You are here

Fun times!

CantKeepDoingThis's picture

Been making SD15's life just terrible today...at least if she tells it, that is what you will hear!

While I was in my office doing some work, SD15 comes out of her room and tries to tell DH that they need to go to Sephora...she "needs" makeup. When DH relays this to me, I tell him straight up...only makeup she is getting is from the grocery store! She has a $15 budget, and that is it! He seems puzzled by this. I remind DH that we very rarely bought makeup for BD23...that she worked for her own money. DH claims that SD15 isn't at that point yet. I reminded him that before BD23 got an actual job, she did dog walking, babysitting, oh and...get this...CHORES without being told! I told DH I'm not feeling too generous when SD15 won't even pick up after herself, bringing up the last two days that he did her dishes!

I needed to get my friend to trim my bangs, so we swing by her shop and them I went with them to the store. DH disappears and leaves me to help with the makeup shopping. SD15 immediate tries to head to the more expensive stuff, and I redirect her to the stuff she could get with her $15 budget! You could tell by the disgusted look on her face and how long it was taking her to make her choices she was not happy about this plan, but realized if she really wanted makeup, she was just going to have to deal with it!

Them we get to checkout. We've connected back with DH at this point. SD15 starts begging for gum, sodas, etc. and DH tells her no to all of it! He tells her she doesn't need the sugar! Good job on DH, but of course I get the evil eye because I've turned DH!

We head straight home...no more shopping...and now she is sitting here with this scowl on her face. Poor baby! I'm certain the next time she goes to BM's she will get someone to take her to Sephora or Ulta to get the makeup she really wants. Girlfriend's gotta learn.

Oh, and you will love this. In our discussion, I tell DH that SD15 is not going to make it in the world with her current attitude and expectations! He insists she will be fine. I tell him, "So what happens when her roommate kicks her out for not cleaning up or paying her share of stuff?" DH says that SD15 will learn from it and it won't happen again! I tell him he's full of it...he knows what will happen...she will come begging to move back in here with some sob story about how mean her roommate was, and then will never leave! I reminded DH that is the way BM did things. DH tries to say that SD15 is not the same kind of person! Right, that is why she acts like her mother in everything else!

Several months ago, DH took her to Sephora and got her like $200 in makeup! She was told she had to work it off, and she never did! Since then, SD15 has been getting makeup from somewhere....not us. I don't know if from friends, BM, or what...but she thought she would try to get dear daddy to get her all new makeup again. Nope! I think he learned his lesson, especially how she has been treating him lately and when I reminded him that he's been doing her dishes the last 2 days!

Rose.Colored.Glasses's picture

Right?! I've never even bought Sephora for myself! Can't bring myself to spend that much on makeup. Jeez

That is where I directed her in the grocery store! I even told her, "This is the section you shop in when you are broke and are spending other people's money!" Oh, if looks could kill I'd be dead! She thought she was still going to get away with some MAC or L'Oreal! Sorry, broke girls can't buy those brands...lol!

Orange County Ca's picture

You're a regular Simon Legree the slave driver in Uncle Toms Cabin.

Tom’s last earthly master, the brutal Louisiana plantation owner Simon Legree, is one of the four most famous characters in Uncle Tom’s Cabin – but he doesn’t appear until two-thirds of the way through the novel. Legree’s fame isn’t based on his complexity – it’s hard to imagine a simpler character.

When Legree swaggers into the auction at the slave warehouse, Tom starts shivering immediately, as if he supernaturally senses the man’s evil spirit. And Legree is evil, thoroughly and remorselessly evil. He has no redeeming features. He’s got a conscience, but he’s trampled it under and decided to behave with utterly inhuman cruelty. Once Legree appears, as savvy readers, we know that Tom is doomed.

Lol...guess that means I'm evil? Yes...how dare I make the dear princess settle for Wet n Wild and Rimmel makeup...at least that is what she is thinking, I'm sure. Dear daddy isn't falling for the puppy eyes and angelic voice as much any more! Maybe, just maybe, he's figured it out! I have noticed a bit of a change in how he relates to her since that blow up last weekend-ish...when SD15 told him she wanted to move back with BM. I think he is starting to see the big picture...she doesn't want a relationship with him! SD15 never has! Everything was always more important than seeing her dad (hence all the years she maybe came over once a month...wasn't because he didn't try, but because BM and SD15 would have half a million excuses to cancel on visits). I think he is finally starting to understand that the only reason she lives here now is because her step-dad does not want her living there...and because BM depends on her husband, she has no choice but to go along with it! Three months ago, me saying that SD15 had to get her makeup from the grocery store would have caused a huge fight with DH. Today, all it took to get him to agree was reminding him that he's done her dishes the last 2 days! He's coming along! We will see how far the next time she does something really stupid and gets in trouble...because I feel in my gut that will be soon!

Rags's picture

Sephora is the cheap shit for my bride. I blame my mother. When we told my parents that we were heading to Tahoe to get married my mom took my bride to the Lancôme counter for a full makeover, bought her all of the stuff the artist put on her, and my investment in high end makeup took off and has never slowed down since. What I would give to have my bride buy her makeup at Sephora. She does buy skin care there but as for the paint and spackle, nope. It is all Lancôme, Dior, Bobby Brown, etc ..... from the high in stores. Ughhhh!

I do find the argument about what SD-15 might could possibly do in the future a bit unnecessary and premature.

Better that you and DH discuss her current behavior and behavioral expectations that you can both enforce in your marital home.

SD will do what she will do when she is at each future age. Set the behavioral expectations now, enforce them, and deal with the future when and if it happens.

IMHO of course.

Was pointing out that he isn't preparing her for life! By doing everything for her, she will never learn responsibility of any kind! I'm not about having this princess in my house until she is 30 because she is too lazy to clean up after herself, let alone keep a job! It's time she learn about life! Things aren't handed to you...you earn them! People aren't going to follow you around picking up after yourself...you got to!

Orange County Ca's picture

How does a father do the dishes his 15yo daughter is supposed to be doing? It is simply unimaginable. Sure there are various emergencies or over-riding obligations such as she needs to be in choir practice but really?

You know...it would be one thing if she were really doing things! But she had her food, put her dish on the counter next to the empty sink, then off to her room to chat on her phone with some guy! So DH cleaned her dish for her...two nights in a row...instead of making her get off of her butt and do her own crap! He has given up telling her to clean her crap, he has taken it upon himself to do it for her.

BarkAtTheMoon's picture

We live in a society of enablers who would rather pick up after able-bodied skids than hear the tantrums they still throw. She should be doing ALL of the dishes at almost every dinner during the week!

Go take her phone. Ask what she contributes to the household in order to EARN that phone? You and DH will get into a pissing match, but he'll understand you mean business, it just might take longer for him to come around.

My SDstb19 has worked fast-food for 3 summers and doesn't even make $8 yet. Three summers. You should be aiming a little higher, my dear. She can only work 3 days a week this summer otherwise she'll get "stressed out."

Since we were discussing doing dishes and such here, ......

Last Thanksgiving,, I was making a full holiday dinner in my home. The previous years we had the skids on the Wednesday night before Thanksgiving, so I would rush home and throw together a holiday meal in 2 hours (pre-cooked bird.) This past year, the BM died, so we had and still have, the skids FT. I planned on serving Thanksgiving dinner at 1pm. At 12:15pm SDstb19 appears in the living room in a sports bra and shorts. It was 45 degrees out. I asked if she was hot, and she said she was going to go workout on the treadmill in the basement. It's 45 minutes until serving time and she is getting on the treadmill! I was furious as I cooked in the kitchen. I could hear her footsteps below me in the bsmt, running on the treadmill.

I turned to DH and said that she was NOT to sit at my dinner table with fresh linens, all sweaty from a workout! She needed to shower. He went to the bsmt to inform her of this bec he agreed. Next, I hear whimpering and then a blood-curdling scream. He leaves her down there (she was 18 and still is until next week). I hear her sobbing through the kitchen floor and while I understand she was missing her mother, I still snickered to myself a little at how ridiculous she was acting.

DH went back downstairs 10 minutes later and I hear him say," Get up off of the floor SDstb19!" She's curled up crying and screaming and then pouting. She screams that her mother is dead. Her father said that if her mother were alive she'd say you were being a dumbass and to get up off the floor.

She went and showered. Recapturing that lovely moment just a few weeks ago, SDst18 said she didn't think the holiday was "that special."

I have a good mind not to cook this year and if I do, she can do the dishes. I might just microwave her a Lean Cuisine turkey dinner.

Sorry didn't mean to get off-topic. I had a lot of dishes to do that day. lol

Oh...once I can get DH alone in the house again without prying ears, I need to sit him down to a talk! Just this morning...SD15 was in her usual Sunday mood. She had her usual attitude at Starbucks because she "wasn't going to be allowed to get what she wanted anyway!" DH ordered her the usual. SD15 walks off and goes to sit at a table where not all of us could sit! She does this every Sunday morning she doesn't get her way! I tell DH to just leave her sitting by herself. He doesn't listen, but as usual tries to coax her to sit with us at the bigger table.

DH doesn't get it! This is the oldest female trick in the book! Only problem is that now little girls are pulling it on their daddies because they won't man up! I need to get DH to see...SD15 wants DH to grovel! Like I said, the oldest female trick in the book! You see it all the time...guy does something the girl doesn't like, she walks off and acts like she is ignoring him, he goes begging (usually for a totally different reason)! I don't know how to get DH to see that this is what SD15 is doing, and that she will keep up with the attitude and behavior as long as he keeps falling for it! I can promise you SD15 would act differently if DH just ignored her, and left her sitting by herself! Her need for attention? She wouldn't be able to stand it for long! And when she starts with the "I wanna move with mom" threats (knowing good and well what will happen if she does move back in, if it is even allowed), DH needs to just say, "Fine! Go!" Either she will leave, or she will beg dear daddy to stay! He needs to let her know he will not be manipulated!

My parents NEVER bought my makeup or hair products! Wasn't allowed to wear makeup until I was 16 as it was. At 13, I started babysitting. At 15, I worked a video store that some friends of ours owned. At 16, was working fast food...always taking my happy butt to work on my bike until I saved up for a car! Paid my own gas and insurance...put myself through driver's ed! If my parents were to buy me clothing, I had to live with what they bought me...otherwise, I was buying my own clothes, and they still had to meet my parents rules or they disappeared to the trash! In other words, no skirts above a certain length, no bikini bathing suits, no low cut tops, and no otherwise revealing clothing! This was the way it was until I left home.

Calypso1977's picture

makeup is not a necessity for anyone. the only exception i would make is if perhaps my teen had horrible, horrible acne because you can be picked on pretty bad for that. but i would probably avoid makeup and invest instead in proper treatment.

THANK YOU!!! SD15 does have slight acne, but in all reality, her acne is related to her makeup use and constantly touching her hair...usually only on her forehead! Instead of laying off the makeup or washing her face properly (she regularly falls asleep with makeup on), she would rather we get her expensive Proactive...yes, she asks for it by brand! They see it on TV, and they have to have it! She has flat out been told no...that she can wash her face and lay off the makeup, and her acne whoas will go away for the most part. Other than that, she only gets the occassional 1-2 zits around "that time", and that is such a crisis! She has no idea what it is like to have real acne problems!

Calypso1977's picture

my SD has a penchant for blue eyeshadow. that coupled with her bra hanging out and her short shorts makes her look trampy.

Aniki-Moderator's picture

LOL, my SD does, too! I think she gets it from BioMonster who wears so much blue eyeshadow she makes Mimi from the Drew Carey show look like she's makeup-less.

SD15 does the white eye shadow and the whole black eyeliner cat-eye thing. That is probably why it takes her 2 hours to put on her makeup! When we were on vacation last summer, BD23 commented that SD15 was taking forever...wiping off the eyeline when she didn't get it perfect, doing her eyes again, wiping it off, doing it again! Seriously, girl goes through eyeliner like crazy!

LOL...she probably would never use it!

I still wonder what takes her so freakin' long to get ready in the morning. Yesterday morning, I got her up at 7:00 a.m. to get ready for church. Granted, she had to take a shower, but so did I. I showered, did my hair, brushed my teeth, put on makeup, got dressed, let the dogs out, put water out for the pets, and pulled my music for worship (as it was my day on the praise team). When we were ready to leave, SD15 still was not ready, and was quickly getting into one of her moods because she was "being rushed"! She comes out...no makeup on, hair still wet. So all she accomplished in the same time I did all my stuff was shower and put on clothing...and I hope brush her teeth! We get to church, and she takes off to the bathroom to put on her makeup, which she does every Sunday morning. I couldn't help but ask DH, "If she didn't even put on her makeup, what the heck was she doing for an hour this morning?" All he could say is, "I have no clue!"

Calypso1977's picture

why is she allowed to disappear for an hour at church to put on makeup? id tell her she needs to be ready and if she's not, she's attending church as is.

lintini's picture

at least she's 15....my aunt lets my 11 year old cousin wear makeup and it's all clinque brand! She also just got her eyebrows waxed yesterday at the salon. They posted a picture on facebook. We were like okay....better put her on bithcontrol now while your at it! She also gets a manicure and pedicure every other week. When she does her makeup she does the cat eye liner, all jacked up and uneven, then does purple or blue eyeshadow. She looks like Elvira who got ran over by a big-rig several times and then ran over by a herd of llamas. This makeup subject as been the death of me for my wedding since I was told to have her in my wedding. Don't even let me get into the dress she thought she was going to wear. So disgusting. Thanks to her now if I have a girl as my first child I will know exactly what not to do with her.

Buying hundreds of dollars worth of Clinique makeup for an 11 year old.

She also has just gotten a brand new laptop, the best iphone5 (so she can upload me and my wedding dress pictures to instagram while we were at the fitting---i almost murdered that little bitch for that)itouch,ipad, Oh but she just got a brand new bike because she JUST learned how to ride without training wheels....at age 11. She's being raised into a devil. She's greedy, selfish, spoiled and a miserable little wretch.

Oh wow! I thought SD15 was bad! Can't remember exactly when SD15 started wearing makeup. I'm thinking it was like 12....when she started middle school.

What is it with this expensive makeup for kids? Shoot, I remember scraping out that last little bit of the eyeshadow or powder with a bobbi pin when I could finally wear makeup! Go ing SD15's room, and you see it all only about half used, and she is saying she can't use it any more! Ugh!