You are here

anyone have experience with employer not paying CS??

sandim's picture
Forums: 

Lil bio on me...
Married 3 years he has 3kiddos, I have two.
My EH is behind on CS, but started making payments Jan 2007...
well let's say his employer started garnishing his payments but not sending them in to the AG's office.
I was so used to not getting CS that I never found out until Oct 2007 that this was being done, I calld EH told him he had to start helping this was crazy, and he faxed me his stubs showing year to date what has been garnished.
I was shocked , so anyhow the system is slow and I go to court again in August on the employer but does anyone have any experience with this?
I am hoping that he pays up.
EH owes around $45,000, and his employer owes $10,000.(that has already been garnished) With 5 teens in the house we could really use the moolah!!

storm's picture

I don't have any experience with this sorry, but they are holding $10,000 of your CS? A friend of mine was just served a subpoena for his employer being behind a grand total of $8 and some change. I knew there must be bigger fish to fry somewhere.

Good luck. Hope you get that resolved.

"That would be a good thing for them to cut on my tombstone: Wherever she went, including here, it was against her better judgment."
Dorothy Parker, 'But the One on the Right,' in New Yorker, 1929
US author, humorist, poet, & wit (1893 - 1967)

littlegrlzx4's picture

It's against the law for employers not to pay garnished wages in a timely fashion. Employers can be fined for not paying up.

You or your ex from should call the AG's office and report that the funds have not been credited to your account. It won't be immediate but it should get wheels turning to get you some cash eventually.

sandim's picture

yep... sad isn't it? My EH has had CS garnished so far $10,000
by his boss ... but his boss isn't sending those into the Attorney Generals office. So pretty much theft...
I have even spoke to the boss about paying ... said he couldn't do it until July... which is now over.
I don't think I will get a penny of it until he is jailed.
I know he won't show in court...
What also gets me is my EH continues to work for his sorry butt!!
(and the garnishments are adding up this very second)
I just wasnt sure if there were others out there with the same situation.
Thanks for the support!!

sandim's picture

yeah I got that started and it is a slow process.
I started it back in Oct 07, and the first time it went to court
was June 08 and now that he failed to pay again we go to court
in August.
On the court papers from June his boss was getting fined for each occurrence, that goes to the county.
My EH seems to think he will get out of it...

littlegrlzx4's picture

My deadbeat ex owes me tons of money but so far has just worked under the table enough to stay ahead of the garnishment. It's just refreshing for him to tell me it's "not worth working since after gas and child support there's nothing left for me"

Ex's are ex's for a reason I guess Wink

storm's picture

I know jobs are harder to come by lately, but his boss is stealing from him as well. How could he continue to work there?

And, if the boss is doing this to him, it makes me think the boss is probably in a lot of other financial trouble as well. I hope there isn't a long line of debts your mixed in with here.

"That would be a good thing for them to cut on my tombstone: Wherever she went, including here, it was against her better judgment."
Dorothy Parker, 'But the One on the Right,' in New Yorker, 1929
US author, humorist, poet, & wit (1893 - 1967)

sandim's picture

That was the same story in the beggining for my EH.
He kept running from job to job. Once the first check was garnished
he would quit and look for another, and then for a while
got paid under the table as well.
Deadbeats must use the same line...
" after they take out CS, how will I have money for rent?"
and yes ... they are X's for a reason:)~

~Sandi~

sandim's picture

I think the reason he gave me was it was on the way
to the kids school????
It was an inside job, and they were normal 9-5 hours...
Which to me you can find other jobs like that.
Well Im not sure where his other kids go to school...but Im sure
he could find something.
From what EH said it sounds like his boss is a little "shady"
so Im hoping I get my CS from him.
I guess in August I will find out what steps the judge will take
on him...
Sandi

smurfy1smile's picture

In MN, the employer must send in the payments within like 14 days of them being taken out of their paycheck. I can't believe no one in the AG's office is concerned about this happening to you. My BS16's dad's employer forgot to pay for a month or two and when I checked to see if he quit his job, I found out he had not and someone forgot to mail in the payments. In MN, an employer can get fined like $100 for each infraction. They got a warning that time and it happened again the next year around the same time with the same employer and they got fined. Funny thing was the fine was more that the monthly child support.

sandim's picture

Yeah hes getting fined as well, but not bothering to pay either.
He has 31 counts which total $6000.
Apparently they just give him ALOT of chances is what it seems.
Im just hoping he doesn't get away with it...