You are here

Tears were shed at the table tonight.

Timetogiveup's picture

We went out to dinner tonight, the same place we have been going at least once a week for the past 10 years.
DH and I where have a discussion, Stink (SS17) always feels the need to interrupt with some sort of off the wall comment.
Tonight he interrupted with: “How do people eat live lobsters? Is it hard to do? In his baby voice that I loathe so much. We ignored him. He repeated that statement several times, getting loader and more babyish each time. I finally said, “if you were 7 that might be cute at 17 it is pathetic.” He let out a fake squeal and continued the loud baby talk about eating a live lobster, now people at other tables were just staring with perplexed looks. I told him that he was acting really stupid and he should really think about what he is saying. DH chimed in and said he didn’t know, he never saw it before. It’s on the front on the menu, that hasn’t changed in the past 10 years. Now the whining included the fake crying sounds, all choked up we was saying “It’s soooo mean lobsters have families too”. I finally said shut the F up. With that, he laid his head on the table, started kicked the table legs, bang the table with his fists and started the fake crying.
I look at DH and just said do you think this is normal for a 17 year old? DH of course, said I was being harsh and he was only joking around. I reminded DH that this is the third outburst over eating live food in the past 2 weeks, he has been baby talking since I met him and he sheds the fake tears almost daily. I just he is a regular comedian….I hope he can find steady employment as the Village Idiot.

Timetogiveup's picture

He does have a mild case of Asberger's but the therapist assures me that these behaviors are not related to AS.

dodgegal05's picture

this doesnt sound like a normal 17 yr old...does he have some kind of developmental disorder? I feel for you. if ur H thinks ur being harsh, then he should hear what I would say to that kid. I wouldnt take him anywhere, get a baby sitter, and treat as a child until he doesnt act like one. I know this wouldnt help probably, but i dont know if i could deal with all that any other way. You are one strong woman.

Timetogiveup's picture

We stopped taking him with us every place we went. I'm really sorry but I have a serious problem with a 17 yo that has to shadow his parents.....get an F'ing life. But he become unbearable...he would call DH..."what are you doing" or "are you having fun without me " and he would throw fits when we would leave. So once again he is coming every place with us....I swear just to make me miserable.

His behavior is getting worse by the day....every single day he is having some sort of retarded outburst. I went to the therapist yesterda and she agreed with me that his behavior is getting worse. I am really trying to deal with this, last year he caused alot all stress in my life. I have some issues that are stress related....I have worked really hard in the past year to deal with my stress and improve my health....I don't want this idiot kid to kill me.

I'm just glad...I can vent here. This just really sucks.

doll faced sm's picture

Maybe a possible solution is to resume the "no going out w/ parents" rule and add onto it a "daddy turns his phone off while on a date with his wife" clause.

paul_in_utah's picture

My SD17 also does the "shadowing" thing. She can't stand it if DW and I do anything together. Heaven help us if she were to "miss out" on something. It's not that she even wants to do these things, she just wants to prevent me from having time with DW.

herewegoagain's picture

PS - my son is 9 yrs old and autistic and DOES NOT DO THIS...this is being an idiot.. }:)

Anon2009's picture

I certainly don't think this is normal behavior for a 17-year-old. However, is he getting help for his Asperger's?

I really think the person with the problem here is DH. He has his head in the sand. He thinks SS is only joking around. It does not sound like he is getting SS any help for dealing with the Asperger's. Maybe he knows deep down that SS needs help, but doesn't want to deal with the fact that his kid has a disability? I don't know. What I do know is that by keeping his head in the sand about this, he's hurting and hindering SS, albeit unintentionally. The only way SS might change at this point is if his dad gets him proper help.

I have Asperger's too. I don't have the same exact symptoms your SS does, but I can say that getting professional help can make things a thousand times better. I hope that, for your sake and SS's, that DH will get this kid help.

Timetogiveup's picture

Yes, he has been getting help for a while. He is high functioning. You are right the problem here is DH and BM. They have coddled and pampered this kid, his really bad behavioral outbursts are related to that not AS.

Kes's picture

Whether or not the behaviour is related to his aspergers, if particular behaviours are reinforced by those around them (in humans or animals) they will tend to become more entrenched and occur more often.
It sounds as if the behaviour you are describing has (probably not intentionally) been reinforced by attention or whatever else has occured as a result of it. You and your DH will need to work, possibly with the therapist, on extinguishing those behaviours. Your reaction - of getting angry, though perfectly understandable - may be, as your DHs "coddling and pampering", be prolonging this unwanted behaviour.

giveitago's picture

Even with aspberger's syndrome children will manipulate! My younger son is at the more able end of the spectrum and he's a very devious young man! I have a friend who has a son who is more autistic and he throws tantrums too, to achieve the desired result. It is a learned behaviour in ALL children, not just those with conditions like aspbergers, and it takes time to unlearn. I want to imagine that DH will feel bad enough that he is the cause of it, and BM too...if she has a concience! It's probably going to have to be undone more subtly, to achieve a better pace to unlearn the behavior. SD has a lot of learned behaviors that came from BM, behaviors that got her before a juvenile judge. Functional family therapy was one thing that the juvenile judge ordered, the thinking is that if the parenting style is re structured then the impacts are felt all the way down the line. There is no instant fix, positive reinforcement works very well and not getting upset works even better! The boy is trying to train you the same way he trained his parents and he's struggling hard with it...he will persist too!! The boy does not know any other way to do things so I believe that the best thing you can do is to teach him social skills. He's not a stupid boy, not by any means! I am reading that he knows exactly what he's doing, right? I am willing to bet that DH knows what's wrong but is in denial, or feeling guilty. I think the therapist really should be the one to let him know that his secret is out, and guide him through a process. I know I tried to effect changes here but until a third party enlightned DH I was wasting my time! Have you thought about what to do next? Can I suggest that you look for some positive aspects about the boy? Praise him when he does something good, ignore him when he does something bad. I found that to be helpful with our juvenile delinquent girl here. I never dignified a child's tantrum, just ignored it. Make sure he's safe and ignore him completely and he'll soon get the picture that his behavior is not achieving the desired results. DH might take a while to get around to the idea but he'll make it, trust me, he wants a solution but he has to begin the change within himself. This is where you plant the seeds of change, most pleasantly, in his mind and watch them germinate. It takes about three weeks for an idea you plant to get through to him and to become like his own idea and you can let him consider he found the solution! Say something like I agree with you that SS's behavior was a little inapropriate, ask him how best to deal with it too. NO ONE likes to bear the brunt of blame for wrongdoings. Once you shift the focus away from blame, eliminate it if you can, then maybe the solution will come.

hismineandours's picture

You all shouldve left when he became inappropriate. I know that that spoils the evening for you, but it looks like it was spoiled already-regardless of whether this is an "aspergers" sx or not-it still cannot be ignored and accepted as appropriate. The goal is to teach aspergers kids appropriate social skills so they have an easier time functioning in society. Dh cannot ignore this behavior-if it is not corrected how is it going to get any better ever? He does probably delight in pissing you off-so I dont think I would show any anger with him-just get up and leave and say that it is not appropriate to whine and raise one's voice in a restaurant and since he cannot have appropriate behavior there he will no longer be going out to eat with you guys. Let him "practice" his good table manners at home. Give him consequences for bad behavior/rewards when his behavior is good.

Timetogiveup's picture

I'm a dog trainer, I do AKC sports. I understand the training/learning theories better than most....I do really well in the show ring. DH thinks when I try to correct the kid, I am treating him like a dog. My dogs can go into public including patio restaurants and be mannerly. It's a shame when the dogs are better behaved....DH is very proud of how the dogs act. But his kid acts worse than the dogs.

I think at this point, I don't care and I want to just let it all go. I have done more than I should have to help this kid.....his parent think he is just find....whatever.

Timetogiveup's picture

Yeah....they have prong collars on. I do correct my dogs. If more people corrected their kids, my DH included, the world would be a better place. But....this kid isn't mine to correct.

alwaysanxious's picture

I really feel for you with this kid. I have no idea why a teenage boy would act like a 2 year old. I'm sure 2 year olds don't even act like this.

Your husband is in huuuuuge denial. He has to know that 17 year old boys don't act like this. He should be forced to go around other aspergers teens to see that they don't act like this.

on the fence's picture

Does anyone remember the movie Dirty Rotten Scoundrels where Steve Martin had to play Ruprict? That would drive me nuts!

I am so sorry for you! I think I would have walked out of the restaurant! Is it possible that this kid needs residential treatment?

Timetogiveup's picture

The therapist and I talked about him going to a half way house....but it isn't up to us. The problem is, he is a high functioning ASPIE....there is no in house places for hime. The other behaviors are just want he learned would get his way......the only treatment for that is the real world.

on the fence's picture

I agree with Maux. This would be so embarrassing. We have a relation (Age 17)who is pretty strange and some of his behaviors remind me of your SS, only not so sever and they are DEFINITELY learned! If it works, they use it.

I often wonder how that kid will function. We were just saying the other night that he will likely be living in his mommy's basement still when he is 40. It's all her doing, what's he supposed to do? Learn to be a man at this late date? I don't think he'll be fully functional in society. So sad, but so terribly annoying! I don't think I'd be going out to dinner with him and DH anymore. If you're making such a big deal about it, let him deal with it. I hope you people don't think he's yours! You're likely to be asked not to come back the restaurant with scenes like that. I'm wondering what happens when he turns 18? Will anything change as far as visitation? I expect he'll always come around wanting to be taken to dinner. I feel so bad for him, but it doesn't seem like there's anything you can do. How awful!

Timetogiveup's picture

Thess are learned behaviors. When I see him interact with BM, I want to PUKE. He was 16 yo and still sitting in the back seat, the safest place incase of an accident. She would take his backpack put in the SUV, help him in, and hand his his "car books"....PUKE.

I don't think he will ever function in society, the kid blows his nose in his shirt, has to eat with his hands (he can use a fork, but not a knife...so he speared stuff with his fork and chews on it...it's gross). The list is endless. DH thiks he is just gonna figure it out. Whatever.

I make damn sure everyone knows I am the step.....there are times I do want to crawl under a rock. Last Feb, she dumped him here full time, things changed. He expected to be with DAD 24/7. every palce we went..he had to go. I stopped going places with them. That was one of the reasons why I dragged DH to the therapist. When DH & I started doing thing without him....he threw a fit

DH plans on keeping him here until he finishes college. I don't think that will happen. DH also claims he would put him in the homeless shelter. DH put his stepson in the homeless shelter, he is allowed to come here for dinner but he can't stay here (he lives out of state now). DH swears he will do the same to his kid.

As far as him living with us. We already have a retirement place....I have a retirement place. It's MY house, my parents passed and left me an inheritance. He sleeps in the loft now....there is not a bedroom for him. DH knows I am serious about this, when he is finished witrh college...he cot will be moved to next to the hot water heater. When I going to build....I was doing a one bedroom, it was going to have dog grooming room.....the lady that was designing the house with me almost pee'ed her pants when I wanted a platform by the hotwater heater in the basement...I wasn't kidding then and I am not kidding now. The kid will not be living with us.

I do feel bad for the kid BUT he has no desire to grow up. I'm done.

raindrop's picture

I would suggest finding a Aspie forum and ask those members questions. i don't know your story, but can u just sit the lil dude down, pull the silver spoon from his mouth, and have a nice lil chat with him while keeping your cool? Also, can he join the service with this disease? he needs to get out of the house and into the real world asap. life is 2 short to deal with this ish.

hismineandours's picture

How can this kid go to college? Make it from class to class? I think if he goes to college he will be there a LONG time.