You are here

Does it change the Child Support?

thebettermom's picture

If a child at the age of 12 gets to choose where they want to live, and they choose to live with the parent who is currently the non-custodial parent and pays the child support, do the payments then stop or decrease at all? Would the current custodial parent have to start paying child support then?


Colorado Girl's picture

Depends on your state, the financial status of the other parent, actual number of overnights, etc.

In our situation, if the kids were to live with us the cs would be minimal from BM, I'm sure DH would not even bother.

"For every ailment under the sun....There is a remedy, or there is none;
If there be one, try to find it; If there be none, never mind it." ~ W.W. Bartley

melis070179's picture

The parent that the child does not live with has to pay the child support, which would be based on their income. I assume you are not talking about each parent having 50/50 though. If you guys have physical custody the BM would have to pay.