You are here

Mother's Day Sucked

Tiffanyartist11's picture

Another Mother's Day (this time on the same day as my actual birthday) has passed and I have had no acknowledgement by my two step sons 16 and 18. Not even a simple "Happy Birthday," or "Happy Mother's day." They are so inconsiderate most of the time it makes me enraged. In the past I have gone as far as to help them get Mother's Day gifts for their own mom. None of those things matter. I am finding it hard to continue to do nice things for them when they do this to me year after year.

CantKeepDoingThis's picture

SD15 didn't acknowledge me on Mother's Day, either. Yeah, over the course of the time she has lived here for the last year, I have done things for her...picked her up from summer band, took her to get clothes. In the last months, I've stopped doing anything for her, because she is the most ungrateful person I've ever met! Didn't acknowledge me on Mother's Day? I look at is as a gift! If she had, it would have been with a fake smile as she didn't mean any of the words coming out of her mouth. The better present was for her to just avoid me completely, which she did very well yesterday! Had she said anything, or given me a card, it would have only made my skin crawl! LOL

BTW....Happy Birthday!!!! Biggrin

besteping's picture

I am new here, but I wanted you to know that I too did not get a "Happy Mother's Day!" from my two SD11 and SD13. Honestly, it hurt. I treat both of those kids like my own and I guess I am the only one that feels that way. When I was feeling sorry for myself and talked to DH, he said, "You aren't kind, when you ask them to do things, so why would you expect them to say "Happy Mothers Day" to you?" Nice.

CantKeepDoingThis's picture

I know how you are feeling. I've been in SD15's life for 14 years. Her coldness toward me started early on...and I'm positive was very much BM's doing. At first it hurt...I love you like one of my own, and this is how you treat me? After time, it stopped getting to me, but also, I stopped doing as much for her. DH tells me I don't treat her like one of my own, but I have to remind him she doesn't treat me as one of my own would treat me...and THAT started first! I simply got tired of doing and doing and it not being appreciated, so I quit doing for her. My bios appreciate what I do for them! I buy BS19 something, I at the very least get a very cheerful "thank you, momma". I buy something for BS23, I get a "thank you, mommy". I buy anything for SD15? She just takes it and disappears to her room without a word.

You have every right to feel the way you do!

Tiffanyartist11's picture

My husband always says things like "Oh I never thought of things like that when I was their age," or "I was never expected to do things like that at their age." UGH. He also came from a standard nuclear family. He has no clue.

Orange County Ca's picture

Every step-parent that is discovered after its too late to stop them should be issued a disengagement manual which includes a chapter on why no matter how much you do it will not be acknowledged until they have children of their own if then.

SMto2's picture

Belated Happy Birthday to you! I've been a SM for almost 15 years and have never gotten any recognition on MOther's Day or a "Happy Birthday" from SSs, who are now 18 and 20. In fact, neither recognizes DH on Father's Day or his birthday, either, so I certainly don't expect they would recognize me. They are selfish and entitled and that's the way it is. Fortunately, DH and I have each other and our 2 DSs and we recognize one another on Mother's Day, Father's Day and celebrate birthdays together. Smile