You are here

vacation help help help

help123's picture

please please help!!!!
so tired of stressing over this.

I have a daughter (10) her father passed away (its just me supporting her)
my common law husband has 2 kids (12) & (12) their mother is in the picture and we share 50/50

2 years ago we all went on a family vacation, me dh and all kids.

this year the mother is taking the kids away in January- which is ok- she is the mother!

I want to go away in April- me, my daughter and dh (step kids wont come since they are getting a vacation with their mom and their step father)

my dh has issues with this, doesn't feel comfortable going away without his kids!!!!!!!!

when I had a chance (few times) to go away with my child and friends he said that's not fair and he doesn't feel comfortable taking separate vacations!!!!

then out of the blue he says maybe you should just take her with ur friends!!!!!!!!!!!!

I questioned him, asking if we had a baby together would u come with us or say the same?????
he saw my point and appoligized and said yes me, my kid and him will go away too!
he asked if we can go away in January!!! right off the bat I said NO- I have so many expenses in November and its right before Christmas- there is just no way I can do that. and why do I have to go around his ex wife's schedule? he just thinks its much easier if we all go at the same time so his kids wont be sad in the month that I want to go in (April)
now he is just not sure if he wants to go..... I need an answer, I told him are we a family or not? is this fair to my child???? do I tell her he doesn't want to come? plus I will feel safer if he is with us!
the way I look at it, all kids are getting a vacation! in a perfect world we would always take all kids, financially we can't- we just bought a house a year ago! I have always taken my child on vacations in the past and his kids use that against her saying she has been to way many places then they have so they should be entitled to more ( vacation with all of us was the first time they have ever been anywhere)

I hate stressing over this- what if my child was his, would his reaction still be the same? now if for some reason he does come i'm going to feel like crap thinking his mind is somewhere else!!! yes he is in a difficult situation- I know that- but will I and my child always be pushed to the side cause she is not his child..... we already do more fun things only when his kids are with us, when they are not with us their mom does things with them- mine is home! this is actually driving me nuts- we try to do even things and be fair- I just don't think this is working out.

please tell me what to do!

Disneyfan's picture

Take your daughter on the trip and enjoy yourself.

If I had minor kids, I would hate the idea going on vacation with my SKs while leaving my BKs behind.

savemysanity's picture

I struggle with this, too. I have three kids. SO has three kids. SKs always get fabulous vacations with their grandparents and extended families, while my children get nothing because we can't afford a vacation for EIGHT people. What IS fair? If SO and I went somewhere with my kids, and didn't take SKs, I'm sure there would be HELL to pay.

StayingDisengaged's picture

We have a similar situation. I have two kids, DH has three. We've never been able to take all five on a vacation together and it always seems to be just DH's kids that go with us, as mine seldom see their dad unless it's summer so they're rarely around to take along during the summer. Things have changed as the kids have gotten older and mine don't want to go to BD's this summer (last summer of high school, senior year starts in the fall). DH's kids don't want to come see us either, so we've decided that we're just taking my two on a vacation this summer and aren't even inviting DH's kids. We've been married for almost ten years so it's not like they've never been anywhere with us. Quite the opposite - seems like my two are always getting the short end of the stick.

It sucks no matter which way you slice it. Someone is always getting left out or seeming to get more and better than someone else. I'm hoping that our efforts to always be fair will be good enough even if we haven't always been able to pull it off. Maybe all this will be some sort of life lesson about how things aren't always fair.

Willow2010's picture

Either take your kid alone, without DH, or take skids and DH.

Look at it this way ... what if DH said he wanted you and HIS kids to go on vacation but your son could not go.

Edit to add..I do understand. I would NEVER go on vacation with my SS. I would just go alone or not at all.

Jerseymommy's picture

My husband refused to go for vacation without his son for years. Vacation is supposed to be relaxing, and SS13 is so problematic, every vacation was about him. He is having behavioral issues, social disability, so all of my vacations was messed up.
I started to plan for an extra week of vacation when he was with BM. My husband felt very offended by that, and he felt so guilty, and sad about to enjoy things without his son. But than it turned out that we had our best memories when he wasn't around. My BS is two years older, and cause no problems ever. But my husband never told him we was on a vacation without him.
Last year he found out we was on the beach on the weekend he is not with us, and got so mad and jealous that we had fun without him.
His mother also told him that we shouldn't go to the beach without him.
But since we got a 'surprise' baby together, who is 2,5 and begging to go to the beach, my husband can't say no to him.
The little guy not going to wait for his half brother to arrive, he and all of us have the right to enjoy life without him.
So having a baby together does change things. My husband feel less guilty, and we feel more like a family to him.
We had years of struggles about this. But I also disengaged recently, and do not count with my SS13 for anything.
Last year I refused to go with him for vacation all together. Life is much better like that.

help123's picture

I understand he is in a bad and difficult situation/ his kids are going on a vacation- they will have a blast, kids love vacations- they will come home and tell my child all about it- again that's what kids do/ mine will feel bad- understandable.

when we got in this relationship we knew there would be ups and downs! its hard to make everyone happy.

his kids will always have the mom to take them places etc

my kid doesn't have a dad to take her away ( and if he was alive and took her on vacation, I would have no problem going on a vacation with just him and step kids)

like I said, everyone is getting a vacation/ everyone should be happy- I cannot or like to feel like we are nothing to him and he doesn't need to come with us- thought we were a family!

I would never say hon lets go away with just me and my kid and leave ur kids behind!!! NEVER!!!! I think all kids would have a better vacation when they have together to play with~ the only reason I am saying lets go away just us is because they are going on a vacation with their mom, since my kid has no dad to take her I feel like we are responsible to take her with us! I am not going to put my self in a hole by going in jan where I know I just can't!

Disneyfan's picture

OP, your child is his SK. He isn't responsible for taking her on vacation(or doing anything for her). Just as you aren't responsible for taking his.

Even if you manage to talk him into going, do you really want to spend that time with someone who doesn't want to be there?

Do you have family members or friends with girls your daughter's age? If so, why not invite them on the trip.