You are here

"Since They're Not You're Kids...."

DivorcedYoungInfertileStep's picture

:jawdrop: I literally got into a fight with my coworker at work for saying this the other day. I have been married to my DH for two years. We have full custody of his little girls- whose BM is in California doing whatever the hell she wants to do. We got an email from our job saying that they are permitting us two paid hours of leave to go with our children to the first day of school. She said she wasn't sure i'd truly be interested since they weren't really my kids. It's bad enough this coworker throws in my face her horribly behaved children constantly. I am divorced, had a wedding called off and I had cervical cancer- i've got a quarter of an ovary. My chances of having a child are slim to none. My stepdaughters are my only shot at having children and she had the nerve to say that. And then not understand why or how she was wrong.

It's beyond me how some people still don't realize that giving birth does not make you a parent.

MacMom's picture

What an insensitive thing for her to say - we didn't give birth to them, but they still live in our hearts. I'm happy for you that you have full custody. Smile

thank you! Her BM is a total skank. Doesn't even pay child support. She's on her way to jail. And good riddens!

Smomof3's picture

I can't have children of my own either and several of my friends and family have made this comment. It's hurtful and people are tactless.

herewegoagain's picture

Ah, there are some crazy people out there. Sorry, just stay away from her.

Smomof3's picture

By the way...a person in our H/R department one time asked me who's "fault" it was that I couldn't get pregnant.

mama_althea's picture

IF you get the opportunity again, say something like this, in a shocked, hurt tone, "So then you mean because I'm adopted and my mother didn't give birth to me, she doesn't really care about me? I had no idea (sniff, sniff)".