You are here

Schools reopening plans

Rewtkii's picture

Are there any parents/step parents’ jobs affected by some schools going virtual?  What affect do you think this will have on economy?  Just a thought.

Rags's picture

It certainly is going to be a paradigm shift in public school education.  Universities have been moving increasingly in this direction for a couple of decades.

There is no reason why it can't work for the lower education steps.  I can easily see it driving an increase in work from home careers for one parent and also an increase in single income families with one or more SAHPs.

Just wait, quality parents will increasinly produce stellar students and idiot parents will whine, cry and gnash their teeth about how its not fair, its not their fault, etc, etc, etc, that their kids suck and never amount to anything.

Socially, it will be a disaster as it could very easily significantly amplify the wealth gap and set many social advancements regarding diversity, etc... back decades.  There will be no one to keep young students under control and focused other than the failed parents that are outsourcing parenting to teachers as it currently is.  A kid that does not log in, participate in Web classes, turn in their homework, etc... will easily be deleted with a click. 

The good news, crappy kid behavior perpetrated drama will no longer impact the quality students in the class.   A teacher with complete control over who is heard can easily just mute and blank the camera of a nasty ill behaved kid.

The true tragedy is that kids that already struggle with functioning socially will not have the experiences required to develop those skills.  Engaging, well behaved high performance kids will thrive.  Those who are none of these things will fail at a much deeper extent.

I think that investments in Tech company stocks should be considered because it will drive explosive growth in technologies and cost effective advancement of distance learning and education platforms.  Putting money into longer term investments in innovation businesses will likely be a very good move. 

advice.only2's picture

I feel bad for people with little kids, but for those with older kids they can stay home and do their school work while mom and dad both work. It's not ideal, but I grew up with both parents working and relying on me and my brother to make sure we did our homework, fed ourselves, did our chores...I know I know giving kids responsibility and not having mommy and daddy do everything for them...foreign concept for some of today's parents.

ESMOD's picture

It definitely will be an adjustment.

As Rags pointed out, some kids will inherently have some benefits because they are parented by engaged and well educated parents.. other kids will fall behind without much safety net.

This will be challenging to people who are in a 2 career household (or only one parent at home).. because, even if you have work from home options, those employers will expect their employees to secure child care for their kids during working hours.MY company has made a point of this that your kids need to be in childcare during work hours.  Of course, that may not be 100% necessary when the kids get to a more self sufficient age.. but even the best of kids are going to need to be kept on track.

My YSD did distance learning at the end of HS and Beg of college..we found even a bright and motivated child can be distracted by the snapchat/tictoc lure... 

Some companies may start to offer assistance with childcare too.. mine currently is.

Cover1W's picture

In our area I already know of one school district which will be 100% virtual. A nearby school district will be a combo virtual/in person. Many school districts are not decided (school starts early Sept. here).

It's going to be interesting to see how co-workers deal with it because eveyone's schedule is going to be different if they have school age kids - one person already said she'll be working later afternoon/nights for the most part unavailable during the day.

As the only step I know of in my work group, I'm not effected other than dealing with the change of SD here.

I heard her on a call yesterday with a friend, I think (think) she's going to choose our school district over BMs, that's a major deal. But the virtual aspect will make it much, much easier. I'll be they will be doing a virtual/inperson spit. YSD was worried about her not getting classes with her friends due to that potential. But she'd be able to maintain a 50/50 time this way with BM/DH while if high school was only in person she'd have to really choose which home to live in because the commute in the mornings/afternoons wouldn't work at all.

justmakingthebest's picture

Several districts here are announcing that students will have a choice of "some" in classroom or totally virtual. It will be interesting to see what happens in my county. The vote will be announced on the 27th for us.

still learning's picture

For the last semester my kids had all virtual classes. Each class was about 15 minutes and all students got a pass no matter what. I work 12's and there was no way I could hover and make sure they were actually attending *class*.  The few times I was able to observe, my kids were on youtube or some other platform with the class muted.  

I think it's awful and none of the other parents I've talked to like it. Most of us work and don't have the luxury of being SAHM's so basically our kids are on their own with their education now.  The only bright spot was no school drop off/pick up to work around. It won't affect my job but it will definitely affect the quality of their education.  My one kid is a TAG student and virtual learning doesn't meet his needs. The other is special needs and to leave him on his own is to do his work was a joke.  

Online learning with college (which is how I've completed many of my classes) is a completely different scenario than with the lower grades.  

Rags's picture

Automatic pass is pure idiocy.  What moron in the education world made that decision?

I would be suing that district for the auto pass crap if I was a parent.

There are any number of systems for tracking "attendance" for online education programs.   I did my MBA online.  A minimum of log in and verifiable activity five days a week with specific assignment submittal requirements made it impossible to skate through.  There are two models of online classes, synchronus and asynchronus.  Both are fairly easy to monitor.  Synchronus classes are video classes that have specific times, durations, etc.... Students have to log in and watch, are often required to submit 6 or so questions during the video class, have to fill out a quiz at the end of the class based on the class material, etc....  To minimize not paying attention there are random attendance and attention questions that pop up and kids have 15secs to answer.  If they miss more than one or two, they don't get credit for attendance for that day and assignments due that day get a ZERO.   In asynchronus class formats each week has specific reading, discussion questions, and extensive written assignment requirements.  The teacher uploads a lecture on the first day of the class week, discussion questions are assigned that address the lecture and assigned readings, and a notable written assignment is assigned.  These can be things like professional publications review, etc.....

Auto pass just cheapens the effort of the kids that are worth a shit and rewards the POS kids who need to have the big fat red F tattood on their foreheads.  Online/distance learning has a unintended benefit of forcing kids who can usually make minimal effort and get good grades to do every bit of work and put in evey minute of time.

If the new normal is distance learning, any kids that have a choice of classroom will in all likelihood take the classroom option because it allows them to manipulate, play on the heartstrings of teachers, pull behavioral bullship, and weasel out of doing the work far more readily than an online format allows.  Online is binary. You either participate and do the work or you don't.  The only variable is the quality of the work if you do participate.  No participate, no pass, period, dot. Participate and the quality of your work product is assessed and a grade is earned.  

Sadly the money driven per head school funding, reward mandatory pass, crap will undoubtedly infect the distance learning format just as it has brick and mortar public schools.

Sandybeaches's picture

Many near us are staying on-line and most Universities are staying on-line too.  

I think we are about to learn something about education.  It can be done with a lot less and we will still be producing intelligent people.  Education has gotten WAY out of control.  We used to never have pre-school and we had half day kindergarten and pre-school was not a requirement.  Now they get homework in kindergarten.  Ridiculous!!  I am and always have been a firm believer in there is a time and place for everything and too much of anything even a good thing is bad.  People,  including children need variety and therefore again a time and place for school.  Kids need to leave school for the most part at the school door.  They need their acclivities and friends and family life outside of school.  I think we are about to see it can work with a lot less instruction.  

With that said on to college.  The same thing there.  We are selling education and high price college to our children and saddling them with 60,000- 100,000 dollars worth of debt to have "the college experience.  How awful when they find out that they had their life experience at 22 and they won't be able to afford the experiences that we had, marriage, kids, and buying a house, till they are 40 or 50 because they are saddled with so much debt.  Covid is helping everyone to take a second look at education, online instruction and the "college experience.   Buckie up I think there is a change on the horizon for education.  AND I don't think it is all bad.  

Rags's picture

We could not wait to get back to school after the summers under the hairy eyeball of mom and dad.  We had a lot of fun all summer but the chores, summer research papers, etc....  assigned by mom and dad, reading lists, etc.... made going back to school in the fall an exciting relief. 

IMHO kids should want anything but to stay home all year and have to do their school work under the hairy eyeball of their parents.  Teachers may not be able to take a paddle to incorrigible kid butts, but teacher mommy and teacher daddy sure can... and should.

Then maybe if we ever go back to "normal" the little darlings will sit their butts in their seats, participate and be respectful.

Hey, a guy can dream.