You are here

As usual....I'm the bad guy and the reason SD doesn't come over.

EvilWickedSM's picture

It’s been a while since I’ve been on here. All has been going pretty smoothly at my house. Mostly because I have little or nothing to do with SD when she deems our house worthy of visiting, aside from saying hi or bye, or responding to her when she talks to me.

A couple weeks ago she did come over one night. The four of us were sitting down to dinner at our table, which seats 4. SD had left her laptop at one of the places and sits down at one of the empty seats, leaving her grandmother the space with the laptop. I see that grandma is sitting at the corner of the table on a backless, cushionless, stool instead of sitting in the comfortable chair since the computer is there. I ask SD to put her computer in her room. She gets an immediate attitude, so her tells her to put it away. Her response “Can I finish eating first”….with major attitude. He tells her to put it away. She snatched that computer up with such force that the Ipod cord attached to it came within an inch of hitting her grandmother in the face. Of course, I was the only one who saw this.

FF to last night. DH, DD, SD and I were in the kitchen and DD tells SD that she wishes she could come with us this weekend. SD responds in her typical smart-mouthed, duh why are you stupid enough to talk to me, way and says “It’s mother’s day weekend!”. (I know, the words were harmless, but just imagine the attitude they were said with…I know you know what I’m talking about Wink ) So I said to SD that DD was just making a statement and there was no need to be so smart with her. So she says, again in that smartass attitudy way “okayyyy”. I told her that was enough of the attitude….and DH jumps in my ass about it! I told him I was not going to allow her to talk to my daughter like crap, nor was I going to allow her to disrespect me in my home. So he was like “I’m going to take up for my daughter too”. I just said WTF-ever and walked away.

He came downstairs and proceeds to tell me how tired he is of me treating his daughter like crap, blah, blah, blah. I asked for examples and he couldn’t come up with any. I just plain out told him that I was not going to be disrespected and I wasn’t going to allow my daughter to be. I told him that his daughter needs to learn how to treat people, because she thinks she can talk to anyone any way that she wants and God forbid anyone even look at her in a way she doesn’t like, because the world ends. I went on to add that I can’t stand when she is there because everyone coddles her and she treats everyone like they’re the scum of the earth. I am resentful that my 9 year old daughter has responsibilities around the house, and rules, etc, but his 16 year old comes and sits her ass in her room the entire time she is there, does nothing around the house, and doesn’t even help with the dog….which was one of the conditions of getting the dog. I told him that I am sick of her using me as the excuse as to why she doesn’t come to the house very often, and that she only uses me as an excuse to make herself feel better for treating her dad like a second-hand citizen. He did end up apologizing to me and I did admit that I am very resentful of the fact that there are no expectations of her to treat people nicely while in our home, and it sometimes causes me to not enjoy it when she is there. I also asked him if he disagrees with me or something I do regarding the kids, to not call me out like that in front of them, because all he is doing is making me out to be the bad guy, even more than I already am. After all, he's the fun one who lets her do whatever she wants, and I'm the mean one who expects her to show basic courtesy.

So, this morning after DH and SD left to take her to school DD told me that she knows why SD doesn’t come over very often. Apparently after I went downstairs last night SD told DD that “this is the reason I don’t come over”. I told DD that I am not the reason that she doesn’t come over, that she’s allowed to do whatever she wants at her mom’s house and isn’t allowed to here, and THAT is the reason she doesn’t come over. So, I texted my husband when I was on the way to work this morning to tell him that he and I needed to have a talk with SD about this because I’m sure she no longer wishes to join us at the beach this summer for a week-long vacation. I mean, if I’m the reason she doesn’t come over, she surely doesn’t want to be around me for one week…wouldn’t you think. I know it would accomplish nothing, but again, it's her wanting only what she wants. She uses me as an excuse to not come over because she doesn't want to come over (which is fine with me) BUT I'm okay to spend the week with at the beach because that's something SHE wants to do.

morethanibargainedfor's picture

Read my previous blog post "I'm a bitch".
SD13 just recently pulled the same thing. I'm the reason she doesn't want to come over apparently. But yet I'm sure she couldn't come up with one single instance where I have been rude to her or done anything wrong at all or anything to provoke her behavior.
You hit the nail on the head. She doesn't want to come over because she is allowed to do whatever she wants at BM's and thinks she can talk to people however she wants. It's only once you start standing up for yourself and your daughter that you are the bad guy.
And you are exactly right. If she hates you so much and doesn't want to be around you then there is no reason she should have to endure a terrible week with you at the beach Smile

clydella's picture

No way, no how would I take her to the beach. We all have to live with consequences of our actions & words, time for to SD to learn. You don't like me, fine, you don't have to be around me, but that includes here or at the beach.

Patsy's picture

Nope I wouldn't take her either! In fact for the last two years I told DH that if he wanted SD to go he would be the one entertaining her not me. Guess what, she hasn't gone...

Patsy's picture

Apparently after I went downstairs last night SD told DD that “this is the reason I don’t come over."
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
My Sd would do the same thing to my DD. It was bad enough I would always have to deal with SD's attitude when she was with us, but then to have to deprogram my DD after SD was there just got to be too much. Sd can turn anyone she wants on me, but leave my daughter out of it.

Patsy's picture

^^^This works! For sure tell him HE will be responsible for keeping SD entertained and in line. I would bet she doesn't go. Out of 24 vacations I can only remember 1 time that SD didn't ruin it. She was 5 years old and it was the first family trip.

thinkthrice's picture

Your DH is a complete idiot! He's set the dangerous precedent of catering to her every whim and free ranging her in the hopes that "she'll want to continue to come over"

This NEVER works! A spoiled child is a very unpleasant, unhappy child that creates misery for everyone.

He's fallen into the trap!

1. spoil your child bcause no child outwardly 'likes' rules
2. child becomes a very unhappy, thin skinned dictator, inwardly feels unloved due to lack of boundaries
3. child becomes unpleasant to be around yet bioparent looks the other way
4. others notice child's behaviour is horrific and tries to alert bioparent
5. bioparent demands that others put up with the anti-social beaviour because s(he) might lose child in the spoiling wars (TM)
6. child becomes ever more demanding, obnoxious
7. bioparent and child blame others for their actions (or inaction)
8. child eventually PASes out SOONER as s(he) has no love or respect for herself/himself or anyone else including the bioparents.

frustratedstepdad's picture

You had every right to stand up yourself the way you did. As a matter of fact, I would take it one step further. You tell him that either HE puts SD in check when she acts like that, or YOU will do it, whether he agrees with it or not.

No one should have to put up with being disrespected in their own home. I've dealt with it for years with my SD24 who is a spoiled BRAT. You keep putting your foot down, and you put it down HARD.

rainbow bright83's picture

Been there. I've also heard the "you're too strict" why? because when I asked the skid(s) to do something and they didn't there was consequences? How dare I try to instill values into any child!

Most of us have been blamed for something when it comes to Skids.

Melly75's picture

She sounds like a manipulative little shit and I know how that feels I have 3 skids and two of them are very manipulative and sly. It’s hard work as you can’t do right for doing wrong and sadly it put a strain on any relationship. Although your partner probably feels stuck in the middle he should still support you and his daughter needs to learn and show some respect. I really feel for you as I know how draining it can be, stand your ground as you have done nothing wrong 

sunshinex's picture

I would absolutely lose it if my SD talked bad about me to my son. That would be the end of any fair treatment from me. Sorry you're dealing with this and it's even worse that your husband isn't sticking up for you. 

ndc's picture

Oh, I'm sure you'd still treat her fairly. But what is fair treatment of a decent human being isn't the same as fair treatment of a lying, manipulating, evil person.

sunshinex's picture

I'd still treat her fairly, but I wouldn't go out of my way for her if she was trash-talking me to my son. At the moment, I go out of my way for both kids quite often, but any negative treatment from her involving my son and that stops.