You are here

BM Making a Butterball but its our Fault

WTHDISUF's picture

Just a small vent: DH calls SS8 tonight just to see how his day was as usual. I can tell SS8 is doing his normal half-listening stint as I hear DH repeating himself several times and trying to get his attention. Within few minutes SS8 tells him he has to go finish eating. DH says "okay, get back to your dinner" and SS8 says "no, dinner is a little later, this is my snack". It was 6p so kinda strange to be having a snack so DH ask what was it. Wanna know? THREE hot dogs! BM was preparing a homemade pizza and in meantime allowed SS to have not 1, not 2 but 3 hot dogs as a 'snack'. Now personally I don't give a sh8t what she lets him eat. He's 20pds overweight per his pediatrician. She had a Lapband surgery 2 years ago to come down from close to 300 to closer to 200. Her 2 brothers (both under 45) have had 2 heart attacks and are obese. We haven't a clue what SS8 Bio Father make-up is but Bio's Mom and her daughter are both significantly obese. I watched them take down half a birthday cake in one seating. All of that aside, I really don't care what she feeds him.

What burns me is that EVERY single time the kid is here she's giving us a rundown about what he can and can't eat, lecture about not letting him eat too much, not a lot of junk, make sure he eat's veggies, etc. Every time he goes home whether he's with us for weekend or 2 weeks she swears he's gotten bigger and we must have overfed him. I'm 37 & and a size 8. DH is 43 and size 36. We are not big eaters and we are active. Though DH does let him eat too much, we are not letting him eat so much that he's changing sizes within a couple days. We stop him when he's begging for a 3rd. It got to the point where DH would weigh him when he came and when he left but I didn't want to give the kid any further issues as he already doesn't want to take his shirt off at the beach so had to stop that. But anyway, point is we don't overfed him. Have her tell it she only feeds him freaking perfect portions of broccoli and he "never" eats too much with her. Freaking liar! We pay his lunch per week and for a bit he was running low on lunch funds by Thursdays each week and we found out it was b/c he'd be buying extra snacks and food PLUS she packed him a snack. Ridiculous.

If her little butterball ends up rolling about in fat camp when he's 12 that's fine by me but I'll be damned if she's going to blame us. Next lecture out of her mouth will result in the Three Hot Dog before Dinner reminder...

Okay vent over.

WTHDISUF's picture

I came around when kid was 4yrs old. His breakfast then consisted of a hot dog and an Easy Mac and Chz cup. Introducing new foods, healthy options, etc is an uphill climb since he was allowed to pick and choose what he wanted from the start. His diet to this day consists of: pizza, mac n chz, fries, hot dogs, nuggets, rice, bread, fried meats, apple juice by the f*cking gallon, whole milk and sometimes cabbage & broccoli. That's literally it. He does not eat anything sweet (thank goodness). Changes in food or even brands of same food and he won't eat it. I don't make special meals for him but DH will make him something else vs the healthier options I've cooked. DH doesn't feed him enough healthy foods but he does not let him gorge and we've stopped the snacking altogether last year. Both of them helped ruin his diet.

As for the pediatrician, last year DH opted to stop taking SS8 to his doctors appt. He finally got sick of sitting there like a fool trying to dodge questions about family health history. (SS8 was born of an affair in DH & BM 4th yr of marriage but skid doesn't know it yet). She reports back whatever she wants so we really don't know anymore what she's telling the doc about his diet.

MarriedaBallessWonder's picture

I'm sorry, but I just have to laugh. My SS15 is 80 lbs overweight and I call him Butterball too. I'm H gets pissed at me.

WTHDISUF's picture

I easily see SS8 heading into 80pds overweight by time he is 15, if not sooner. At least now we can still control his food volume and make him play soccer to have some kind of activity. But when he's a teen and can feed himself, I see him eating as much of anything as he wants and being that he's about as active as a banana slug, I don't see him choosing to play sports. Plus by then he will know DH is not his bio father so who knows how he'll handle that emotionally-probably with food. Sad

RedWingsFan's picture

WOW! SD14 eats like she'll never be fed again and I literally had to label every food item in my house or it would all be gone after her weeks with us.

I thought it quite humorous when we were visiting my DH's grandparents and they'd seen SD14 on her birthday last month and grandma (who is a polite, sweet Southern lil lady) said "I honestly thought she was 4 months pregnant when I saw her - she's put on that much weight!"

Well, it's because since June she's been living with her mother who allows her to do, say, eat, whatever she wants whenever she wants. She likely WILL be pregnant any time now. We're just awaiting that phone call.