You are here

how would you handle this situation?

startingover2010's picture

sd11 continues to steal from me and we found out this weekend she has been stealing from the classroom supply cabinet. we spoke with her teacher, who gave her a 'warning'.

today sd11 comes home and goes right to her room as usual. as i walked to my bedroom, right next to sd's, i smell the scents of a nail shop. after sd opens her locked door, i can really smell it now--and she has a nail kit opened and ready for service on her floor.

the kit contains acrylic liquid and powder, long nails, and a brush. the glue was nowhere to be found. it's the professional kind, from like Sallys'.

me; where did you get this stuff?

sd: miss hayden at school

me: and who is she?

sd: a teacher

me; what does she teach (her teacher is not miss hayden obviously)

sd: i dont know

me: so how do you know her?

sd: i help her with her class in the afternoons

me: and she gave this to you?

sd; uh-huh

me: why?

sd: i dont know

me: was this a new package?

sd: no

so now i am thinking, what would possess a teacher to give a student a used nail kit made for adults? why is she giving sd11 a gift anyways? and of course i know this story has many holes in it. it doesnt make sense. 11yr olds should NOT have nails like this. the press-on nails are ok but nothing like this! it isnt appropriate! the nails are too big for childrens fingers and the chemicals int he liquid and powder are not good either!

so i emailed her teacher and havent heard back yet. sd11 insists she didnt steal it and that this 'teacher' exists. of course that doesnt mean she is not lying, sd11 is natorious for making up stories in an effort to not get caught.

i ahve taken the kit away and hid it. bf doesnt seem too concerned. go figure.

not sure, i have been trying to back off and let bf handle things if they dont directly effect me and bd3. this kinda does as she is stealing from me and now other places and must be stopped.

i will probably let bf handle punishment because i ahve learned that unless i am there guarding sd11, anything i set is erased by bf, either by laziness or stupidity, or both.

i kinda hope that if she did steal it, that maybe she can spend a few nights in juvie hall.

Amazed's picture

Emailing the teacher was a perfect choice. It's too bad your BF wasn't the one who handled it. Something tells me it would help if he got more involved in fixing this little Kleptomaniac trend with his kid.

Take a look at this article: whatparentsshouldrealize.blogspot.com/.../is-my-child-kleptomaniac-or-typical.html
I think you may have to copy n paste it into your address bar...

~Why run away? I know who I am...you know who I am. Just let me be~

Totalybogus's picture

I think a child that is behaving in this way should not have a lock on her door.

Wicked.Step.Monster's picture

That's what I'm thinking too.... the only locking door in our house is the bathroom and mine & DH's bedroom. The other 3 bedrooms for perfectson & SDs are non-locking. They live in MY house and I will not be locked out of their rooms ever.

so far no word from the teacher. we just had the behavorial therapist come to the house for the first meeting. sd11 will see her once a month.

right now bf and i have discussed taking her door off the hinges, but being she keeps her room so trashed we dont want bd3 going in there--its a bio-hazard lol. we arent sure what to do.

the police force in our area doesnt do the scare tactic anymore, they are underpaid and over worked--their words exactly. they told me i can fill out a report everytime she steals from me but that eventually they will stop coming out until she robs a store or something mjor.

thats true, but something has to stop her. we've tried it all, although bf needs to stick with punishments, so thats one problem. he grounds her then lets her off early for good behavior, or makes stupid comments like "even prisoners get an hour a day in the yard".

UPDATE:

got email from sd's teacher, and the story is true; sd did receive this nail kit from the other teacher! i was so furious! how can a school offical give chemicals to a student and think it is ok?!?!?!? as soon as i read the email, i called the school and reported her to the principal, who promised to take care of it. im not sure how he will but whatever, this is rediculous.

so the nail kit is in the trash, and sd11 is upset cause it was a 'gift' for helping the other teacher in the afternoons. oh well. at 11, you shouldnt be worried about hooker looking nails on your fingers and toying with chemicals that can harm you. i didnt say that to her i said the oh well part. bf said i didnt have to throw it out, that i could have saved it and sd and i could have done our nails together.

uh, no. sd doesnt NEED fake nails. sd doesnt NEED to do that with me. besides, before i threw the kit out i noticed she dumped the liquid in with the powder and mixed it so its junk anyways.

and these nails were waaaay too long and waaay too big for her tiny fingers. sd11 is s tall lanky kid with very petite fingers. hell, they were too small for my nails.