You are here

They have taken over my home and I feel bullied

lily625's picture

I became pregnant in the fall of last year after I had only met BF’s 10 year old son a few times. I usually like kids, and I didn’t mind his son at first, and I also figured I had to try because of the baby on the way. The more I got to know him, the more I disliked him. My friend is convinced the boy has a form of Asperger’s, but honestly I think he’s just been a spoiled brat his whole life, was never taught how to act and there’s nothing actually wrong with him. I can’t stand the annoying little jerk.

BF is a sales rep and travels a lot. He lived with his parents because he needed help taking care of his son while he was working. He has custody and the mother gets him on the weekends. In the spring after I realized I was never going to like the kid or even tolerate him, I told him things were not going to work out, and I didn’t want him moving in with me. He had been talking about moving in with me after school let out, and I was not going to end up stuck with a kid I didn’t want anything to do with. I made it very clear if he wanted to live with me and the baby that his kid would have to go live with his mother, I did not want him in my house.

Well, school let out after the first week of June and the baby was due in a month and I couldn’t use stairs anymore. I have an office/guest room that had all my important things in it. I basically used it as a “Woman Cave” for lack of a better word. While I was at work BF boxed up all my things so he could give that room to his kid, after I had told him to leave it alone, because he knew I couldn’t use stairs and wouldn’t notice. That room had my grandmother’s bed in it, and the dresser that was my dad’s when he was a kid and then was mine since I was a baby. I came home from work on a Friday and surprise! They were both there with all their things. They still moved right in after I had said no. He gave his kid my room and my furniture, the kid now calls it “his room, and his bed” and that makes my blood boil every time I hear it. No. Just no. I have no idea where my things are any more. Everything that meant the most to me was in there. Packed in a box somewhere. I feel like my maternity leave and time I had to spend with my newborn were ruined by this kid and I will never get that time with my son back.

When they first moved in, I had to deal with lights left on, TV left on, cabinet doors left open, trash and toys everywhere, the gate to the basement stairs left open (it was for the dog, now it’s a necessity with the baby, the constant forgetting to close it is dangerous for the baby), and every single rule I have was broken. That is a lot to deal with for someone who is used to living alone and having a spotless house. The kid would take over my TV for the entire day with his games. He plays games that have a 17 year old rating and I have said he can’t play them here, he needs to play age appropriate games, and I get ignored by him and his father. He was used to being babied by his grandparents and was allowed to do whatever he wanted. Last Easter, I had bought him an Easter basket with books and games in it and it sat for months, he never touched any of it. He would rather sit in front of the TV and play video games. I packed it up for my baby when he gets older and swore I would never buy that kid another thing. He would leave the bathroom light on at night to sleep, as well as having 2 nightlights. He’s 10. I finally put my foot down over the bathroom light. It’s absurd. He also sleeps with little stuffed animals that he takes to school with him in his backpack on Fridays so that he has them to sleep with at his mother’s. I’m afraid the other kids would make fun of him if they found out. The kid is absent-minded, lazy, spoiled, doesn’t listen- it just goes in one ear and out the other, has absolutely no common sense, and acts half his age. He was never taught any manners or social skills and can’t entertain himself like a normal kid would. He has to be told to do basic things like sit down, or he will just stand there and stare. He has no respect for me or my things, or my home, and can’t remember basic, simple rules after months of being told. Sometimes I swear to God if I hear “I forgot” one more time I’m going to lose it. He has no concept of appropriate behavior. He is constantly sick and getting my baby sick. My dog runs from him and one of my cats hisses at him. This is their home and they aren’t happy either. He doesn’t interact with his baby brother at all, and just stands there looking at him awkwardly when his father tells him to play with his brother. The baby was sleeping one day and my parents were visiting, and we were all outside for a few minutes discussing some improvements I wanted to make on the house. I went in the house and the baby was screaming, that kid was in the next room playing with his toys and completely ignoring him. I was never so angry in all my life. My neighbor’s 7-year old son plays with the baby and takes care of him more than his own brother does. My best friends daughter refuses to come to my house anymore, she says he’s creepy and weird and makes her uncomfortable, and I would have to agree with her, he is creepy and weird. When the baby was smaller, I would just take him and hide in my bedroom to get away from the kid. The baby is almost 10 months old now though and needs more room to play, and I can’t really do that anymore. I’m never happy and I don’t want my baby to think his mom’s always mean and grumpy, so I try to hide it from him the best I can. His father makes excuses for him and tries to say he’s only 10. Yes he is 10 and I expect him to act like it, not a toddler that he acts like.

BF goes and leaves for work for days at a time and leaves the kid with me. Just expects me to watch him, even after I have said "no" I don’t know how many times. If he can’t take care of him himself then he shouldn’t have the kid. I’m not a babysitter. Not my kid, not my problem. If he’s away on a Sunday he will send me a text telling me I need to go pick kid up. HELL NO. I refuse to do that too. Why the hell would I do that when I don’t want to watch him to begin with? The mother can bring him or keep him, I don’t give a shit. Absolutely not my job. I wish she would keep him. While he’s away the kid gets back from school and I find myself wishing I could just leave the door locked. I can’t even bring myself to say “home from school”, because my house is not his home. After work when I get the baby from the babysitter, I want to get my baby and leave that stupid kid there. I have contemplated many times just calling his mother to come and get him. Even when his father is there I am in a bad mood and miserable constantly. I can’t stand to look at the kid or hear his voice. Sometimes I want to grab him and throw him outside and lock the door. I have always been a calm person and have never felt this kind of rage before. I hate feeling that way. I try to leave for work in the morning before he finishes getting ready for school so I don’t have to see him, and I don’t even want to come home at night. I have to sit at my desk and talk myself into leaving work. The only reason I do is because of my baby, if it weren’t for him, I would just stay there until late, and then I end up crying the whole drive home. I usually cry myself to sleep as well. My blood pressure was always normal, recently it has been high because I’m so stressed. I have told him countless times the kid needs to go live with his mother. I told him not to enroll him in school here when last summer was over, he did it anyway. He knows I don’t want this kid yet he still spends money on a lawyer so he can keep custody because the kid’s mother wants him too. Now he wants me to go and testify to the judge so the kid can stay. Absolutely not, I have refused so far. He says she doesn’t want him, she only wants child support. I don’t care if the woman only wants the kid for the child support. I don’t want the kid either.

I’m not changing my mind. I’m not staying in a situation that makes me this miserable. I am not living with that kid. I’m not signing up for something I don’t want, and I didn’t, I told him not to bring him here. It is not my fault he ignored me. He shouldn’t have brought him here and he had no business putting him in my room. You can’t push a kid onto someone who doesn’t want him. He isn’t mine, he isn’t my responsibility, I don’t like him, I don’t want anything to do with him. I’m never going to like him. I don’t even tolerate him. I can’t stand being in the same room as him. The only days I’m somewhat happy are Fridays and Saturdays, and I hate Sundays. I wake up so angry. Yet he always goes and gets him and brings him back, no matter how mad I get. I have so much hate and anger built up toward him for pushing a kid on to me that I don’t like or want. I don't know what he thinks "No" means or "I'm done" means, but I've been saying both of them for months and it certainly doesn't mean maybe or I'll eventually change my mind if he keeps forcing me into it.

I’m not settling for a life like this. I’ve actually told him the kid goes or you both do. If I let him stay without the kid though and custody gets reversed, then I’m stuck with the kid on weekends. I don’t want him here during the week, I sure as hell don’t want him ruining my weekends, that would be even worse than the weeks. His dad is gone a lot of weekends too and I would be stuck with him alone. How do I get that kid out of my home? I have put my foot down so many times. I have told him if you keep bringing him back here then you and I are going to be finished and you’re both going. I’m done with this shit and I mean it. I get ignored, but I have absolutely had enough. It’s my home, I can’t leave. If it were the other way around and I lived with him I would have taken the baby and left long ago. I feel so used and bullied and I don’t know what to do. I need to figure out how to enforce what I say. I really don’t care what I have to do to never have to see that kid again.

hereiam's picture

I didn't even read anything after you wrote that he moved in on you, after you told him that you didn't want him moving in.

Let me repeat that, the man moved himself and his kid into your home, against your wishes.

KICK THEM OUT.

ESMOD's picture

I agree^^^

They moved in against your will? Um no.

By the way, you really don't get to tell a guy to shove his other kid off on his mom. If your idea was that you said HE could move in without his son, you aren't realistic.

Unfortunately, if he disregards your wishes so quickly.. yes... get down to court and start filling out paperwork so you will get child support.

You should also rent yourself out as a posterchild for not getting pregnant by someone you barely knew. A cautionary tale if you will.

Acratopotes's picture

Also agree....

he simply moved in after you dais no..... when he's gone, pack his shit and put it outside, simply tell him, I never said you can move in, pack SS in the car with all his shit and drop him of at his grand parents house,

if you are nice... drop SS and all their belongings off..

but I would like to know... when he simply moved in, why did you not call the police to remove him?

ChiefGrownup's picture

Call up the bm's lawyer and offer to do an affidavit. In it state that this man and his child are living in your house against your will. You intend to start formal eviction proceedings or call the police if you have to as soon as you are strong enough.

That will both end the custody case and get him out of your house.

There's nothing to hold on to here, your "relationship" was over the day he snuck that kid and himself into your house.

SM12's picture

WOW! That's a lot of anger. Not judging as I totally get it. I felt the same way when my DH would bring his spawn over and expect me to watch them while he worked. Ummm NO darling, Not my problem.
I want to recommend two things. 1) Go get checked out for Post partum depression. I think your circumstances may warrant a little help considering all you are dealing with and having just had a baby. Nothing wrong with getting checked out.

2) Pack up BF's things and his kids things and drop them off am BF's Mom's house next time he is out of town. You said you BF Moved in without your permission? Well then you can move him out without his permission. If he leaves his BS home with you while he is gone, just take him to BM or to Grandma.

The reason your BF isn't respecting your wishes is because you haven't given him any consequences for ignoring your wishes. You bark but don't bite.
You tell him NO, he does it anyway and nothing happens.
Personally I wouldn't live like that and I understand why you are livid.

Pack his crap, change the locks and put his crap out on the lawn or take it to his Mom's house. She clearly took care of the kid before you came along, let her keep doing it.

Rags's picture

Time to rekey locks and make sure you have full physical and legal custody of you rown child firmly in hand with the courts. Nail this asshole to the wall for piles of CS.

Protect yourself and your child from this shallow and polluted gene pool as much as possible.

Good luck.

SMforever's picture

The main problem isn't the kid, it's the BF. You need to kick him out, then file for child support.

Just because you made a child with him, it doesn't mean it's best to stay with him.

Your challenge is you need to get organised and move them out. If you don't think they will go willingly, do what is necessary to avoid a confrontation. Move his stuff while he's out of town. Get some help help to physically move his stuff to wherever...then change the locks.

I had to do this with a cheating partner. I waited until a day when he was working and I was not. As soon as he left in the morning, I had a locksmith come over and paid him to change the deadbolts. Locksmith said it happens all the time...

Then I had his stuff delivered in bags to his GF's place, and sent him a text to not bother coming back. Then I blocked his number. When he came by and banged on the door I called the cops. They heard both sides and told him not to bother me any more.

You know your relationship needs to end. Do,what is best for you and your child. Lots of us have done fine as single mothers.

Java_Junkie's picture

Uhh. Wow. Yeah, this part:

Well, school let out after the first week of June and the baby was due in a month and I couldn’t use stairs anymore. I have an office/guest room that had all my important things in it. I basically used it as a “Woman Cave” for lack of a better word. While I was at work BF boxed up all my things so he could give that room to his kid, after I had told him to leave it alone, because he knew I couldn’t use stairs and wouldn’t notice. That room had my grandmother’s bed in it, and the dresser that was my dad’s when he was a kid and then was mine since I was a baby. I came home from work on a Friday and surprise! They were both there with all their things. They still moved right in after I had said no. He gave his kid my room and my furniture, the kid now calls it “his room, and his bed” and that makes my blood boil every time I hear it. No. Just no. I have no idea where my things are any more. Everything that meant the most to me was in there. Packed in a box somewhere. I feel like my maternity leave and time I had to spend with my newborn were ruined by this kid and I will never get that time with my son back.

Nope. Where I come from, we'd call folks like that, "squatters." I hate to state the obvious, but it's time to insist he and his kid be gone, and pronto.

pinkb's picture

Hi Lily,

First, I'm SO sorry you are going through this. But, on a happier note, you will find a lot of support here. And, based on your situation at home... there's no where to go but up.

Even if your BF is a super duper guy, fantastic provider, great to be around (and those are all "IFs") this is all around WRONG.

Bonuses for BF: 1) Doesn't have to live with Mom and Dad, 2) Has his "own place" (HA!), 3) Has a free babysitter when he travels, 4) Has free carpool service for his child, 4) Leaves any sort of discipline to you (not that I recommend this, but Dad's not doing it so at some point either you will or you'll go crazy with the unruliness of (what used to be) your organized home), 5) He gets to see his new baby whenever he's home and both kids often when he's home.
Negatives for BF: Ummmm... can't think of any

Bonuses for you: 1) You get to live with your boyfriend who you love for a few carefree days a month... which don't sound all that carefree because he continues to disrespect you
Negatives for you: 1) Your boyfriend doesn't respect you enough to give you the option of moving his kid in... he just does it. (BAD BAD), 2) Your house is a circus and it's making you nuts, 3) The kid has never had rules or boundaries and it's not likely going to change now, 4) Bye bye office/guest room, 5) What (probably little) is left of your free time is "parenting" a child you can't stand (and BTW... don't expect BF to respect any boundaries you set with the kid while he's traveling when he gets home... ain't gonna happen)

GET THEM OUT NOW!

Proposed plan of action
1) Give BF a hard deadline (2 weeks MAX) to get the kid out... agree to a few days a month (or whatever you can tolerate). Kid can stay in the GUEST room (to be restored to it's original glory) as he's a GUEST. This is not his permanent home.
2) If getting the kid out is not amenable to BF (chances are it won't be... life is just too easy for BOTH of them right now and they are going to want to believe you are bluffing) you'll either know it immediately (during the first discussion) or he'll think you're bluffing and 2 weeks in there will be no movement and he'll expect you to *forget*. YOU WILL NOT FORGET.
3) 2 days before DEADLINE, remind BF that the deadline is approaching and if he can't respect your wishes to remove his disrespectful child from your home NEITHER of them is welcome. And, let him know on DEADLINE day you will be changing the locks... he will bitch, moan, whine, plead. That's bullshit. You gave him plenty of notice.
4) Change the locks and carry on with your life... he can have visitation to the child you share together.
5) Choose to stay with him in separate residences or if he can find other arrangements for his son.

I truly hope that this has a happy ending for you but start being prepared that it might not.

Having moved in with my husband when he had partial custody of my SS15 and having lived with him until he was 18. With, like your situation, no discipline, no rules that were ever expected to be followed, no respect for my property, no chores, no consequences, no curfew and and and... it's only going to get worse as he moves into his teenage years unless you firmly put your foot down now. Thankfully, we had a (mostly) happy ending but not until the kid was over 20yo. Can you take 10 more years of this?

But, you have to be ready to hold your ground and stick to the law you put forward. To be honest, I personally think that moving the kid in when you CLEARLY said "NO" is foreshadowing of a life with this man.

Is he worth it?

CLove's picture

In your post, you have mentioned that you have said X,Y,Z several times and been completely ignored. You say you are done, that's it, period. I wonder if you really are done and able to TAKE those very necessary steps. Folks here have some great suggestions, you need to confidence to follow the necessary steps. Change the locks, give deadlines, whatever you decide you need to follow through - get someone to help you, cheer you on, whatever it will take. This is a free country thus far, and no one should be a prisoner in their own home or in a relationship.

If you are afraid of BF's anger, obtain a restraining order. Whatever you decide just DO IT. Do not let your anger consume you.

bd-sm's picture

He ditches his kid at your house then goes off to work for a few days at a time?

I'd call CPS and report that an abandoned child has turned up on my property.

Not sorry.

bd-sm's picture

He ditches his kid at your house then goes off to work for a few days at a time?

I'd call CPS and report that an abandoned child has turned up on my property.

Not sorry.

ETexasMom's picture

This isn't a kid problem. It's a man problem! He has no respect for you and is using you. Kick him to the curb.

princessmofo's picture

Next time he's gone, change the locks. Box up his shit and have it delivered to his parent's house. And get a lawyer.

kidsaplenty's picture

Kick him out, he will very likely get half custody of the baby and whichever one of you makes more may pay the other a little bit of child support. He isn't likely to give up on the baby anymore then his son he already has. This does not sound like the right relationship for you. Raise your baby half the time in peace and the other boy needs to be in situation where he can live with someone who does not despise him too.

lily625's picture

Fall 2015, My little one was born last summer, June 2016, 3 weeks after they moved in, which was why I could no longer use stairs, the little guy was 9lbs 4oz when he was born, I was barely getting around at that point. He's almost 10 months old now, and I've been stuck with them since. We dated for about 4 months before I met his son, I should have specified that. I was taking birth control pills consistently, but that .1% percent chance happened. BF was great at first, so I never really saw any of this coming, but the kid is a horrible monster, growing up dictating what he and everyone around him does, he was in charge at his house.. I was not going to deal with that, especially when I knew his father travels so much for work and I would be stuck with him. We weren't even "together", when he moved in, I had told him it wasn't going to work out and he couldn't move in with me. He said he wanted to try to make it work and wanted us all to be a family. Now he refuses to leave after I tell him to all the time. I need to take everyone's advice, grow a pair, and get him out. I'll admit I have always been a very shy person, I don't do well with conflict, and I am a pushover and easy to bully. But I just can't deal with this anymore.

ChiefGrownup's picture

Do the affidavit for the opposing lawyer. Next time you say "no" this man/boarder will believe you. You will need this for several decades to come as you have to deal with him being baby's father.

It'll be very easy. Much easier than continuing to have the fruitless confrontations you are having now. Pick up the phone and call atty. They will treat you like royalty. Within a week or two he will find out and leave your house in a huff. Problem solved. And he will be more careful in future about trying to push you around.

lily625's picture

This seems like my best bet. So far I have refused to have anything to do with this, so I have no idea who her attorney is, I will have to find a way to find out. I have never spoken much to the woman, so I don't know about just calling the mother up and asking for her attorney's info, but if that's my only option at this point I will do it. The woman seems perfectly fine and capable of taking care of her own kid to me. What would happen if I asked her to just come and get him while he is gone? You would think they would want him with someone who wants him instead of someone who doesn't even tolerate him when his father is always gone. Its so frustrating that his grandparents and his mother want him, and I don't and I'm the one stuck with him. The reason he was awarded full custody is because she just walked out 5 years ago and left her son there with him, so the courts considered it abandonment, even though she left him with her husband. I am starting to completely understand why she left and got a divorce if he bullied her like this too, but the difference between me and her is hell would freeze over before I would ever leave my son behind.

ChiefGrownup's picture

Go to your county's court website. Run your guy's name through it. If you don't find the case then run bm's name through it. You should be able to find the case. The attorneys should be listed.

Don't ask her directly to pick up the boy. She could get herself in trouble for custodial interference.

If you really can't find the attorney after some effort and calls, call bm directly and tell her what you want to say on the record. She should be glad to give you the attorney's info pronto.

lily625's picture

BINGO! There is a light at the end of the tunnel after all. Thank you so much! So what is wrong with me that I feel guilty about this with as miserable as I am? Oh well. The boy needs to be with his mother and not dumped on another woman when his father is usually gone 5 or more days of the week and not there to see him anyway. I'll ask the attorney what to do with the boy as well. His father is home now because of Easter but is leaving again Monday morning and will be gone for 2 weeks. I don't want to take him to his grandparents, because they raised him and are the reason he is the way he is. As much as I don't like him I do recognize it isn't a 10yr old's fault they are a rotten brat and if he ever has a chance of turning things around and growing up to be a likeable human being that is not going to happen by dumping him back with the grandparents.

ChiefGrownup's picture

Let the attorneys guide you. But really I would drop him off at grandma's anyway. This boy is not yours to raise. This is what all stepparents (except for a few unicorns like Rags) eventually learn even in the best of marriages (which yours is certainly not).

You have to let go. You will likely only ever see this boy through his mother ever again. Birthdays and graduations, etc. cuz your child is his brother. But dad won't want you around any more which is AWESOME. So you will be his 2 week babysitter at best for one last hurrah. Better to take him to grandma's and concentrate on your own child and begin your new life.

lily625's picture

So, I spoke with the attorney and mother. She has the boy right now for the weekend but has to let his father bring him back on Sunday. I have 2 options, I can take him back to his mother's myself on Monday, which she will then need to notify the police that he has been returned to her so that she doesn't get in trouble, and I can stay there and give a statement that I am the one who returned him, which I don't have to do this, but it would be helpful for her if I did. They asked if he could remain with me for 6 more weeks to finish out the school year since the mother lives over an hour away, and then again, I would have to take him to his mother's. I haven't agreed to this but have the weekend to consider it. As much as I would like to say I'm finished now, I have dealt with this for this long, I could do it for 6 more weeks. I do want to be reasonable, this boy is my son's brother and I would like them to have a relationship, which unless the mother and I make sure that happens, it won't with their fathers schedule. I think I will also feel a lot less stressed and angry with him when I know he will be leaving. They informed me that the reason the mother was unsuccessful in getting her son back was because he was now living in a household with a family, a mother figure and father and brother, and the judge would not take him from a home with a stable family life and give him to a single mother. He also had made a big deal and showed photos as evidence that we live in a nice house and she would be taking him to live in a trashed trailer, and they think that affected the judge's decision as well. I have never seen her place, but she told me that while her home is older, it isn't trashed and she is doing the best she can. Good lord did that man have the wool pulled over everyone's eyes.

ChiefGrownup's picture

I'm proud of you! That is awesome!

Yes, the man was using you to keep his son. Very obvious. But you and the other woman will raise your boys and maintain a cordial relationship between the two of you for the good of the little brothers. That jerk will no longer be able to manipulate and bully the two of you because now you will be sharing info directly. I believe our member Sweet T has this kind of relationship with her son's half-brothers' mother. Works very well.

Good going, lily, keep us informed!

pinkb's picture

The 100% is exactly what happened to me... it was supposed to be 50/50 custody when I moved in with my fiance. It took about 2 weeks before the kid realized that living full time at our house (where the pantry was stocked, there was a washer and dryer, and a gym) was far more amenable to hanging with Mom (on public assistance and a car that didn't even run reliably). Particularly because there were never any enforced rules, chores, consequences at our house (Dad certainly didn't enforce them and with a 16yo with 8" in height and 100lbs on me what was I going to do even if I had chosen to?)... sound familiar?

And just for further giggles I'll add in that my husband still paid the ex- child support during that time until I asked where all of his paycheck was going.

Get out, babe.