You are here

we are giving "us" another try....

leftfield's picture

some of u may remember how my boyfriend and I split up because I was feeling very insecure about how he and his kids mom talk/text eachother alll the time and I was beginning to wonder if they still had feelings for eachother.

Anyway, he called me last week and we had a heartfelt chat. He basically said that he does not approve of the environment at his exW home and told me she is very unstable. He talks to her to keep her happy because...

1) she has no friends, so he lets her vent to him because if he doesn't, she will keep it bottled in and it will trickle down to his kids. This is also a way for him to find out what is going down in her house hold because she will oftentimes vent about her boyfriend.

2) they have 50/50 by court order, but he has them all the time to where it's more like 80/20. He likes it this way and credits their "friendship" for this. He will listen to her vent, complain, brag, whatever....and when she is done, he will ask her....."hey, can I pick up the kids for the night and bring them back tomorrow." and she ALWAYS says yes. When they didn't get along, she never let him have the kids for an extra day....

he assured me is has nooo emotions for her. He said if she wasn't the mother of his kids, he would never talk to her. And he also said he can't bear to look at her and he wonders what he ever saw in her. He also said that their new "friendship" is so fresh, that it is bound to die down in the future, especially now that she is pregnant with her boyfriends baby....but for now, he is just going with the flow to keep the peace.

I do love the his kids and I think he is an excellent father. He does not let them get away with shit, he is involved in their schooling/sports and he is learning how to cook them healthy food. And the oldest is absolutely CRAZY about me. The younger one is more of a mama's boy, but that's ok. And as far as being a boyfriend....well, he is pretty special. They coparent well and I guess that is a blessing. And she has a gift for me for Christmas....and she can't wait to meet me, she is happy the kids like me, etc.

stepfamilyfriend's picture

I wish you guys all the best. I hope your SO really understands your position and is able to hear you out and that your feelings on this be at the top of his list.

helena_brass's picture

My opinion, for what it's worth, is that you're making a mistake. His reasons, while they make sense in his mind for HIM, do not at all consider you or the respect you deserve. While it may be understandable that he is appeasing the ex in order to weasel extra time with the kids--where does that leave you? Your BF will be at the mercy of the ex, and he will ask you to try to see it from his perspective because he is really only trying to get his kids.

If he has issues with her home environment, he needs to change the CO. If he has unfounded issues, tough luck. Sorry, but I think you're asking for trouble by stepping back into this.

ThatGirl's picture

Agreed Sad

ECO-FINA's picture

I agree with what every one said above...if he really wants you...he will do whatever needs to be done in order to make you happy. Right now, he is not making you happy I don't think....too much baggage and way too much drama...red flags all over the place.

leftfield's picture

He seems to be stuck between a rock and a hard place though. he placates her in a fake way and I totally *get* why he does it. and once his kids are old enough to have cellphones, he will get updates from THEM.... and then he will have NO problem letting her calls go to VM. He also said his kids will absolutely realize how unstable their mom is when they are older, and they will hopefully opt to stay with him voluntarily.

Also, she is having a baby in 4 months. Her first daughter. She is going to get married soon. He predicts she will be so consumed with the baby and new husband, that she won't have the time to call him so much and will, knowing her, dump the boys off with him because it will be too much stress for her.

He doesn't have feelings for her, he gets along with her, they coparent so well....no bickering, they share clothes/shoes, he pays no child support, etc. And he really doesn't expect anything of me as far as "parenting". He takes control over parenting/driving/cooking/cleaning. He enforces the rules and chores with them. He doesn't coddle them. I am just like a big Aunt who plays with them. And I love it!!!!!!

NotSureAnymore's picture

My husbands brother is also divorced *they married two crazy sisters* ... so anyway she calls him randomly to come over, spend time with her... fix things around the house, still burns her DVD's... and its all peaceful untill she 'loses' it again and starts abusing him... and they are divorced. I ask my brother in law what he would do if he were to remarry and be with another woman..he *shrugs* and says "I dont see how things would change... she just needs me to come over and to the 'man' things... OH PLEASE your wife wont be cool with you still going these over 3 times a week. He just doesnt get it.. as he claims he has no more connection with her.
Plainly im just giving another example of how men can feel that guilt once they divorce.. and see that their support is no longer present for their children full time. Im not saying your partner is the same as my brother in law... but im saying IF U HAVE A PROB - RUNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNN

Because it wont change! .. I dont let my partner visit his ex's house without me there... i know its insecure but ive been there when she has tried to put her boobs in front of my partners face.. so what she do wen im not there... may be an extreme measure but could cut out alot of the shit. Besides might be controlling but its the only request i have wen it comes to my husbands ex... and if the table was turned im sure my husband wouldnt be O.K with me going to visit my ex boyfriends... kids or no kids...

oneoffour's picture

Um, my DH will not speak to his ex because they are divorced. They can work together over the boys but anything else is out of bounds. She tried ONCE to call the shots (I apparently was evil enough to expect the boys to eat with utensils rahter than their fingers,,, little heathens!) and DH shut her down so fast.

I wonder if your SO would be happy with you talking to an ex lover about the things he does that annoy you?

Honestly, it is all excuses. He is at her beck and call. She calls he answers. And this will continue as long as she wants to play this game.

And so he thinks it is totally fair to let her believe he actually cares and when he has no use for her passing on kid-info he drops her like a hot potato. If I were her I would call this non-parenting. After all, right now he is casting a web of lies and she is sticking to it. And eventually he will leave her there to die.

As for the kids working out their mother is nuts... don't bet on it. One of them might be the Florence Nightingale and rescue her at every turn. One may support her all the time because this is their mother. And unlike their father, their mother is vulnerable and needs help (whatever!). NO one WANTS to think their parent/s are nuts because that would mean they are as well.

This is not viable for the longterm.

leftfield's picture

I hear all of u knocking. And my parents are knocking with you. I am just going to see how it goes. I have my guard up. I've tried dating other men, but my heart just belongs to HIM. I can't imagine my life with any other man. We are still relatively "new". He first asked me out almost 2 years ago. We dated for 3 months and then I moved several states away for work. We then tried the LDR and it was a flop. I finally moved back in July and we began dating exclusively in August. So, up until recently, he was a single man for 4 years. He is trying to adjust and that takes time. He is coming around.

Doubletakex3's picture

A couple of thoughts:

1. Is there full disclosure? Is he okay with you reading their text exchanges?
2. Where are the boundaries in his mind? Are you okay with the boundaries? Just how far would he go to help her "for the good of the kids"? Sign a car loan for her (as an example)?
3. Where's her boyfriend in all of this? I agree with the other poster that she should NOT be leaning on your bf for emotional support particularly when she has a bf and is prego with his kid! It reeks of not being a temporary situation (as he claims).

My FDH has two BMs. One he hates and communicates only when absolutely necessary. He wouldn't p*ss on her if she were on fire. The other, he's overly chummy with. I've heard all your bf's justifications first hand and have been through FDH crossing the line of inappropriate. I thought we had put the issue to rest within the first 6 months of our relationship but it's two years later and...

Ears and eyes fully open and if he won't agree (and stick to) to absolute transparency and boundaries there's nothing but trouble ahead. Trust me (us).

leftfield's picture

ahhh. now Im getting scared!! I just DON'T want to get my heart broken over her yet AGAIN. She does have a bf and will likeyl marry him since she is knocked up, but she calls my boyfriend and bitches to my boyfriend about HER boyfriend - the man she cheated on my boyfriend with. How classy!!

I like to think our relationship with be like my dad and stepmom's!!! The only difference is....my dad wasn't friends with my mom, they rarely spoke and still rarely speak.Otherwise, my bf reminds me sooo much of my dad. Everything else about him reminds me of my dad. And I'm alot like my wonderful stepmom. I keep thinking that in due time, he will see right through BM and her BS and once he and I are more "solid", he will start to see where I am coming from. I'm just trying to be as classy as I can be and letting him figure it out. Right now, we are still pretty new.

He and BM are FB friends now. She is digging her own hole and making herself look like such a doofus by the numerous dumb status updates. Bf is like WTF. I see light at the end of the tunnel. I just have to do my own thing and not make him my whole universe for awhile. I will let him and BM have their powwows and I will let her dig her own hole. he will SURELY see the light. Right???? Right???

UGGGHHHH.

Auteur's picture

You still have a guilty daddy on your hands. First red flag: it will trickle down to his kids"

OH BOY did I hear this from GG!!! Seriously you should run NOW!!

File under: "I don't want to make waves with the BM b/c it might affect the kids" (TM)

Here's a personal list I compiled after almost eight years of research: (SEE ITEM 11)

1. Does your man allow co-sleeping with his children? (aka the kiddies routinely jump into bed with him at night)

2. Does he have to lie down with them to get them to sleep?

3. Do the children seem somehow "stunted" socially? Do they have poor hygiene habits, eating habits, bedtime habits?

4. Does your man subscribe to the "one big happy family" model? (expects you to love his children as much as or more than him)

5. Does your man have the "inability" to say no to his children?

6. Do his children seem overly "hyperactive" to you?

7. Does your man say "just relax; you worry too much" or "Everything will be just fine" if you bring up a legitimate concern

8. Do the children seem "overly needy" demanding that dad spend 24/7 with them? Do they physically lay all over him and go bonkers when daddy steps out of their peripheral vision?

9. Are they unable to do age appropriate tasks or want dad to do things that could easily be done themselves?

10. Does dad seem overprotective of his children; unwilling to let them try things out on their own?

11. Has dad said things like "I don't want to make waves with the BM b/c it will affect the children" or "we'll take the high road" when faced with blatant BM stepping over boundaries.

12. Has dad said things to you like "you don't like my children" or "you're a child hater" or "my children are afraid of you" or "my children don't like you?" This is code for you are able to see through the manipulation and the children don't like it. . . and frankly he doesn't like the fact that you can see through his children's manipulation either. He'd rather look the other way as opposed to actually parenting because he might "lose" his children to the (almost always) PASinator BM.

asheeha's picture

He won't see the light unless you make him. All I can say is DH and I met way too soon after his divorce with BM, just 2 months. She freaked out and wanted him back, after she's the one who left him. He said he didn't want her but he still appeased her, still talked to her and was confused. I tried to be patient and understanding, and yes he eventually learned, but I had to make a lot of ultimatums and this eventually has hurt us a lot. I can't even talk about the beginning of our relationship because she clouds every memory and his stupid behavior.

If you know what you need now, make it clear. Don't accept his excuses and just go with the flow. If you know that you can't handle him being BF with BM let him know your boundaries and your expectations. It's better to make your expectations clear, don't think he's just going to change later. It's not a good gamble.

leftfield's picture

Well, you ladies and my stepmom have pretty much made me realize that this is NOT what I want out of a man. I love him to death, but I am sooo jealous over BM and their "friendship". She says jump, he asks how High. She calls or texts, he answers her right away. I call or text, he will get back to me when/if he has the time. However, he assured me he has no feelings for her. He called her fat, unattractive, bitchy and crazy. He said that IF they were to get back together, which they won't, he would NEVER be able to trust her. He would question every little thing, since she cheated on him. He was her 3rd husband.

We split up a month ago. Saw eachother for the first time this week since the breakup. He said he loves me and wants me in his life, but he is "scared". And he also said he wants to stop hurting me.

oh, and After we had our nice chat about BM, we had a pretty steamy makeout session against the front door as I was leaving. His finger slipped inside me and just I as I was about to pounce him.... He stopped the steamy makeout session because he doesn't want to use me as an "object". He wants a deep emotional and spiritual bond with me before we start having sex again, yet, he kept saying how much he loved me and wants me in his life.