You are here

Should Ex be allowed in house

pwoodlson's picture

Should the ex be allowed in the house to visit with their kids? What if the kids ask for it and want it? This makes me feel very uncomfortable. I was told I was jealous and insecure because this made me uncomfortable because I should trust my spouse and that they would never cheat. But still I don't like it. It feels very strange. Any thoughts?

caitlinj's picture

The ex shouldn't be in the house period. For pick up's ex can wait in their car. There's no reason to be in the house period. I swear people don't understand what getting a divorce means. And what are they teaching their kids? That divorce means nothing and everything can be close and hunky dory? Um no. And that mommy and daddy are such good friends and maybe sometimes get together and sometimes they don't and step parent is always the bad one. Talk about confusing to these poor kids. The home is a sacred and private place for you and your marriage. It should be off limits to the ex, period. I don't care whose baby daddy/baby momma they are. They should've thought about that before signing those divorce papers. Set a good example for your marriage and move on. Boundaries with ex needed immensely. Calling you jealous is to distract you from their wrong doing.

Anon9876's picture

Exactly!!! Do not let anyone tell you you are bing jealous and insecure for wanting your DH to treat his ex like an ex!

That means no she doesn't come in the house.

She wants to see her kids? Great, wait in the driveway because you are not welcome in OUR home.

It is your house that you share with your DH. She is not included in that dynamic.

Her only role in your life is the association she has with her kids.

There is no reason for her to invade your privacy and sanctuary to impose her presence and 'put you in your place' as far as your standing in the family.

You don't want her there? Her a#$ can sit outside.

Her quality time with her kids is to be spent at her house, not yours.

She has no right to impose herself and make you feel threatened and unconfortable.

Ispofacto's picture

It's an invasion of your privacy.  Calling you jealous is disrespectful.

STaround's picture

Not unless kid dying and ambulance on the way

second1's picture

Don't allow your DH to tell you how you feel.  The way you feel is your perception and that is all that matters and he should respect that and not try to tell you how you should or shouldn't feel.  

I don't know the answer to the ex coming inside the house.  One time I came home from somehwere (don't remember where) and my DH's adult daughter was visiting (she lived out of town) but ................ when she came to visit BM came with her.  So they were all sitting in the living room talking.  It really wasn't DH's fault because when he answered the door he couldn't very well tell his ex to get lost since daughter and BM were travelling together.  Did I like it -- nope.  It made me very uncomfortable.  You feel like your safe space was invaded.  I would think a decent BM should respect boundaries but they usually don't.  If you make a fuss or say something to the kids then everyone thinks that you are causing problems when things were going smoothly.  So, the long and short of it -- I have no idea what the right answer is.

However your DH should never tell you how you feel.  I second the earlier poster that said it is disrespectful.   I feel strongly about that because my DH did that to me for a lot of years about everything, not just skids, and it gets to where you don't want to communicate at all.

ndc's picture

Only if it's OK with you.  I personally am OK with SO's ex coming into the house when she's picking up/dropping off the kids, or when we're having a birthday party for one of the kids (we do joint parties). I totally understand why others would not be, and I certainly have limits.  While I'm OK with her standing in the entryway or the hallway, I don't want her wandering around or sitting down in the living room and making herself at home while she's waiting for the kids.  

Not wanting the ex in the house has nothing to do with lack of trust in one's spouse - it's more about boundaries and privacy and YOUR comfort level.  Neither your husband nor anyone else gets to determine what your comfort level is or should be.  If you don't want the ex in the house, she shouldn't be there.  Period.

pwoodlson's picture

Its interesting because I don't know why it makes me feel uncomfortable but it does. I've explored wether or not its jealousy or lack of trust. I'm not sure which. It feels like a privacy invasion, a disrespect for our marriage and the lack of control over whats going on in my home.

Livingoutloud's picture

It’s annoying but since it’s his house and you two don’t live together you can’t really say that much. You can keep in mind though that if you two marry and live together, it might be a problem.  I am not sure why you are referring to this as marriage if just three weeks ago you were dating and you complained that he rarely sees you. When did you get married and moved in? 

georgina29's picture

My advice to her is not to marry this man him. Red flags everywhere. He seems to be emenshed with his ex. Likely if they marry he will be doing the same thing but hiding it. The Ex should not be in his house. Its inappropriate. 

markwvualum's picture

I agree with this. I co parent with my ex and the last thing I would allow is her in our home. My wife feels the same about her ex thankfully. Boundaires are key here. If the ex wants to see their kids no reason they cant spend time with them at their place.

Maria10's picture

Even if she allows DH in hers. BM without my express invitation is to wait in the driveway.  I should mention I owned my house before I got married and that gives me a bit more control.

When DH and I got married I told him he could invite both BMs for a visit(ONE visit) so that they know where the kids live. Neither replied or came over. DH was the one not comfortable with it.

As far as DH going over their houses it is also uncomfortable for both of us. Sometimes he will go in when bm husband is home alone with ss. There is never going over with him and either BM alone.

It has nothing to do with jealousy. It has to do with healthy boundaries. 

How would your DH feel if you continually texted and met with your ex? Brought your ex into the house? Giggled at his jokes as he sat on your husbands side of the couch? Offered him his favorite tea? How about if that ex was the one who emotionally blackmailed you and made you feel like poo? Well what kind of boundaries would your husband want you to have with your ex ? 

Notup4it's picture

Ew no. I wouldn’t want either of our ex’s in our house either.... just an invasion of privacy, and why?!

if the kids are missing them they can go take them out for dinner or to a movie or walk or whatever. I would be very bothered by this as well. 

What should matter is how you feel about it, and is how you feel doesn’t matter then you have a problem. 

amyburemt's picture

ask the ex if he would be ok with your ex bf coming over next thursday while he's at work.

marblefawn's picture

I would not like this. It's hard enough carving out your space when there are skids.

I understand why he might not see your point of view. He may know in his head that he has no feelings for BM and to him, that's all this could possibly be about. But it's not about that for you, right? It's about a privacy and comfort thing.

Ask how he'd feel if your ex came over to spend some time hanging out. If he says it's different because of the skids, tell him you're not talking about skids and you have no problem with the skids being there. You're strictly talking about exes.

elkclan's picture

This one is really hard. My ex sometimes comes in my house. But I try to keep it LIMITED. My SO doesn't have a problem with it. EVen more awkward is that I've been inside his ex's house and even HER bedroom. The kids invited me in and wanted to show me around. I know it was super awkward for her, but she did well considering.

My ex doesn't have a partner, but she would be welcome in my home if she existed - but not too much!!! 

Pregnantwithquestions's picture

I’m torn on this a little.

On the one hand, I don’t think BM entering our house says anything about my DH’s ability to be faithful to me. She could walk through stark naked and it wouldn’t be something I’d need to worry about from that perspective! I trust him, and there’s he’s given me no reason not to

On the other hand—I also really value privacy and not letting just anyone have access to my home and our lifestyle. Since we have been married, BM has never been IN our home—she has only been as far as the front door. That said, she used to live in that home so she knows what it looks like and there’s nothing in there of interest to her as far as I can tell. She’s not the type to insist to come in, so if she did start acting like she wanted to come in regularly—that would be very out of character for her and would make me think she suspects something is awry.

TrueNorth77's picture

It's ridiculous that your DH expects you to have BM in the house and just be fine with it. I'm sure he would be totally fine with it if he were in your situation, right? Nope.

It's uneccessary, it will only cause problems, and you don't like it. Your feelings matter. End of story. I would put my foot down about this.

ProbablyAlreadyInsane's picture

Ex is NEVER allowed in the house. Life isn't about what the ex wants and asks for. It's not doing damage to the kids to deny them access. In fact it's actually teaching them about boundaries.

No go on coming in the home. There's NO REASON why that would ever be okay. 

It's not about jealousy. It's about maintaining the sanctity of the home. And to do that. The exes need to stay away.

ESMOD's picture

Unless there are some kind of extenuating circumstances, a parent should visit with their child in their own homes or outside their EX's home.  Again, extreme situations like a very ill or imobile child.. might mean accomodations.. or if there are joint parties that are being held at one parent's home or the other. 

Otherwise, I don't see why a person would want their EX spouse in their new home... THAT seems to be the weird thing and out of the ordinary... not that the new SO is uncomfortable with it. 

Now, OP is apparently not residing in the guy's home... so at a basic level, she doesn't have the right to have a say over who he has in his home.  However, if she has made it clear to him that she is uncomfortable with his EX having access to the home where she spends a lot of time and might have possessions there/have possessions at the home... and his first instinct is to PRESERVE his Ex's ability to be in the home.. and justify it... and accuse OP of negative thoughts.. well then.. this is NOT the guy for OP.  Her feelings are being pushed aside and she can expect that this type of thing will go on in the future and won't improve if/when they would be cohabitating.

momjeans's picture

Boundaries, boundaries, boundaries. 

This would be a big ‘ol NOPE from me. 

Out of respect to my spouse, my ex isn’t welcome inside our home, and my ex and I are on okay terms. 

StepUltimate's picture

For me, it was NEVER. Not only NEVER, but SS had to leave his house key whenever he visited BM (who never let him have a key to her house). So when BM's latest victim I mean husband bought a house a couple of years ago, the other half of our duplex was for sale, and BM made a point if having their agent show it. While I was home. SS was with and stopped in to say hi to me (useful minion agent). Pissed me off but I didn't even raise an eyebrow, outwardly.

No time in my life or space in my home for these game-playing, no-boundary-having, territory-marking b*tches. None.

That said, if DH's ex was actually a decent human being (hint: I wouldn't have sought this site if that were the case), it might he a whole different ballgame. My co-worker has a super-healthy relationship with her exH & his wife, and I am jealous of that on all of our behalves!

Gucci's picture

I tend to lean a little towards dramatics, but I would probably burn my own house down just to prove the point that she's not welcome any near it. 

mathfed's picture

From a man's perspective, my ex is not allowed to shadow our doorstep.  She showed up in the driveway unannounced, one time.  I met her in the driveway and chewed her ass, telling her is was completely unacceptable that she just show up at our house and it better not happen again.  I won't disrespect my wife by giving my ex a presence in our lives.  She's a vindictive, angry woman who takes hers before anyone else gets theirs.  I have nothing to do with her, and won't put my sweet wife in her firing line.

Gucci's picture

AMAZING! This site wouldn't have the angry, walked on, treated like second best wives (myself included) if all men took your approach to their ex wives!!! 

StepUltimate's picture

Are you for real? Thank you- that is a great response.

My DH didn't understand my insistence on BM not even at our sidewalk - but when SS told us she was complaining & threatening to drive by our house every day as an Eff-You, I secretly knew I'd gotten to her and lived inside her head, rent-free. If lazy, broke-ass BM wants to drive to my side of town out of spite, LMAO. Fortunately for me, BM is allll talk (unlike some of your respective BM's), no action. 

Siemprematahari's picture

To answer your question......

H@LL NO!!!

No explanations required, no need for understanding, it's just a H@LL NO! The fact that someone would even think this is ok is mind boggling to me.

CLove's picture

She USED to be ok, and we used to go into each others homes, but after all of her toxic behavior and the time she charged into our home in the morning while we were sleeping and then cursed at us, nope not allowed.

And after this latest incident with Toxic Eldest telling her father what a horrible person I am and how she hates me, the first thing I am going to do when I buy the house is change the locks.

Major Blunder's picture

This is a problem I don't have in Steplife, BD lives several states away so he rarely is ever here and when he does come for a visit it feels more like a cousin or other family member visiting, plus he brings his SO with him and they are both there visiting with the Skids and Gskids.  Plus he is pretty harmless, kind of big dumb dog, not really effective in any manner he's just there.

sunshinex's picture

I might be alone here but if ex isn’t high conflict I really don’t see the issue. I would allow any of SDs family into my home because it’s her home as well, why shouldn’t she have visitors too?

I treat it similarly to all visitors though. They must give warning, they must knock, and they don’t snoop lol I’ve never had a problem with it. 

Bm lives 5 hours away but whenever they come for pickup or drop-off, I invite them in (bm and her mom) for coffee. It’s good for SD to see us getting along. 

I’d invite SDs family on BMs side into our home if we lived closer, too. BMs dad and stepmom have been lovely to me. 

Pregnantwithquestions's picture

I see your point here, too-- our BM is not high conflict. We just all live in the same city so there's no travel involved and no need to be in each others home. If it was a situation of a long drive and someone needing a bathroom break or just having coffee, I think we'd be able to swing that pretty smoothly without too much craziness

elkclan's picture

the BM in my life IS high conflict. But when I have driven her kids on my own the 2.5 hours back to hers because my SO has been ill or had to work (this has happened 2x in a year) she has offered me use of bathroom or a drink. When I have been with SO things have sometimes been ok and sometimes been not ok. She has very unpredictable behaviour - sometimes she can be really nice. And sometimes she can be outrageously awful. You just don't know which BM you'll get. I would defo let her in my house for same. But I would be prepared to kick her out again. 

Rags's picture

An X is an X for a reason.  An X has no business in the lives of those in a subsequent relationship,  including their own children when those children are with the other parent and the new family. 

Interestingly my XW had a master plan for us to date after we divorced.  "When you are in town we can date and can even sleep together ... if you use a condom."  No shit.  She really said this.

My response was that I had been married to her so what on Earth made her thing I would want to date her much less sleep with her.  She was all butt hurt.

Diablo

That is one of my earlier manifestations of reconnecting with the Rags I enjoy being.

Even if there are kids involved the inviolability of the new marriage in regards to the presence of an X is just that. Inviolate.  Kids do not get a say regarding the new marriage or mommy' or daddy's (the X's) visiting the home.

This crap needs to be met with absolute clarity immediately. "No! I know you love  your other parent but your other parent has their own home and you have a family there with them.  You have a family here as well.  The other parent is not part of this family. You are."

Lather, rinse, repeat.

This isn't about your spouse being tempted to cheat with the X, this is about the invioalte nature of  your marriage, home and family. That this is confusing to your SO is disturbing.

Pilltock's picture

Thank goodness it's not just me then! My SO decided, in his wisdom, to take BM in to our house as the skids wanted it, WHEN I WAS WORKING. He never asked me, she was all through our home as the skids wanted to show them their bedrooms, the kitchen, everywhere really.. 

I felt extremely upset, violated and that my 'safe place' had been ruined. SO didn't understand and got angry at me for 'making a fuss over nothing'. Oh to actually have someone think about us for once eh? Sad

MattAC's picture

I totally understand. That happened to me too then I was the bad guy for being mad that they invited someone that I truly despise to roam around my home and inspect the conditions provided for his little flower that he has never payed a dime to support and cant even come around more than once a month to see because of drinking problems and chasing the next scam. I was angry for a little bit and that was the problem, not the disrespect or thoughtlessness towards me. 

Flowerlily94's picture

If everyone is getting along and you and her have a mutually friendly relationship then ONLY if you are around. She should not be in the house if you are not there period. 

shamds's picture

it would never happen even if hubbys 2 girls who are under custody/controlled by their mum begged or told hubby mum wants to visit our home. Thats our private personal space, she is not a family member, this isn’t her home, she doesn’t reside here or ever will, she’s a psycho screw loose manipulative narcissistic biatch who spread lies about me (never met me) and has been on a vindictive rampage to cause chaos and destroy hubbies life because the harsh reality set in that she has always been a shit wife, shit mother, couldn’t take care of hubby while they were married or their kids so when hubby divorced her arse, she had to get even at the detriment of her kids, they’re just her pawns and they’re too blind to see it...

her coming to your home is telling and showing you she is boss still and can dictate things and control you. Show her who the real boss is and that you can’t be controlled by her

Dogmom1321's picture

This EX wants to still have control over your DH and feel she has a say in your relationship. She is trying to make you be the bad guy. Who cares if the SKs ask for it. DH needs to explain that they are no longer together and what that entails. They have two different houses. two different families, two different celebrations for holidays/birthdays/etc. Why does your DH feel the need to discount your feelings and focus on his relationship with BM instead of you? He should be focusing on how he can help facilitate his CURRENT wife's relationship with his children. YOU GUYS are a family now, not them. If he wants to continue to play "happy family" with her, then I would leave. Totally inappropriate. 

relationshipguru's picture

This is one of the reasons my previous relationship ended, amongst other things. There were no boundaries with the ex. The ex did not respect me nor our relationship whatsoever and my SO allowed this. As princess Di once said "There were three of us and the marriage felt crowded." I honestly didn't care if the ex was in the house but what bothered me was that the ex was at our house when I was not there and unbeknownst to me and I was not involved in any decision making whatsoever regarding that (or anything else for that matter.)