You are here

SD10 obsessed with cuddling with daddy

NoNameThx's picture

I am at my wits end.

You guys may disagree with me. But I find it highly inappropriate and immature and weird for a 10 year old girl to be obsessed with "cuddling with daddy". She always has to be all over him. Out in public, they hold hands. Last night I caught her on his lap, stroking his cheek and he had his eyes closed smiling--CREEEEPY. Or at least to me. That is NOT normal.

She TALKS about cuddling. She just came in from softball practice and is in shower. She said, "daddy, I PROMISE I will take my shower real quick so we can cuddle, okay? I can't WAIT to cuddle!" WTH. That is not freaking normal behavior for a 10 year old!!

Aren't most 10 year olds in that stage where they are fighting to be seen as big kids and are embarrased by that kind of stuff? I mean when I was 10 I would have been MORTIFIED if my dad had tried to cuddle with me or hold my hand out at the grocery store! And back then if I was doing that and my friends saw, they would have teased me!

I mean hugs are one thing. But I think this is NOT normal for a 10 year old to be all over daddy and be even talking about how she can't wait to cuddle.

I mean they cuddle more than he and I do! It creeps me the heck out. I think it is weird.

ownedbypedro's picture

Good grief. Yes, it's strange. Maybe she is doing it to bug you or keep him away from you. That's why my step SON was a "compulsive daddy cuddler" from ages 14 to 16 and that, my friend was just PUKE SICK!!

Dh said to me once "I think ss may be gay." Had I had my head on straight, I would have replied "no, ss is a little FREAK who wants his daddy all to himself, to completely eliminate my physical proximity to you and it's obviously working for him."

NoNameThx's picture

NO, and the one time I tried to gently mention to him that I thought she was too old for all this he blew up at me. Told me "well at least I show her affection! You give her hugs a few times a day and that's it!" I mean WHAT THE HECK. That's because at her age, hugs are to me the only appropriate affection! He sees his relationship with her as healthy and totally normal!

My own family is grossed out by it, too. Last time we went to visit my parents and they were all over each other the whole time. She was in his lap, or holding his hand, or whatever. Later my mom texted me and said, "gosh that is weird, the way they are all over each other." I mean he is in denial.

I'm totally sick of this and very grossed out by her behavior.

ownedbypedro's picture

YUCK. I wish I knew what to say. He should be wanting to cuddle with his WIFE, not his ten year old. Been there, done that - like I said - with then teenage ss - sick, sick, SICK.

dispiritedstepmom2011's picture

exsd14 used to do this as well, up to the age of 10 though. then she stopped. i dont even remember the last time she gave him a hug before i left.

she was also obsessed with tickling him. this stopped by age 8, and i get that little kids sometimes like to tickle real quick but the way she did it was weird. she would lock her legs around his leg and tickle his foot, and would refuse to stop. exbf was a little too ticklish, and she capitalized on that, but i think what freaked me out was that he would be demanding her to stop and she wouldnt until he was practically crying...and yeah, he wasnt able to get her off him either.

she was always crawling all over him, but like i said, it all stopped at age ten. and it was infact to get me jealous or whatever. ur sd seems to be doing this to get a rise out of u as well. and ur dh is probably just happy to get the attention from her, as many bm's like to PAS these kids alot.

Pook's picture

Remind him that all it takes is for one person to be skeeved out by this inappropriate physical contact and report him to Child Services.

NoNameThx's picture

But see I have TRIED telling him that she is starting to hit puberty, making this really inappropriate. He was totally unmoved. I TRIED telling him that she was too old. Did not work. BTW, SD10 just went to bed CRYING because she didn't get her hair dry quick enough for there to be cuddle time with daddy because it's her bedtime. She is CRYING HER EYES OUT because she didn't get to "cuddle with daddy before bed". Seriously? At 10 I was fighting to be seen as mature, and she's crying that she couldn't cuddle with daddy?

I'm so sick of this.

Lynn79's picture

OMG! I AM GOING THROUGH THIS TOO!! I AM STEP MOM TO A 6 AND 10 YEAR OLD. I CHALKED IT UP TO MYSELF COMING FROM A NON ``TOUCHY FEELY`FAMILY......BECAUSE THE 3 OF THEM WERE WAY TOO CLOSE FOR COMFORT FOR ME. THEY TICKLE AND SCRATCH EACH OTHERS BACKS ALL THE TIME. I HAVE MADE IT CLEAR TO HIM ITS UNCOMFORTABLE AND WEIRD FOR ME. HE KINDA GETS IT....BUT HE CAME FROM A FAMILY WHO DID IT TOO. IT SHOWS AFFECTION FOR THEM...LET ME GUESS....YOU`RE LIKE ME..DONT HAVE YOUR OWN KIDS AND COMING INTO THIS...

ta5's picture

Me three my new husband does this with his daughters 11 and 22! Gross kissing on the mouth even the 22 yr old took at fb pix of them kissing lips and then grossly said oh it looks like were making out..and she laughed I wanted to puck and run. Then she said dad I miss your massages and tickles. Sick. When I massage him and tickle him he gets an errection. Hello ..I agree not appropriate and dads fault. When I say something.. I am called jealous! Wht can we do. I am a mom of three my kids don't do this with me or my ex and I puck thinking abt ever doing that to my dad. A peck of the cheek is all. My grandmother td me never on the lips dear that is where I kiss grandpa only. She is right. Its cheating and insest

INgeborg Hirsch's picture

Really sad. Your husband is being unfair to his daughter. The daughter will be devastated, when daddy decides to move on with his life. This is exactly what happened to a neighbor friend; The daddy drove all around town with the top of his convertible down, and his 10 year old daughter sitting next to him. I never saw the father with his wife. Always with his daughter. The daughter and father walked in step together wrapped around each other. Then the father left his wife and daughter behind, and ran off with another woman. The daughter who was about seventeen cried her eyes out for a whole year.

Children need to have their personal space respected. Sick what your husband is doing to his daughter. He is emotionally stunting her mental growth. The unhealthy relationship he has with his daughter is harming him, her, and everyone around the two of them.

oncechoosetosmile's picture

Ingeborg, yes, I agree here.In this extreme case it really backfired, but also in many less extreme cases it not healthy, wow.

Without your DHs help nothing will change.
IMO this girl believes she has adult status, she acts like a mini wife.Of course all kids (even teenagers) need sometimes cuddles and hugs, but what you describe sounds really extreme!It sounds as if she acts territorial and wants to make sure she is the one who has her hands on daddy , not you.He seems feel flattered by the attention and plainly overlooks the fact that it is out of balance!
When you say something he gets all defensive and tells you off- also very typical-because he sees your status significantly lower than his daughters.
My So was the same until he came to his senses - it was a process though and took a long time to see some changes.I think deep down he knew he would loose me if he would have kept on treating SD book "stepmonster".
I told him that I felt that there is virtually no emotional (or physical) space for me available when SD is around and that I am not prepared to compete with a child who thinks she is an adult.

MarriedaBallessWonder's picture

She said what I was gunna say, but I was also going to add....

PUKE!!!!! :sick:

WTHDISUF's picture

Good gosh. 10? I get creeped out and sick of SS8 trying to sit under and squish between his Dad and I; it's for attention and not affection. He just wants to be center of attention all the time and for a boy who is few months shy of 9, that's weird to me. I don't know any little boys past 5 or 6 who want to cuddle with Dad or even sit under them. Then when I call them BOTH out on it, because I do flat out tell SS8, DH pretends to agree and tries to push him back some. (He's starting to push him back on his own accord now which is good). Then SS8 pretends he wasn't trying to cuddle. Freaking stupid.

What you just described though--that's damn strange! And people are talking and yet he is still blind so it's not even like it's just you! He could be looked at really funny if this child with near boobs and cycle is sitting up on his lap in a restaurant. What other child-like behaviors does she exhibits? If she does not show any other signs of extreme immaturity then you likely do have some kind of serious "competition or inappropriate sexual feelings for her Dad" situation. Does he have any male friends who are Dads who can maybe put a "man to man" bug in his ear that it's creepy behavior that could be perceived the wrong way?

I do know that many innocent Fathers are afraid to show affection to their daughters because of societies perceptions so there's no suggestion that HE thinks anything 'freaky' BUT he should not let her be like a woman to him, rubbing on him. It's not normal for a kid to cry when she can't monopolize him physically. There's other appropriate ways to show affection that's NOT creepy. A quick hug. A walk with an ice cream cone. A little secret handshake and wink that's between them. Those are cutesy age appropriate ways to bond without all of the physical contact.

Heck even a FEW hugs per DAY is an odd thing for a 10yr old girl. I think maybe your last resort is to let her pediatrician tell your DH about child mental and emotional development. Maybe then he'll look at it like "this is actually not good for her" vs "you just don't want them to be affectionate". Good luck!

RedWingsFan's picture

My SD14 was like this in the beginning when I first met them. At age 12 she was holding hands with daddddddy fingers interlaced, EVERYWHERE. Sitting on his lap at the DINNER table in restaurants and at home. Spooning with him on the floor watching movies. Cuddling constantly and behaving much as your 10 yr old is now at age 12. She always had to be touching him or near him, no matter if we were out or just relaxing at home. Actually followed him to the BATHROOM, sat outside the bathroom door while he was in there and waited for him to come out, only to grab his hand into hers and walk back out. DISGUSTING!

After she called a "family mtg" with him and BM and her to discuss how uncomfortable it was for DH and I to kiss or hold hands in front of her and he agreed to cut down on our PDA in front of her, I threatened to leave. It was 6 mos into our relationship and things had become serious and we'd talked about moving in together when his lease expired. I told him there's NO way in Hell I was competing with his "mini-wife" of a daughter and good luck to him to find another woman worth her salt that would put up with the b.s.

He immediately went back to BM's home and had another meeting. This time telling them that they would no longer control his life or our relationship and that SD was far too old to be cuddling, holding hands, etc with him.

Until your DH sees something wrong with his very inappropriate displays with her, things won't change. I had to point it out to my DH on several occasions and asked him "how uncomfortable would you feel if you saw another man cuddling with a young girl like you do with SD?" He said he'd be creeped out. So, the light bulb finally went off and he agreed that she's much too old to treat like a baby.

Sad thing is, once he started pulling away physically, she started seeking it from boys and at age 13, ended up having sex with her boyfriend at her momma's house. She actually BLAMED DH for it. Yeah, said since he wouldn't allow her to have spring break at her mom's, she and the boyfriend decided to have sex since they wouldn't see each other that week, alllllll because of dadddddddy saying no! It was "our" week with her!

Gaahhhh - you're in for a long road here if your DH is so adamant that his behavior with her is not crossing a line. I wish you nothing but luck with that. I had to actually threaten to leave the relationship for things to change, but he's stuck with it - put our marriage first and now we're extremely happy and SD14 is still an attention whore!

Anon2009's picture

I don't and will never understand how he didn't see what he was doing was incestuous and creepy. Even if he didn't mean for it to be. He stunted SDs emotional growth.

You say sd knows right from wrong. Maybe she does. But she sure doesn't have any confidence, or emotional maturity for someone her age. She needs both those things in order to overcome this. She may have "hurt" dh but I guarantee you he hurt her ten times worse with his atrocious parenting. Did anyone really expect this kid to adjust happily, normally and healthily to the changes dh made in this situation? To expect this kid to immediately snap out of it, act normal and healthy is a bit unrealistic.

I don't think you or dh are bad people. It certainly doesn't surprise me, though, that a kid who's been so poorly parented reacted/reacts the way she does to this situation. She doesn't have the confidence or emotional maturity she needs to change herself.

phoenix410's picture

Up until about 8 months ago, when SS11 was ten, she was still coming in to DH's room (this is before we were married) and sleeping in his bed with him. Alone. Sometimes both she and SD12 were there. But the younger one is the worst. I've finally broken them of each other. I had to straight up tell him, nicely, that her behavior is completely inappropriate for her age. Sleeping in his bed? Not okay after like age six. She would lay down with him on the couch completely wrapped around him and fall asleep. Then he would get all pissed at me when I was too creeped out to also be on the couch - yes, he wanted me to just jump in and join them! Gag. I once saw SD13 when she was 11, sitting between his knees while he was on a chair, and had her arms draped around his legs. I almost threw up a little in my mouth.

Luckily, he was receptive and put the kibosh on their weirdness. He won't even let them sit between us at any time whatsoever.

Good luck with this.. I would say that if he doesn't listen to what you have to say, completely disengage while he and the child are acting all weird, and probably the more you do it, the more he may realize they're having this inappropriate behavior.

It could also be her insecurity from her parent's breakup (okay, sort of understandable) and being all extra clingy and needing attention. I understand that. But HOW they show that or want it shown to them makes a big difference. Now SD11 is a nosy, busybody tattletale who calls DH every five minutes asking when he's going to be home.

INgeborg Hirsch's picture

Better leave now. Nothing will change. At the beginning of the year I disengaged from daugher 32 yo of SO. At the end of the year, I realized step daughter is victim of daddy's weak parenting. Generally weak parents make weak boyfriends and weak husbands. Now I realize I must slowly disengage from SO due to his unhealthy relationship with daughter 32 yo. He said to me, nothing is wrong with grown up married daughter using her key to let herself in his house to take baths in his master bath, and hang her robe in his master closet. Yuck how preverse.

RedWingsFan's picture

My SD did this to me at first too. DH said she was just trying to bond with me. At age 12! Sorry but I don't need that type of bonding with her! My own daughter and I don't behave that way (and we're an extremely affectionate family, we just respect boundaries!!).

SD drove me crazy with that constant need for physical, verbal and emotional attention. I'm so glad I don't have to deal with her anymore. She lives full-time with her mom now and ignores DH's attempts to contact her. He finally told her last month "This will be the last time I text or call you. You know where I live, you know my number and you know I love you. It's in your hands now"...he's done begging her to come around!

Smomof3's picture

My husband is very affectionate with all his kids...ss22, sd15 and ss13. However my SD did push her boundaries when we first got together, but she was 6. His kids will lay by him on the couch, his daughter will sit on his lap and hug him or they'll both sit in a big oversized recliner together...but they never "CUDDLE"?

That kid is weird.

dani_merc's picture

totally know how you feel! my step kids 8girl and 9boy always holding DADDYS hand trying to get into bed with us! EWWW GO AWAY YOU DUMB KIDS

NoNameThx's picture

Jeez second night in a row with this crap. I guess I'm evil, but see hubby went out shopping and I had her take her shower slightly later than usual so that by the time she showered and dried her hair I knew there'd be no time for "snuggles". Sure enough, she gets done and looks at the clock and tears up and says, "oh MANNNN, now I don't have time to cuddle with you guys! It has been almost a week!" I wanted to say, "well good, you need to grow up and act your freaking age and stop pawing on my husband!"

RedWingsFan's picture

You need to put your foot down NOW before she turns into something like my SD14...seriously!

RedWingsFan's picture

I know right? She wasn't stopped at an appropriate age and once DH did finally say enough, she turned to boys and she'll likely be pregnant before she's old enough to drive!

unbelieveable's picture

Ew...

as I am reading this I am watching a movie on LMN where a dad is sleeping with his daughter. It's disgusting. I keep having to change the channel.

We have this issue too. Sd10 thinks she is a mini wife. We seem to have gone back to him discussing things with her first...just had a heated argument over it the other day.

He has started to undermine me in front of her AGAIN everytime I correct her. (he knows she is having problems at home so apparently this is going to help her?)

She is cuddling AGAIN. On the lap...NO NO NO! I already told him I won't deal with this shit again...it's DISGUSTING and she is way to old to be hanging on him like he's more than her dad.

Now I didn't come from a touchy feely family but - I still hug and kiss my dad (on the cheek) when I see him and every now and then I'll hold onto his arm...not usually. I am a daddy's girl but NEVER have I EVER EVER done anything this little girl is doing. It's DISGUSTING. We are back to, "Yes daddy!" Thank you Daddy! DDDAADDDDD!!! when I am standing in the same room as her and clearly I can handle whatever she needs...when he calls and she says Hi - he is back to "Hi baby!" EWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW!!!!!!!!!!!! hun is acceptable. HER NAME WOULD BE BETTER. but DO NOT CALL YOUR LITTLE GIRL THE SAME PET NAMES YOU CALL ME!

RedWingsFan's picture

Oh I had the same issue with DH at first about the pet names. He would ask SD14 to do something for him (like get a glass of water or take the trash downstairs) and then say "Thanks Love". Yeah, then he tried to say the same to me. I told him pet names aren't to be interchanged between what he uses for his CHILD and his GIRLFRIEND (now wife).

He got it after a while of reminding him gently when he'd slip and call her "love" because that was MY name from him. He started calling her "babygirl" which is fine, cuz I occasionally called my own daughter that. After she started acting out and then decided to leave us completely, he no longer calls her any pet names, it's just "Z"...

I had also the sasme issue here and it creeped me out- he called her "Baby" or "Babe" all the time and then he thought he can call me the same and it would be ok, but it wasn't .It took me a while to be brave , but in the end I couldn't bare it any longer and I spoke out.He took it the right way and changed it- very seldom it still slips out of his mouth though, but I know he works on it, i am ok.
Now he calls her "sweetness" all the time, which I don't really get..., but , hey , better than Babe.

New second wife-step-mom's picture

2 questions.

1)Is the cuddling ALWAYS done in a common room?

2)Is there a blanket or throw of some sort over one or both of them while they are doing all of this cuddling?

If you can answer both of these questions honestly and you feel like no abuse is going on then your DH needs to get his head together and stop this.

Plain and Simple.

Unfreakingreal's picture

My SD12 does this type of stuff. It's a little weird to me sometimes, when she overdoes it.
However, I will say that there have been times where I have cuddled my 14 y/o son. If I try to wake him for school and he won't wake up I'll lay down next to him and hug him while he sleeps. I'll rub his arm gently so he wakes up. He is my youngest and I am very affectionate with him. It's sweet that he lets me, teens tend to be grossed out by parental affection. So if I am to be completely honest, I can understand that SD12 is really just being affectionate with her dad. Sometimes I feel she overdoes it and that she is being territorial with her mini-wife complex. She holds hands with him, she lays her head on his chest. I try not to be too bothered by it because I do get that she only sees him twice a month and she must miss him. I guess it all depends on HOW much she does it.

RedWingsFan's picture

I get that. My daughter is 14 and isn't into the touchy-feely stuff but every now and then she'll hug me tight or throw her legs onto mine on the couch and let me play with her toes. She has funky toes (hard to describe here) so she's very self conscience of them but every now and then, she'll let me touch them. I only see her during summers and holidays, so I really do love whenever she lets me even just sit next to her.

With SD14, it was excessive and it was definitely territorial/jealousy fueled. She was marking daddy as hers and couldn't be away from him for 2 seconds. Was always all over him. And it wasn't because she didn't get to see him often. She saw him EVERY OTHER DAY!! We didn't go to every other week until we moved in together, 6 miles away from her mother, so it was just inconvenient at that point to pick her up every other day.

She had a HUGE mini-wife complex. It was utterly disgusting.

In your case, I get it. She's definitely overdoing it, but at least it's twice a month, not every other damn day!!!!!!!!!

ctnmom's picture

Nothing more to add, other than this whole post makes me want to scrub myself with a stiff brush! :sick: :sick: :sick: :sick: :sick:

jojo68's picture

My SD12 is way to overly affectionate with her father but it seems to have gotten better...except out in public where she still insists on holding his hand everywhere they go so that she can parade her dominance over the situation is what I believe. I also noticed when she is asking DH for money or to take her somewhere, she uses affection to get what she wants...wow just wow is all I have to say. Nothing shocks me or suprises me anymore...I guess that is part of disengaging.

whatwasithinkin's picture

any fool if they look at statistics will tell you that daughters with out full time male figures tend to be friendlier when men looking for a father figure. because the courts are complete unfair to men and give them the shit end of the stick when it comes to visitation its an epidemic. nobody said her actions were pure i believe the meaning of the post was about the inappropriate nature of it.

sd17 was never like that. sd14 has always been. sd17 sees daddy as her boosum buddy best friend. sd14 sees her daddy as daddy and not given nearly enough attention from him. he wasnt allowed sd17 would get mad. therefore sd14nover compensates.

chokinonlemons2u's picture

I don't even think Jackoo is real.

MamaC, you do know much of America believes Micheal liked to fuck kids, right??? Sure the music was great but.....

I think he is not real, guys.Just another troll!!!Makes me feel like vomit what he/she/it writes !

Anon2009's picture

I honestly do not see how these guys don't get that they're really screwing their kids up. I don't get how they don't see that.

This poor kid is going to have a horrible time of it when she's removed from that pedestal and nobody is to blame for how she reacts and the entire situation but the people who put her there. Don't expect this kid to have the maturity of other kids her age or act like other kids her age. She will not. She will have no confidence in herself. She'll have no friends. She may "hurt" dh by removing him from her life. The "hurt" she'll cause him will pale in comparison to the hurt and long term damage he's caused her.

These guilty parents aren't evil people, but they'll reap what they sow. And they deserve to. It's just sad that the kids have to suffer because of pi$$ poor parenting.

LittlePanda's picture

There is a way you treat your kid and a way you treat your wife/girlfriend. The 2 are nothing alike. I think men who have no spouse in their life project onto female children and those children are, effectively, the 'woman' of the house. These dads may not mean to treat their daughters that way, but it does happen. In a normal house with 2 parents, you do not catch daddy and daughter acting like husband and wife. Yes, dad and daughter can kiss, hug, sit together..but they do not act the way we see described on this site. There is something wrong there. There is a big difference between Mom, Dad and daughter dynamic and Dad, Daughter and step mom dynamic sometimes. Especially in the beginning of the relationship.

christinen's picture

I completely agree with you that it is weird and inappropriate. My SD is 5 and she is the same way but my DH will stop it if things start to get weird so I am thankful for that. I wonder why your DH is allowing this to go on? I think hugs are the only type of physical affection a 10 year old girl should be getting from her father (or anyone else, for that matter).

Ms. Warren 73's picture

My SD13 is this ay with her dad...we have full custody and she only sees her mom once a month.SD craves attention. Wanting to tickle/wrestle with her dad. A few times trying to give each other "titty twisters". I said NOT OK. yet they've done it a time or two after that so i had to repeat NOT OK. SD wants to cuddle, sit in chair with dad and i said over a year ago its not ok any more,  yet i came home the other day and there they were. 

I can't even stand hugging her because shed beg for a hug then say she was suffocated by my boobs! She openly discusses how her friends and she talk about sexual things yet she doesn't seem to get how gross she acts towards adults,  her dad especially.  Scary thing is i think its her initiating the inappropriate contact but he won't put a stop to it...I'm about to say "peace out!"

Ive had a friend and family members abused or treated inappropriately and it just makes my skin crawl seeing this in my own home.

Thisisnotus's picture

I deal with this with SD12 and it seems to be getting worse. The last two nights she has sat on DHs lap for almost 2 hours watching TV. She is always climbing all over him if she isn’t sitting still in his lap. If he gets up to use the bathroom she follows him and stands outside the door.....if I ever speak to DH she interrupts. I can tell he is totally annoyed but won’t do anything about it.

we have a large house with many other kids around and SD is glued to DH. If we go somewhere she won’t join the other kids she is holding DHs hand.