You are here

SLATE Advice Column on Estranged Father of the Bride

PilgrimSoul's picture

Hello everyone,

I hope you enjoy this story that hits very close to home for me. I love how decisive the advice is.

Please read and feel free to share widely!

https://slate.com/human-interest/2020/04/dear-prudence-coroanvirus-shelt...

Dear Prudence,

By all accounts, I had a great dad. When I was born, he left his corporate job to be a stay-at-home father. My father did everything, but my mother complained and criticized him for being a deadbeat. This turned into her calling him “violent” and “gay.” Before long, they were in counseling, and my mother called the police for “claiming he was going to kill her.” She had us testify against him for being a “child molester.” He got a full-time job, but she got him fired. During it all, my father never wavered in his love. He tolerated my mother’s abuse and continued to take us to activities and push us academically. We learned my mother was having a long-term affair and became secretly engaged to someone else.

When Dad finally divorced her, my sister became ruthless, refusing calls and texts. I followed suit and haven’t spoken to him in four years. Though I knew my father was sad, lonely, and suffering, we kids pitted our parents against each other to obtain trips and material items. Eventually, my father gave up. My mom, on the other hand, started being a caring mother. I learned on Facebook my father met a woman and is happily helping to raise her children. It saddens me that we never provided that for him.

Now I am getting married. I want my father there. My mother will be livid. I don’t think a wedding is a place for a reunion, but I feel if he isn’t there, I would, again, have betrayed him. I know my siblings will be equally harsh and I risk being ostracized. My mother still maintains her innocence and claims he “abandoned the family for being gay.” I don’t want to get married to avoid all of this. I am also afraid that my father, rightfully so, likes his new family better. What should I do?

—Estranged Father of the Bride

Please do not invite your father to an event where his abuser will not merely be present but presumably a central figure in your wedding party. The fact that you want your father at your wedding does not outweigh the importance of his physical and emotional safety.

You admit that your mother would be “livid” if he were to attend, and you’ve established a long-standing pattern that’s continued into adulthood of condoning and often enabling her abuse, even as you privately disapprove of it. That’s not to say that you are responsible for your mother’s abuse—that’s hers, and hers alone, and you were a vulnerable and bewildered child for much of it. But you can choose, as an adult, not to help perpetuate further abuse by asking your father to attend an intimate event with someone who falsely accused him of violence and child molestation.

I believe the best, safest, most loving course of action you can commit to is to see a therapist; to stop seeing your mother; and to begin to work out what peace, forgiveness, and meaningful change might look like for you. If you are not prepared to remove your mother from your life, I do not believe reconciliation with your father will be possible for you. To ask him to resume even indirect contact with her through you would be to threaten him with continued abuse. It may be that for right now, the best thing you can offer your father is continued noninterference. I hope he is safe, peaceful, and well. Please do not threaten that safety.

COMMENTS from the SLATE website:

Dear Estranged

I hope your father stays as far away from all of you as possible, cause frankly, you sound like horrible people.

I hope your dad does like his new family better, cause anything would be better than what you and your mother and siblings dished out.

John: Why would you invite your incredibly abusive mother to the wedding, but not your father?  Do not invite your mother, and invite your father. 

If you sisters ostracize you, all for the better.  Get the abusive people out of your life.

Have you written your father an apology letter?  That might be the best place to start.
Then you need some therapy how to stand up to your mom and this lifetime of epic gaslighting.

Wow. You guys ALL sucked toward your dad. WOW.

Maybe you could write him a letter apologizing for being such a complete _____ to him.

But don't drag him back into the cesspool of his former existence. LEAVE HIM ALONE. You crapped all over him long enough, don't you think?

You guys really are the children of your evil mother.

How selfish. SHE wants her dad at her wedding, but is there any reason to believe he wants to be there?

Why would he? Being manipulated by mom as a kid is one thing, but it doesn't sound she's done anything to make amends as an adult.

- How can he make amends when they won't take his calls?  The LW admitted this.

To the letter writer seeking advice RE her father's wedding attendance: stay out, sit down, and let your father enjoy the life he has now built. You as a young adult knowingly contributed to the cycle of violence he experienced, and I would bet money any contact from you would be PTSD-inducing for him. Bluntly, you made your bed; now lie in it. As Prudie posited, you are seriously considering bringing him face-to-face with his abuser again (a homophobic abuser, at that)--your lack of concern for his well-being speaks volumes. You remain self-centered, which apparently is a family trait inherited from your mother. My advice: get married, enjoy the kind woman you mother has now reportedly become, and let your father live his life and enjoy his new family (whom he does, to be clear, undoubtedly like more than you and your siblings--and with good reason).

LW2: you ARE an abuser. And, as abusers do, when you saw your dad happy and living his life, you immediately want to ruin that.

You want him back and miserable - how dare he be happy! Get in counseling. Work on yourself. Quit blaming your mom, and Leave Him Alone!!!

- AMEN to this, and as a male survivor of family assault, I thank you. So often the male survivor is dismissed, diminished, and disregarded.

If ever there was the perfect argument for eloping, Estranged Father of the Bride has one. It sounds like she treated her father terribly and now regrets it, but her mother and her siblings are completely devoid of remorse for their bad acts. She needs to ask herself why she even wants them to be part of her special day.  Call off the wedding and plan a private ceremony. Meanwhile, LW should offer a sincere apology to her father for her callousness and attempt a reconciliation that will include introducing him to her fiance.

Re: Estranged Father of the Bride:  Based on what you wrote, your father was a saint!  In spite of an abusive, lying and viciously vindictive wife (your mother!) your father was unwavering in his love and support for you and your siblings.  In spite of that, you all manipulated him for petty cash and material things before you all cut him out of your lives in favor of your mother, who apparently had a come to Jesus moment and suddenly became "caring."  I call BS on that.  You should be ashamed of yourself for how you've treated your father.  Now you suddenly want him around because you're getting married, but as usual, you're worried about setting off your mother and your siblings.  Try learning how to think for yourself!  If you truly want to make amends with your father then do so but make sure you do it from a place of genuine love and repentance for your behavior, not because you want a picture perfect father-daughter dance at your wedding.

YES re the LW regarding her father. She is still quite self-absorbed and narcissistic.  Even now her primary concern is whether he 'loves his new family' more than her/her siblings. Oy vey. 

Estranged Dad - sit down and have a talk with your father. Please do not take a choice to attend your wedding away from him. Let it be his choice. He may be strong enough to endure whatever happens. Also look inside yourself and make sure you are strong enough too. Unfortunately in life we have to rock the boat sometimes because to do otherwise is not healthy

If I was the father I would want to be nowhere near that family for the first time at a wedding. If this person cared even an iota, they would start with sending a letter of apology or an email. Just some means of communication that doesn't involve him having to respond. The mother is evil and the children inherited that trait. They have shown no remorse and at this stage in their lives, blaming their mother passes their own blame on. I was disgusted by this letter and Prudie went easy on the LW about their responsibilities. The father owes them nothing at this point.             

The children didn't inherit an evil trait, they were abused an manipulated children dependent for survival upon a lunatic. This IS the remorse - she literally says she doesn't want to betray her father again.

The children are as awful as the mom. You can't blame the mother for everything, always. And, people are based on their actions which all of them have been consistently awful. Therefore, they should be left. 

Well the best way not to betray him again is to leave him the F alone. Let him live his happy life instead of trying to open old wounds or have him relive his sadness that his offspring are terrible

The real question isn't whether or not she should invite her father. It's why does she want her mother and siblings - clearly terrible people with no sense of remorse - at her wedding.

She herself has no real remorse, either. Her chief concern appears to be whether or not he 'loves his new family' more than her/her siblings. 

I totally agree with you - don't take the choice away from him.  It is also wrong to assume he is going to react like a SWJ.  In his generation, people were less    sheltered and more expected to stand up to bullies and problems on their own.  He might have a rougher layer of skin than the average twenty-something year old.

NO NO NO re LW's father. You are engaging in what is sadly all too common, which is minimizing the experience of male survivor of violence. Would your advice be the same were this a mother rather than a father who had been abused???

Do you not grasp that YOU victimized him, too. You helped murder his soul for stuff, now you want to lay it on your mother and start over like you did nothing.

If I were your father I would tell you to your face that I wish you nothing but pain. Sorry, not sorry.

ldvilen's picture

Now this is an interesting comment: “But don't drag him back into the cesspool of his former existence.”  And this, “You ARE an abuser. And, as abusers do, when you saw your dad happy and living his life, you immediately want to ruin that.”  Some pretty intelligent responses, I’d say.

“If you truly want to make amends with your father then do so but make sure you do it from a place of genuine love and repentance for your behavior, not because you want a picture perfect father-daughter dance at your wedding.”

Also, what makes her think her father would want to participate however she saw fit and that he'd want to attend without his wife by his side?  I'm sure zero thought was given to that.  Like someone said, "Is there any reason to believe he wants to be there?"  So, here she's assuming he'd come in a flash if she asked him to, and come alone.  What else is she assuming--that dad and mom will walk her down the aisle together?  Obviously, it bugs the h- out of me when brides and bridal parties go around making all of these assumptions about who will be with whom on their wedding day when dad and mom have been divorced for years.  All I've ever seen is couples, spouse, SO, date, are seated side-by-side, together.  Even SS's GF of three months will get to sit up front by him!  However, there is one notable glaring exception:  SM (dad's wife).  Who the h- knows where she'll wind up.  Heck!, step-dads, if anything, get to walk their SDs down the aisle!  But SM, Pfft.  That's one hell of a double-standard, in the year 2020.

CompletelyPuzzled's picture

I feel like this is a trap for the dad.  If he shows up to the wedding, he will be ostracized and experience the abuse all over again. If he doesn't show up, then the LW will be complaining that he abandoned her on her special day and clearly never loved them.  This man cannot win.  He would be better off to ignore any contact from his daughter, as she still doesn't seem overly concerned about his well being.

sandye21's picture

"That's one hell of a double-standard, in the year 2020."  The SM was mentioned (briefly) once, and is obviously not even considered as a 'guest' of the wedding.  SM is not mentioned once in the subsequent 'advice'.  In fact, her Father's wife doesn't seem to fit into this equation at all except as some object on the periphery.  A non-entity.

This 'double standard' was imposed on us by society over 100 years ago, and has been allowed to perpetuate without any improvement in the perception of what a real SM is.  I sincerely hope the collective image of a SM will eventually change but I'm not holding my breath.

Exjuliemccoy's picture

nice to see you back. Your posts/comments are always thought provoking.

Great topic, with great responses. I'm glad Prudy came down hard on the LW.

Yet again, this is NOT about a COD wanting to fix her broken relationship with her father. While there are a few teeeeensie glimmers of humanity in the LW's letter, basically she wants what she wants - the perfect photo op on her speshul day. Once again we see a parent (or step parent) marginalized, victimized, cast aside, and never even thought of UNTIL the COD wants something from him. As idvilen points out, it doesn't even occur to the LW  that her father has a wife, whose children are technically step siblings: that he's a sentient being who may hold her accountable for the awful things she did to him; or that inviting him to her wedding without first putting in the work to reunify would be a slap in the face.

What these twisted skids/CODs fail to understand is, that parent they mistreated and cast aside isn't just frozen in time, devotedly waiting for them to snap their fingers. People move on; they rebuild their lives, and seek happiness elsewhere.

I think Prudy did a good job in encouraging the LW to look inward and seek therapy. In fact, she should work her daddy issues out before inflicting them on her first ex husband.

still learning's picture

If the LW truly wanted to change her attitude and have a possible relationship with her father, dragging him to her wedding is not the way to do it.  It sounds like her mother, sister, and herself are extremely toxic. She sounds too immature to get married right now and should fix her issues before she makes that commitment.  When she does get married, the best thing to do would be to elope and avoid the wedding entirely. 

I don't beleve she needs to stop talking to her mother but to realize that her mother is flawed and was in the wrong. She needs to apologize to her father, reach out online or through a letter first. Absolutely do not drag him to a family gathering into the lions den! Just like many stepparents have to keep our relationship with our husbands separate from the relationship with his kids; the LW needs to approach her father alone without dragging the mother or sister into it.  

Exjuliemccoy's picture

Definitely immature.

But I'm biased, because a few years ago my DH's thirty-something daughter texted, asking him to walk her down the aisle. We've been estranged from her for well over a decade. YSD behaved very badly, mistreating both of us and causing a lot of damage before basically running away at nineteen. So like the woman who wrote to Prudence, years of no contact or concern for her dad as a human being, then she reached out, but only because she wanted something of him.

I find this behavior disgusting. It's also crass, insulting, delusional, and selfish to the nth degree. Yet over and over on this site we see fathers who are marginalized and reduced to being one dimensional money machines, and skids who are taught it's okay to exploit family for personal gain. I do hope the LW sees those responses to her letter. And I hope she leaves her father the H@ll alone.

shamds's picture

Image for friends and family when they’ve abused their parent and stepparent, step/half siblings because a hcgubm brainwashed or guilted them to.

if you can’t be bothered to maintain an active relationship thats unconditional (meaning its not dependent on parent being an atm or doing favours for you that you do not deserve), it’s hypocritical to guilt them and demand they walk you down the aisle

ldvilen's picture

Yet so many do.  I said a long time ago that the way divorced dads are treated at many of their own children's weddings is akin to that of being a life-poster board cut-out of a "dad."  He is strictly there to put on a show and for photo ops.  He is there just to be placed where BM, his kids, wedding planner, clergy, etc. want him to be placed, and he certainly isn't permitted to have any say nor to admit or even remotely act like he has a wife or any “new” children.

Actually, I think the best thing these type of thinking brides or bridal parties could do is simply go on line and order a life-size cut out of "dad," and use that at the wedding instead.  They could order one standing and one sitting.  That way, they get what they want--photo opportunities--and at the same time dad (or his wife) is not being marginalized.  Real dad doesn't even have to show up!  Sounds like a win-win to me.  

shamds's picture

sd’s know bio mum was abusive and still is, thwy told hubby to suck it up and forget the past. Thatshe’s changed when she hasn’t.

even pressured him into meeting them at bio mums house. She trashtalkex hubby and me to the sd’s when she found out he was dating me then claimed hubby abandoned them to marry me and have 2 kids together.

sd’s even guilted hubby for moving on in life and marrying me and having 2 kids together despite bio mum marrying almost 11 yrs ago and we have only been married almost 5.5 yrs.

i wonder sometimes if sd’s or ss were to marry, bio mum is there and hubby is guilted into coming when he never wants to see exwife or be around her ever again. She is an abusive nutcase and would cause a scene and make hubby look like the perpetrator at his kids wedding, who wants that drama.

its just selfish to expect divorced parents suck it up for the sake of their kids wedding and to play this fantasy of my complete family being there when you know full well one parent is off the charts psycho and abusive and has tormented the other parent for life and still tries to... by enabling and tolerating the abuse and excusing it,  does not make you guilt free.

i mean in this case the daughters have been abusive to dad manipulating him, now they are judging him for loving his current family and skids more (well if they appreciate him when bios couldn’t, how is that they’re fault??)

hereiam's picture

What makes her think he even wants to attend her wedding? I wouldn't.

Her whole letter is all about how SHE feels.

Rags's picture

This entire initial family, the shallow and polluted gene pool  infected by BM are a write off.  Dad needs to write them off and enjoy his new life.   Never to engage with the spawn of BM again.   

strugglingSM's picture

I hope that someday, when SSs are wondering why they are estranged from DH, that someone points out that BM was an abuser. 

I'm also surprised that Prudy was so strong in her advice. Usually, she sides with COD as having a hard life and being entitled to recompense from parents, so I'm glad she called out that sometimes it's okay for one parent to move on, if the other parent is abusive to them.