You are here

Do you have a Christmas stocking?

onthefence2's picture

Do you, the parent or step parent, hang a stocking for yourself/spouse and do you put things in it when you put things in the kids' stockings? Or do only the kids/pets get stockings?

purpledaisies's picture

Me and dh have one and we normally hang them but we hardly ever put anything in them. No biggie

Igiveupsotornupinside's picture

No we don't. We just have for the kids. My mother though, she still hangs a stocking for each one of us and as a new member gets added she hangs one for them but my parents don't have a stocking.

GhostWhoCooksDinner's picture

Of course we do! Smile Santa fills them, obviously!

No, but really... I fill DH's and he fills mine, and we fill the boys' stockings together. The cats have stockings too, and they each got a toy and a can of Fancy Feast this year.

SheScreamsinSil's picture

There is one for SO. We got a new one a couple years ago for SD15 after her Mom took hers. I've had one for my dog for several years. So three stockings. I fill them all.

I DID enjoy the fact that at least TWO guests over the holidays asked where MY stocking was, and I told them (directly in front of SO) that, "No one loves me enough to get me a stocking." LOL! Wouldn't matter anyway. It would sit empty.

z3girl's picture

Everyone EXCEPT SD22 has a Christmas stocking! }:)
(Meaning including the dog and cat! Ha!)

I'm thinking that maybe when my boys are old enough, they can make a stocking for SD22 (or however old she is) and put homemade gifts from themselves in hers. But that's just a thought.

I think DH has "guilty husband" syndrome because this year I ended up with diamond earrings in mine! I probably won't get a birthday present again this year, but DH seems to make up for it at Christmas. Weird, but whatever.

sbm014's picture

Everyone has one. I fill them all except like this year I went to do Christmas with my mom and family so she filled mine and then I filled the ones for SS and DH went I returned home.

onthefence2's picture

Wow, I asked this question because I was *shocked* that my bf had a stocking for his son and for the dog, but did not hang one for himself. He said that his mom does a stocking for him at his house, but then his son gets the one at bf's house AND bf's mom's house. And now I see some of you are even worse off! LOL I mean, my bf is single without a stocking and I thought that was bad enough, because I am single and I do a stocking for myself. But some of you have spouses that don't do anything for your stockings! OMG beat them! LOL

I don't do anything crazy. But for instance, this year I needed a new pizza cutter, wooden spoons, flashlight, etc. so I put them in my stocking. Sometimes my daughter will put little things in there. And of course I pull all the dark miniatures out of the assorted bags and give my kids the rest Smile

For those of you doing stockings and not receiving, I suggest you change this. Moms are always getting slighted! Why not teach your older (s)kids or spouses to put little fun things in there throughout the month or on Christmas Eve? It's a great way to teach kids to be more giving, even if they don't have money. And fill it up yourself if necessary. It's still fun and I'm old! LOL

Sweet T's picture

We all have one. DH & I don't actually do gifts, only the kids get. However he & I get something in our stocking that I fill. He got an Elvis x mas CD, a note pad and a candy bar. I got a paperback and a bag of raspberry M&M's.

MdMom's picture

FDH and I have stockings, I'll fill his (usually with toiletries... Deodorant, toothbrush ect.) I'll usually have a few little gifts in mine (earnings, nail polish, lip gloss ect)

Our stockings are never full, though I try to give the illusion thatthey are. Lol

onthefence2's picture

Growing up, my mom would put in ours an orange, an apple, and walnuts (among other little gifts). I always thought it's because she is German, but maybe she was just using it as filler! LOL