You are here

MIL convinced DH in NOT giving SD12 her psychiatric medicine!

KellyXtwodogs's picture

My MIL remarried last year and became all into holistic natural approach to everything. Totally anti-medicine. Now SD12 has been diagnosed with some serous mental heath issues since she was about 5 years old. SD12 sees a psychiatrist and is on Ritalin and Abilfy to help with these issues.

Now my MIL has told DH all these awful things about SD's medicine so now DH has STOPPED giving SD12 her meds on DH's parenting time. Worse yet DH is telling SD12 to lie and tell BM if asked and tell BM that DH IS giving SD12 her meds.  Now DH only gets SD12 every other weekend so missing those pills I don't really think is a bad things BUT I'm more concerned BM will somehow find out and flip out. BM LOVES dragging DH to family court and I'm afraid DH may lose his overnight visitation if the courts find out. Yes I know this is none of my concern BUT if DH gets dragged to court over this it was cost DH more money/grief with in turn will affect me also. Opinions needed could DH lose visitation over this??

tog redux's picture

Well, some parents choose to not give stimulants on weekends, but he should not interrupt the Abilify dose. If BM could prove that it's detrimental to SD's mental health, then yes, he could lose visitation.

But more importantly, why is he doing these hurtful things to SD? ie, asking her to lie to her mother and not taking her mental health issues seriously?  And is he such a Mama's Boy that he can't do his own thinking about medication?

ETA - he could also have CPS called on him by the psychiatrist if he/she feels these missed meds are disruptive to her mental health (especially if she is suicidal or self-harming).

KellyXtwodogs's picture

SD's Behavior to the Psychiatrist so DH thinks SD has been Misdiagnosed. So DH does not see it as doing anything wrong.  Now I agree with DH about BM Exaggerating BUT also agree with BM that SD is prone to Violent outbursts and Unportioned temper tantrum's. 

tog redux's picture

If he thinks she exaggerated, then he needs to set up an appointment with the doctor to give him/her his side of the story.   But if the doctor continues to prescribe, then he needs to follow through on doctor's recommendations. How does he possibly think this is a reasonable response, to not give her the meds for 4 days out of the month?  It's just going to hurt SD, not get back at BM, or whatever it is he's hoping to do.

Winterglow's picture

Bm may well exaggerate sd's symptoms but A psychiatrist diagnoses and prescribes according to what they observe not according to what they're told. 

notarelative's picture

If DH is telling his child to lie, he knows what he is doing is wrong and that it could affect his visitation. If he feels BM is exaggerating, he needs to discuss this with the psychiatrist. But, DH needs to keep in mind that he has a limited in person view of SD's behavior (4 days a month). He does not deal with her during the stressful school time.

Relying on your newly converted to holistic mom (MIL) for medical advice, rather than a licensed psychiatrist, usually does not go over well with judges. When, not if, BM finds out and justifiably (this time) takes him to court, the consequences can range from admonition to supervised visitation.

advice.only2's picture

Since it doesn't appear your DH knows how to make his own informed decision I would just tell DH that when his ex takes him back to court over this he needs to be prepared for the consequences of his actions.

Rags's picture

DH should lose his overnights.  Apparently like the antivaxers.... DH doesn't like children.  Including his own.

Idiot parents had no business breeding in the first place.

smh

TheAccidentalSM's picture

A quick google search shows that stopping abilify abruptly can cause nasty side effects.  This isn't fair to your SD.

AgedOut's picture

When a person takes a daily medication like Abilify and then stop and starts it randomly, their body is jolted. It messes with the medication's ability to work, Your husband is gleefully doing this to his child and asking his child to lie about it. 

That to me is very abusive. 

(I realize I'll get heat for that but it's my opinion)

Winterglow's picture

I absolutely agree. Meds are prescribed for a reason. Stopping and starting can cause real problems. I also hate that he's encouraging a 12yo to lie to her mother. 

A reasonable person who disagrees with the meds would make an appointment with the doctor to discuss the matter. 

KellyXtwodogs's picture

DH Finally stood up to his mother and told her to mind her own business. Mother in law got pissed that DH would tell her this and moved to Texas with her other son. Win win for me as my mother in law was a know it all and tried to run our life to Good riddance