You are here

Oh how I appreciate my Stepdad now!!

horsefly's picture

I hope someday some of the skids I am reading about on hear become as appreciative as I have over the years of my stepdad.
My Bio dad died when I was 14 yrs old. My mom was 35 yrs old at the time. I was a mess. Parents aren't supposed to die just like that! My mom met a man and married him 3 years later. At 17 yrs old, I moved in with him and his daughters, 15 and 17. I was rebellious, missing my dad and did not want this man to think he was going to be my dad. But he bent over backwards for me. Built a room in the basement for me, was always there for me, never pressured me, welcomed me into HIS home and had the patience of a saint. I didn't recognize it at the time and could have cared less about him. I worked 2 and 3 jobs to save up money and bought my self a condo at age 23 and moved out. (I never, ever, not once, asked them for a dime)
My relationship with him got stronger as time went on and I "softened" up.
When I got married (for the first time :P) he gave me away. He became a father to me and always told me he loved me as his own daughter.
Unfortunately, after 15 years of marriage to my mom, he ended up falling for my mother's best friend and married her! (yah, bad scene) anywho, I was so angry with him! He destroyed our family. I did not talk to him for 10 years!!! He was devastated that I would not have anything to do with him because he hurt my mother so bad.
Well, after I met my husband (#2) and dealing with his kids, I realized just how much my stepdad did for me when I was younger and the feeling of wanting to reconnect with him got stronger and stronger.
Coincidentally, his brother died and I decided to go to the wake. As I was paying my respects to him, it was extremely emotional. We cried and hugged each other. I asked if we could get together for coffee and talk and we did and we have been meeting each other for breakfast once a month and keeping in touch. I made it clear that I did not approve of what he did, but I do forgive him and am forever grateful to him for the way he treated me.
I am so glad that we are in each other's lives again. He is 70 years old now. I want to give back to him in some way, what he had given me as a young adult. I can't believe how much I really missed him.
Just wanted to share.
Maybe some of the kids of today, will wake up.

StillSearching's picture

I appreciate my Step Dad as well and saw him as my bio father since he died when I was 4. I never really knew what my Step Dad went through until I got with a man that has kids.