You are here

Car Insurance - Just a Rambling Post

B22S22's picture

I got a form in the mail the other day from my auto insurance company wanting me to update information on my policy. I'm sure they're wondering WHY we have 2 licensed drivers and 3 cars insured... because my DD has a car (that I drive most of the time right now) and she still has a few hours left on her 50 hr minimum driving prior to getting her driver's license. So her car is insured, but technically she's not on our policy until she's officially licensed.

Anyhoo, filling out the form, and it asks me "What car does (DH's name) primarily drive?" To which I specify the truck. Then it asks me "What car does B22S22 primarily drive?" To which I specify both my DD17's car and my car.

Then it asks me "What car does (DH's EX-wife's name) primarily drive?"

What. The. Phuk.

There was no text box (only a radial), so I couldn't type "hopefully one that is careening off a cliff ready to explode a la Thelma and Louise"

How in the world did THAT show up? DH has been divorced for 17 years from this woman! I immediately called my insurance agent to make sure there wasn't something fishy... she said that because DH has had "some" connection to Ex, regardless of the amount of time, they'll ask if there's still a connection.

I feel violated. As if it's not enough that we have had a sudden onslaught of getting junk mail from her (which typically I toss, but did pause a moment when I received one from the Neptune Society -- who specializes in cremation -- hmmmmmmmm), and have been getting bill collector calls because she was kind enough to unplug her home phone (I started giving out her cell phone # and address after one of the bill collectors harassed my DD17), now I have to see her name pop up on my auto insurance questionnaire?

GAH. Is anything sacred?

Aniki-Moderator's picture

Whaaaaaaat?? That sucks. BioMonster doesn't show up on our car insurance information and he divorced her 8 years ago.

As for the mail, talk to your postal delivery person. He/she might be willing to return your BM's mail to the post office so you never see it. Unless it's the "so-n-so OR Current Resident". That stuff, they cannot return.

just.his.wife's picture

You can contact the post office and limit delivery at your address.

Literally you give them a list of names of who you will accept mail for (you, spouse, any children living in the house)... and it stops the mail for ex spouses and old tenants/ past homeowners.

B22S22's picture

I'm going to do that... it's obviously connected to my DH because prior to 7 years ago, this house didn't exist (I had it built), and the land was a cow pasture!

kathc's picture

I had a similar issue.

DH's exW showed up on our paperwork once because, apparently, she had the same company and they accidentally added her onto our policy. When I told them to FIX IT I was told that they couldn't take her off without HER PERMISSION. So I canceled the entire policy and switched companies.

B22S22's picture

That's exactly why I immediately called my insurance agent...

I had to take my DH to the ED last summer for an allergic reaction. When we checked in, somehow all of his contact information was BM's -- HER address, HER phone number, SHE was listed as wife and emergency contact. DH had been there about a year previously to get a finger laceration stitched up, and at that time they had MY information. So somewhere along the way, things had gotten, um..... "changed". I had to PROVE I was DH's wife and she was not.

So now anytime I see her name pop up on anything related to DH and I, I investigate.