You are here

Juvenile deliquents and family law

Toastergirl's picture
Forums: 

I am posting here because I am curious:

Lets say your 16yr old SK gets a ticket for underage drinking/out past curfew/whatever. Is it the custodial parents job to pay fees, or something they would split?

If the teen was in consistent trouble with the law, could the judges transfer custody to the non-custodial parent?

twoviewpoints's picture

" Is it the custodial parents job to pay fees, or something they would split? "

I'll say my personal opinion on this question. The kid pays. His crime, his dime. Yes, the parents may have to foot the upfront initial cost or duke it out between them if considering one or the other vs. a spilt. However in the end, this kid best get a part time job and find ways to earn money to payback every cent. IMO, best way to make the kid (bio or step) to feel the actual consequence for the offense. Besides, working will give the kid less time to get in any additional trouble.

As to the second part. Not in criminal court. The judge will release the kid to the parent with residential custody. The NCP would have to take a custody transfer to family court.

Rags's picture

The kids cleans out septic tanks, scoops dog poop for neighbors, delivers papers, etc... and pays his own fine. Or he can report to jail for the appropriate period to offset the fine.

If the CP pushes the NCP to pay the fine or half of the fine NCP should tell CP that CS is to cover his share of all kid related costs and if CP wants to pay the fine NCP has already participated in that through CS.

Why the hell would the NCP want custody of this POS 16yo idiot? I think I would leave this POS on the CP's door step to stink and rot.

If I was the NCP in this situation I would give the kid a choice. I would become the CP on the condition that the kid immediately catch the bus for Military Boarding School or he can stay with the CP and the CP can deal with the toxic bullshit..