You are here

BDs being best buds with the BM - is this the latest fad or something??

leftfield's picture

I swear to God, there was noooo way in hell my divorced parents would have dreamed of sitting next to each other at sporting events, calling each other daily (+) to talk about us kids, texting eachother daily(+) with their latest life calamity that has nothing to do with kids.

My ex followed this pattern. He even admitted that he and BM are great friends now that it's over. And now my coworker is dating a guy who is good friends with his ex and they talk/text daily about their 6 yo. And I have another friend whose bf is good friends with the ex. It's all peachy for them, but what about the new gf/wife? Well, she's just gonna have to accept it, cuz it is what it is?

Is this healthy, even if the bm is a somewhat normal? why is this such a common theme?

DeeDeeTX's picture

I will say I see a lot of articles about how parents need to get along for their children, and have examples of divorced parents doing exactly what you said.

leftfield's picture

yes, every article and every website says this. I think it's a shame. It is important to be civil, but not best friends!! Before I found this site, I thought I was just off my rocker for having an issue with their bff status. And now my friends who are dating divorced dads are only lightly complaining, not wanting to rock the boat too much because they don't want to sound jealous/insecure. Afterall....it's for the kids and it's best for them....?

duct_tape's picture

It's to your advantage to remain civil towards an ex. Why create a divide. Why remove any possiblity of being able to communicate with each other and solve problems outside of the court system. Besides, kids suffer at the hand of angry parents way too much. The biggest mistake in the world with divorced parents is to badmouth each other to the kids. I just think it's better to get along. It's irritating for the current woman in a man's life, sure. But, we women need to stop being so territorial, relax and live our own lives. Men find us to be much more attractive in a non-threatened state. If a man gets along with his ex, then decides to vent about her later, DON'T JOIN IN. Walk away and say, "She's your ex, not mine." Keep it HIS BUSINESS. He will find you to be intriquingly different.

leftfield's picture

Yes, a civil relationship. Is the latest idea of a civil relationship calling/ texting each other daily or several times a day?

Because in my world, a civil relationship means you keep your cool when you talk to them or see them. You don't bad mouth them. You say hi when you pass them at the ballgame.

duct_tape's picture

Allowing a man to get to you and take away your dignity because he is gettng a bit chummy with his ex is doing you a serious disservice. Let him wrap himself up the web he's weaving all by himself! Because, in the end, you know what's going to happen. They will get along, he will assume a false sense of security about the relationship, he will disagree with something she says or does, and the woman will turn on his ass. And when she does, you should not be there to join in on the ex bash with him. Let it be his problem. And in the end, if they get too chummy and it gets to "chummy" drop him like a hot rock. Spare your dignity either way!

herewegoagain's picture

PS Kids suffer at the hand of angry divorced parents way too much, but they also suffer much more from the divorce and the parents didn't think about that prior to the divorce...

duct_tape's picture

Nothing!!!! confused, fascinates, intrigues, and dazes a man more than a womans ability to maintain her self control. Remaining neutral about his ex is going to give you more power and control in your relationship than any other factor.

When my husband used to bash his ex, I would listen and giggle and thought it was funny. He sort of felt some power over BOTH of us at once. Then I decided to dethrone his ass. When he bashed her I would say, "I like her. I don't agree." TOTAL FREAKIN' 180!!!!!

leftfield's picture

yea, ok, great. But what if your husband/boyfriend gets upset at you when u gripe about BM, or, make fun of her - even when kids aren't around to hear it. Wouldn't that hurt your feelings??

duct_tape's picture

Bingo!!!!!

See how they turn on you? I'm telling you, stay neutral and let his shit be his shit. Worry more about YOUR LIFE. Make your life and your ex, friends, family the center of YOUR universe.

duct_tape's picture

Okay. All I'm saying is that we need to take better care of ourselves. Nobody else is going to. It breaks my heart to see women hurt and manipulated repeatedly. Maybe not by your husband, but the situation. We seem to lay down and let the world crush our hearts too often.

duct_tape's picture

Oh no, I'm not saying that women can't be evil as hell. Ofcourse they can. And your situation is different than others. You're in a position where this woman is evil, trying to wreck your life. You understandably hate her ass. You have a united front with your SO. NOt everyone is that fortunate to have the united front. I don't hate men. I simply think we are wired differently.

darky's picture

We have been married for 6 years and Bm is still trying to manipulate and ruin DH life. We were so united for the most of this because I can't stand a woman who can't stand up to her responsibilities as a mother. Particulary considering Bm got pregnant on purpose 8 weeks after meeting DH, it was her plan to become a single mum, she went on the single pension behind his back before they even broke up and has still never worked an honest day in her life 11 years on. Being a hard worker who likes to pay my own way this situation kills me and I am more than happy to go on a rampage about her. I agree DH and Bm definitely should not be best friends but it would be nice if they could atleast communicate properly about the welfare of their son. Bm has advised me her son is a business deal....she doesn't even include DH in discussions about activities he should do just sends the receipt and says pay this. Recently when SS got suspended from school she didn't even tell us and lied to the school about who SS dad was to attend the meeting with the principal. Luckily the school wrote to us and DH turned up to the meeting while they were all sitting there to be a happy family, its sick. Anyway my point is, after nearly 8 years of knowing this bludging con artist woman I now fight most of the battles out with DH. Yes we fight about her because now he is somewhat numb to it but it still kills me. DH now sees SS as only priority and as long as he is happy, DH is ok with what a freak she is. He still can't stand Bm but says she won't change so just let her get away with it....yuck. So if all those years ago I didn't get involved and just worried about my own life and my own problems I might not feel this big chunk of hate for Bm and SS in my chest and stomach. I feel like and idiot because I do have a good life, lovely DH (most of the time) and we have beautiful kids together...but I still take Bm bait and let it affect my life greatly. So really, I am the fool.

Disneyfan's picture

Depends

I got upset when DF tried to dis my son's dad. He has never met or spoken to the man. He has no reason to say anything negative about him.

I have a ton of reasons to dislike his ex. So he can't defend her when I start talking about her

duct_tape's picture

No, but I do know the saying, "keep your friends close, and your enemies closer."

Men play us and get us all excited over each other way too much. Some of us may be in situations where the ex bashing is a sporting event that brings us closer together. BUT, for those who are suffering because the ex and so are too close, we need to take back our power. Women are always allowing themselves to get divided. Men use it against us all the damn time. Like it or not, we are jealous, envious, territorial, posessive creatures. Men know it. They use it against us everyday.

herewegoagain's picture

I had a friend in high school whose parents literally stayed at each other's house with their new spouse...hmmm...At the time I thought it was "nice". I always did sense that the stepmom wasn't thrilled, but went along with it.

I have to say that I understand it to a certain extent. I also have to say that if you marry someone with kids, who has always done this and thus, did it while dating, that it should be accepted. If you don't like it while dating, then you should move on. I do have to say thought that once you have a relationship with someone else, if you all of a sudden decide to be best buddies and do such things, it is imperative that your new spouse be on board.

Honestly, I can see that I could possibly try to get along with my DH if we divorced for the sake of our kiddo, however, I also know that there is a difference between getting along and being buddies. If you can be such good friends with someone after a divorce, then I also think that you didn't give your relationship a try while married. I also believe that it is very selfish for someone to do this after they divorce, when they were so darn selfish to divorce in the first place which affects the kids no matter what anyone thinks. It's like "yes, I can be selfish because I'm not in love anymore, even though this person is wonderful, I thought only of me...but now that we are divorced, everyone is expected to put up with it for the sake of my kids." If you didn't think of your kids prior to divorce, don't expect others to do so.

untothebreach's picture

Agreed!
Personally, (my parents divorced when I was 21, after almost 25 years unhappy marriage), I think one of the greatest disservices unhappily married parents can do is to stay together for the kids. Do I wish they had been happy? Absolutely. But they weren't, so I wish they had done it sooner.

herewegoagain's picture

Bills? Expectations within the marriage? Like BILLS are more important than your child? I have had MANY arguments over bills with my husband, but really, there is ALWAYS a solution to them. Either one person pays it, the other person pays it or they each pay their half. Period. And I can't imagine that a couple cannot agree to that before creating havoc in their child's life. Sorry, I don't buy it.

Expectations within the marriage? Let see. My husband wants me to cook and I won't. So, does that mean that it is more important for me to be myself and NOT cook and have my child not be able to see his dad every single day because I just don't want to cook? No. That is being a selfish parent. Funny though, I bet you that some woman who divorces her husband because he expects home cooked meals and he can't cook, would be SCREAMING if the new stepmom didn't cook for HER kids when they visited their dad...lol Yep, that's the way it is.

Sorry, the ONLY people that I feel should divorce are those who are abused. Period. Wether mentally or physically. And honestly, if either were the case, I don't see how you could be buddies with your ex after that.

untothebreach's picture

I'm a BM and my DS8's BD (we were never married, only dated for a few months) and I get along great, and spend time together with DS when we can, and we all enjoy it. BD lives about 5 hours away (very close to my family) and we meet half way for visitation and almost always sit down for dinner and visit when we do. I got married a few years ago and BD and his whole family came to the wedding and were genuinely happy for me (and equally heartbroken when it didn't work out). None of us ever held on to any guilt or blame, we all do the very best we can for DS and each other and there have never been any hard feelings.

BD's entire family (mother, brother, sister in law and two neices), along with my live in BF and his parents, my sister's children, husband and in-laws, and her oldest son's BD and his new GF and their son, were all together at my mother's house on Christmas Eve. It is not traditional by any means, but it works amazingly well. There is no drama (there are small disagreements), and my DS has really benefited from the fact that his dad and I are still friends. He has also been very accepting of my boyfriend and his family because he sees that his dad likes and accepts him. It goes a long way there.

BF's parents had never met my family before and are a fairly traditional, conservative couple. They were blown away, and impressed, by how well our extended family got along.

I think that if you are able to make it work, it can be a huge benefit to the kids and also it removes a lot of stress for parents/step parents. No one has to worry about "running into" BP at a child's basketball game, or sitting on the other side of the auditorium at a school concert.

My boyfriend is not threatened by this, nor should he be, if I wanted to be in a romantic relationship with my son's BD, I would be. It's that simple. My general feeling about contact with exes is that you can't control your partner, how they feel or what they do, if they want to cheat or leave you or whatever, they will. If you don't trust them, or feel threatened by a friendly relationship they have with an ex I think that says a lot about your relationship with them, not theirs with their ex. Just my $.02.

I realize this is not a realistic expectation for everyone - when I was married my ex-H had two CRAZY BM in his life and I wanted nothing to do with them. They and I got along fine even though they thought he was a piece of shit, but I would never have invited them to a family function with us.

untothebreach's picture

He's a pretty smart kid, he's not confused by it at all.

His dad and I broke up before I found out I was pregnant and for our DS this is how it has always been. He's never asked "why" or "if" BD and I would be together, and the times I have talked to him about it I tell him "Your dad and I are great friends, and we love you very much and we are great at being your parents, but we were not so great at being a couple."

untothebreach's picture

This is another great reason to stay friendly, my BD and I have never been to court, and he has given me child support every month since our son was born.

When I moved to NYC and my (and our son's) expenses increased, rather than asking for more, or going to court, I sent him a link to the NY child support calculator, gave him the numbers he needed from me (income, expenses, etc) and asked him to put his own in and let me know what he thought. His response was to offer me $200 more a month because he knew that was what he was legally and morally obligated to do. No hard feelings and no $$ wasted on lawyers.

untothebreach's picture

I know. I have many friends who have gone through horrible divorces/break ups and have unreasonable and irresponsible BDs to deal with. I am thankful every single day that BD and I are able to work together the way we have. Smile I'd say we're lucky, which in part we are, but we've also worked at it.

bestwife's picture

To each his own - if the buddy/buddy thing works for you then have at it.

But it does NOT work for me. DH had a ONS (more like a 30 minute afternoon activity in reality) with BM after the divorce which is how the second SS arrived on the scene. They had no romantic/sexual interaction for almost a decade. And yet it happened. It is best if the ex-spouses to avoid being alone with each other in an intimate setting.

So from my perspective - there will be NO contact. I'm not 100% sure I can even be civil to her. Yeah I probably can - had to suck up and deal with hideous people for work for decades. I can fake it I'm sure.

I do think it's best for parents not to be hostile to each other. But best friends? way too easy to slip back over the line into bed if alone when it is someone you shared a passionate love life with for years. Throw in a little alcohol (although none involved in DH's case)and a nostalgic little bit a alone time and no telling what can transpire. Not just my DH I've seen this happen with many, many friends. Women that HATED their ex but somehow ended up sleeping with them a decade after the divorce.

I don't have children so there is no ex I have to deal with. But in terms of being "friends" I have an ex who I am still friends with. But now that I am with DH, my friend and I cancelled a trip we were going to take (separate rooms). Just would not have been a good decision.

Being civil and even friends with an ex is not wrong by any means - but having a very intimate (even if not physically intimate) relationship with your ex is just a prescription for trouble.

untothebreach's picture

Well, like I said, it's not for everyone, and given your circumstances I can absolutely see why you would not be comfortable with it.

But neither is everyone who is close to an ex in danger of falling back into bed with them. Each situation is unique. Smile

leftfield's picture

The consensus here is, it's a very good thing to be bff with the ex. Wow, I feel totally insecure now.

No wonder we had so many probs. I couldn't understand their sudden bff status. I couldn't stand the daily phone calls and texts. I couldn't stand to see they added eachother on facebook.

I enocuraged him to be on civil terms with her. But I guess my idea of civil is just..... out there.

untothebreach's picture

Agreed. It is up to you and your partner to decide what works for you both. And any kids. If it works for one person, but not the other(s) than it doesn't work. IMO, relationships, romantic and platonic, are about finding that middle ground where everyone can be as comfortable as possible.

my.kids.mom's picture

With younger kids, it is not healthy for the parents to be buddy buddy. Every time the parents are in the same room, they will think the parents are getting back together. All this does is prolong the process for kids. Being civil is great. But you should be civil in exchanges, don't spend prolonged time in the marital home, don't have dinner together, etc. Eventually the child (who probably already thinks the divorce is his fault, most do) is going to think, "Wow, they still love each other, so it MUST have been my fault they divorced..." Or the child will constantly be thinking they are going to get back together...any day now...

I get that not all situations are the same. The age of the kids MUST be taken into consideration. Kids are NOT small adults. They are self-centered, self-absorbed, and actually think EVERYTHING is about them.

My bf's ex caused all kinds of trouble for him, but in the kids' eyes, everything was great. He had to fight for regular visitation, as she demanded supervised visitation, supervised BY HER, IN THEIR MARITAL HOME. BIG mistake. One daughter8 said recently, "I don't want to have to leave home to visit you. I want you to have to come to our home and visit with mom, like before." Separation was 3 years ago. This woman has put him through the ringer, and done some of the most evil things to him and he has to fight to get his time with his kids. And of course, she diminishes his role as father to the kids and they are being raised to believe moms call the shots and dads are there for money.

I know in this case, the bm is not normal. This is MANY cases. If kids are older, and parents are normal, being friends can work. But there are SO many factors that have to come into play, and then there's the new relationships that come in. I don't think at all that this is a new fad, I think that relationships often break up before each person does too much damage to the other, and therefore they can still get along. Once you go too far down a road of hell, you can't get back to "buddies."

Disneyfan's picture

If the women in the OP are unhappy with the way their boyfriends and BMs interact, why are they remaining in the relationships?

overit2's picture

Maybe DIsney because they love their husbands and feel that just applying some boundaries would really benefit the relationship? STUPID to keep commenting on anything we aren't 'happy' with we should just divorce/destroy your family unit.

BIG THINGS? Yes...small things? YOu ask to be heard and set boundaries and work at making eachother happy. It's not unreasonable to ask someone to change their interactions w/their exes. Truth is the dynamics between ex's DOES change most of the time after they partner w/someone else. And that's normally out of respect of your new relationship and spouse. It's not unreasonabl, she shouldn't leave because of current interactions. It's ok for OP to voice her opinion, and I don't think she's wrong at all. Smile

My bf doesn't interract with BM at ALL-no calls, they don't speak, he barely acknowledges her existence (it KILLS her!)-they dont' talk at sports events.
My ex and I are more civil then that, however I placed more boundaries once bf was in the picture. It made me uncomfortable for him to 'hang out' when picking up dropping the kids. He doesn't do it as bad now, him and my bf are civil, shake hands, say hello, how are you-stuff like that. BUT we stay clear of combined holidays/bdays somewhat now because my ex tries to manipulate to have all my family talking/interracting w/him the entire time. I knew it hurt my bf, he was upset, so I accomodated the man I love-even if my family or my ex found it hard to cope w/the 'changes'. You nurture your relationship...you don't just walk away.

I would have hated if my bf just walked away from me because he was uncomfortable w/my ex being in my home for a joint bday party-I much preferred him to speak up as to why he was upset.

Disneyfan's picture

What families??? The people in the OP are just dating. They don't have a family to destroy.

If the women in the OP aren't happy with the way things are going, they should speak up. If the men they are dating refuse to change, then they have a decision to make. Stay and hope things change or move on.

wolfenstep's picture

I have thought about this issue a great deal, as my exH and I actually were BFFs since we were small children. He was literally the boy next door and we grew up together. My mom and exMIL have been best friends for almost 50 years. Our families were neighbours for two decades and they remain very close, all of them.

Our divorce was amicable. It says something that our mothers remained close friends throughout it all, although they were heartbroken and shocked at our decision to divorce. Thankfully we had kept most of our problems very quiet and to this day our respective families don't really know the mud we could sling about one another.

We started out with the BFF model of co-parenting but this ended after a couple of years. We slowly shifted to cordial and business-like and this is far preferable IMO. I don't believe it is sustainable to be BFFs once both people have new partners and/or children and step children. I think these situations require clear boundaries to respect everyone's feelings. What is ideal for children on the surface is not ideal if it makes one of their parents or step parents feel disrespected or uncomfortable.

We are friendly but we are no longer friends. We may sit or stand together at kids' events but not always and we don't seek each other out. Our communication is mostly text and e-mail and it is ONLY about the kids. At most 1-2x a week. It is not excessive...I do not feel the need to fill him in on every detail of their life with me. We meet for coffee a few times a year to work out scheduling or other large items. We may talk a bit about our parents but that is all, nothing more personal than that.

My boundaries include not going into his home, he rarely has come into my home, and as hard as it is, I do not go into exMIL's home or to her family events, though she does visit the kids here sometimes. My exH does go to my parents home with the kids but we are never all together at a family event. That will occur at graduations, weddings etc and I have no doubt everyone will enjoy it but for lesser occasions I feel it is over the line of what is appropriate or necessary.

I completely disagree with the concept that being good co-parents should extend to being each other's emotional supports as parents. To me that is a boundary always drawn by divorce, regardless of the situation, and you need to seek that support elsewhere than your ex spouse. We back each other up to the children, we share concerns, I tell the children they have a good father and he tells them to respect their mother...but I do not turn to him, or him to me, for emotional support in parenting or in any other aspect of life.

As for what is good for kids, I think clarity and predictability is what is best for all children regardless of age. I am not sure that even older children can understand being "buddy buddy" with your ex without them questioning why you are not still together if you get along so well. I think children need reassurance that there is no conflict, no need to choose sides and that the current structure of the relationships in their life is clear and stable.

My own DD who is 12 recently chastised her father and I for using old nicknames (name short forms) for each other in an e-mail she saw...this offended her sense of propriety. She said we shouldn't be "so" friendly...this seemed to shake her idea of who we are to one another. I don't think children necessarily want their parents back together--they want things to be familiar and calm. My DD loves her step dad and SM and wants to know that all these family relationships can be relied upon.

I would caution anyone starting out with the BFF model to think again...it is nice in theory and of course touted by counsellors and Hollywood etc...but the reality is that it is not likely sustainable once both people have new partners and families. If it was, I think I could have done it, given the unique situation with my exH-- and it just wasn't best for anyone in the long run.

skylarksms's picture

I cannot be friends with someone who is a person like PB is. I never tried to start crap with her. The only thing *I* ever did was date her ex-BF, take care of their kids, and show DH how manipulative she is.

I went in thinking we'd be a big Brady Bunch. My DS's father was an ass and I get along with HIM. I am told all the time how NICE I am and how great of a person I am....except with PB. To her, I am Satan in female form.

She has had mental issues since she was a child and I don't think she is properly medicated. OR, she doesn't take her meds like they are prescribed.

She has single-handedly caused herself to be the person I hate the most in the world (I never like to use the word "hate"). All because she is jealous of me. If she wanted to keep him for herself, then she SHOULD HAVE KEPT HIM FOR HERSELF! Once they broke up, he was fair game. And they had been broken up for some time before I came in the picture.

DeeDeeTX's picture

I'm just confused as to if you can be best buds for the kid, why couldnt you stay married for the kid?

I mean, nearly every study I have seen says that even if the parents arent "in love", if they can be civil to each other, and set a good example, it is better for the kids for the parents to stay together.

IMHO in the large majority of cases, if the parents can be best buddies with each other after the divorce, they should've stayed together for the kids.

(For the record, I'm not talking about being civil or nice, I'm talking about the BFF stuff, like constantly gabbing on the phone, seeing each other for lunch, even taking vacations together.)

untothebreach's picture

Do you have any really close friends of the opposite sex for whom you have no romantic feelings?

This is the only thing I can relate it to. I have a close friend, we've been very good friends since I was 15, so 17 years; I really like him and enjoy his company, but we would NEVER work in a relationship (he's a slob, he doesn't cook or clean, I don't find him physically attractive, etc etc). We would make each other miserable if we lived together... I feel similarly about my son's BD. We are great friends and great co-parents, but not great as a couple. I was not willing to sacrifice my own happiness for the sake of my son having a "conventional" nuclear family. AND I think that my son benefits far more from having two HAPPY parents under separate roofs who like each other and get along great, rather than having two unhappy parents under one roof who don't.

untothebreach's picture

(Also, for the record, BD and I don't talk on the phone more than every other week, and we don't really "gab" per se. We text often and I do call him when I need emotional support with our son, though, and I do consider him a good friend)

DeeDeeTX's picture

I mean, I dunno. If you love each other so much but just not in love and there are just little things that are nagging you, there's work arounds for that. For example, in the slob/neatnik example, hire a maid (they're actually cheaper than you think.) Make certain areas of the house designated for the slob (slob can slob up the rec room, but not the kitchen.) Whatever. For the no cooking, compromise and eat cereal for dinner. Whatever.

I mean, I'm expressing myself poorly, but in cases where people can be best buds, usually it's only little piddly things like this getting in the way that can and should be worked around if you have children.

Divorce is for things like "Spouse drinks too much" "Spouse is verbally abusive" "Spouse constantly disrespects me" "Spouse has a gambling problem"

Like, serious issues. And if you have serious issues, then why are you BFFs after the divorce? Who wants to be BFFs with an alcholic/verbal abuser/someone who disrespects you/etc.

The whole thing doesn't add up for me. Either people are getting divorces who shouldn't be, or people are being friends with people they shouldn't be friends with.

All, of course, with the disclaimer, IMHO, and I know people don't want my two cents about how to live their lives. But just explaining why it doesn't make sense for me.

untothebreach's picture

Just curious (as I mainly agree with what you are saying), where does sexual compatibility fall on that scale?

untothebreach's picture

YES! Ironically. That is (one of the reasons) why BD and I had broken up before I found out I was pregnant (at 22) I found that while he was a nice guy, I just wasn't attracted to him and did not want to have sex with him and who wants THAT for the rest of their lives?

As for my marriage (not to BD), it also ended because of sexual incompatibility which lead to verbal and emotional abuse of me by my ex-H. Our sex life was great until we got married, after which, he stopped contributing to the household chores, and started drinking too much, and I stopped wanting to have sex with him. Incidentally, if he hadn't become abusive about the lack of sex I *WOULD* have stayed married to him because despite feeling like an unpaid housekeeper, I was fairly content, and desperately wanted a "family."

Like I said, everyone's situation is different. I'm not judging (though, woah, I do feel judged), was just trying to bring a different perspective to the table.

untothebreach's picture

It's hard for me to tell if you are intentionally misinterpreting what I am saying, misunderstanding it, or just not reading it?

Either way, I can tell we have a very different view of life in general.

Best of luck with your SD and DDs and your blended family.

untothebreach's picture

Hmmm. Yes, I see...

Anyway. My last comment on it is that BD (and his live in girlfriend of 5 years) and myself (and my boyfriend), and ALL of our families, AND our son (who is smart, well adjusted, popular, and well behaved) find it to work out great. BD and I have never so much as raised our voices at one another so I highly doubt WW3 is imminent.

I was married (ex-H and BD got along very well also, btw) and ex-H and I both could not stand my SS and SD's BMs and I wanted as little to do with them as possible, I was still polite to them though. I get that it is a very unique situation and everyone's experiences may be different and there is no one right answer.

My only point in elaborating on my current situation was to try to open some minds about other possibilities besides, BM vs BD, SM vs BM, or SD vs BD as it does not have to be that way and in my experience it works much better when it is not.

That's it.

hippiegirl's picture

Stepmomma83....I think that's the problem us new wives have. If I want to have a family with my DH, then I don't think his ex should get a vote on that, it shouldn't even be DISCUSSED with her. I understand totally how this upsets some women. Luckily, my DH and his ex cow can't stand each other.

darky's picture

And I hate that Bm gets extremely troublesome to us at the time of my pregnancies. I don't know why it affects her considering it was her grand plan to become a single mum right from the beginning. It was her who cheated on my DH, treated him like crap and made sure he left her before SS was 1 yr old. Why can't she move on with her own life. She never wants to talk to anyone about SS problems anyway she only wants to talk about her own!!!