You are here

No respect

HannahD1020's picture

My husband has 3 kids, 2 girls & a boy, all teens. The middle SD it’s very disrespectful & rude. Not just to me but everybody. But I’m the only one who stands up for myself. Last night she hit my dog in the face 3 times with a pillow and can’t unserstand why I yelled at her. Of course she goes running back to mom and forced the other 2 to come with her. I’m not going to allow anybody, especially a teenager, to disrespect me or something I love. Dad was there and witnessed the whole scene. Now I feel guilty because his kids refuse to come back over and he is losing out on time with them. 

hereiam's picture

If your husband witnessed the whole scene, what did he do about it? What is he doing about his disrespectful, rude daughter?

If they can't be respectful in your home, your husband can either do something about it or see them elsewhere.

I wouldn't feel guilty because his kid is a brat. Yelling was probably not the answer but I know emotions run high when it comes to kids hurting animals or other kids.

HannahD1020's picture

My husband was sitting beside me and saw the entire scene.  He yelled at her too, I was just the one who was closer and got there first to grab the pillow out of SD's hand.  I feel like he is very lax in punishment for them and have voiced this to him.  His response is always that their mother does nothing so if he does anything then they stay away and he doesn't see them.

oneoffour's picture

If he wants to see his kids these are the terms. No abusing animals. And he should front up to his ex and explain "Lucy was hitting the dog in the face with a pillow and would not stop. HannahD rightly told her off and to stop doing it. Her rudeness when she is here is disturbing and frankly unacceptable. If she acted the same way around your partner I would have a fit. Now I cannot force her to come over however she should not be able to hide away at her other parents place whenever she gets in a pissy mood. If we were still together where would she run if she was angry with you? I am not siding with HannahD or Lucy but with the dog. It did nothing wrong. I expect to pick them up next time. Thank you."

One time my SSs went back to their mother bleating on about me making them take their hats off at the dinner table and not eating mashed potato with a teaspoon at the age of 14. She emailed my DH a looong complaint of my 'problems' (the one and only time she ever said anything) . DH sent her an email back telling her she was listening to one side of the story and if she is really so concerned she should call him and he can set her straight. Never another peep out of her. Although I heard she thought we would get divorced within a year of marriage. Meanwhile 14+ years later .......

HannahD1020's picture

My husband did do just that and called their mother right away.  Unfortantly, their mother seems to believe the SD over the adult, but that's also par for the course so it seems.  The SD that hit the dog is the middle child and has an older sister and younger brother.  She immediatly ran to the older SD and told her her version of things.  The oldest SD seems to have a strange control over the other 2 and forced the youngest, the SS, to go back to their mother's with her and the middle SD.  To which the mother welcome them with open arms and told their father I overreacted to a situation she didn't witness.  As I type this, I'm seeing the problem isn't the children, but rather the people who raised them so poorly!

New_to_this's picture

I understand that you feel guilty because I think I would too, but the reality is that you should not feel guilty at all. You were protecting your innocent pet. Your DH witnessed it and should have yelled at her too. He should have also set it straight with BM about what happened. And, I know this is ideal, but BM should have been ok with your reaction or at least not ok with her daughter's actions. She should have been lecturing her daughter on how to treat animals when she heard what happened. It sucks that the skids don't want to visit, but BM's and DH's reaction should have been different. DH should have reprimanded her, so you should not feel guilty about being the one to do it. DH should have taken the brunt of this for his daughter's actions. He needed to back you up on this.

HannahD1020's picture

Thank you.  To an except, my husband did back me up with his daughter, though I do feel he needs to be stronger with both the kids and the BM.  But thank you for reply.  I knew this wouldn't be easy going into it but I never thought it would be this difficult.

twoviewpoints's picture

Ok, teen hit furbaby in face three times with a pillow. Dad sat there doing nor saying anything. One the third hit, you yelled at kid. (IMO, two hits late)

So what did you yell at teen? Was it along the lines of leave the dog alone, act your age et? Or was it 'touch my do again and I'll smack you all the way back to your mother's house?  (Nope, not accusing you of that , just trying to get to what your definition of 'yell' is).

How did the three kids leave the home (do they drive? Called Mom to fetch them? Demanded Dad take them?).

I see you and DH just got married less than two months ago. Don't feel guilty scolding the teen. She was hitting an animal. She was hitting an innocent animal right there in front of her father who said or did nothing.  So unless you went over the top crazy and shouting the brat was banned for life and to GTFO, meh, she's lucky all you did was yell an scold her.

I have zero tolerance for abusing animals. Even if it's not perhaps really hurting the dog. Poor little guy isn't use to having some snot kid hit him in face with a pillow and that certainly isn't playful fun for the dog. 

With all that said, I wouldn't fret over Dad not seeing his kids in your new home If he's just going to sit there witnessing his kids misbehave an say and do nothing, he can have his visitation outside the home. Let him take them to dinner out once a week an maybe a father/kid outing once EOWE. 

HannahD1020's picture

Ok, teen hit furbaby in face three times with a pillow. Dad sat there doing nor saying anything. One the third hit, you yelled at kid. (IMO, two hits late)

After the first time, both Dad and I said "You don't have to hit her".  After the third hit (I couldn't get up fast enough to get to her after the second) is when I snatched the pillow out of her hand.

So what did you yell at teen? Was it along the lines of leave the dog alone, act your age et? Or was it 'touch my do again and I'll smack you all the way back to your mother's house?  (Nope, not accusing you of that , just trying to get to what your definition of 'yell' is).

I said to her "Do not hit my dog!" with a finger in her face.  Her response was "You can't yell at me.  You're not my mother.  You can't discipline me".  My response back was "When it involves MY DOG, I can do whatever I want."

How did the three kids leave the home (do they drive? Called Mom to fetch them? Demanded Dad take them?).

The oldest SD took the middle SD (the one that hit the dog) home, then came back, got her stuff together and demanded the younger SS go home as well.

Rags's picture

Why on Earth would you feel guilty about defending your pet against a violent toxic POS kid?

Stop that!

Maybe if your DH had actually maintained contact with his balls and parented his kids rather than catering to them they would not be so adept at running to mommy.

And.. why isn't he beating on BM's door with a copy of the CO in hand to drag them to visitation by a twisted ear?

Parents who abdicate their balls and position as parents to controlling spawn are wastes of parental skin IMHO.

smh.

HannahD1020's picture

You said it perfectly.  I love him more than anything in the world but he and his ex-wife did a horrible job raising them.  And believe it or not he is more strict with them then mommy is, so of course they go running to her.  I've questioned why he doesn't stand up to BM and he is afraid she will mantiuplate the kids to stay away from him.  I've told him straight up that how they speak to you is your business but once they disrepect me and the people/things I love, I'm not holding back.  These children are going to get out in the real work and get a major slap in the face.  Hopefully they go running to mommy then too!

Myss.Tique D'Off's picture

No respect? Yeah, that would be my sign for calling it quits. It is the one thing I cannot tolerate. 

Your SD abused an animal  - she was lucky the dog didn't rightfully bite her. What kid of feral children are these? Your husband should count himself lucky with only not seeing his children. I would divorce him and be rid of his horrid children too!

HannahD1020's picture

Here's an update to last weekend's drama.  We typically have a family friend over for dinner on Monday nights.  Last night was no exception.  Neither SD17 nor SS13 wanted to come to dinner.  No big deal to me.  But strangely enough, SD15 (the one who hit the dog with the pillow) did want to come to dinner but wasn't going to eat.  She just wanted to sit at the table.  It's like pulling teeth to get her to come to the table at all, so both DH and I were baffled.  Still not sure what the reasoning was but I also figured it wasn't worth my time.  I walked in the house and said hello to all, including SD15.  No response from her.  No response form her when I asked her a question or when we dropped her back at her BM's house.  So now I see she was there to test me and try to make me uncomfortable.  So I have now decided my new motto is to kill her with kindness.  My mom used to do it and it drove me crazy so I'm sure it's an effective technique!  She's already said she's never speaking to me again (SCORE!!!!) but I'll still say hello and good night, as her how her day went and if she wants to help with dinner.  She'll eventually get so PO'd she will go back to her old pouty ways instead of trying to show daddy what a princess she is.  

HowBoutScottyDont's picture

that your DH talked with DSD about her rudeness towards you. I know you say you can kill her with kindness, but if she keeps this up, it's going to wear on you.

HannahD1020's picture

She hasn’t uttered a word to me since this happened. It’s been amazing. She’s still a little sh*t but avoids me at a all costs. Even to the point that she refused to asked me to help open a shampoo bottle when her dad couldn’t get it. She went without washing her hair instead. My DH needs to stand up to her because she, and the other 2, still talk to him like he’s a piece of crap.