You are here

We are working at "working it out" but......

shes driving me crazy in my retirement's picture

Hi all, H is still living down at Twit's. We have gone to counseling sessions twice together but, well, it isn't sinking in yet. Perhaps he needs more time....so I hope.

He has asked about moving back in several times but I am holding my ground, as painful as it is. Better to go through this the one time than back and forth, back and forth.

I took advice and wrote down my concerns for the counselor and actually gave her a copy of things that needed to be addressed. When the topic, and it came up early, about Twit always talking about my demise and how she wants my stuff came up and I told about how I felt about such morbid talk and such greed, the counselor asked H how he felt about it. Interestingly, he didn't see why I would even be upset about it! He said he just considered it Twit talk, and that he doesn't listen to a lot of what she says. When I added that he told me to apologize to her, right in front of her, because I got upset at Twit for the comments (and as you know this was not a one time deal with Twit); he said he didn't see why I should be bothered but I should keep my cool!

So, as you can see, H has some growing to do here. Counselor pointed out that it was not right for Twit continually to be asking me what she is getting, pointing out what I SHOULD give her and talking about my demise. H pleaded ignorance on knowing that it bothered me. Man, just what planet is he residing on.

Counselor asked H why he allows Twit to talk to me as she does and treat me as she does since I have expressed how much it upsets me. No response from H.

I was impressed that the counselor, after listening to me, asked H questions. I didn't think they did that.

The second session I brought up about the nasty letter sent to me by Twit, that I never read but handed over to H and HE had a hissey about. Then, ended up in the hospital. She inquired what was in it that he got upset about and he never answered. She pushed him with it must not have been nice because he got upset about it. H is not talking. But then, H is like that, he doesn't like to let things out, talk about things that bother him etc.

After the second session I told him that this was make it or break it and he better put effort into it. He poo poos counseling, but we are going again Tuesday.

As for me, I'm drained. Not only has it been way too hot lately, but this stuff....well, it hurts. I love H, but I just don't want to put up with any more Twit stuff. Disengaging is great, but when Twit keeps coming at me all different ways, it does become a chore.

Oh, I did tell counselor that I have no intention of leaving Twit anything. I have a lovely daughter who is getting my items etc.

If this doesn't make a lot of sense, it is because I feel on overdrive right now. Funny, counselor asked if I could just ignore twit, not take it personally, etc. My response - Heck NO! Enough is enough. I am tired of junk for gifts, snide remarks, talk about my demise (probably the sooner the better where Twit is concerned), the crying to daddy, the always wanting but never offering to reciprocate. The constant take take take and how SHE says SHE deserves it.

Man, this is hard work. I think H, is starting to finally get it after the last session and has a lot to start to pounder.

hereiam's picture

Ignoring Twit is one thing (besides being impossible), but how can you be expected to ignore the fact that your DH does not take up for you and does not see how terrible Twit is to you? How can HE ignore how she treats you? That hurts and that cannot be ignored.

I am sorry it has come to this. I had to go back to your other post, as I had missed the part about him going to stay at Twit's.

Yep, he's at Twit's and from what he says to me, she would like him gone soon. I guess that is a big hint that I should allow him to come back. No way, until this matter is solved. Twit can deal with daddy. Perhaps if Daddy has enough of Twit he will put her in her place once and for all. One can hope.

20YearsAsAStep-Mom's picture

I am glad you are going to a counsellor, however it sounds like the counselor is missing the point. Counselor seems focused on YOU dealing with TWIT more than DH standing beside his wife and defending her at all costs. This is what a marriage should be.

My DH has trouble defending me too and we also went to counselling. Our counselor did the same thing with us, focused on ME dealing with the situation. Didn't seem to address DH and my relationship enough. We eventually went to a different counselor who focused on family hierarchy and this really hit home for DH. He understood that SD should not be as high on the pole as he had put her. We still have some issues so all is not perfect, but we are working on it too.

I think with some guidance your counselor could get back on track. I really do like the fact that he / she asked questions to try to find out more. This is REALLY good. I sure do hope your DH wakes up and realizes what is really wrong in this situation, and it is NOT you in any way!

20years - I think that when she brought that up she wanted me to express just why I felt I should put up with Twit nonsense in front of her and H. Perhaps it is one thing for me to tell him how Twit makes me feel with her nonsense, but another when I am willing to express the same feelings to another person about her. I don't know, just a guess.

Sambolina1's picture

Good for you going to counseling. My perspective about your twit and all like her is she only behaves in ways she knows she will get away with. You shouldn't bear the brunt of it, dad needs to put her on notice that it is no longer acceptable, period. No more excuses saying, "well, that's just twit!" She doesn't have to be your BFF but cordial and polite, yes. He needs to make those expectations known! How he doesn't see this must be very frustrating!

Hi Ima - You are right, H just is not getting it so far, at least he is not admitting it if he does. H has said, along with my son-in-law (Twit's hubby) that Twit has some "problems" BUT Twit doesn't have the right to drive me crazy because of them.

sandye21's picture

You are doing the right thing by letting DH stay at Twit's house. Anyone would feel the way you do if faced with Twit's behavior. I really think he knows what Twit is like and he knows you are right, that he should be backing you up as his wife. Otherwise he wouldn't have been so bent out of shape over the letter. He just wants the easy way - move back in and everyhthing back to as it was. Don't let it happen. You have given him the chance to open his mind and start acting like a Husband. You wrote you think DH is finally starting to get it. Let's hope for his sake that he does or he will be the one who loses the most.

Totally agree Sandye. He has to acknowledge what is going on and how just dealing with Twit once or twice doesn't seem to take care of it as she continues her harassment.

I have to say, it made me very uneasy with her constant talking about my demise and getting at my stuff. Ghoulish. We are all mortal and our days will eventually end, but listening to Twit talk about my end with her gain is, well, sends shivers down my spine.

No matter what happens, must see she is banned from my hospital room should anything happen to me. She would probably be doing a happy dance while I take my last breathes. She is SICK.

20 years - I think the counselor is in the early steps of dealing with us and only has the points that I gave her right now. H. isn't saying much right now. Perhaps being enlightened by a third party with nothing to gain will start him thinking. I do hope so.

hereiam's picture

she would like him gone soon

Well, that's just too bad. Maybe the longer they are stuck with each other, they will both think about how it came to this and what their part was.

I doubt Twit's thought process will ever change (there is something seriously wrong with her) but she at least needs to learn to shut her mouth and stay out of your and DH's relationship and business.

I love my dad, but I sure as hell don't want him living with me. No matter what I think of my dad's wife, I always want them to get along!

Yes, hereiam, there IS something seriously wrong with her. What I am dealing with is not just a smirk, etc., it is some real nasty stuff from a person who does have problems.

She wouldn't tell the truth if it hit her in the head.

H was telling me that he went to SIL's father's estate auction last weekend. According to H and SIL (reputable) the heirs agreed that they could bid on whatever they wanted and that amount would come off their share of the estate - thus no one pays anything. He said Twit was complaining to him because they had bought so much they were going to have to pay outright. He was using this as a way to try to explain to me about her flawed logic and exaggeration. He said she always was one to stir the pot.

I really wasn't in the mood to listen to excuse about Twit, but did respond that someone who lies all the time and exaggerates, tells tales about others and refuses to take responsibility for her actions when confronted, is a very, very hard person to deal with. That is the type of person I stay away from. Such a chronic liar she lies about little things that mean absolutely nothing like whether she saw a movie "Angels and Demons". I once asked, when the movie was out, if she had seen it. Oh yes, wasn't it good, was her response. Later it comes out that she never saw it. Not that this matters, but WHY the lying over something so inconsequential?

Good morning wowthisishard. I can agree with your experiences. As it stand now, H might be at Twits for a long time.

I refuse to have to put up with any more Twit nonsense period. I disengaged, and that was great, for awhile. But sicko's like Twit never quit. She actively would seek me out to pull more Twit carp to try to get my goat. Knowing her mode of operation, I would laugh at her or walk away, but she kept on coming. This stuff about my demise, well, that is beyond the pale IMO. Death, any one's death is no joking matter. And the ghoulish comments about taking and wanting my possessions, well, that is way off base. This wasn't the first time she pulled that carp with me, several times I just laughed at her and walked away. She WANTS pretty much sums it up.

In this instance, the thing that brought Twit's ghoulishness up was that she saw a braclet in my antique store that she wants. She even told H (who passed it on to me) that "she needs to talk to me about inheritance before I put things like that bracelet out for sale" BIG hint that I should give it to her. I told H it was my decision to sell it as it was MINE, that she could buy it if she really "loved it". Twit wants it badly. That is interesting.....she gives me garbag ashtrays, resin plates from the junk store or garage sales and WANTS me to give her nice things, good things. I never use to feel this way, but what she does is show her disdain for me so why should I be generous to her?

I come from a family that, when I am out traveling or even shopping, if I see something my daughter would adore I might just pick it up and send it to her. She does the same thing. It shows that we think and value each other. Doesn't have to be Christmas, just the thought. Neither of us would dream of giving the other trash.

Twit, on the other hand, thinks only of herself and her immediate family (excluding H). She went to the Bahamas and showed off the jewelry she bought with larimar in in. She bought several necklaces for herself and for her son's girlfriend. Hell, we didn't even get a post card. YET she wants fine things from me for FREE. Now, in the past, if that were me, I would have picked up necklaces for my daughter, even Twit (at that time) and myself because I loved them and wanted to express my love. Cheap ashtrays and junk resin tash doesn't do that. She pulled them all out to "Show" us when she came back. AND, H actually was nice enough to watch their dogs while they were gone! No thanks, nadda. Typical Twit....me, me, me followed by YOU OWE it to me.

Oh, I did give H that carp back to give to Twit as I have no use for junk. He took it, but I doubt he will give it to her, he says he doesn't want to start any "trouble". Gee, I guess it is okay about her talking about me in my grave and being a grave robber, but he doesn't want to start trouble with her. Grrrr.

Want to add one more thingy about Twit. She wants that bracelet (and the other things she WANTS) so she is hitting Daddy to put pressure on me even at this time to give it to her. I did tell H that if she wants it she can BUY it, its for sale. No more freebies for Twit, no way, no how, not ever.

I also told H that if he wants to give it to her he can also BUY it from me. I would be happy to give him a 10% discount off the price. That I don't get anything from Twit except carp and grief and see no reason to give her anything nice. It's a two way street.

sandye21's picture

"It's a two way street." And it IS!! Why do you HAVE to give the bracelet to her for free? I can't understand WHY Twit or DH can't buy it if Twit wants it that bad. There's just more in this than the bracelet - like they want you bend for them. It's some kind of game. Can you think of anything of Twit's that YOU want? Then, "How about a trade?" Doesn't that seem fair? But I'll bet they won't go for a trade.

Twit wants it for free because she is CHEAP and feels we---I-- owe her. I owe her nothing. Believe me, the only time she picked up the tab for dinner (at a hamburger place no less) was because she had something in mind that she wanted. Otherwise she would have just let her dad pick up the tab for them as well.

From what H said (and note I am not referring to him as DH because I am still pizzed at what he did that day) she doesn't want to pay that much for it....it's too expensive for her. Bull, her husband makes a very good living. But she has expensive taste....the top of the line SS refrigerator, the top of the line washer and dryer, dishwasher, etc. and then cries poor mouth.
Sad thing is that even if I were inclined (which I am not, no way no how) to even want to give her this beautiful bracelet, she would take it, not bother to say thank you and blow me off as usual. Nope, hope she doesn't think she is going to get this for Christmas while she gives me a piece of garbage as a gift from a $1.00 box lot or garage sale. Christmas is Daddy's problem.

I have seen H a few times for lunch, coffee and of course our counseling sessions (which he detests and has no problem expressing that) and Twit must really be leaning on him for that bracelet as he has brought it up several times. Oh well, one of them needs to buy it.

I'm sorry to blab so much, it is just being alone in this house after all these years is so strange and can be lonely. Yes, I know I can have H come back, but not until issues are settled.

And I know I should get over it, but I am still upset about that last Twitscapade. It was just, well, too much. This Twit is one evil nasty piece of work.

Hi Justwow - A big thanks for your support, man this is tough.

As to the bracelet et. al., H wants to talk about things like that, or anything else, rather than talk about the real problem and a real solution to the problem --- Twit and her behavior towards me, and towards him as well. I guess it is called denial. Believe me, he KNOWS how I feel about the bracelet etc.

We have another counseling session tomorrow. I keep waiting for an epiphany on H's part. Yes, I understand Twit has problems, but why does he think I should be the one that has to be the butt of her problems? Certainly he can set some limits with her on her behavior towards me since when I do it she goes ballistic and keeps coming at me from all different directions. How can one stay disengaged when the "enemy" is always making sneak attacks. Twit is not normal, IMO, by a long shot. As I have said before, she scares the begesus out of me for some reason, and, as we all know, it is best to trust one's gut feelings. Perhaps it is because I have heard her bragging about what she does to people, how she goes out of her way to hurt people for no apparent reason other than meanness.

Oh yes, Twit wants. Before this bracelet there was a necklace she liked that I had for sale. That was when she told me I didn't understand the meaning of inheritance! I sold it so she was teed she didn't get it. I told her if she wanted it to buy it but she said it was too expensive for her. You see, FREE, is what her price point is in regards to stuff I have that she wants. Obviously I have some nice stuff that she wants, but she wants to be showered with things and be a.... TWIT.....in return. This bracelet is something that I found and paid for to sell in my store...stock. Just like her pots and pans are her stock. She certainly doesn't give us any deals or any of that stuff for FREE. As she once told H, it is HER business.

As she told H about the cheap ashtray, it is the THOUGHT that counts and wasn't I terrible, because I felt insulted by it, that I was "materialistic"!!!! Or like the time she let H and I sit out in the heat (over 96 degrees that day) because she took her time taking a shower because of the heat. No consideration, but we should be grateful that she even bothered to show. The few times H has asked her to help him out she acts as though she is being put upon and tells him that he OWES her. H one time commented how she is very generous with her husband's side of the family....gives them nice things, even PC pieces for free etc. Us, carp and lousy carp at that. And claims it is the THOUGHT that counts. Twit....I hear you loud and clear.

Twit treats H like carp as well, but he keeps letting it go....oh, she has problems, oh don't worry about it, etc. Disrespect is disrespect, period. Meantime she fawned all over her FIL, doing things for him, cleaning the house, etc. Why, because she was hoping to get $$ when he passed. Well, FIL divided the Mother's jewelry and didn't invite her over to participate in the distribution. Was she pizzed. She, she claims, is like a daughter to him....must have been his daughters that cut her out. Well, Twit, you just don't get it....the mother's jewelry should go to her NATURAL daughters, not a stepdaughter regardless of how you feel they should treat you. Since the FIL was still alive, and had $$, she blamed the daughters for being *itches and cutting her out, weren't they terrible, etc. she cried to H....boo hoo hoo. Took a while before he found out that the FIL did give Twit one of his wife's watches as a rememberance. Obviously that was not enough.

I'm so sorry to blab on this, I know I have posted it before, but it is really teeing me off at this stressful time. Counselling is early this afternoon and I'll see how it goes.

Delilah's picture

Wow I am aghast that your DH is continually bringing this bracelet up!!! :jawdrop: Is he serious?! I wouldn't even sell it to her, honestly when someone dumps on me from a great big height I will go out of my way to completely extract you from my life, this includes banning her from my shops!!

Have you put a timeframe on seeing how progress/no progress is made in your marriage? Your DH can be in denial as much as he wants, but that could be permanent, and at what point will he understand how serious things are? Perhaps you need to seek legal counsel to see where you stand regarding absolving your marriage. I think if he continues on these ridiculous subjects I would also only see him in counselling, he does not deserve to be rewarded in seeing you as it sounds like to me your DH genuinely thinks he will be back at home soon and he doesn't have to change!!

I hope I am wrong.

sandye21's picture

How about going to the Dollar Store and purchasing a bracelet, and letting DH tell her it's the thought that counts. I can not believe your DH continues to take part in this obvious double standard. I agree with Delilah - seek legal help, and if he continues just see him at counseling.

steppedonstep's picture

Tell H and Twit you had to sell the bracelet to help finance the counseling sessions which are necessary, of course, because of her behavior. Next you will be forced to sell the necklaces, rings, paintings, etc. Then, give it to your DD as a token of appreciation for coming to help you in your time of need.

Disillusioned's picture

This is probably the stupidest question I have ever asked but I wonder if your dh discusses the counseling with Twit since he is now living with her, and I wonder if she even thinks about all the problems she has created in your marriage and feels any quilt at all for what's occurred...

Hi disillusioned - Funny you would mention that because the counselor brought that up at our first session. Stressed that THIS was between US and no other family members need to hear about it or give advice. I thought that was pretty good.

Struggling stepmum's picture

Would normally encourage you to work on your marriage but she is wishing you dead?? And your H is acting like she is not that bad. What about if she actually physically hurt you?? Would he deem that ok? You are an independent woman. Do you want a wet blanket for a husband. He's expecting you to take the blame so he doesn't haven't to admit he's failed. Get away from his dangerous daughter and I'm sorry but equally dangerous husband. His weakness means he will never look after you. Let him be the one that's elderly and bullied by this girl. You can do better, so do I that's why I'm bordering on taking my own advice, they are weak now I don't want to live in fear my husband will buckle again with his kids. You should do the same. Hope you don't mind me saying leave him.