makes them feel bad as parents and brings up shame and guilt and other things like that. No parent in their right mind can expect a new step-parent to automatically like or love kids that they don't have any history with, but kids reflect on their parents and I think that most dads and moms feel like you insult them when you insult their kids and brings up all kinds of insecurities and guilt. I think talking it out and sometimes having a mediator helps a lot. Avoiding blaming words and sticking with expressing your own feelings rather than attacking the other person helps from getting super defensive and stonewalling.

Bio-parents usually have a major blind spot when it comes to their kids and they can't fathom people not liking their kids, even when they are aware that their kids have problems. They have that genetic bond and history that step-parents don't have and they tend to think their kids are perfect wonder kids and don't have the impartial perspective that non-bio parents have. They are very sensitive to any criticism from outsiders, especially if they are sensitive about the flaws of their kids.

I don't know what the solution to this is other than talking it out and if necessary getting couples counseling to have a mediator and a professional guide. Understanding why they say this stuff helps a lot, at least it did for me. Once I expressed myself and got over some of my frustrations I was much more able to step back and see things from H's perspective and how hurtful and shaming it was for him to hear that his beloved wife didn't like his kids and was at the point of moving out to get away from them. He was deeply hurt and once I saw that I was able to comfort him and apologize and we worked through it and are great now. I think communication is the key here.