You are here

I'm done being a stepmon

neph90's picture

Hi there, just wanted to vent...

DH and I met 5 years ago, been married for less than a year, and I'm ready to quit this relationship.
I know my SS since he was 5. His mother abandoned him and his dad because she fell in love with someone else, and moved to another country. From what I've been told, she would abuse him and hit him at the smallest mistake (dropping a glass of water on the table equals a slap to the face). BM and DH would always yell at each other in front of SS, throw things and hurt each other verbally in front of him.

He's always been a difficult child, talking back, always angry with me. He's very smart, so he always acts like he knows more than everyone else, and everyone else is stupid, it's pretty much impossible to have a conversation with him because he always knows better and lets you know your stupid. He's always throwing tantrums when you don't buy him everything he wants or don't do the things he wants to do. I know in some way he loves me, he just doesn't seem to want to listen to me.

From the start I picked up the parenting role in the household (DH and I never had time to develop our relationship without him). DH never set any rules, I had to do the work, he always needed to give SS everything because he was abandoned by his BM. He would go to sleep at 5am playing video games all day long. He would yell at me everywhere when I didn't do everything he demanded. Finally, I had to put my foot down and demand we go to a therapist.

For a while things seemed to improved, yet my DH never did any parenting. He also never wanted to spend alone time with SS, I would ask him to, but he would refuse, because when he was a child, his mom and stepdad never did any child related activities with him, he believes SS doesn't need to. He would never go out with SS if I wasn't there. I would take SS to the park by myself and try to bond with him, and on those times we were alone, we got along better. I could tell my SS resented me because his dad would only spend time with him with me there.

On top of the lack of any parenting, my SS has always had anger issues. He would yell at me in public, in front of his son, and in front of my whole family, just as SS would do. I'm always being told that because I'm not his bio mom, I treat him badly, or that I'm too strict, or that I'm mean, and that I just don't understand that he acts that way because of his bio mom ditching him to go live a child-free life. He has expressed regret in front of SS multiple times (saying in front of SS "my only mistake in life is having a son", "if I didn't have him I could travel around and do a bung of stuff").

We have broken up two times before, the last one because I found out he was seeing other women behind my back. In that time he would travel a lot, leaving me and my SS alone, and those times he would listen to me and do the things I asked of him, and I though our relationship was getting better. I forgave him for his cheating (even though he says he never slept with anyone else), and we married less than a year ago.

Since our marriage everything seems to have gotten worse. SS is almost 10 now, and I know there's stuff that's normal for a child that age (not wanting to take a bath, not wanting to help with the dishes or house chores, etc). I know this. I just ask for my DH to back me up. But he undermines every decision I take. If he's not willing to parent his child because "he's suffered enough with his mom abandoning him" at least he could not detriment my efforts in parenting. If SS would punch a kid at school, yell at a teacher, be rude to other kids, I would try to discipline him in some way (most of the time, no video games or tv) just for DH to come and tell me I'm being mean and uncaring, and remove the consequences. If SS would embarrass him in public, he resorted to physical punishment (in our country it's not frowned upon) even when I told him that's not the way to make SS understand. Otherwise DH would just spend his time playing video games.

SS would talk to me in incredible rude ways in front of DH (like if I asked him to repeat something because I didn't heard him, he would reply "are your ears dirty or are you deaf?"), and DH would never back me up or demand SS to treat me with respect.

When I get too frustrated with the situation and vent to DH, he gets angry with me, and walks out of the house with SS, taking him to a park or McDonalds (no wonder SS feels that I've stolen his dad away from him, he just takes him out with him when he gets mad at me). He always buys him whatever he wants, regardless of bad behaviour. He gets expensive clothing, shoes, video games, ice cream, etc. He breaks toys (when he gets angry he smashes them and breaks them) and gets new ones without any consequences.

Besides that, SS says his mom doesn't come back to be with DH and him because I'm here, and I would go, BM would come back to them. He's in bed moving his head from left to right repeating "I don't have to listen to her, she's not my mom" like in a trance.

DH just made a huge scene in a vacation we were going with my family, yelled at me in front of everyone, and walked out with SS (costing us a ton of money). He did this because I've exploded with our therapist and he DID NOT like that (I said I don't know what else to do with SS and that I'm incredibly unhappy with the situation, and that DH does not want to help out, all of this things I've said to DH before many times, and he gets angry at me).

I've decided it's enough. I can't take a husband who disrespects me in public, who refuses to parent his OWN son, who let's me take all responsibility, and on top of that tell's me I'm mean to his son, just because I want him to do chores around the house and not be rude to me. I can't take this anymore. Now I'm being told I'm throwing our marriage down the drain because I don't take him back (now he's saying he's going to change, but he's said this before). That I'm hurting and traumatising his son because another mother abandons him again. Well, if he didn't want this to happen, maybe he could make an effort in raising his son, and not just playing video games.

Now SS is telling people I threw a bible at him and broke his lip (DH asked me if this is true, well If he didn't notice his son walking around with a broken lip, maybe he's not such a good father as he claims) and that I treat him like Cinderella (because doing your dishes and helping to take out the trash if such an abuse).

And I love my DH with all my heart, but I'm tired of all this BS, of being under appreciated and being the bad guy. Maybe I am losing the love of my life, but I can't anymore. I gave it my all, I've read books on step parenting, on dealing with difficult children, but it's all useless if DH does not support me. I've tried disengaging without success (DH would go weeks without taking a bath or doing school work). I know because I love my DH I could try again, but for what? Two months of effort and back to the same 'ol? There's a bunch of stuff that's good in our relationship, but it just comes out when SS is away on summer vacation with his grandparents. When he's with us we're always fighting about him. I've come to the conclusion that DH is not a good parent, and the kid's screwed because BM is also a mess.

I feel bad that I'm leaving DH in a difficult place because of my income, I feel bad that SS is going to suffer, but enough is enough. Sorry for the TLDR

fairyo's picture

Enough is enough- you have done far more for this child than many would, or should, have done, and you say you love your DH with all your heart, sorry but it doesn't sound as if he loves you or his son that much.
DH is not a good parent, the kid was screwed before you arrived and BM is a mess. Get out, make a better life for yourself with someone who deserves you. That's my advice.

neph90's picture

I know that now. I no longer care I'm told I'm ruining this kid's life, I did everything I could to make this work. Thanks for the support

CANYOUHELP's picture

Get out of this horrible, intolerable situation you are in...Your DH does not deserve anybody as generous as you. Let the women he is fooling around with behind your back raise his emotionally disturbed child.

Start planning and packing now....

ETexasMom's picture

He's not the love of your life. He cheated on you, he emotionally abuses you, and allows a child to disrespect you. What part of that is love?

ndc's picture

Leave. This man is a terrible father, a terrible husband, and frankly, a terrible person. He does not deserve you, and you do not deserve the treatment you're getting from him. I would leave as soon as I possibly could. Good luck to you.

Disneyfan's picture

"...and the kid's screwed because BM is also a mess."

The kid is screwed because he has two piece of shit parents.

still learning's picture

^Yup. If he had at least one caring parent he'd probably be okay but one ran off and the other one checked out. Sad for the kid.

neph90's picture

I will continue to go to therapy, and work on my own issues. I'm just disappointed that all the effort I put into this relationship was for nothing. I'm so glad you're looking out for yourself, hope you're safe and happy soon.

still learning's picture

It wasn't for nothing, you learned valuable life lessons on what to tolerate and what to look for in future relationships.

oneoffour's picture

I feel so bad for you. You stick this out to be a good person and you get shat on at every turn.

So give the boy what he wants. Leave so his mother 'can' return. Give them all what they want. To live in their own dysfunction.

I would have left after the 2nd fling. I can forgive the first time if there was a change in behavior. But the 2nd time? Start packing. You need to leave so you don't drown in this mire. It is sucking the life out of you. Disrespectful preteen and his useless father? Blah!

Although being told that he is a mistake must be messing with SSs head. If I was told I was a mistake no amount of shopping sprees would ever take those words away. And if your husband thinks his childhood was OK, he had his bio parents living together although pretty remote and distant.

You have done all you can for this situation. DO not get involved with anyone while you sort out your life and get back on track or you may walk into a similar situation.

Valkyrie's picture

Just because you love someone does not mean they are good for you. The essence of a relationship for a woman is love, respect, trust and protection and DH fails at all of these. As you say, you are the one putting in all the effort and he is giving nothing, in fact he is actively being a minus to your life. Yes, you can go back to the cycle where everything is fine for a while but then the same things will happen again, you are trapping yourself there because you love him and you feel guilty about leaving. Too often we accept less because of this. You can see what are you are going to get with DH, the choice to accept that is up to you. Please put that guilt aside and do what is right for you, you deserve to be happy. Wishing you the best.

still learning's picture

"Just because you love someone does not mean they are good for you."

Very true, because we fall in love w/those we are comfortable with meaning that they play some role from our own family of origin dynamics which is many cases were not always healthy.

Rags's picture

A marriage must be an equity life partnership. If it isn't, it is a waste of time.

Equity life partnership also means that the partners are equity parents to any children in the mix regardless of kid biology.

If your DH doesn't have your back with SS, does not treat you as his own equity life partner, does not prioritize you and the marriage over all else, and speaks to you in the way you indicate that he does... she is not only NOT your equity life partner, he is ENTIRELY unworthy of you or anyone else of character for that matter.

So, quit torturing yourself, cut your losses, and put this asshole and his shallow and polluted gene pool fading in your rear view mirror as you move on to a new phase of your life adventure.

Never again tolerate the presence of toxic people in your life and for sure never settle for an SO that is not entirely your equity life partner. This kid is a product of two wastes of skin parents and abject parenting failure. Your DH apparently is also a product of similar parenting.

Write these POS people off.

Take care of you.

Good luck.

Acratopotes's picture

I stopped reading when I read he already cheated on you.....

I wanted to say, Hon disengage from the child and stop parenting, not your kid and not your problem, be all over DH to parent his child, to do the cooking and the child's laundry and home work, you simply say - Not my kid not my problem and you find yourself hobbies and things to do, go out with friends etc.. leave DH to babysit his own child.

Then I read he cheated, now I'm saying... start working on an exit plan Hon, not your kid and not your problem, you are being used, you are a free nanny and bed warmer if DH has no other girl to satisfy him... simply work on an exit plan and walk away

Myss.Tique D'Off's picture

Your husband is "the love of your life"? :jawdrop:
After the laundry list of complaints you either have very low standards or a sardonic outlook.

All I can say is dump the loser and move on. His son is a lost cause too because Dad is a pathetic excuse for a father. I feel sorry for the child - but not the wretched human being you married.

Cut your losses. You deserve better.

neph90's picture

Yeah, right now I can't believe I forgave him. He brought me into his home to have a relationship with his child (who already went through the trauma of being abandoned by his mom) just to cheat? That just shows how little he cares about his son's well being.
Time to move on.

Cara1128's picture

OMG A 1000 times NO!

He cheats! He blames you for his life!
He emotionally abuses you and his son!
His family is helping him do this!

Go! Get out NOW!....NOW!

Loxy's picture

Sheesh, I didn't even have to read all your post to see the issue is not your skids it's your DH. He has zero respect for you, or his son, it would seem and you should feel zero guilt leaving.

You deserve better so I really hope you follow through and get out!