You are here

Indifference really DOES make a difference

Mominator's picture

Had a family HS Graduation Party this weekend, and so of course, my hostile SIL (Atilla the Hunn, aka, RA "Ring Leader") (and her loyal lynch-bitch-side-kick ---my other SIL) had planned to be there with the rest of the family.

---The good news is, the RA flame has been slowly drowned out, so I felt a good bit of self-confidence going to this event.

DH and I discussed "game plans" prior to our arrival. He is having much better repore with his brothers, and he also wanted, for the first time to reach out to the pit bull (the hostile SIL) and extend a "hello" ---which I know his motives ---if he can smooth things over with her and kiss her ass, then all-the-faster at getting his daughters back (because she IS the RA Ring Leader ---and SD's are in tow). --which, okay, by this point, I'm okay with how much abuse he's willing to take. I just have to be indifferent about it these days, because it kills me too much to have to sit and watch.

So, all went well. DH extended the olive branch to hostile SIL, who was MORE than eager to accept his conversation, and was quite giddy to show him her new car. That was about it as far as their interaction. --DH also had a good time chatting it up with his brothers, which was good. I said "hello" to both of them, and that was it.

I kept my distance, and socialized with the rest of the family, keeping a strong, unemotional, assertive energy, and being very calm and at the same time jovial within the crowd.

It was an unshakable confidence, and was silent, cool, and collected. Indifferent, with a no-nonsense attitude towards my BIL's and (hostile) SIL's during the event.

And they (SIL's) felt it. I almost think the hostile one was actually shaking in her garden shoes for once.

It felt good. I feel like the RA table is finally turning in the family, and Atilla the Hunn (SIL) is quite worried her halo is getting tarnished. And she should. SHAME on her for so many of our things/business she butted her rude ass into!~

---I'd say the Karma Bus has finally arrived.

Mominator's picture

It was actually enlightening that DH noticed his niece (15) and nephew (19) didn't say squat to him during the event. They outright ignored him.

I had to remind DH, that what they are doing IS the RA that I have been telling him about........SIL's are recruiting their own children (including DH's daughters) to HATE us .....for no other reason than "just because mommy and auntie say so".

----now for some reason, mommy and auntie are trying to blend back into the family and stop their obvious pow-wowing in the corner of the house (with their puppet-minions) while the rest of us mingle socially and respectfully with the rest of the family. --guess the step-niece/nephew twits didn't get the memo just yet....

Not-the-mom's picture

Hang in there, your setting healthy boundaries will pay off in the end. It may take some time, but it will happen. Dirol

When you said, "I kept my distance, and socialized with the rest of the family, keeping a strong, unemotional, assertive energy, and being very calm and at the same time jovial within the crowd." Didn't it feel good to do that? Very freeing. Smile

Go Girl!