You are here

LESSON LEARNED

proudstepmommy's picture

So I just got an email "thanking me for a my purchase of x"...

I didn't authorize any purchases... and when I go to investigate it, sure enough it's the app SD11 wanted to get my approval to purchase. I told her no, and that there are plenty of free apps out there.

SD got a tablet roughly a year and a half ago... and at the time, she needed a google account to associate with it... so I agreed to let her use mine. With one rule... only FREE apps.

Well apparently she has figured out that I had a wallet account associated with the same service- I had ordered some gifts from another website that only accepts that as a payment.

On google play it says which device/person downloaded the item... so I know it was her. I know it was only $6.99- but that's not the point.

For now- DH has been notified, and all passwords associated with the service have been changed.

I love SD, but am so upset right now... ugh!

proudstepmommy's picture

NM- according to DH... BM got SD a "google play" gift card and she was supposed to use that instead... and "accidentally" used my credit card... idk

Orange County Ca's picture

Well she gets the benefit of doubt first time around and after she pays back the seven bucks.

proudstepmommy's picture

Orange County Ca- I am going to do that... DH said he'd pay me back for now. Told him not to worry about it.

But the more I think about it, the more I get concerned... I highly doubt SD put in the gift card info herself... which means either BM or her older half sisters might have seen my debit card info... ugh... might have to watch my bank account some and see if anything suspicious pops up. I don't think they would do anything, but you never know...

Drac0's picture

>... DH said he'd pay me back for now.<

GARGH! This is something my DW does. She covers for him and *maybe* she'll remember to get the kid to pay up. How does DH paying you back teach this kid a lesson?

Accordn2L's picture

Amen Draco! Why not make the kid do a chore/chores worth the amount she charged on your account without your permission? I assure you if it's something manual she won't repeat that mistake. WE all have to stop letting these kids slide by, they need to know how to be accountable for their actions.

hangingbyathread6's picture

My SS was doing that on a regular basis, and then would say I didn't do it! I would say show me your iPod and sure enough. So he was grounded, the iPod taken away and still there were some charges (it went to a card that is connected to our joint bank account. How did this happen you ask? Was it younger SS? Oh no...it was BM. Using DH's iTunes account and purchasing things. Well the passwords were changed and SSs were not allowed to know the pw. If they needed to update one of their free apps they had to bring it to one of us. Period.

And I bet you can guess if DH ever made BM pay the $ right? Not that it was a lot...but in my opinion...$6 is TOO much for that POS that tries to call herself a mom

katielee's picture

SD12 did the same thing. All passwords changed now. No consequences, of course. No wonder these kids are so entitled.

SugarSpice's picture

we have a phone account and adult skid still on the bill. well the used download max was almost up so dh called me and accused me to using too much app time. i rarely use my apps. later he looked into the account and found it was skid using all the air time. i guess her royal highness was using all the app time.

SugarSpice's picture

maybe an innocent mistake but maybe sd trying to pull a fast one. young kids are savvy these days about computer apps and whether one needs to purchase or not.

AllySkoo's picture

My son has a kid's tablet that also requires a Google account. So I set one up for him, because I was NOT risking that he might accidentally download crap I'd have to pay for! Lol You can set up a Google account without a credit card. Set one up for her and change it on her tablet so it's not linked to yours anymore.

proudstepmommy's picture

*UPDATE*

Both SD & BM are adament that this was a mistake... BM says she gave SD a "google play card" to use to download the game. BM did, however, it wasn't enough $ which is why my debit card was charged.

I have since taken all my card info off the account... and changed the password... so next time she even wants to download anything she will have to call/text me and ask for the new one.

I do, however, like the fact that you can monitor all activity on google play right from my desktop... hell, I can even see which house the device is at (she has it on her tablet- which she keeps at our house, and her cell phone- which she takes back and forth)... so I may just leave her on there.

And no- Dad (or BM- as far as i'm aware) does not have a gmail account.