You are here

SS16 Fundraiser Drama

AmIWicked's picture

Skids live with DH full time, BM gets visitation every other weekend. DH pays for everything-BM does not give child support.
SS16 had a Free Throw basketball fundraiser at his school. He was supposed to go around asking people for donations ( $0.10 a shot for example). SS never did.
Because DH brother is the basketball coach at SS16 High School
DH family contacted SS16 and offered donations.
We gave a flat amount of $200, DH's parents gave a flat amount of $200, then between two aunts, an uncle and BM, SS got another $140 (these people did not give flat amounts but pledged $0.25 or $0.50 a basket).

SS16 found out today he ended up being the #2 earner in the fundraiser so he got a reward of $100 back. (We found this out when SS told BM on the phone).
SS told BM on the phone that he is going to give the money back to the people who donated, "$50 to grandma and grandpa, $50 to Dad, and some to (BM) and some to uncle and aunts."
WTF?
I don't think that it is his decision - being that he didn't "try" to fundraise. The $100 return is meant to be a reward for hard work.
SS also can't do math because $50 and $50 equals $100, so nothing left for the other people.

I asked DH about it and he agrees that giving the $100 back to his family would be pointless. They gave to support the basketball team and their own relatives (DH brother and SS). And BM gave less than $18, so SS is going to give her back, what, like, $2?
DH wants to tell the basketball coach(his brother) to keep the $100 and reinvest it back in the team.
I just know this is going to be a problem with BM because SS already told her he was going to give her money back...

BethAnne's picture

Giving cash as a reward for fundraising seems strange. I would encourage him to either do something nice for the team with the money (pizza after training one night?) or donate it to charity.

Exjuliemccoy's picture

A perfect opportunity to teach him about charitable donations.

Maybe he could donate to the Booster Club, or some other school- related group?

BM is the LAST one who should receive anything. :O