You are here

BM is off her rocker

keepitsimple203's picture

BM and DH have been divorced for four years. I met DH right before their divorced was finalized and at the time they had already been split up for almost a year. BM had cheated on DH and then moved into an apartment of her own and basically just walked away from him and the skids. She would pick them up from him here and there as it fit into her schedule but DH had them 99% of the time for that year. DH had to push her for the divorce. She was basically keeping him on the side "just in case" while she lived on her own, dated other people, and just lived her own life. When he finally got her to sign the divorce papers she insisted on 50/50 custody only because she didn't want to pay him child support. From then on she had the skids every other week but still asked him to keep them a lot on her days when she was too busy for them. And he did. 

But when we got serious he finally put his foot down and told her he wasn't kissing her ass anymore. That it was time for her to grow up and be a parent on her 50% and take care of the kids on her own. It was then that she found out he was dating me and actually HAPPY for the first time in years and she lost her damn mind. She was calling him nightly crying and begging him to take her back, showing up at his house and breaking stuff and screaming at him (with the kids there!). He ended up having to call the police on her three times in a month's time because of her craziness. 

It has now been three years and she's still crazy but it has definitely subsided a little bit. It helped when she got herself a serious boyfriend about a year ago and moved him in with her. She still tries to make rules for DH, talk shit to their kids about him, and refuses to even acknowledge me other than bitching at DH about something I supposedly said to the skids. 

Anyway, so 4th of July night I'm driving my bios and the skids to meet DH when he got out of work so we could watch fireworks. Some random song comes on the radio and SS10 starts sobbing. I'm like omg what's wrong? He cries for a good 5 minutes straight causing SS9 to start crying too, and my bios and I are just lost at this point. Finally SS10 says "That is the song my brother and my mom and I listen to when we are sad that my mom and dad aren't together anymore." I'm like ummmm what?? He goes on to tell me that his mom tells him all the time how sad she is that DH broke her heart and left her and that he ruined the three of their lives. They sit around sometimes at home and all just cry. Then SS9 pipes in and says that when his mom and her bf came back from their cruise last month she told the skids that all she did was cry the whole time because it wasn't her and them with their dad. 

No I know this is bullshit. There's no way she was on a 7-day cruise with her bf and "cried the whole time". DH said she has NEVER tried getting back with him besides all that craziness when she found out about me and he doesn't believe for a second that she's all broken up about this four years later. So we think she's just doing this to f*uck with her kids' heads and try to turn them against DH. Who does that???!!! Even if I HAD been depressed when I went through my divorce six years ago I would have never sat around and tried to make my kids sad and made them listen to some song all the time and watch me cry!! Those kids are going to be so mentally f*cked up because of their mother. It just blows my mind!!

amodernstepmom's picture

Oh gosh, I'm so sorry. We have a lot of similar problems with this, too. BM makes the kids feel bad about their father.

This is absolutely parental alienation. Are you able to hire a lawyer? Please document everything thoroughly. We have a spreadsheet that is categorized, dated, organized with descriptions and specifics. This can't be allowed to go any further.

tog redux's picture

So, if BM has Borderline Personality Disorder, she probably goes back and forth between hating DH and thinking he was the love of her life. People with that disorder think in black/white.  The fact that she's enmeshing her kids and believes they feel just as she does points towards BPD. 

Court won't do anything about it. DH should talk to the boys honestly without bashing BM. Try to help them separate their own feelings from BM's.  Get them a decent therapist who will see through BM.  But don't toss his money down the court toilet.

Thisisnotus's picture

I can relate......my skids always get the "daddy left us" BS. Once when DH and I went on a cruise.....SD told DH that one of her moms sister in laws said to SD " awe honey I'm sorry your dad is going on a cruise without you, I know your mom and you girls would have loved to go on a cruise with him" We were like WTF????

Divorce is so sad for my kids....my bio kids are really messed up after my divorice (thanks to their vindictive father) and my skids are even more messed up (thanks to their alcoholic unstable mother).

hereiam's picture

So many people overlook the damage divorce does to the children. They are the casualties.

Yes, divorce is hard on children but what some of these parents do to their kids afterwards, damages them much more than the divorce.

momjeans's picture

Oh Lordy. BM used to pull this incestuous emotional BS with skid too. Such gross behavior.