You are here

Ahhh...the little girlfriend syndrome...

Invisiblestepmom14's picture

So I've been a SM for 7+ years now, last year I only had the SD visit for the summer. I wasn't working at the time so I watched her during the day while DH was at work. As soon as my DH got home, SD would meet him at the door wanting a hug. Then she would sit next to him (as close as possible) when they were watching tv. It irritated me a little but I just chalked it up to her missing her dad, so I said nothing about it. Skids only come to visit us during the summer.

So after joining ST last month, (never knew about it) :? I saw some posts about the little GF issues. I brought this up to my DH a few weeks ago before the skids came out. I pointed out a few things that I saw last year during the visit. He laughed about it being cute but said he would keep an eye on it.

Well sure enough it has started...lol. Just this last week or so, she has been majorly clingy. We went swimming on Saturday and she would not leave him alone in the pool!! My SS11 was in the same pool and had no problem going off the diving board, slide, etc. When my DH finally got out of the pool, she pouted about it. He was drying off and had the towel over his head, she got out of the pool and stood in front of him (scared him to death when he moved the towel! LOL). She wanted to sit at the table and pout that he got out. I told her to either get back in the pool or go sit in the locker room and pout, but she wasn't going to sit there and complain. So back to the pool she went.

Last year, when I would take her to the same pool. She would play with other kids, go off the diving board, etc. I didn't let her hang all over me and be made to entertain her the whole time. My DH has begun noticing it more and more, and doesn't let her practically sit in his lap when they are watching tv. Doesn't allow her to make decisions on who sits next to who when we are out. My DH sits next to me.

SD is now 10, will this get worse as she gets older? Are we taking the right steps now to stop the behavior? I have no bio kids, so I am clueless. He spends plenty of time playing games and talking with her but sometimes I would like to be able to sit next to my DH! LOL

Helena.Handbasket's picture

Yes, it gets worse as they get older. My SD16 still walks shoulder to shoulder with dad while we are out. She sits next to him at restaurants. She pouts when she's not the center of attention with him.

When he is paying attention to me instead of her she starts "hey daaaad..." or she'll start trying to be playful and aggravate him the way I do as his SO.

I guess I should feel lucky she isn't sitting in his lap, but still its gross. My friends see it, my mom see's it. Its just gross.

Oh boy the things I get to look forward too... Smile I figured it would get worse as she gets older. She hasn't started jumping between us yet. My DH does try to be aware of her walking next to him and holding his hand so that I can't get near him. I guess we'll see what happens!!

DH and I have started talking about having a baby and we both want a little girl...we'll see how that goes over with SD. Blum 3

Oh no, she won't be considered or consulted in that equation. Maybe I wasn't clear... :? I'm wondering how she will react if we have a little girl and she has another person vying for dad's attention. Smile

oncechoosetosmile's picture

wayinovermyhead, I had the same with SD7, it only got better when SO started to do sth about it.She behaved like a minitature wife !!

Orange County Ca's picture

What would be the long term end result if you just let the kid have her Dad when she's visiting?

I've not experienced this and have no education in the subject but I'm wondering if you let her and Dad deal with it (without you complaining to Dad) if she would outgrow it as she approached adulthood and discovered boys. My point being she's forced into competition as long as you compete whereas if you retire the field there's nothing to compete over. You and Dad never hold hands, don't sit together, never share more than a peck of a welcoming kiss etc etc.

Just some thoughts but I think it would make a interesting experiment for one summer. If it was working then continue......

luchay's picture

Are you kidding me? So the wife/partner has to STOP having a loving, normal relationship with HER partner so she doesn't "compete" with a child who has a warped sense of relationships? Just allow the child to act in an inappropriate manner, which would only get worse if let be?

You don't seriously think that teaching the child her place in the family (i.e. AS THE CHILD) would be the way to go.

Pointing out gently that the wife sits next to the husband?
When she interrupts private conversations gently telling her that you are having a grown up conversation and that you will play with her when you are done?
Asking her to move from snuggling with you on the couch so your partner can sit there?

All little things that gently but firmly put the child back into her place as a child and not a competing woman in her fathers life?

You don't think the DAD needs to step up and make sure his daughter has a healthy understanding of the dynamics of family and couple?

I agree if we "pretend" that it doesn't exist than it will just get worse. Like last night, I got home from work and my DH was playing the Wii with SD. When I walk in the door, my DH gets up and greets me with a hug and a kiss. He had paused the game they were playing and as soon as he finished hugging me, my SD started whining about finishing the game. My DH immediately stated, I have playing games and spent time with you all day (he takes weeks off of work when they visit) and my wife is home and I plan to spend some time with her. The game remained pause for about 10 minutes while DH and I talked, I went to change and he finished the level with her and then shut the game off because of her behavior. I agree with the majority that if we don't put boundaries in place now, we will have a bigger problem later and people will think that the relationship is gross.

great!!!! all of this is true.
I like this: All little things that gently but firmly put the child back into her place as a child and not a competing woman in her fathers life?

Anon2009's picture

I think it could in part be because she doesn't see DH a whole lot.

I also think its partly because divorce isn't natural. We as humans have never been wired to want divorce or think it's natural. We're wired to want our parents together and be brought up in an intact, loving family. And I really think that divorce can and does throw some people off a healthy course of maturation because it isn't natural. So when we get thrown off course like that, we display behaviors we normally wouldn't.

Also,a lot of it depends on how BM and DH conduct themselves. How has BM handled things?

Miss-Step's picture

This "little girlfriend" syndrome can last unless something is done about it. Don't allow it to become a set pattern and you can take control of it sometimes too. Sounds like DH is working on it.

I married with 3Skids (all teenagers - 2SD, 1SS). One SD would always be hanging on to daddy's arm for pictures or when we were walking anywhere - from the car to movies, or church, etc. Unfortunately, my DH didn't get it. I would just get out and clutch his other arm and trying to balance us both on his arms was enough for him to release his SD.

Once during a family photo, I was setting up camera and SD was clutching on to Daddy's arm or hugging him around his waist and I said, "Uh, SD, I will be standing next to DH in the photo, I am, afterall his wife" and then I'd go in between them. Loved seeing the shocked pouty face and DH with his stupid blank express and not knowing what to say. Those were the times I wished DH get a spine. He never did.

I have since disengaged as much as possible from this selfish-needy-girl and DH is still clueless to the fact that I have.

I so had the same- the girl hanging on to him whereever we went ...and I walked behind them feeling like an idiot and the third wheel.
I told SO that I am not going anywhere with them at all anymore if this doesn't change,he got it in the end.

feelinglost's picture

Is this how daughters at that age act around their fathers? I don't remember being so clingy or in need of hugs from daddy when i was growing up, but then my family dynamics was quite different. I would like to know about this. This was one thing that bothered me a bit too. It looked like she constantly needed to be on daddy's side or holding his hand and stuff. It is funny it seems to be so prevalent.

When I was growing up, I was never that clingy around my dad and my parents are still married! My parents made it very clear that they were the adults and we were the kids. I understand that she probably misses her dad but we're trying very hard to make this competition go away.

MichelleA's picture

Yep, I have been there too! My FSD (11) is just as bad. She is now finally starting to realise that I am daddy's girlfriend and she is his daughter, but she still goes to sit in the middle of the sofa so that we have to sit either side of her. But we have both worked her little schemes out and we sit elsewhere. She too tries to get in on 'adult converstions' . The worst bit at the moment is her then trying to tell her little sister Diablo what to do. Like she is the adult and the little sister is the child. This causes arguements between the girls. She really is testing my patience at the moment. She wants to be the 'alpha female' and I will not have it.....

ownedbypedro's picture

I also had a step SON who behaved this way. He came to live with us at age 14 and was all over his dad, practically on his lap every evening, always hanging on him - it was just PUKE gross.

keeponstriving's picture

You are the future wife right now. Wait until all three girls start to steal stuff your stuff and lie about it. Geez don't get married to a man with three daughters who already act like daughter wives. Three daughter wives will make your life miserable in no time. You better start practicing disassociating.

jaakaa's picture

My SD5 likes to give my DH kisses that are really long.. she will hold his head down. It finally got to a point that grossed him out and he was like "I like short kisses". She never tries to give me long kisses so I really think she is using my DH as her experiment or something. I've also caught her masturbating alot lately like basically out in the open.. it is quite disgusting.

tiredandfrustrated's picture

Same situation but with a boy...My SS does this same thing. He wants my DH to do everything for him, wants to be held or sit in DH's lap all the time (only when I'm sitting next to DH), interrupts when DH is talking to me and basically follows DH around all damn day, every day. Anytime I try to do anything for him, he throws a screaming fit because "daddy" didn't do it. He's 3, so it may be partly his age, but my kids are 3 and 5 and don't do it nearly as often as SS. DH finally got fed up. He started telling him to be quiet when we're talking if he tries to interrupt, won't hold him or let him sit in his lap if we are having "our" time, and told him that if he wants something, he's gonna have to deal with me sometimes or do without whatever he's wanting. I think the only solution is for DH to put his foot down or it just gets worse. I can already imagine how this one's gonna go for us as he gets older... Sad

phoenix410's picture

SD10 is really clingy like that to my DH. Luckily, he recognizes it. He won't let any of the kids sit between us at church or when we are sitting anywhere, and when we are alone together and get interrupted, he won't let them continue. SD10 is worse than the other three... she literally follows DH around everywhere, and is right at his elbow no matter what he is doing. He constantly has to tell her to back off. I suggested to him that if he made time do some one-on-one with her, that it might cut down on her attention-seeking. So he tries to do that.

The thing that bothers me the most is when she stands around listening to adult's conversations (even if it's not anything she CAN'T hear, but it's just adults trying to converse), like she belongs there. I wish DH would tell her to go away then!

I think a lot of those boundaries need to come from the DH.

Yep, my DH is starting to see it more and more, all I have to do is raise my eyebrows at him when she starts with the whining and attention getting and he puts a stop to it. It'll be interesting in 2 years when she can choose to live with us, she has already told her mom that she is going to live with her dad and her mom said ok! LOL BM doesn't care for SD, only cares for SS and I know SS won't live with us cause he doesn't get spoiled at our house. That's ok with me!! Smile

holey moley, what this is teaching us is to ACT NOW- don't wait until things are changing since they will not.Sick!!

guiltystepmom's picture

i understand ur point of view...but she is a child...my daughter and son are always clinging on to their dad that doesnt get me upset, why would i get upset if his daughter would do the same...
come on seriously...i would understand at maybe 11-12 they know it upsets the other person but not at 6...shes a baby...dont do that to ur husband...its his little girl. Smile

My SD is 10, not 6. I would agree that at some ages they need that type of attention but she is much to big to be all over him at the age of 10.

MichelleA's picture

Had a bit of a ‘stressful’ evening with FSD (11) on Saturday. We went to the pub for tea (we normally do on a Saturday night if we are down at BFs’s parents) and she did the ‘mini girlfriend’ bit again! Wanted to sit next to him……. Followed him up to the fruit machine…….. sat with her arms around his neck for a good 5 mins and was basically over him like a rash! It was embarrassing!! Even people in the pub kept looking! I showed my displeasure to bf when we were leaving and he had a ‘word’ with her that evening – told her the new pecking order etc and that she is his daughter and I am his girlfriend and there is a massive difference so stop being silly! I even shouted at her as we were getting out of the car as bf was dropping us off then popping out to get a paper (he was only going to be gone 5 mins)…. She wanted to stay in the car with him! I finally lost my temper and shouted ‘for goodness sake **** – get out of the car’!! – shocked them all! Lol – bf said I did the right thing and that she needs to learn…. I was bloody fuming! But she was ok yesterday…….so maybe some if it sunk it! Lol

MichelleA's picture

Thanks Smile I know he had a talk to her but I am not sure what he said ( I haven't asked) - as long as she knows that my relationship with her father is very different from her own things will be ok, but BOY does it naff me off! - why do girls do this? it's pathetic! x

mizcece's picture

My SD11 has her period, boobies the whole nine. One evening I was sitting at my computer and my husband was lying on the couch. This overgrown child dives on the husband and is lying all over him trying to wrestle with him. I immediately told her to stop it and that it was in appropriate behavior for a child of her age. I told her that lying all over her father and playing with him like that was not cool and that she was not to do it again. My husband later came to me to say that I hurt her feelings and she thinks she did something wrong. DUH!!!!!!!!!! She did and she should feel bad. That type of behavior is inappropriate.