You are here

Sd and bra shopping

stepmominhiding's picture

So sd13 says that she needs new bras at our house, so i took her bra shopping.  I ask if her bras are getting too tight around the body or the cups. She says both.  So i grab 34B, well she says it fits great.  Well when she brings me in to see (with her clothes on) to make sure she's not popping out anywhere on the sides, back or boobs.  I can see that it's still popping out on the sides so we go up to 36, still, even at the last loop, she's popping out,  i go to a 38, it's still popping out,  but now the cups are too big.  This girl needs needs a 40A, but i don't know where to get one that size. But worst of all, she feels bad.  I may not le something my sacred morning quiet time with her.  But i never want a young girl to feel like she's so big nobody makes bras that fit her.  I asked her whe her mom takes her to get bras that fit,  she did they don't fit at her mom's house too, so it's not just our house. 

AshMar654's picture

I was a chesty girl at that age. Are you sure she needs a 40A. If she was popping out the sides of the cups that means the cups are too small, not the band. Did you try going up a cup. I was a 36 C at that age and growing into a d by the time I was 15. Take her to go get measured.

What size shirt does she wear? Is she heavy at all?

She's not popping out of the cup,  she's popping out over her back area kud the band.  She's not a chesty girl,  if she didn't wear a bra you wouldn't even think she needed one.  But with her going into PE she likes to wear one so when she dresses out she doesn't show her boobs (i get that, i was pretty modest at her age. 

She is a big girl, she wears a size XL in womens just so that it fits around her waist.  But it is usually loose around the bust area

AshMar654's picture

I get modest. I wore one in 6th grade, I did not need to but did.

XL in women's? I would still take her to get measured just to be sure you are getting the right size. Not going to lie when you are in a not so common size, I have been for years now, you have to go to a department store in the women's section or to an actual bra store to find what she needs. No you will not find it at target, walmart, or in the preteen section. I am a 34 DDD. I am not skinny just a small rib cage area. I can not find bras easy and usually have to spend a lot of money.

I really do not want to be rude or mean here so please do not take offense. Has anyone thought of possibly getting her to try to lose a few pounds? It will be hard to keep finding things that will fit her in that area.

I realize that she needs to lose weight.  Dh and BM are in denile about it though.  So not much i can do about it.  I only keep healthy foods in the house, and cook fresh light weight foods. Bm cooks alfredo a few times a week,  hamburgers, once a week,  fried chicken or shrimp with fries ove a week, and they get take out the rest. they all sit around the tv to eat(according to sd).  They eat chips every day for snacks. But she's also a binge eater. Bm either made/ bought a cake for sd's brother.  Sd ate it all after she got home from school before anyone got there. So her brother never even got a peice of cake for his birthday. She steals candy from school fundraisers,  and steals money from her mother to pay back for what she's stolen. 

AshMar654's picture

Oh wow. I feel really sorry for your SD. Food will continue to be a struggle for the rest of her life. It breaks my heart when parents let kids eat like that or feed them too much processed and fried food. My mom was never really taught healthy eating habits and has struggled her whole life. She did better with me and my brother kinda. I struggled with eating not well. I have the sever stomach problems to prove it too. Only reason I do not weigh like 500lbs is because my mom at least made sure we were always active and busy.

IDK maybe when she is there you can take her for walks. I feel for ya.

But yes i can go get her measured, i never thought of that for a young girl. 

nengooseus's picture

Did you consider getting her a sports bra?  They tend to be a littl emore comfortable and easier to fit than standard bras.  My DD and SD both prefer them.

Aniki-Moderator's picture

Try sports bras.

If it's a matter of her needing to lose weight, you can buy a smaller bra and get some bra extenders. You can find them on Amazon.

soy_girl's picture

if you decide she needs a 40A, jcpenneys carries them. They have a brand called Ambrielle that has a lot of size options...and they are frequently on sale. 

I'll have to make another trip out to the mall this weekend and we'll look at some.  I have ordered some from amazon street getting her sized. I might just wait and see how these fit her as i got her 6 pair 3 of one size and 3 of the other.  

notsurehowtodeal's picture

Check and see if you have any lingerie or "bra" stores in your area. They will be able to fit her correctly and will have a large selection of sizes. Some department stores will do fittings, but not all the clerks have the training like they did in the past.

You might also try Yellowberry - my sister has shopped there for my niece. It is an online store that was started by a 17 year old because she didn't like what she found in the stores when shopping with her younger sister. It is aimed at tweens and teens. They have very specific sizing guidelines for all their different styles. https://www.yellowberrycompany.com/

I loved the yellow berry site! That is a really cute store!  We did look at it, she didn't really like it, they were mostly sports bra looking, and apparently "nobody" wears those.  I honestly think she wants the more lingere looking bras with lace and that shows cleavage (not that she has any).

simifan's picture

Amazon is also a good place to get odd bra sizes. Though I would also recommend sports bras, they will be the most comfortable. Victoria secrets will do free fittings. 

Dup i went to get her sized at a specialty bra salon.  They said that she's actually a 40 A.5? I've never heard of .5 in cup sizes? Maybe it's just their way of selling THEIR bras.  I looked all day on amazon for any in that specific size.  I didn't see any.  I ordered a few that were 40 A and a few 40 B (figuring at some point she'll wear the B if it's too big now). 

I mentioned wearing a more comfortable bra. Like a sleeping bra or sports bra.  She began crying.  She wanted a "real bra" all the girls are going to be wearing "real bras" and she's going to be stuck wearing a stupid sports bra. I tried showing her that the were some really nice ones, i even tried showing her that victoria secret has some really nice ones.  She still refused. At least i ordered some in her size, but OMG this girl! 

Cover1W's picture

BRA's are a PAIN.  LOL. 

I would have killed for the new comfy bras they have out now for pre-teens and smaller adults.  Those old scratchy ones were awful.  I'm currently trying to get SD12 into ANY kind of a bra.  She's starting to need it and hates wearing anything at all I think.  I'm ordering her new training bras in a size up.  And when we go on vacation in a week or so, as I've told DH before, she will be required to wear one when out in public.  She's just staring to 'bounce' too much at this point.  Someone here told me to tell her if she DOESN'T want to call attention to her chest she needs to wear one otherwise everyone will be looking if she goes bare.  LOL  True!

Ispofacto's picture

I almost exclusively wear cotton sports bras now because they are so comfortable.  Think of them as mini camis.  Walmart has them 3 for $10.  Only the band matters, the cup is flexible.

I wish she would agree to wear them! She won't! She REFUSES, calling them "not really a bra", or they are "sooooooo ugly".

The bras i ended up ordering off of amazon worked! Im so glad! I got her 3 in size A and 3 in size B, I'm going ti save the size Bs for when she gets a little bigger.  I feel bad for her needing such an off size,  she honestly felt so horrible shopping and not fighting anything in the store.  But now she feels and looks sp much better in a good fitting bra. You could see where the bra was squeezing on her back but by the time the band fit her around,  thre wasn't enough boob to fill up any cups that were offered for that band size. I know she's going to develop more soon,  her mom has bigger breasts. I think that she's just going to start developments later. 

Rags's picture

My wife struggles with getting the right size bras.  Since her 100+ pound weight loss she is a 34-F or so.  She was in plus size clothing and is now in the 6-8 size range though some designers she is in a 10.

All of her very expensive larger bras have been given to her extended family.  They call regularly to ask if she has any more she wants to give away.

She quit shopping at Victorias Secret years ago when she found that Nordstrums has trained fitters.  Since then she goes to local specialty bra shops that also have trained fitters and a much larger selection.  You may want to see if  you can find a specialty shop that can work with SD or hit Nords if  you have one close by.

I know, I know too much about this.  Now I will shred another copy of my man card.

Major Blunder's picture

Here, let's just take each other's cards, I just told a coworker that her new nail color was , and I quote " Fabulous!"

And I wonder why my DW says I'm the (excuse the phrase) gayest straight man alive   lol

Rags's picture

Lol.  I learned long ago to comment on nail color, hair color, outfits, etc, etc, etc...  Even if I have no clue if it is new I make it a point to rave on all of these things fairly regularly just to  minimize the risk of missing something that I should notice when it comes to my bride's and lady coworkers style, coif, manis, pedis, etc.....

"Hey, I like your hair (or fill in the _____). Is that a new style(or fill in the ______)?" 

Either way... I WIN!!!!!

Dirol

ProbablyAlreadyInsane's picture

Have you thought about taking her to VS just to get measured? I know it's not super accurate, but it might give you at least a ballpark range of an idea where she should be.

It could be cups... Those are the hardest thing to match. Or you could take her to try on some sports bras too. Those might be easier to match since it's not quite as an exact science Smile