You are here

Kudos to DH!

clenettec's picture

I have been telling DH since we've been together that SD only cries to get her way. I've also been telling him that SD doesn't want to be around me because I refuse to baby her (she's five). I also have told DH that SD and I will never have a relationship if he doesn't encourage it. For example, I would tell SD to come go to the store with me. SD will ask, "Is my daddy going?" I will say no. SD will throw a fit, screams, and says she doesn't want to go if daddy isn't going. And guess what? DH tells her she doesn't have to go. This has worked for her on several occasions including my wedding night!

I have told DH that it would be in everybody's best interest that he encourages DH to spend time with me without his immediate presence. Well, he did. He was leaving to go run an errand. DH told SD to stay with me. SD threw a major fit! Screaming, kicking, falling out on the floor, asking DH to take her to her mom's house (where SD runs things). This goes on for 15 minutes while DH is telling her that she can not go and DH is pleading for dear life. DH finally gets frustrated and leaves out the front door. SD then runs to the door and tries to unlock it to run after him. I stop her of course. Instructs her to have a sit and watch TV with me. SD screams at me to let her go to her room (anything not to be around me). I tell her no. After about 5 minutes, SD has settled down and then begins to engage in conversation with me about her friends and school. DH was gone for about 30 minutes before coming home. SD notices him coming through the door but did not break stride in her conversation with me. SD continued to talk to me for about 20 more minutes after DH came home.

I'm so proud of DH for saying no, sticking to his decision, and not letting the tears of SD sway his decision! Could this be a sign of a new beginning?

clenettec's picture

Well, my husband and I both have daughters from previous relationships. It was agreed that after our wedding, my daughter would go with my parents and his daughter would go with his parents. I'm not sure how the ball was dropped, but his parents left the reception without her. We did not realize it until we were about to leave the reception. So, his brother offered to take SD to his parent's house for us. We all agreed. However, when it was time to go, SD threw a major fit and DH said she didn't have to go. So, the start of my honeymoon was delayed several hours because of this. We got married at 3PM. Left the reception at 7PM. Did not arrive at our honeymoon suite until 12:30AM. The gap of time in between leaving the reception and arriving at our hotel was spent with DH and I traveling over an hour to his parents' house to drop off SD and convincing SD to stay with them. I WAS LIVID!!!!!!!!