You are here

WAY O/T BUT NEED TO VENT

proudstepmommy's picture

So this Sunday is not only Father's Day... but my birthday as well.

So the plan is to spend the morning with SD & DH (dote on him of course) and then we were going to go to a concert that evening for my birthday.

Then the other day I get an email from my dad & stepmom inviting me and my family to a birthday party for my niece on my birthday (niece's birthday was last weekend- I have no problem whatsoever doing a joint party,).

No where does it mention me, it just says "(niece)'s pretty in pink party"... Of course, this is after last year where I didn't even get a text from them on my bday (did get a call about a week after asking if we could do dinner to celebrate). But I can't help but be bothered by all this. I know I shouldn't, and it's dumb, but still.

Please do not get me wrong, I adore my niece and can't wait to spoil her with her bday gifts... but still.

(~plans for the day are still the same, just a bit busier than originally expected).

AllySkoo's picture

Aw, that sucks! I mean, I get that birthdays are more important to kids than adults (having had fewer of them), but still - your Dad should at least call you on your birthday! I'm sorry they're being inconsiderate, but I hope you have a blast at the concert and a happy birthday!!!

Mom2's picture

I would be hurt by it. Go have fun at the concert. Tell them you already have plans and enjoy your birthday!

I hope my story helps. My Niece's bday is the same day as mine. My sister always has a cake for her on or around her birthday. As soon as my niece was able to understand (3 yrs old) that my bday was the same day she NEVER lets anyone forget. As soon as everyone is finished singing HBD to her she says “and again for Auntie, Mom relight the candles!” She is 9 yrs old now.

AllySkoo's picture

That may be the sweetest thing ever!! Your niece is clearly a very special and wonderful young lady. Smile

proudstepmommy's picture

UPDATE-

So birthday/father's day came and went. Sure enough the party was for just my niece, but oh well. I did get a very nice gift from my sister (niece's mom) and from my Dad & SM... so I can't really complain too much I guess. It was great to see family, and my niece is growing like a weed!!!

My sister did try to go out of her way to let me know that she felt the party was for both of us (dad & sm did all the decorating etc) but when we sang happy bday she made sure to throw in "and dear proudstepmommy" too.

All-in-all it was a great weekend... PLUS I got to cap it off with tickets to see my fav. boyband BSB on Sunday (tickets courtesy of DH for my bday).