You are here

9 year old step daughter still pooping in PANTS!!!

Buzybee82's picture

hello all, its me again! still the same ol shit (literally) going on!
got step daughter on thursday, went to family bbq...as were loading up to leave i smell that she shit in her panties. i ask her about it and she lies to my face 6 times, i even asked her if she was lieing and she kept lieing! i tell my husband when she gets in the truck, and he says nothing about it! the only thing he says on our way home is about my bike...i said is that really what youre thinking about right now? he said ya, what should i be thinking about? i said nothing. so when we get home he "talks" to her about it. i left. ive had it with this whole thing! so come to find out after their talk he sends her to bed, later she comes out cuz she " cant sleep" so he lets her stay up. so thats just thursday! friday when he went to work he took sd to my mil cuz im not going to be alone with her since i dont agree that she needs to keep getting the same talks over and over, she needs to be punished. so we pick her up from his moms go home and guess what happened?! yup she shit in her PANTS, not panties cuz shes thrown them all away, and not only once but twice! she shit in a pair of shorts then a pair of pajama pants! and the 2nd time my bil was over and he saw and said "thats gross dude" i felt sooooo bad for my husband! its so embarassing for him, it breaks my heart! so in mornings she is supposed to get her chores done, and she didnt cuz she waits to be told! so this morning my husband has to tell her to try to go poop. she goes in and after 1 min flushes. i ask did you poop that fast? she said no i need to eat breakfast so i can poop. i said no other people poop just fine without eating, you need to try longer. so she wines acts like a baby throws a fit and trys! guess what?! she pooped! after she comes out and my husband smelled the shit on her and said you need to go wipe better. then he goes in the bathroom with her and teaches her how to wipe her ass! when he comes out he tells me "you know, i just dont think she was ever taught the right way to wipe, she was never potty trained correctly" of course my response was "youve told her this before, youve taught her how to wipe before, its not news to her"
it just breaks my heart! my poor husband has his daughter every other weekend, and in the short amount of time he has her he has to teach her how to wipe, or have talks over and over again about lieing about pooping her pants! all he wants to do is have fun with her! enjoy his time with her! and to top it all off he feels uncomfortable around me when shes here cuz he knows what i think about it all. the poor guy. what do i do? i know the best thing for our marriage/family is i keep my mouth shut. its just so hard....to sit back and watch this happening over and over again. every other weekend the same talks. he says theres no point in punishing her because its not constant with her moms house, i say ya but it can be constant while shes here....and it is! she knows nothings going to happen when she lies she'll just get talked to. she'll get daddy all to herself for at least 30 minutes while he sits down and talks to her ignoring everything else going on.
i really need advice on this. this has been going on for 6 years in my life!!! also to top it all off baby mama is a f-ing beotch and totally controlls/changes the plans and schedule ALL of the time. we have a court ordered parenting contract that doesnt mean shit cuz she never follows it! and he says theres nothing we can do because she'll take time away with his daughter and make her life miserable. she talks shit to sd about daddy if he stands up to her at all! like i said this has been the same for 6 years. should i just give up completely? let things be how they are? should i keep trying?
it breaks my heart to watch my husband go through this shit! and to watch my sd too!
what would u do?

iloveroses's picture

I know that there are still parents that have children with this problem. For those who are currently having this problem, my son is nine yrars old. Hewas fully potty broke when at the age of six staarted pooping his pants. I also thought that he was being lazy about going to the bathroom. My thirteen year old daughter had just gotten on the internet when she thought she would embarass him and she typed "six year old poops his pants" Not really expecting anythi g when it popped up the screen. She said mom you should read this. It said that there is a medical condition called Encoprecis. This is where the child if a child gets constipated from holding his poop becomes severely constipated and the liquid stool that is behind the hard poop will scoot aroud the solid stool and comes out by itself. Eventually the colon stretches to accommodate the large hard stool. We took my son to his pediatrician and he confirmed the diagnosis of encopresis. He gave us a prescription for a laxative to get the large stool out. He said that it could take six months or more because my sons colon has stretched so much that my son actually does not feel the urge to go potty. That we have to schedule him potty breaks around his meals. That have him go to the bathroom fifteen to twenty minutes after eating and schedule two or more potty breaks a day. That by giving him a laxative gives his colon a chance to go back to its regular size. He also said that my son doesnt even feel the liquid stool come out and sometimes they get so used to the smell that he doesnt smell it. My son is now nine and yes I have tried what the doctor said but it is very hard to work with him because he is at school. He doesnt poop his pants at school but he does
s on the bus or within an half hour of getting home. But im not giving up! I need to find a way to get more cooperation from him. He is so embarrassed by it he refuses to talk about it and I think he has given up trying. Since I know what it is and its gone back to being more frequent that I am going to a gastroenterologist about it. Hope this helps because this is not a behavior problem!

Meh's picture

My SD 7 has this problem, too but her accidents aren't liquid, they're hard as rocks and roll out of her pants... :jawdrop: SO did the whole thing with using laxatives for a given amount of time and it seemed to be clearing up, but you can't stay on laxatives for long or it creates different probs. As soon as she was taken off the meds it came back same as before. She was a premie, btw, and had some intestinal problems while in neonatal care...I'm hoping SO takes her back to the doctor soon to see if there's anything further that can be done. As disgusting as it is I honestly feel sorry for her, even though she doesn't say anything about her accidents I'm sure it must be embarrassing. SO has been pretty closed mouthed about the whole thing, pretty sure he's embarrassed about it, too. Which sucked when they first moved in, I didn't think to check her clothes before washing them and found a turd that had rehydrated in the wash to the size of a Snickers bar. Made me want to throw the entire load of washing straight in the bin :sick: I've done the whole disengaging thing now so it's not my problem anymore, and I don't let her clothes get washed with any others but I'm not exactly thrilled about the prospect of soiled undies going in the wash. I recommended he prewash her undies when there's an issue but have no way of ensuring he does it Sad

Anon2009's picture

I can certainly understand your frustration. I'd be talking to my lawyer about this and calling CPS if I were DH. BM isn't training her right and this can affect SD's health and hygiene. Take pictures of her dirty pants & underwear.

Also, this can be a sign of sexual abuse/stress in kids. Does BM have her around questionable people? Look up symptoms of sexual abuse in kids. Even if you don't think that's what's going on after doing some research, have DH call her pediatrician and see what they say about this. This could also be a sign that she's stressed over other things.

cat_with_a_mean_tail's picture

I agree, this is often a symptom of ongoing sexual abuse. Its not definitive, but its something to consider. This combined with the intentional 'rough play' with the baby, & the lack of social boundaries may call for a thorough psychological eval, or maybe even a consultation with a psychiatrist. If you have any access to a behavioral analyst who works with families in their homes- that would likely be helpful also.

lmac's picture

My sister was having this problem with my niece at age 5. She was pooping and peeing herself because she was too damn lazy to get up from playing and go potty.

I might have missed it, but does she do this at BM's house too?

Anyway, my sister resolved it by spanking my niece's behind ONE time when she did it. I don't normally agree with spanking, but um, at 9 the child knows better and is just being lazy IMO.

Maybe putting her in time out every single time she does it? And I don't mean like a 10 minute time out, maybe like send her to lie in her bed quietly for an hour or so?

The people I nanny for also have a 4 year old almost 5 who does the same thing, and we are still trying to figure it out. We've been doing the hour long "break" with him laying in his bed (because if you have an accident your tummy might be upset, so you have to go rest so you don't get sick), but he did have an accident last week--used to be 1-2 a day, so I guess we're getting better.

Another thing we do is say "Hey kiddo, we're not going to have ANY accidents today, right?!" and then remind him that we're trying not to have accidents at times when he usually does (after school, in the car, during his quiet time).

Some other things we tried were a treat each time he went to the potty and didn't have an accident (like a few M&Ms), a sticker chart for each time he went, we did this thing where if he went a week, he got to go to the movies. None of these things have completely worked, but maybe some of this will work for you.

I know with the 4 yo that I watch, I really think a pop on the behind might help in many areas of his behavior, haha.

Good luck!

hismineandours's picture

i would try and find out why she is doing this. My guess is that it is also a control issue. Kids can control 3 things, bathroom habits, eating, and sleeping. When kids feel out of control they often use these things to feel as if they are in control. That's not to say it is a conscious thing. As in-its not likely she is saying to herself, "I'm gonna poo myself so I can feel in conrol"-so a spanking is not likely to do any good.

I would look for ways for her to gain control in your household. Give her choices that you can live with. You can wear this outfit today or that one. You can have chips or carrots with your sandwich. You can watch tv or play outside. Also is she constipated? Most people automatically say no-as duh, she's pooping her pants. But she may indeed be constipated and holding if for so long that eventually it sort of just um, explodes. Make sure she is getting plenty of water. I'd also put her on a bathroom schedule. She needs to go to the bathroom every hour and at least try to poop. Maybe get her a little watch in which the alarm goes off on the hour-then set a timer for 5 minutes in the bathroom.

I know this is gross-but I dont really think she is doing it on purpose. It is likely indiciative of far bigger problems and it would be better to address those than focus on this one issue.

sasha101's picture

I had a friend whose son messed his pants regularly during his contact weekends with him. It turned out that the poor kid was being abused by his stepdad, whom he lived with. I'm not saying this is what's going on with your skid, but another poster sugggested it could be a sign of major stress and/or that she is being abused. If a dr has ruled out a physical cause, it sounds like she needs an evaluation as to whether there are any emotional/mental issues that could be causing it. What is her behaviour like in other ways? I know my friend's son was extremely clingy and attention seeking and would cry and whine hysterically if his dad went out of view even for a few minutes, because in the kid's eyes his dad was the only person in his world who represented safety and security. Your SD might be doing it to gain some kind of control and/or attention, or on the other hand it might be a sign that she's suffering some serious psychological trauma which needs investigating. I think the other poster's suggestion of looking up signs that children may be suffering abuse is a good one and might help you work out if that's a possibility.

Buzybee82's picture

ok its so out of controll with her! yesterday hubby and i were painting and she was asking over and over if she could help and hubby said no we only have 1 roller and 1 brush. then she ask the 4th time and he says ok! omg! he's only teaching her that if she ask enough eventually he will say yes. then shes eating yogurt and spills some on the ground....im watching all this happen....she see's that she spilled some and doesnt clean it up! my husband steps in it! so i say oh did you step in yogurt? he says so you both knew and didnt do anything about it? i said ya i saw and she knew she did it so i was waiting for her to do the right thing. waiting for her to be a honest person cuz youve been having these talks with her! she was laughing! he had another talk about honesty and her response was its kind of funny: he and i both said no its not!
later were all on a family bike ride, shes in front and theres a man walking on the sidewalk. so i tell her to yell at him and tell him were passing on the left. she doesnt do it. she acts like a little baby and says what do i say? i tell her again, she still doesnt do it. instead she stops! causing me to stop, and my husband to stop and fall of his bike (brand new $1199 bike) into a busy road with cars zooming by! he was so lucky he didnt get ran over! he did hurt himself and his new bike all because she wouldnt do what shes told!
when we get home i asked her to close the garage door (meaning the one from the kitchen to the garage) and she closes the big garage door. i said if you ever close that door you have to make sure there is nothing in the way before cuz theres no sensor and it will break things. she gets this huge attitude and talks to me like im stupid and says "duh i know! my mom has a garage door too!" i said "oh you know?!" (because she did not check to see if anything was in the way) and with a hude head flipping agtitude she says "yeaaaaaaaaaa" totally disrespectfully and huge attitude! so i say go to your room. she comes out less than a min later acting like nothing happened! in front of her i said to my husband does that deserve punishment? much to my surprise he puts her in time out for an hour and tells her its not ok to disrespect me ever!
later were getting ready to go to my in laws....he ask trin to just play with our 1 year old while we take a quick shower....weve had MANY talks with sd about being too rough with our 1 year old....anyway she doesnt know it but i didnt get in the shower. i could hear her playing way too rough so i go hide to watch whats going on. she has our 1 year old tied up with a big toy snake and is dragging her around on the carpet by her arms!!! i said what the hell are you doing?!?! i was fing pissed!!! weve had this talk soooooo many times. she said she was playing rough with her! i said why? she said because she didnt know i wasnt in the shower and she didnt think she would get caught! i have had it. i mean NOTHING works with this girl. i had a serious talk with her about how much her daddy misses her and just wants to have fun when shes here and he cant cuz shes always pulling this bullshit and has to spend all his time having talks with her. told her shes breaking her daddys heart every time she does this stuff and she needs to think of other peoples feelings....and minutes later she'll do something else! i mean what do we do? do we punish her? keep having talks with her? give up on her? what would u do? and its rubbing off on my 1 year old! she sees her sister throwing fits and freaking out all the time and she does it too! it takes days to get her back to her normal self after my sd leaves!
please help! what would u do? this is a shortened version of a day with her....believe it or not theres even more!
what would u do?

Most Evil's picture

I think she needs an immediate spanking from her dad - repeat as needed!!

Buzybee82's picture

Nope Instead he let her have a sleep over last night & is taking her out today to the bike store cuz she didn't get to go friday cuz she shit her pants for the 2nd time & she really wanted to go. Didn't invite me or our daughter! Just Told me they were going!

Wow.... if you can/have ruled out an underlying medical/mental health issue, make her accountable. She'd probably be humiliated if her friends knew?? No more interactions to the behavior, no long talks about it, no daddy helping her error her butt, she can clean herself. & if she doesn't do it well enough, she can deal with the social implications of being the kid who poops her pants. Maybe consider an adult diaper? She won't like that.

Dumby's picture

This child probably has ENCOPRESIS. Please look this up and read about it. My son who is 10 suffers from this and has since he was 3 1/2 years of age. It is disgusting, frustrating, and horrible for all involved. The child does not need punished she needs treatment. I recently started Soiling Solutions with my son and so far we have had moderate success.

Punishment will only make the child feel worse than she already does. It is not a control issue....it is not a way to get attention. Trust me she probably does not understand why she poops in her pants any more than you do.

Anyone that has a child with this issue has a tough road to follow.....I am so blessed that my DH is understanding and supports the treatment we try. It has been rough combining our families because we do not want my child to be ridiculed by his for messing his pants.

We have been through the lying, the hiding of his underwear, and much more. Kids that do this get used to the smell and do not realize they are dirty.

PLEASE LOOK UP ENCOPRESIS AND come back and let us know what you think. Also if you have any questions I can answer let me know and I will give you my e-mail address.

sarebear's picture

I was just going to say this. My SS12 was having this issue and we were getting pretty upset with him thinking that he was still having accidents. After about 6 months of a Miralax regimine, he is much better. Before the skidmarks in his pants were disgusting and he stunk a lot of the time. Now he has normal 12 year old boy skid marks and smells like a 12 year old boy (which is unpleasant a lot of the time in and of itself!).

Like the commenter said, look it up. My SS was lying about it too.

bribaby1105's picture

My daughter (5) was doing this sporatically as well. At first I thought it was medical, so I took her to the doctor. Doctor said she was a little backed up and gave her miralax. We got everything flowing and then she would do it again. Now, at this point there was nothing wrong. The problem is, once they start, for some reason it's hard to stop. Finally, once I asked her why she was doing it, she said "I just didn't want to stop playing" Then I realized that it was pure laziness. At first we had a "talk" and she promised she would use the potty. Next time I sent her to bed early...after that I spanked her butt(not hard, basically just hurt her feelings)...LAST time I grabbed one of my son's diapers (he's 2) and I said "well, if you can't be a big girl and go on the potty..then you have to wear diapers like a baby" She FREAKED..she ran under her bed crying "no, I don't wanna wear a diaper!" I got her from under her bed..and almost forced the diaper on her until she finally said "I won't do it again, I promise!!" This was about 3 months ago and haven't had a problem since!

MamaDuck's picture

My DD did this from age 7 till 9, for her it was connected to her anxiety disorders.

Rags's picture

I would have SD 9yo in a diaper all day every day including at school. Since you have confirmed with a Doc that this is not a medical issue it is definately a her choice to be the Shit Beast. So apply the consequences.

We did not have this specific problem but my SS did start wetting himself fairly regularly when he was about the age that your SD is. We got sick of dealing with the smell and the extra laundry. Nothing worked. We took him to his Doc. No problems were found.

We finally put him in a diaper. We did it on a Friday night when he wet his bed. He refused to go outside and play on Sat and Sun but we purposely went out to eat several times that weekend and we did have some visitors that weekend. He was mortified to have to wear a diaper in public and he closed himself in his room while our visitors were there.

Bedtime on Sun we sat him down, told him that he had a choice. Wet his bed and wear a diaper to school or don't wet his bed and don't wear a diaper all day every day until he resolved the issue. He put on his underwear that night and never wet his bed again.

So I would go with a diaper for your SD. If that does not get the point across then start spanking her bare butt each and every time she shits her drawers (after you hose her bare butt off in the backyard with the garden hose) and then put her in a diaper.

I forecast that it will take no more than one spanking/diaper day and this will be a resolved behavioral problem.

Effective consequences should resolve this fairly quickly.

Oh man..... this is 100% a control issue by SD. He needs to stop all interaction related to helping her when she poops her pants. She sure knows how to get his undivided attention! At 9, she has bowel control just like the rest of us. Is key her walk around with shit in her pants & not mention it unless it's time for her to ride in my car- then I'd tell her she can't get in my vehicle like that. She needs to clean herself up completely with no assistance, it will remove the positive reinforcement from the behavior. I'd also get get into some counseling, that's rather abnormal for her age. If you stop acknowledging it (or only to point out that she smells & can't go in your car like that) & he stops reinforcing it with undivided attention, I would think she'll learn that this behavior doesn't get the desired outcome anymore. I'd also make HER pack & bring a bag of clean clothes & baby wipes everywhere. You'd think she'd be sensitive to the social reaction of pooping her pants. If not, let her see her friends at the mall when she's just shit her pants. And no new clothes- anything until she's gone a month without the behavior. Good luck.

OMG_Why_Me's picture

SS12 is doing the same thing. He has been diagnosed with ADHD and is on meds. bio mom and bio dad have talked to his couselor about it. Since he doesn't do it in school also then it's probably not a medical issue. The counselor felt it was attention seeking and control. He recommended SS12 to wash his own underwear and cloths when it occures and to be alone when he does it. He said by making him wash his cloths alone it will take away control through this mechanism and also teach him this is no way to get attention. We now no longer make a fuss, we hand him the bucket and soap and send him to the laundry room by himself to wash his cloths and hang dry them. Since this approach has been taken consistently, the accidents have stopped at our house. Bio mom didn't agree with it and is handling in her own way....by the way....it's still happening at her house! Smile