You are here

Hmmm? Why are so many SParents making a life with a failed parent?

Rags's picture

Likely  a mentally unfit bio parent.

Based on my own failed marriage, I think it is at least in part due to a revulsion to failure. Even when it may not be us who are failing, but our partners who are failing.  So many 

I got out of my first marriage pretty much unscathed. Many do not.  I am also fortunate that my marriage to a bio parent has been collaborative, commited, and free of much of what so many have to battle with their mate, their mate's X, and the presence of the progeny of those prior failed couplings.  SImple has worked well for us.  Not due to any specific decion on our parts. It has just worked out to be decidedly less dramatic than most have to deal with the the SParent world.

While the concentration of STalkers that are dealing with a mentally unfit bio parent mate, or a bio parent mate who chose a mentally unfit X to breed with would be generally higher than the general population of SParents, the question remains.  Why so many "mentally unfit bio parents"?  Why do "we" put up with them?

Thoughts?

Rumplestiltskin's picture

To me, a failed parent doesn't have to be a crappy partner. Like, if someone admits that, maybe they had kids too young and mistakes were made. If they own that and do not let the kids or the ex ruin the relationship, they are still possible partner material.

To me, a lot of the partners talked about on this board are just sh!tty partners on top of being failed parents. There is a core personality flaw, usually selfishness or narcissism, that creates failures in all their relationships. There is a lot of cowardice, in failing to set boundaries with exes or kids or even their own families such as toxic MILs. Maybe they themselves thrive on drama and create it, consciously or unconsciously. There's a reason a lot of them were single and available.

It's possible for a person to learn from their mistakes and do better in the future. But - at some point, you have to cut bait when you've repeatedly stated your needs and they still aren't met. A lot of people become too emotionally attached, keep fooling themselves that their partner can change, or are afraid to start over. A lot of women become financially dependent on men, too, and when prince charming turns out to be a poisonous frog, they don't know how they will live on their own. 

AlmostGone834's picture

I personally put it down to ignorance. I was in my 20s and looking for someone who was mature and stable (plus my husband is generally a pretty nice guy). I truly could not fathom the depths of step hell that awaited me however. Crazy BMs, unparented children, $ flying out the door... etc etc. It just never occurred to me that there would be all these problems. Looking back, had Little Idiot been younger when I met DH, our marriage would not have survived. Being a stepparent has taught me that I'm really not cut out to raise children. Thankfully, DH doesn't seem to interested in being a terribly involved father either (he doesn't even text her except to say "Happy Birthday" and maybe ask if she's coming for Christmas) so it's worked out for us. He is really enjoying his low-stress, child-free life with our pets these days. 

Kaylee's picture

My ex, although a nice guy, was not a good parent to his daughter.

He totally enabled her and this was the major contributor to her failure to launch. Good parenting means equipping your children with the tools to be independent and make a go of it in life. I used to try and explain this to him but his stock response was

"I don't want any hassle. I just go to work, come home, mind my own business, then go back to work the next day"

Total cop out.  Too scared to confront the situation and do the hard yards to make his daughter independent.

Rags's picture

continue to couple with someone who fails as a parent then keeps that failure present in a marriage without resolving the associated issues and continuing to allow those failures to invade and be a detriment to their spouse's life.

Full disclosuer, I am feeling a bit less than right now.  Though we are fine on one income, by design we have always set our lifestyle to less than one full income so we can invest for retirment, have a crisis nest egg, and living reasonably well, not having an income is gutting me a bit and I am feeling, yes I said feeling, guilty about being once again between roles. This is the third time in our nearly 29yr marriage. I do not like it.

Though, I am excited about our upcoming week vacation with our kid.  

An interesting thing that makes me go hmmmmm, is that I seem to find myself between roles not long before a vacation that has been on the books for us for 1-2yrs.  It happened just before our 25yr anniversary trip the second time I was between jobs. This time it happened 2wks before our Hawaii trip with the Skid and our very close friends.

Though not a parental failure, right now I am not feeling like the partner I want bo be and usually am.

ESMOD's picture

A lot of first marriages can fail.. due to immaturity.. due to rose colored glasses.. and due to the fact that a LOT of people are just not very nice people.

2nd marriages?  well.. the chance that you end up hooking up with someone who is not a very good or nice person.. goes up.. and the possibility that YOU are not nice or good does too.  Then there is the potential baggage and history that has to be dealt with.  And.. kids?.. those are whole human beings with their own issues and impacts right? 

I mean.. I see situations on this site where the SP has married someone that is not only a poor parent.. but a poor partner.. that treats their partner terribly.. and the children fall in line there.. often a HC EX is involved.

I also see situations where the SP is just not a nice person either.. maybe justifiably or not in reaction to a child that was not parented well.. or a HC EX.. or just had some fairy tale that they would ride off into the sunset and have their "new" little family and don't like the Ick of the old kids or EX having any impact.

As far as many of the "poor parent" situations here.. a lot of time it's the father we are talking about.. and gender roles do feed into that.. most often the mothers are the one doing the primary raising of the kids.. and the dad's just don't have much of a clue.. and then there is the fact that father's custody is often less.. which means they are the ones that are afraid if they aren't fun enough.. easy going enough.. that the kids won't come.  If they don't bend for BM.. she will withhold the kids. etc.. Kids figure out the paths of least resistance.. and when a new SM comes into the picture.. tries to instill all these new rules and  boundaries? is it any wonder the kids resent it.. even if dad IS on board. with the changes.. it doesn't take a rocket surgeon to see who the one is that brought these new and TBH.. unfun changes to the house.  (like responsiblilty and chores are good for a kid's development.. but fun..uh no).

Then you throw in human nature.. a woman not liking to see another woman "mothering" their children.. it's not a good situational place for kids to be raised honestly.

And.. there are a good number of people on this site.. (or their spouses).. that probably should not have been in relationships based on their situations.. the red flags abound.

Harry's picture

People who have children, For what ever reason. Then feel divorcing is a good way out. Instead of staying and trying to. Give the kids a normal life.  Then these people divorced find another partner and think that partner wants a happy family with SK,  The BF. One they had kids with, is doing nothing, but new SP should do all.

Therr is just something wrong with this thinking. In my case my DW was a SM for five years and did nothing with SK.  They did not sleep over, did not ever go anywhere I.e amusement park, fair. That was OK in her eyes. Had reason. Appartment to small.  You have four SK but get one bed room apartment ?  
But with me,   I havd SK 24/7/365. That's was OK. BF did nothing. But I didn't do enough? 
In all the years and haveing a normal discussion, she could never see the difference, That if it was OK for her Why wasn't it OK for me.

i did for my SK, don't get me wrong. Amusement parks, Disney World, Vacations  at home 24/7/365.  But I always didn't do enough.  There has  be something wrong with that thinking.  Just makes me wonder if they are out of it in first marriage too

Exjuliemccoy's picture

I think a lot of single parents are back on the market FOR GOOD REASON, and people seeking partners should proceed with extreme caution when vetting one. Instead of portraying them as noble people struggling to raise their kids, maybe we should slap a "Huge baggage, buyer beware" on them.

But that's speaks to another problem - the overall dearth/blackout of information about the pitfalls associated with step life. The Single Parent Complex needs fresh meat with financial resouces and labor to keep it afloat, so it's up to us SPs to get the truth out.

Rumplestiltskin's picture

I agree. We have to support each other. My brother-in-law is a childfree stepparent. I had to speak up to my sister and my dad and tell them that some of their expectations on BIL were unreasonable. He was ready to walk due to some of the boundary issues with my ex BIL and even my well-meaning dad. There was literally nobody in his corner and a lot of "suck it up, be a man." 

Harry's picture

Unless you live it,  You really can't understand it.  Plus there bate and switch.  When dating everything is really good. Once you get into the relationship, your status in the family goes down fast.  From the numbe one person to the servant.

That your life gets controlled by " for the kids". The " kids didn't asked to be born". Kids " didn't ask for the divorce "  

That why most SP will never do it again, Never get themselves in a disfuctional relationship again 

Rags's picture

For me, I think the foundation of success of my blended family marriage is... the example my parents set.

There has never  been any question that Dad's wife is his priority just as Mom's husband is hers.  They love their boys beyond measuer and raising us was their top responsibiity, but... we never were allowed to come between mom and dad or remove either of them or their marriage from the pinnacle priority position.  That message was crystal clear... always.

I have just followed their example.  Fortunately, DW was raised similarly and we have partnered in our marriage based on that model

. SS-30 has benefited in his independent adult life from that history. At least on the quality side of his gene pool and blended family equation.

Harry's picture

DW married her ex. He was such a loser,  could never understand how she could not see it. He was a man who had four kids, divorced his wife and move 2000 miles away. For no good reason except he wanted to move.  Never seeing his kids.  Didn't want to pay CS. Was made to.  CS or jail.  They didn't have the SK at there wedding.

Returned rented a one bedroom apartment, So no SK visitation, no place for them to sleep.  Never took them anywhere, place.  As an amusement park.  Never payed CS for the kids he had with DW, never took them, was never could stop drinking, needed a drink at 9 am.  DW would call police for a DWI check.  But in Sparent land I was the bad guy.  I didn't do enough 

I never had a real problem with my SK. The problem was with my DW.  I had them 24/7/365. No one would take them.  Just needed adult time and that was a problem.  That was asking too much.  It cost more for the babysitter then going to dinner someplace.  Yes I had to pay for a babysitter if I wanted to go out