You are here

NSMR: Is the contents of a shopping cart public domain?

AmIWicked's picture

I went into Walmart yesterday at 9am.
I'm waiting in line when an older woman my in laws know gets in line behind me. I barely know her but smile and say hi.
I'm making an effort to hide the box of pregnancy tests from her (picking up two things at once and shielding it).
She sees I'm trying to hide something and walks around me to see the box (obviously looking at the conveyer contents).
Then she gasps, "are you pregnant!?"
I lock eyes at the woman ringing me up and say, "that is kind of what the tests are meant for."
The older lady gasps again, "oh is it not (DH's)? i thought he had a vasectomy."
The cashier gets really wide eyed and looks at the old lady and says, "if it were someone else's do you think she would want everyone in Walmart to know?"
I thanked the cashier and talked directly to the cashier saying, "we had not even told my husband's parents that he had a reversal, but i guess if we must be gossiped about the fact that i am trying to have a baby with my husband is better than people saying i got knocked up in an affair."
The old lady scoffed at me and remained silent through the rest of the check out.
And the cashier told me good luck as i left.

I know a public area has no promise of privacy but come on!

sunshinex's picture

What the hell... That's almost hilarious. Sorry you had to deal with it, but she sounds like a batshit crazy old lady with no sense of manners!

uofarkchick's picture

But how did the old lady know about her husband's vasectomy? That's the part that's puzzling me.

hereiam's picture

Apparently, the in laws found it important to let all of their friends know. Ya know, so they could be on the lookout for pregnancy tests in OP's shopping cart.

AmIWicked's picture

Yes, we live in a small town. Everyone knows everyone's business. I was just hoping to have everyone know our business AFTER I was pregnant. Now everyone is going to be asking, 'why aren't you pregnant yet?'
This is exactly why my in laws WERE NOT TOLD about the reversal....

CLove's picture

Wow. That's confounding. No shopping carts are definitely NOT public domain. She sounds crazy.

hereiam's picture

Looking in someone's cart is one thing (and don't we all do it?) but commenting on the contents is another.

Some days, though, I would like to tell the fat ass in front of me that perhaps she should use her SNAP card to get something healthy and nutritious, instead of Little Debbie snack cakes and soda. But, I refrain.

AmIWicked's picture

I have snickered to myself when an obviously unhealthy cashier has asked, "what is this?"
"Its romaine lettuce."

Stepped in what momma's picture

Ha HA Ha HA!! This is the best suggestion yet! ^^^^^^^^^^ Just for tackiness you could've ask how long it had been since she had sex last. LOL!

AmIWicked's picture

I normally never would have bought the tests there, but i stupidly thought a weekday morning at 9am would not have the crowd of crazies out. Thats why i felt comfortable getting groceries and the test box. For the most part, i was right. It mostly looked like stay at home moms getting the qeekly shopping done.
I just forgot the crazy old people don't work during the day either...lol

SugarSpice's picture

this is such a flagrant invasion of privacy. some people dont have a clue about privacy or etiquette. i am so sorry for you in this.

Acratopotes's picture

I do not know if I should be angry or laugh....

I would simply tell the old cow - DH said I can get pregnant by whom ever he does not mind my kids will still have better manners then you.....

or I would say it's for DH's daughter or son's girlfriend... hell the old bat wants to gossip give her a story to gossip about