You are here

504 Meeting

FarmerStepMama's picture

Question...

Joint legal custody. Can BM make an appointment to get SD11 a 504 plan (when she doesn't have any documented disablility), tell DH about the meeting 3 days beforehand, and then say, "you can make your own meeting" when asked what time it is, etc?

I'm 99% sure she has already signed for the 504 plan, before DH even read it. Can she sign for those things alone when they have joint legal? There is no part in the CO that says either of them have final say in anything.

I'm so tired of this b!tch acting like she is the only parent and the only one making parenting decisions. SD11 does not have a disability, unless you include laziness. BM does her online homework for her. She has never once tried in school and never made to do anything. BM dragged her around to different therapists and doctors trying to get an ADHD or anxiety diagnosis so she could get some extra adderall coming in. All the doctors and teachers say she is fine, she just doesn't apply herself and doesn't care. BM has not tried getting a tutor, practiced math facts, changing her all junk food diet, NOTHING. She isn't even allowed the bring her chromebook or homework over to our house.

DH is pretty pissed he wasn't at the 504 meeting. Right now we are putting that in the "Things to bring up next time in court" file. It's getting pretty full at this point. 

notarelative's picture

If he has joint legal, he can call the school and ask if the 504 meeting was held. If it was, he should ask for the findings, and if a 504 was signed, for a copy to be mailed to him. 
While he has them on the phone he should tell them that he expects to be notified about any future 504 meetings (and follow up with a letter stating the same).

Can BM legally sign? That's a legal question, but my guess is yes if it's not forbidden by the CO. 

mommadukes2015's picture

A lot goes into proving a disability. There are assessments and appointments and meetings and follow up. A 504 is not what you want if the kid is found to actually have a disability anyway. 504 removes barriers to education an IEP is about the child's whole educational experience and has a lot more child specific detailed support. 

and you can consent to either without the other parent. SO signs for all my SS's stuff and BM never comes to meetings or even the planning meetings. 

Livingoutloud's picture

You don't need to have a disability to have 504. And other parent doesn't need to consent. But if you want to attend those meetings, tell counselor to be invited