You are here

DH dropped a bomb on me.....

Mominator's picture

Over the weekend, DH dropped a bomb on me. ----He wanted "us" to invite his brothers and SIL's (the non-supportive-lynch-mob-SD/BM-ass-kissing side) over with the rest of the family (the supportive-do-not-want-to-get-in-the-middle-of-our-business side) this summer for a big "fun family" BBQ. ---I about hit the roof. There is no way in hell those demon SIL's are stepping one ugly foot in my front door, NO, NOT EVER!!!!!

So, DH "rewards me" with behaving like a 2-year old and throws a temper tantrum ---he grabs a beer, stomps outside, and completely ignores me for a few hours. ---emotional blackmail to the core ---cut off his emotional side to me to 'punish me' for not going along with HIS plan. NICE. ---and I wonder where my snot-nosed self-absorbed SD's got the EMOTIONAL BLACKMAIL TRAINING from???? hhhmmmm

Whatever. I'm not taking his bullshit anymore. ---like some have posted on here ---there's just something missing/empty with our relationships to our SO's ---a complete lack of respect is at the top of the list for sure....

I've arrived at a time in my life and our relationship where disrespect from others --family and/or friends, just isn't going to fly in my world anymore.

So since he refused to speak to me about the subject, I decided to send him an email to get my point across that they are NOT AT THIS TIME or ANYTIME SOON welcome in our home...this is paraphrased:

EMAIL TO DH:
"......Just even trying to wrap our heads around and understand the present dynamics is baffling to say the least...In the big picture, all those MINOR “individual events” (we had with your daughters) accumulated into a track record of intentional, nasty bullying, relational aggression (tag-teaming extended family members), emotional blackmail, invading our privacy, butting into our business, entitlement, and an assumed license to screw with me and my marriage at will. We are up against OTHER ADULTS (your ex-wife, your SIL ~Attila the Hun) in the picture who have been far too eager to train your daughters that your wife is a moron, and you are an idiot whom they do not have to listen to, and you are a chump who writes checks. Your daughters have been trained to dictate. And if you upset them, they run back to the women who trained them---their mother & SIL. So these pieces are what contribute to our DYSFUNCTIONAL situation. Whether or not they ever understand how distasteful, inappropriate, disrespectful and selfish their behavior HAS BEEN, is NOT my goal. Staying away from their behavior is my goal.

....My step-in-laws aren't my family anymore than I am theirs. So for me, it's no longer about wanting to be accepted into their family. I have my own family. It's about what behaviors I find tolerable and what I don't. I expect to be treated with respect, like every human is entitled to be treated. I don't expect to be treated with rude behavior, whether to my face or behind my back. If they can't figure that out, I have no desire to have anything to do with them. My goal is complete apathy and indifference. I am far less eager to befriend them, and my silence sends them a message that I am through being their patsy, their scapegoat, their whipping post. ---AND it has become more difficult for them to outright show me their disrespect, because that level of familiarity with me is now gone. I am completely removed from their lives. I am doing what is absolutely in my own best interest. I am not being selfish, I need to preserve my own physical, mental AND EMOTIONAL HEALTH. Nothing is going to change for ME here, unless I change it.

...I will never again allow anyone to assault my dignity and my self-respect in my home again. The ones who believe they are somehow entitled to determine who is not deserving of respectful behavior, are usually in need of a dose of reality, humility and introspection.

...So, you are not presenting a fair proposition. All things are NOT created equal. Inviting your hostile SIL over (along with your brothers) for a “great big fun family get-together” this summer is a setup because I can not trust all the parties in attendance not to screw with me. I do not have THAT trust. I have NOTHING to base ‘TRUST’ on. We’ve extended the olive branch over a year ago. ---We wrote letters of apology for the MINOR infractions we committed, with ZERO response. ---NO forgiveness, NO phone call, NO text, NO invitations to Christmas dinner with the family ---you name it---we’ve not been included in anything since our attempts at mending fences. The ball has been in their court for WELL over a year now, and nothings changed, because “the nothings” have changed. None of them have ever taken responsibility for their part at all. They are the victims. They have excuses for their behaviors. They justify their bullshit. I don't care about that either. Hence, there is NO reward in this deal for me, ONLY RISK.

...IF and when you have spent some time with your brothers, and have re-established your relationship with them, and bring me good news that they WANT peace with us, and you convince me that your family has had a serious change of thinking, that their demeanor is of humility, kindness, forgiveness and caring, than I will decide if I want to be around them. They no longer get to automatically excuse all of their behavior because they are “blood family” and I am not. (AND I ASSURE YOU ---your SIL is no more “blood family” than I am). Every human on this planet deserves to be treated with respect. If they can't do it, then I can absolutely continue to have them out of my life. For now these people are dead to me, at least until they are ever able to grow up. And that's a BIG IF. Life is too short to put up with haters, whether they are blood relatives or not."

So........DH's response..........He was frustrated, but respectful. DH is always in a hurry to slam everyone together and force the "big happy family" down everyone's throats. ---unfortunately, he's the only one in the boat.

GOOD NEWS IS:

I got my point across. We are not having the in-laws over this summer. ---although I burst his big dream balloon, and he accused me of being "black and white" (---I get that a lot )----I got the respect I deserve from my DH.

Keeping toxic people out of MY life and OUR marriage, and DH respecting MY BOUNDARIES with his family (regardless of HIS relationship with them) ---that's all that really matters.

It's just so damn frustrating when they FORGET we are DISENGAGED!!!

Mominator's picture

DH openly admits that he's "cursed" because he can see "both sides". I flat out told him, that's exactly why you are on the fence all the time with EVERYONE because you refuse to put down your own personal boundaries (and OURS). Your silence fuels everyone's fire because you won't establish rules of what is acceptable behavior and what is not. Everyone is clawing to the top of the pile to be in charge, because you refuse to be. ---you want to sugar-coat reality and "not take sides".

That, my friends, IS NOT a position I'd like to be 24/7 ---On the fence. You're just everyone's bitch, with no real self-respect and personal identity of your own.

Mominator's picture

EXACTLY. DH's tolerance for his extended family and brat adult daughters IS WAYYY OFF the charts. --tongue out, drooling, and tail wagging waiting for the next morsel. ---he does not care if the relationship with his brothers/SIL's and daughters are reciprocal or healthy for that matter....as long as they 'talk/speak' to him, he's THRILLED beyond measure!!

ME ---yea, you are right, he throws tantrums because I refuse to allow assholes into my home -- my sanctuary --his level of tolerance for me is about 2" long.....

I don't give a shit anymore. He's going to learn to respect MY boundaries from now on because he's TRULY INCAPABLE OF ESTABLISHING HIS OWN (or "ours" for that matter).

hismineandours's picture

oh, yeah I'm waiting for this one from my dh. I am thinking around Christmas, though, is when he will yearn to have peace with his dysfunctional family. i'm having none of it. I've already warned him that all the shit thats gone down with our inlaws in the past 6 months or so is unforgiveable. No "making up" ever. they are toxic.

Stand your ground. These men just want peace and this idealized type of harmony. You are being the one in reality who realizes that it will all just be drama and chaos.

CSA's picture

So you are forcing them to cut off their familys from their lives if they want to be with you, but you call having a beer and giving you the silent treatment "EMOTIONAL BLACKMAIL?"

--think about it---

Why not say to him, "hunny I dont like them and you knoe we do not get along but if you want to visit with them i have no problem at all, but can you arrange to have the party in one of their houses. Please dont force me to endure dealing with them, and I wont force you to keep them out of your life."

Much easier and nicer than saying "There is no way in hell those demon SIL's are stepping one ugly foot in my front door, NO, NOT EVER!!!!!"

In essence you give a solution thet both can agree on, and not just a compromise where both feel they lost a little.

Mominator's picture

CSA~~Sweetheart, I know you mean well, but I PARAPHRASED my email CONTENT on my original post for a reason.........IT WAS LONG.

DH CAN AND DOES HAVE 100% AUTHORITY AND EVERY RIGHT to contact and have a relationship with his family.........and he DOES.

Just because I DO NOT WANT TO HAVE THOSE TOXIC PEOPLE AROUND ME OR IN MY HOUSE, is not me saying DH is not allowed to have any kind of relationship whatsoever. BUT FOR HIM TO CUT ME OFF EMOTIONALLY BECAUSE I REFUSE TO ALLOW THEM IN MY HOUSE, YES, THAT IS EMOTIONAL BLACKMAIL AND IT IS WRONG.

sandye21's picture

CSA, Please read the following Wikipedia definition and description of Emotional Blackmail: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Emotional_blackmail

As decribed by the article, Mominator's DH was trying to 'punish' her by taking his beer outside and sulking so he could get his way.

Susan Forward (an expert in the subject), stresses that "Honoring and protecting our integrity isn't easy. Blackmailers shout down our inner guidance... contact with the knowing parts of ourselves" and designated several techniques for resisting emotional blackmail, including strengthening personal boundaries, resisting demands, "a power statement... 'I can stand it'",and buying time to break old patterns. Others describe how in the face of emotional blackmail they "never failed to feel a tinge of guilt at such times, even though I knew my guilt was irrational and was playing into her manipulative hands"; but were nevertheless able, on realising that they were "overcompensating...to just more or less ignore it as you would a child who throws a tantrum just to get attention."

Then, "what happens if the other person doesn't comply with the manipulation, but just goes on being pleasant and friendly... [is that] your manipulation steadily amplifies... there will be arguments, emotional pressures, even separations". Thus "when one person changes the signals by pulling out of the family system," they may find others "brand the victim, crazy, unforgiving or a family wrecker."

This is what Mominator is writing about.

hismineandours's picture

Obviously these demonic sil's have been abusive to the op in the past. Why on earth would she want them in her home? Surely dh already knows that and my guess is that she had already made dh aware of these feelings.

This is so exactly what my dh would do. We have discussed the family siutation at length-it has been years and years in the making. Weve tried possible alternative, solutions, I've given, bended, swayed what have you and just kept on giving and they finally screwed us over bad enough that my dh said ENOUGH. I didnt need to cut him off from anyone and I dont believe that it was op is doing.

She is saying she does not wish to be around people that disrespect her. She is not going to invite the enemy into her home. Sad that the enemy happens to be related to dh, but sometimes thats the way it works. For the record, I dont want my sil or bil to ever step foot on my property again.

Mominator's picture

YEP~~~YOU ABSOLUTELY DID~!!! It has been your words EXACTLY THAT I HAVE SAVED AND SAVED for the DAY that I am prepared to stand up to my DH's emotional abuse. He can have his family all he likes, just keep me the hell away from the chaos and the OBNOXIOUS BULLSHIT.

THANK YOU FOR ALL YOUR INSIGHTFUL WORDS. I have been able to use them to stand up for myself. And I feel better. I'm getting my self esteem back. And they will never never never do what they have done to me ever again. ((HUGGS))

LostinSpaceandTime's picture

I can relate to this situation as well. My DH has said why should he interact with my grown kids if I am not going to with his? " we'll sweetie I say, my family didn't do anything to you. Unless you count accepting you into our family and treating you with respect.". Certainly they did not push him off his fence. Or throw him under the bus like his viciOus DD'S did to me.

We have a family college graduation party to attend this SAturday for my YS fiancé. I will get to see all my kids at the party and the granddaughter. So I will be there. He can come along or not. No miserable bumps on a Log allowed. No rushing me home. We can't even stay over because my. DD isn't quite ready to see my DH. She is using her big girl words and saying she needs some time to decompress . I respect her boundary.
We can drive home that night or stay over at my sons.

I expect the big sad sob story will happen as the holidays approach. I will refer him to meet therm at cracker barrel. And sweetie bring home some bisquits. Cause this disengagement is pretty nice. Why reengage with someone you dont trust.
Time to slleep.