You are here

Suggestions would help.

lprp's picture

I have a SD that is 20 yrs old, but mentally is about12-14. We are trying to get her to take on responsibilities on her own without being told. Our issue is that she has no interest what so ever in even trying. On the other hand at school she does wonderful. She is helpful, polite, respectful etc. In a nutshell she is very responsible and respectful. When she comes home she does a 180 and does pretty much nothing. She does the 1 chore she has and that is it. Then all she does it go to her room and zone out on her electronics. Which drives us both crazy cause she in on the m for 4-6 after school. We have tried numerous things to get her to unplug from the electronics with no success.

Any advice how to going about to get her to help out around the house and disconnecting from the electronics?

GhostWhoCooksDinner's picture

Does she have the mind of a 12-14 year old due to a disability, or is she just immature?

lprp's picture

I would say a combo, but some of it is playing the game she likes to play. To see what she can get away with. Some days the immaturity shine through more than thinking like the 12-14 yr old. It seems she just doesn't care, but yet she want to be independent as much as she can. Kinda hard for that to happen if she doesn't show us responsibility

lprp's picture

No she is in a program called Project Search. It is a program with the school and local hospital. They teach kids with disabilities how to be the best they can be by having class time and also internships throughout the hospitals many departments. The goal is to have them all employed by the time the school year is done.

2016ov's picture

I recommend "norton family protection." I have SS16 teen, upload on his all devices and can control everything and block what is not okay, control time, monitor txt, location... If he wants to have the access, he asks me for to do list. Good luck

Rags's picture

Shut off the internet and cable TV, take her phone, and expand her chore list. Pretty simple.

She lives in your home, she follows the rules. Period.

KH4573's picture

Could she have delayed cognitive skills? Like a legitimate mental illness that is un-diagnosed? This sounds a lot like my stepdaughter and she "zones" out every time we get home from anywhere, like it is sensory overload and she must "recharge" or escape reality into her fantasy land to ease her anxieties of the world. It sounds eerily similar to your situation. She has a learned helplessness that irritates my soul. Best of luck