You are here

Wash your damn hands!

FarmerStepMama's picture

So with no school for at least the next week, FH and BM have swtiched the schedule to summer guidelines, which is 4 nights on 4 nights off. I have already told FH that if he can't manage to get SD10 to wash her damn hands after using the bathroom I'm not staying here while they are out of school. This kid has no sense of germs and will never wash her hands. As soon as I hear the tpilet flush I yell at her to wash them and even then she still lies sometimes. Any ideas of good consequences when she does this? I was thinking about having her sanitize the bathroom after, such as door handles, faucet, toilet etc since I have been having to go in there after her and do it so the rest of the family doesnt get sick. But I know she will do a crappy (pun intended) job and waste the clorox wipes. I want a sort of punishment that will get her to think twice about coming out with dirty hands. FH is bewildered about her habits as well but gives her endless chances. SHE IS 10!!!

Survivingstephell's picture

She stays in her room. Period. If she needs to come out , she used the bathroom then goes back to her room.   Time to eat? She gets supervised while washing hands. Doesn't like to be supervised? She goes back to her room.   

I can't imagine letting a 10 yo germ center rule my house spreading it everywhere.   She's quarantined, not you. 

ndc's picture

Get a liquid soap with a distinctive scent for the bathroom.  If it's a scent SD likes that's a bonus.  When SD comes out, you'll be able to tell if she washed her hands by whether you can smell the soap.   You won't know if she's done a good job, but you'll know if the soap has touched her hands.  If not, then she goes to her room, away from others in the household, and she remains there until she learns how to exercise proper hygiene.  I wouldn't bother to have her clean the bathroom - she'd do a shit job and you'd have to redo it.