You are here

Do your adult skids participate in this hurtful behavior?

Disillusioned's picture

So the night before the 'bridal shower conference call' OSD sends me a text message that the call will have to be rescheduled. I ask if it means it's off for the day and she says yes she's had a week from hell. I say I'm sorry to hear that, hope everything's okay.....but of course nothing more from her

I have no doubt we will hear some big news or drama concerning her shortly, but it will come after the fact and second=hand through FIL

I personally don't care about that, the less interaction with her the better, but this really hurts DH.

It's like just recently when we went to one of OSGS's events, FIL mentioned to DH at the event that SSIL's mother was diagnosed with lung cancer, had a procedure done, etc....DH was mortified because he was had been talking with SSIL and knew nothing about it at all. And of course neither did I. We both apologized to SSIL, told him we just found out that very second, and how sorry we were to hear it...it had happened some time ago Sad

DH was livid that no one had bothered to tell him, but then, this is the ploy OSD pulls all the time - she will deliberately withhold information about what's going on in her life, but make sure to tell DH's sister, YSD, and FIL so that DH will absolutely hear about the event, every time, but of course that only makes him aware of the fact that everybody else knew and he/we were excluded from OSD telling him

I think it gives her satisfaction, as she knows it hurts DH....I'm at the point that unless it's very serious, if I wasn't told by her then I simply carry on as if I don't know at all, and don't bother to acknowledge it. I don't give her an ounce of satisfaction in thinking I'm aware info was withheld from us. So if she is expecting a reaction, she gets none at all from me

I also don't bother to communicate anything going on in my life to her, DH really doesn't anymore either, so guess what OSD? it works two ways....!

sammigirl's picture

This is how I handle my SD56; I tell her nothing, DH doesn't visit with her often, any more. She lives one block up the street and texts DH once about every 10 days. SD drives by here at least once a day, going to town, and never stops to see Dad.

I'm delighted, but feel bad for DH, "sometimes". Wink

I don't ask about her or her family, I don't tell any of my business, not even to DH, if I think he may repeat it. I want no engagement at all with SD56, therefore it is working well for me.

It's called Peace and Quiet!

sammigirl's picture

I feel bad for my DH; SD56 never visits him without all the baggage. I just don't understand. I never take baggage, never have, to my father. It is very hurtful.

With all of that said, I didn't create this toxic woman (I've told DH, I will not take that blame), and she learned it from BM and DH; because they had a very bad 23 years of marriage and taught their three children the ugly side of life. All three of my skids show the results of a hateful family life. Too bad; I was raised in a care free life style; I know now how lucky I was. I hate confrontation. I love Peace.

This is why I refuse to be involved.

Disillusioned's picture

Very good advice beaccountable Smile and good for you for moving past all that!

Disillusioned's picture

Read my previous posts about it, that will give you your information

And I could care less about their hurting and exclusion tactics...it has no effect on me at all - best revenge there is!