You are here

Taxes/CO

ej'scrazy's picture

According to the CO and finances at the time CS was evaluated, BM was allowed to claim both kids on taxes. Custody was 50/50.

This past year, we have had the kids 70% of the time; mainly because BM asked DH to take the kids. Dh's income has gone down about 5-6,000 this year, and from what we know (we don't have all the details, obviously) BM has kept the same income, and may have gone up due to her needing us to take the kids (she had to work).

Now that times and finances have changed, can we request a review of the CS equation, so that DH and BM can each claim a kid? Is it worth the fight that will ensue?

derb84123's picture

Have him contact child support enforcement for your state. Each state has different guidelines on reviews- mine you have to wait three years or have a change in income of 40% or more. But yes, he is welcome to ask that they review it as many times as he wishes throughout.

PolyMom's picture

^This^ Totally agree. My ex used to ask if we could each claim a child, but seeing as our custody is more like 90/10, and he's total crap when it comes to money I said no.

SMof2Girls's picture

Agree .. assuming parents have joint custody and get as close to 50/50 custody as possible considering their unique circumstances.