You are here

Update to Overwhelmed/Scared: FDH pursuing custody

Madam Hedgehog's picture

Well, I had a little melt down and cried a couple hours ago. Then I had a cape cod. FDH cuddled me and told me what he'd been thinking about. I feel much better.

He's going for some measure of custody no matter what. I have mixed feelings about this. Thankfully, he has a court docket somewhere to prove that he tried to get custody/visitation before, but apparently she moved to Texas before he could do much. This is the first time she and the kid have been back in our state in over a decade (since right after step son was born, actually).

Several people in his hometown are looking into the child abuse issue. If that comes up a zero, he's going to press for a paternity test so he can get visitation.

So . . . third step-son here I come. Sometimes I wish I'd had three to five kids by other men so he'd know what this feels like. I just feel so out of control and surrounded by evidence that FDH has had sex with other people. I know that's not fair to the kids, especially since the kids (SS5 and SS2) are such cool litte guys. If their mom didn't show up all the time I'd probably feel differently. I don't know. It's nuts to be mad at him for things he did before we even met, but I am. I just want to tell him: "I could have repopulated the Southwest too, you know!"

Ugh. Not fair and I'm totally panicking. I do NOT know how to handle a teenage step-son, though. I'm not old enough to have a teenager myself, let alone a teenager raised by some crazy religious fanatic.

I'm religious to some extent in my own way, but apparently the whole reason the mom refused to let FDH have anything to do with his son is because he refused to marry her when she got pregnant. Her church threatened to kick her out for being a sinner, so she cut FDH out, and everyone has been lying to the kid and telling him he's adopted. I have no idea how depriving a child of his father and lying to him works into christianity, but this poor kid is going to have serious serious problems. And I know we have to help if we can. I'm just . . . overwhelmed.

Anon2009's picture

Many (((HUGS))) and prayers to all of you.

Glad to know FDH's family is looking into the possible abuse going on. Take things with the new FSS slowly (this goes for FDH too). This child could probably benefit from counseling, and a good therapist can help reunite FSS and FDH. He should ask in court that the child get counseling.

Madam Hedgehog's picture

Anon,

Thanks for the quick response. I have actually already been thinking about the counseling issue. It's a good idea, and possibly something we can't go without at this point. I think it will be easy for me to take things slowly with him when we get there, but I know it will be hard for FDH. I'm sure he feels like he has to make up for a decade of missed parenting, but I'm sure that will feel overwhelming from a complete stranger. FDH has had the advantage of knowing that his son exists, how old he is, and some people occasionally sharing pictures. FSS has been kept completely in the dark. Poor guy. I'm so angry on his behalf. There was no cause for this. FDH is a wonderful person. He's successful. He's an awesome father. I'm sort of heatbroken that a kid was forced to go without that just because his mother is a control freak.