You are here

my wife is a horrible step mom to my son

splitheart's picture

Hi. I got married a couple years ago to a woman with no kids. I've got a 13 year old son who I'm supposed to, and want to, have about 50% of the time.

My wife doesn't want him to be a part of our family and everyone knows it. She even admits it.

We had a baby boy together about a year ago, which makes my wife's poor treatment of my oldest son that much more obvious and painful.

I find it hard to love and respect my wife when she flat out says "I wish your son didn't live here. I don't care about him. I don't like him." and other things like that.

He's not a bad kid, never does anything wrong, he gets good grades, she just doesn't like him.

I would think if she loves me she should at least want me to have a good relationship with him, right?

isn't it just totally selfish of her to want to just push him out of our lives?

how can I respect a person like that?

please don't bash me. I'm here to help my family make it.

we're pretty much getting by day-to-day right now and I love my wife.

but it's like my wife is making me choose - her or my son.

what parent wouldn't choose the son given that?

DISbelief's picture

Have you considered going to family counseling? It may help just getting all of this out on the table with a neutral 3rd party to help you sort through everything that is going on?

Truly sorry you are going through this. Doesn't seem fair at all. Good luck.

DISbelief~

~You have to BE crazy to UNDERSTAND crazy!~ ; )

splitheart's picture

thanks.

last time we tried going to marriage counseling, my wife quit because 1) she didn't think it helped enough and 2) the therapist told her if our marriage was going to work my wife was going to have to accept my son or something like that.

so now I'm going to try again, alone I guess. I'm going to let my son talk to them too.

I'm sure this has to be messing him up.

When a dad loves a woman who treats you like do do, it's gotta mess you up.

Yvonne35's picture

I personally wouldn't keep my children in that type of envoroment. It sounds like your wife is jealous of your son. I would be careful letting her around him.

StepG's picture

I know you giving opinion and all but you have just accused him of not respecting his wife at all and basically being a dick. He stated he found it hard to respect her with her actions. Agreed he should give more background. I found another post you put to another blog quite harsh as well.

I checked your info page and you state nothing about your "step" status.

splitheart's picture

stepaside, I appreciate you view. Almost everything you wrote hits home BIG BIG time, almost like you know me and are speaking to me personally.

so I'm going to reply to you in detail, just in case I'm lucky enough that you'll keep chatting with me.

my family is on the line. thanks.

-I don't know what a BM is but I'm being honest.

-Yes, she literally says, exact quote, "I don't care about _______. He's not my son." and "I don't like him here. I don't want him around." and "if it was up to me he would never stay here overnight." and so on.

- Like I said above, he does make mistakes. But they're just that, and he fixes them. I can't make him have friends. No guys in my family have many friends. That's just the way we are.

I guess I could make him watch less TV and take up some hobbies or something. I tried that for a while, but you can't change who a person is.

She literally thinks he should ride his bike around our neighborhood, which is totally spread out because they're like acre plus lots, and go door-to-door introducing himself looking for friends.

- My wife does have something called OCPD I think, and our marriage conselor agreed. That's basically what most people call OCD. Frued called anal retentive.

I call a perfectionist, and control freak.

She can't handle things when they aren't the way she wants them and she gets mad. even if she's getting mad at the wrong person, or something like that.

I do fear she truely is this evil, and I would run. But I have another son with her now to think about.

- My son is nice to my wife. He tries to talk to her and have conversations with her. Because he knows how much the situation makes me sad, and I can't get my wife to try to improve it so he does.

She rarealy says hello or good bye or good night to him....

- We have 10,000 pics on our walls of our baby. Not one of my son. We have framed pics on our tables & shelves of all her neices & nephews. None of my son alone, but there are some 'family' shots that I insisted we put up of the 3 or 4 of us.

- I am startng to think of her as little more of an irritant, other than I love her and want to share my life with her.

But she cares NOTHING about me or my lifeunless it affects her, then she wants complete control over it, it seems.

- My family has done everything they can to welcome her & include her. My wife just gets mad about it because she admits she "doesn't like people" and she doesn't care about my family, she just spends time with them for me even though she gets nothing out of it.

I don't tell my family much about my wife dark side because I want them to keep liking her. But everyone knows how she feels about my son.

It's just THAT obvious.

- She said I have shown her disrespect in front of him, but I haven't in months & months & months because I was wrong to do that. I appologized and I learned.

But I support all her rules around the house, like the rules for exactly when you have to turn each light on & off depending on which light it is, what time of day it is, and what you're in the process of doing.

- I am blaming her, but that's because I'm doing all I can. But I can't make her like him or what a kid that's not her blood to be a part of our family, which is really what it comes down to at this point.

-It's up to you to show your wife respect and teach your son how to be an independent man someday.

what do you mean by this? to be an independant man some day?

Harleygal's picture

There is a big difference in OCPD and OCD. I have both - my husband has both. But my husband (DH) has major OCPD. It can be very difficult to live with someone with this condition. He takes medication and I have to call him on his behavior sometimes - not so much now though. Perfectionist is true but so much more to it. Someone with OCPD tries to hold others to their standards. Do you feel like you're walking on eggshells around your wife? Many spouses of people who have this say the same thing. I could go on and on, but your wife needs to get some treatment for this.

splitheart's picture

I've learned all about OCPD in order to help me understand my wife. It's helped a lot.

I now know that something about her brain just causes some of the things she does and she can't help it. Sounds sad or even mean, but they really are like toddlers and you have to love them & do what's best for them even when they throw a total temper tantrum to try to get their way.

But as you know, an OCPDer will rarely admit there's anything 'wrong' with them. They're perfect. It's the whole rest of the world that needs to shape up.

Here's just a little example - if I'm home and don't answer the phone, she goes off on me. If she's home and doesn't answer the phone, it's ok because she's busy.

Or everyone from our baby to her nieces & nephews are allowed to eat in the family room. Our baby spits up in the family room every day. But my son can't so much as have a glass of water in it.

People within her circle like get a pass. They can do no wrong. Outsiders, like me & my son, can hardly do no right.

The other night when she was gone I did laundry, unloaded & loaded the dishwasher, blah blah blah & blah. All while both kids were there of course. It was obvious I was really trying to be perfect.

She gets home & went off on me because I put the bottles in the wrong place.

Harleygal's picture

I couldn't hang the clothes on the right hangers and I couldn't load the dishwasher correctly either. DH followed along behind me and changed stuff. I also didn't know how to put the toilet paper roll on the holder right. LOL - DH I know you may be reading this!!!!! Love ya.

splitheart's picture

so how did you all make progress?

how do you get an OCPDer to want help dealing with the OCPD?

it sure isn't out only issue but it makes it hard to make any progress.

Harleygal's picture

I am going to PM you. It might be tomorrow morning when I return to work. I talked to my DH about this and I am going to talk to him some more about it at home. Basically, I started to notice things about him. He was trying to not let me know the things I was doing was bothering him but it was obvious. See, I'm pretty particular about things too, and I was not used to a man coming along behind me fixing things since I think I do a pretty darn good job myself Lol. I have a pretty good understanding about how he operates now and he has a really good understanding of me. I know how I am relating it now seems pretty trivial but the situation got pretty serious for a while.

It took some therapy on both our parts, medication on his and dedication. There is much more to the story and I will PM you about it a little later. Hang in there.

Sasha's picture

This man isn't perfect (no one is) but it sounds as though he's really trying, learning from his mistakes and trying not to repeat them. Don't put the boogie all on him. If what he says is accurate his wife sounds like a real shrew. I think if anyone needs counseling, SHE does!

Mally's picture

I strugled with the same situation for a while.It was a horrible situation. My husband didn't want me to punish the kid when he HIT me in the stomach yeah I dont think so.

Sasha's picture

splitheart's picture

I see what you're saying about putting burden on my son's shoulders. Maybe I shouldn't do that.

pretty much all I ask him to do is say good morning, good night, good bye to her... things like that.... because she won't do it.

I probably shouldn't ask him to do that though.

I also notice he tries to start a lot of conversations with her..I know that has to be hard on him, given how she treats him. I mean to try to be friends with someone who obviously doesn't like you.

We do talk about things somewhat. you have to talk to your kid about things, right? aren't parents supposed to communicate with their kids?

but in any case is does stregnthen the bond between me & my son... and that can only make my wife mad.
----
I don't remember the incident when I disrespected her in front of him. It was small, but I shouldn't have done it nevertheless.

I probably like disagreed with her about something in front of him.

whatever it was, I'm sure it widened the gap between 'her' and 'me & my son' though.
-----
you're last paragraph sums it up best.

my wife always says that I even put my ex and her husband above her, which is just completely crazy.

my wife is in a competition with everyone in my life to see who comes first, her or them. anytime I can't or don't want to make someone in my life do what she wants them to do, then I'm choosing them over her.

me & my ex's custody schedule isn't set in stone. it requires some negotiation between us, which means there's some give and there's some take.

anytime the negotiations don't come out exactly as my wife wants, it's because I'm choosing my ex ofer my wife.

belleboudeuse's picture

This is a lot to deal with for you. By the way, let me give you some props: you seem like a really good man, who wants this to work out, and is trying to do the very best he can by his wife and his son!

You have a wife who probably has some valid complaints, but they are compounded and amplified by some psychological issues that make this VERY hard for you. So, let me say again how much I really have sympathy for you.

Here are just a couple more thoughts that might help you a little bit more to see how what you are doing might be seen/misinterpreted, that you may want to change:

- On your son: yes, you're right, you do need to communicate with him, as his father. But as you've seen, talking to him where you tell him about your frustrations with your wife is a nono. I suggest that in the future, you reserve your discussions with your son about your wife to just talking about it when he brings it up, or if you see he's been particularly hurt by something she's said or done. And then, let him talk, and express love and understanding. And don't let him steer the conversation toward talking about how it makes YOU feel when she's in a bad mood or acts in anger. Keep it all about him and his feelings. Don't let yourself fall into the traps of either agreeing with him or telling him about your frustrations. See what I mean? Let your discussions be all about helping him to feel better and not take her actions to heart. Let it NOT be at all about how you feel or your own frustrations. That way, he's not ever put in the position of trying to help you like a peer would. (He's trying to make things better for you when he tries to start conversations with her; let him feel like he can just disengage without it hurting your feelings. Notice I said DISENGAGE. Not disrespect.)

Also, you acknowledge that when you talk to your son about your wife, it "strengthens the bond" between you. I would submit that that kind of bond-strengthening is inappropriate (because it puts him on a peer level), and that your wife is in some sense right to not be comfortable with that. I would also not be comfortable if my husband talked to my stepdaughter about me when we had a fight. In fact, I would pack my bags if he did that. It's not appropriate, and even though you don't mean to do this, it's called triangulation: it creates a bond between two people at the expense of a third person.

- On your wife: you say that she feels she's in competition with everyone to see who comes first. I would suggest that there are a couple of things you can do to lessen this feeling in her, which is something a lot of steps feel (even the ones without diagnosable disorders). One is what I said above: stop triangulating with your son. The other has to do with your "flexible" schedule with your ex regarding visitation. For you, this flexibility works well. For your wife, it means that she has less certainty about when her house and her time will be her own. It probably makes her feel even more like your son invades her space, that she can't predict with as much certainty as she'd like when he will be there. Even I felt that way at first, and I really love my stepkids. When you marry someone with children, you go from having your space be your own to having your space frequently not something you have much control over. I love my stepdaughters, but I hate it when I think we have an evening or a weekend to ourselves and a couple of days before that day, my DH calls me to say, "BM wants to switch weekends, is that okay?" I like having my space to myself, and when BM seems to have more say over when I'm alone in my house than I do, it really p***es me off. Again, I stress, this has nothing to do with how much I love my stepdaughters. But I will tell you this: if my husband allowed this to happen all the time, I would start to like my stepdaughters a lot less after a while...

I would try to change this situation to make the schedule more solid, so there's less variation. We have, in the last 6 months or so, stopped "negotiating" our schedule with the BM and now just have a strict one that doesn't vary except for a little wiggling at holidays. We did this for different reasons from your situation, but I must tell you that I personally am MUCH, MUCH happier with this. I bet your wife would be, too. On this, please do try to look at her point of view and realize that flexibility works well for you and your ex, but NOT for her. And your schedule changes affect her as well. If she doesn't like it when your son is there, at least give her the stability of being able to know far in advance when he will and won't be there.

I know that one is a hard one to accept. But frankly, I'm almost positive that this schedule shifting is why your wife feels like even your ex and her husband come before she does.

Hope that helps... I do recognize that she's kind of a difficult woman (understatement). But if you really want this to work out, you kind of have to take her complaints seriously and work with them as though they're totally reasonable (which I think you're trying to do, for the record).

BB

- You are not second best, you are not second class. Do not ever let anyone make you feel that way. (2Bloved)

splitheart's picture

wow.

you totally see her perspective, yet you can communicate to me while seeing my perspective... all the while you have sympathy for me and don't make me feel put down or insulted when pointing out things I could change.

this is the 2nd post that every word hit home, as if we know each other already.

I think when I talk to my son about my wife... well, obviously the asking him to say hi, and bye, & such to her was a big mistake on my part.

the other things I say to him are regarding not taking her treatment of him personally.

here's a new bit of info - she was his 5th grade teacher in school. that's how we met.

so when his step-mom/ 5th grade teacher treat him like dodo I'm worried how it will affect him.

so I tell him she treats me the same way, because she does.

I only did that to stress not to take her actions personally.

but I'm learning a lot about tiranglation here. thanks.
---
I 100% get the thing about the flexible schedule now.

thanks.

problem might be: if we set a concrete schedule, it's going to be one that my wife can't live with. like, maybe having son for more days in a row than she can deal with.

keeping it flexible has been the only way I could see my son enough under my wife's guidlines, such as never having him for more than 2 days in a row.
-----
thanks again.

I know my marriage might be that important in the grand scheme of things, but it's really important to me and you all helping me means a lot.

Harleygal's picture

One thing I have noticed - most people with OCPD must live by a routine. If your wife truly has this then this would have to include her. Anything outside their normal routine gets them off track and they can't deal with it. Then everyone around them suffers. Also, any permanent change to a routine, even tho the sufferer knows they have to change, is going to be a problem for a while until they can mentally adjust.

A lack of a continuous routine for her might be contributing to her stress. Even tho the visitiation you have with your son, dates, times, etc.. should not really bother her too much (most people it wouldn't) she sees this a a disruption to her schedule too. Most would be able to adapt; she can't.

Just a couple of thoughts.

belleboudeuse's picture

I'm glad I'm helping you, Splitheart. And let me just repeat, I totally have sympathy for you. Weird that she was your son's 5th grade teacher. That must kind of feel like a bait and switch for both of you -- I'm sure you thought for sure that his teacher would be a nurturing and loving stepmom.

I get that the schedule presents some difficulties. That sucks. But maybe if you think on it and discuss it with her, (mostly so she feels like you're making her needs a priority) something will start to work itself out. I really hope these suggestions will help.

Do please keep in touch with us on here. It's good for all of us to be able to share our experiences, because for most of us, there isn't anyone else in our lives that really understands the unique problems of these step-situations.

BB

- You are not second best, you are not second class. Do not ever let anyone make you feel that way. (2Bloved)

Sita Tara's picture

If you were dating my SD's BM (bio mom).

If you are giving us the 100 percent honest assessment of the situation, then I would say you must leave. This woman is not interested in having a family, perhaps just a baby of her own. I have a dear friend with a daughter from his first marriage, who went through this, and finally the new wife left him because she couldn't control him. Of course I knew from the moment they met she was trouble, very much younger than him, and because she was a born again Christian, made comments about he and his daughter (Catholic) going to hell if he didn't convert.

When I told my friend my concerns when they were dating, he just withdrew from chatting with me. We were very close, both divorced, and hung out with our kids before he met her. We never dated, were just friends. But she wanted him to have nothing to do with me and he complied.

Anyway...he let her have full custody of the baby girl they had together, then a year or two later she started dragging him back into court to try to reduce his visitation. Luckily, the judge saw through her attempts and actually she lost FC to my friend, AND was ordered into therapy.

I agree with above posters. If this is an accurate depiction of your situation, you need to convince her to go to therapy. I would give her an ultimatum if she doesn't comply. And then I would go with your son to therapy for a very long time, live in this situation for as long as you can endure, establishing a relationship with the counselor. You are going to need that counselor later when and if you need to file for divorce.

Because if she is this heartless, you need to go and you need to get Full custody- legal and physical of your new baby. If she is this much a control freak about a child that is not her own biologically, imagine how controlling she will try to be over her own baby.

Goodluck, and welcome to the site.

splitheart's picture

we do need to get therapy.

but I'm not ready to say she doesn't want to make it work with my son just yet

because, now I see that I've done things in the past to create this battle between my son & my wife.

I did thing that made my wife feel 2nd to my son. probably mistakes on my part from being new to the whole being married again after 8 years thing.

Those things were magnified or compounded by my wife's inability to accept imperfections.

so, the battle was drawn in my wife's mind. Do I put my wife first in life?

so she tried to push me across that line that I wouldn't cross. That line where I would no longer feel like a good father.

once she saw that I wouldn't cross it, my son won in her mind and she lost.

all that was compounded by me being so hurt by all her meaness towards me & my son.

when someone I love is so mean to me and my son for so long, I'm gonna get hurt and it's gonna show.

so then my wife can tell that I don't feel the same way about her, so she starts focusing on how I don't treat he the same way I used to.

gingbelle's picture

Look, from what I am reading, this marriage is on it's way out. So I guess you have to decide where your line is. Are you going to stay and fight for your son's (yes both of them) and your marriage, or if you truly feel she is unchangable, are you going to fight for your son's. If she is OCD like you say, and it is documented, you may have grounds to take both of your son's with you and get the hell out of dodge. I do know that you HAVE to stand up for your kids.

stepmommy3's picture

You know I can honestly say my husbands SS is a terror. Infact he was so uncontrollable that he no longer lives with us, but we still have his pictures in our home. He was a part of my husbands life and I love my husband so I could never just do the things you say she does. If she says she doesn't like people she needs to see a doctor. It's sounds like she could be depressed. Was she always like that.

StepMadre's picture

First of all, I wish you the best and hope you can work this all out. I agree with everyone that counseling is definitely worth giving a go again. In the past I have had a lot of success with counseling, but it took me trying a few counselors to find one that I felt comfortable with and who actually understood my situation. Adding OCD /OCPD to the mix makes things even more difficult, but not impossible. (I have a sister with severe OCD and it runs in my family, so I know how hard it is).

I think you guys just have a lot to work through and the hard part will be not getting resentful and angry to the point that it ruins your relationship. It has to be the hardest thing in the world to have the woman (or man) that you love not like/love your child. I know because my H and I went through this when I got to a point where I actually hated his kids. I started out being the "best step-mom ever" and got so burnt out (my skids both have severe mental issues-one has Aspergers and one has OCD/Anxiety) that I literally hid in our room when the skids were over. I would make myself dinner early and go into my room and watch movies loudly so that I wouldn't have to even hear their voices. It was really bad and I flat out told my H that I hated his kids and would be happy to never see them again. Obviously, this was incredibly hard for him and he loves them to pieces. They are very difficult kids and where he gets insanely irritated with them, he has that biological love for them and as I had no part in their birth or genetics I felt like I was being forced to like two horrible children that I had no connection to other than that I married their dad. We have absolutely worked through this and although the skids still irritate the hell out of me sometimes, I am at a fairly good point as long as I get plenty of time to myself and with my H. My H finally got past his own hurt feelings and understands my perspective (he is an amazing man) and although I keep my nastier thoughts to myself (and this site!), he knows how I feel about them and respects that being a step-mom is one of the hardest things anyone can do.

I know it is hard, but try to see it from your wife's perspective. Being a step-parent is harder than you can possibly imagine. It sounds like you have a pretty good kid and as long as she is respectful and polite with him (and that has to be mutual!) she is absolutely justified in having her feelings about him. She probably goes to a dramatic level in expressing her dislike of your son because she knows that you have a zero tolerance of her feelings. You want her to like your son (and probably love him) and she not only doesn't like him, she is responding to your wants and experiencing it as pressure and that makes her negative feelings about him even more intense. I am just guessing here! This is based on my experience. My skids definitely have good qualities, but when my H desperately wanted me to like them, I just felt resentful and couldn't even look past my own resentment to appreciate the good stuff. Also, my little nephew (who I do have an intense connection with-was there at the birth and he looks just like me!) is the apple of my eye and the sweetest little boy I have ever known. His mom (my sister) is an unbelievable mother and the result is that my nephew is unusually amazing (I am biased, but pretty much everyone who knows him agrees) and he made the problems with my skids seems even more dramatic. I am at the point where I acknowledge that my nephew is superior (he just is! so sue me) and I adore him with all my heart. When I see him my heart leaps and hugs from him make anything better. He is just the sweetest little guy ever. I have accepted that I love him to death and only tolerate my skids. That's just how it is and nothing is going to change that. I am betting that your wife feels this way about her biological baby and honestly that's natural.

The important thing is that she is good to your son. This does not mean that she has to like him or be affectionate. She is totally entitled to her feelings. That said, I really think that she will mellow out once she doesn't feel pressure from you to like your son. She probably feels backed into a corner and defensive about it and add OCD to the mix and presto! you have instant tension and misery. Your son knows that you love him and hopefully his mother loves him too. Kids need parents and it's no biggie if the extra parent (us steps) don't love the kids. There is plenty of love to go around and your son will not grow up needing therapy just because his step-mom isn't affectionate. He probably won't like her a whole heck of a lot, but that doesn't really matter as long as they are both mutually respectful to each other.

I think basically, you need to show your son you love him, but please dear God don't side with him against your wife just to make up for her not loving him. You and your wife need to make house rules that apply to all the kids equally and enforce them equally. If you disagree with something your wife does kid-wise, you should absolutely talk to her about it PRIVATELY and not in front of your son. It is so, so important that you are a united front with the kids and that you back her up and show her respect, especially in front of your son. Your son needs to respect your wife and will absolutely take the cue from you. You will create a twisted, warped dynamic if you disrespect or fail to back up your wife. This will only make her more angry and resentful and your son will learn that he can come between you and that is the way to get attention and affection. Your affection for your son needs to be unrelated to your wife and he needs to know that you love her and respect her. If you don't respect her and want to change your house rules then you need to discuss that with her privately, or in front of a counselor.

I think your wife does care about you a lot, but she is feeling really resentful and pressured into liking your son and your family. If I was put in a situation where my husband was pressuring me into liking his family I would immediately put my dukes up and get all hostile. No one likes pressure and if she never grows to like your family, then whoopideedoo. It really doesn't matter. My H hates one of my sisters and doesn't want her to even come over to our house. I understand and respect that and we compromise because I love her. She comes over and he deals with it, but I don't expect him to hang out with her and I don't care if he likes her or not. He cares about her, but just doesn't like being around her because their personalities clash. It's no biggie to me.

That said, if she is in any way abusive with him, that is not okay and a whole different bag of chips.

Anyway, I understand how hard it is to have your wife not like your son, and i'm sorry because I know that has to be heartbreaking. I wish you the best of luck and I really, really hope that you can work things out.

Take care!

"A lot of people are afraid to tell the truth. That’s where toughness comes into play. Toughness isn’t being a bully, it’s having a backbone.” ~Robert Kiyosaki

arwoodco1's picture

You sound like you are describing my wife.. I looked up this OCPD condition and it sounds pretty close to how my wife is..

Same thing.. 1000's of photos of our new son.. My daughter not included.. except maybe one or two photos..

Before, she was not that way before the baby.. Now she is..

Same thing about order, rules.. She is probably more flexible maybe than what you are describing, but not much.. She likes order.. She freaks out if I don't wear slippers to the bathroom, because the floor is not clean.

And sometimes, she gets along with my daughter fine.. And lasts a couple weeks, maybe a few weeks and wham.. Darkside comes out.. Starts saying some seriously mean stuff to me and my daughter.. Wants to leave and never come back. Can't stand being in the house with my exes daughter (she hates my ex, so it falls on my daughter).

Honestly, I am not sure what to do either.. I try to force her to act right.. Works for a while.. I blow up eventually if she keeps hitting the right buttons and acting evil towards my daughter..

When I blow up I just scream at her.. But then, I am the one who has to apologize, though, she was the one who basically called my daughter horrible names or said she hates her, etc.

So, I am not sure if I should just keep telling her look, you need to accept my daughter or there is the door..

As we have a newborn son as well.. Its frustrating..

Yvonne35's picture

****I am suspicious about
Submitted by StepAside on Mon, 06/29/2009 - 12:24pm.
I am suspicious about whether you're really a father, or a disgruntled teen or BM here to stir the pot.

translation: somebody is looking for a reasonable sollution therefor they're a biomom. who woulda thought?

Sita Tara's picture

I'm curious as why you give a "translation" of someone's comment? My translation of yours would be that you keep cross talking by tossing out these one liners as though you believe we need help discerning it.

Or?

You have a chip about this BM venting stuff. Because actually, though you only mention BMs, the comment mentioned BFs and/or disgruntled teens in that order.

OR...

You just want to start a debate?

Please expound in another thread as I am truly curious as to why this seems to be an epidemic them as of late. Smile

Amazed's picture

~Dignity and Grace. Be that and sneak past the hate...wrinkle free~

Xoe's picture

Your scenario #2 sounds more like the reality, though possibly exaggerated. No child is perfect, and stepmoms are often disrespected. On the other hand, his wife may also be feeling some resentment just because the child is there and has a place in his father's heart. Not saying it's bad for a stepmom to feel that way, just saying that she's not superhuman and being in these situations can be really difficult. She probably has some coping to deal with before she can find balance in the situation. Hope the father is able to see the situation more objectively for everybody's sake. If he doesn't, the son and bm may feel inclined to manipulate the situation, the stepmom will lose it, and the dad will be left completely helpless.

Sia's picture

there obviously is something else going on. As a SM myself, I can't imagine saying those things to my DH, even though I despise his children. They are rude and obnoxious and other things....but I have reason. Also, DH feels almost the same way about his oldest daughter. The jury is still out on SD17.

What reasons does she give for not liking him? Something MUST have happend....

ohlawddd's picture

There is got to be something else going on... It always kills me when I hear the statement, "he's a good kid"... In who's eyes? Is the question, granted kids will be kids... I know personally I have heard that before, in reference to my ss, cuz his father said that to me in the beginning, then I got to looking closely at this boy.... And really started paying attention to his conduct, and how he spoke to adults, it was horrible..his behavior was absolutely horrible... I had never seen anything like it!

Then I evaluated my husband and my ss relationship, it wasn't a father and son's relationship, it was two dudes living like bachelors...wth.... His father shared things with this boy that he shouldn't have and this boy was watching very matured movies and books that he shouldn't had let him do... He crossed the line... The boy was having problems in school cuz he felt that every adult should treat him like his father does, believe what he says and questioned nothing....

My husband had fostered this bad relationship with his son for 17 years (he has had total custody since he was 3 yrs old)!!!! And didn't see a problem with it until I came along, other woman that he had dated would just run off and he would never hear from them.. But me on the other hand, I guess he saw the S on my forehead, "Sucker"....LMAO!!!! Just kidding! But seriously,I resented my husband because it put a unnecessary strain on our relationship.

Its so hard for people to see things for what they really are.... Even harder to do a self examination of oneself, and make whatever necessary changes.... "I'm talking about the Man in the Mirror!" RIP MJ

anita...sigh's picture

I totally believe a SM can be like this for no good reason. I'm 43 years old and I still hate what my ex-SM put us all through. To be fair, she is definately mentally ill so there you go.

We all smile in the same language

splitheart's picture

wow, you all are awesome. thanks.

It really helps me to see her side, so to speak.

although I wonder if a couple of you ARE her, you sound so much like her at times!

When I said he never does anything wrong, I wasn't being literal.

But, they might be an indication that I'm too soft on him, huh? Thing is, yes, he forgets to do things sometimes, like say take the garbage out on garbage day sometimes. But hey, I forget to do things sometimes too.

If he forgets something I remind him and he takes care of it. I don't punish him much, if ever, but he honestly never does worse than forget something, then he does it after you remind him.

She doesn't like him because he watches too much TV and doesn't have many friends. (her words)

In the begining, I let him interrupt us and I kind of made him too important but I learned. But I guess the damage is done.

I could go on & on about StepAside's post, but I think this reply is too long already. no one will probably read it the way it is!

StepG's picture

your SS feel about his Stepmom?

splitheart's picture

he knows the reason he couldn't spend the whole day with me father's day is because she wouldn't let him.

he feels like anyone would. Imagine someone kept you away form your dad on father's day, and never let you & your dad lay on the couch & watch a movie together.

but he does everything he can to make things work, for me and for his relationship with his new brother.

excise me, half brother. my wife corrects me every single time I call his half brother his 'brother'.

Sita Tara's picture

If she is correcting him or you about his brother being "half"....
If she did not want to allow you time with your own son on Father's Day.

She is borderline/bipolar/narcissistic something and you need to make an exit strategy.

Go to this site

http://www.bpdfamily.com/index.html

And start reading up. If it's not BPD it's SOMETHING and this site is a really informative place to begin.

Once again, goodluck.

splitheart's picture

WOW.

I had no idea about BPD. but come to think of it our therapist did mention is once.

great, something else I'm up against.

Sita Tara's picture

"I had no idea about BPD...great, something else I'm up against."

EEK...

it is a rather big something my friend.

Just read and learn at your own pace. If the therapist mentioned it, you are more than likely dealing with a rather large elephant of a psych issue here.

Go slow. Slow and steady wins the race with this one.

*Hugs*

splitheart's picture

slow & steady wins the race on this one.

I think I need to get a tatoo of that!

slow & steady also allows me to maintain my composure & gives her time to process & work through things.

thanks sita

hismineandours's picture

Ok-I think you guys need to be really careful about diagnosing people over the internet especially if you are not trained to diagnose anyone. I am trained and I dont even like diagnosing people with borderline personality disorder after I've had a 90 minute assessment with them. It has a lot of stigma attached to it in the mental health world, and apparently that stigma is growing in the general public as well. Nothing he said about his wife would indicate to me that she had borderline personality disorder. I did not see him mention any actual DSM sx. Maybe I missed something? Is she making suicidal gestures? Does she have a great fear of abandonment? Mood swings? Difficulty regulating her emotions? IDK-sounds as if she is pretty straightforward to me about how she feels-doesnt sound as if she is playing games but is rather quite honest and blunt about her feelings. Sounds as if she is a pretty functional lady if she is a 5th grade teacher. The majority of borderlines I treat have difficulty even maintaining a job.
Anywho, if this is for real I dont quite understand why you even got with this woman. If she didnt like people, if she has ocpd that interferes with relationships, and is mean, and dislikes your son didnt you notice these things before you married her? Also I would be curious how your son treats her when u are not around. My ss rarely talks to me at all, but when he chooses to it is ALWAYS and ONLY when his father is standing right there. His father also orders him to say hello to me when entering my home-not because my dh thinks I am mean but because he knows that ss would never greet me on his own. consequently I do not greet my ss or say goodbye to him, not because I am "mean" but because HE has made it clear that he dislikes me and spends his whole visits ignoring and passively and sometimes overtly disrespeting me. I have told him if he ever changes his mind and wants a relationship with me then I am here-but I will not waste my breath at this point because he's not interested.
As far as pics, I at this point would never put out a pic of my ss. All our pics in our house are of our kids when they were younger-ran out of space long ago so I just choose leave thos up and there are some of ss up. Howver, although Iwould not put up pics of ss that doesnt mean i wouldnt "allow"my dh to-I mean can she really stop you from putting up a pic of your son? Which makes me wonder how she did not "let" you spend father's day with your child? Did she hold a gun to your head and take you hostage? You have to take some responsibility here. If you didnt spend father's day with your son-that's your fault buddy-barring some crzzy exwife who physically withheld him from you. And if you indicated in any way to your son that SHE did not allow you to spend time with him well, gee no wonder problems exist between your wife and son. I am seeing "victim" painted all over you and your son. You seemed to have embraced that role for both you and your son. I dont know your situation or even if u r who u say u r, but u seem very comfortable with portraying yourself this way.
Also I am confused by your statement that your son is just the way he is-you cant change his personality-(he doesnt have many friends, for example)-so why do you want to force your wife to be "friends" with your family? If your son is not a big people person that seems to be ok with you, but if your wife is not, that is not OK?

doglover's picture

I think I was like your wife once. I felt the same way. I never wanted my sd around. She was weird, watched too much tv, never had friends, etc. But she was a good kid, talked to me, got good grades, etc. It doesn't matter what your son does it will never be good enough. Even if you have him 10% of the time it will be too much. I know how it is...

What it comes down to is your wife married you and knew you had a kid. She has to accept it. She has no choice. She choose to marry you. And yes, if she loved you she would accept your son.

What she doesn't know now is if she continues her life will only get worse. Your son will end up hating her. He will start fighting for your time and attention. It will only make her life worse...and yours. And your marriage will eventually end.

All I can say is when I was like your wife my life was hell. I was angry all the time. I was never happy. I thought I loved my husband but I finally learned that I wasn't treating him like I loved him. It took counseling and prayer for me to realize that my sd isn't bad and I don't hate her. Loving and caring for someone is a choice. It really is. If she works hard and decides she will like/love and care about your son for you she will eventually really do it. Mind over matter. Sounds weird but it works.

Another thought...maybe antidepressants would work. Maybe it truly is an anger issue that she can't get over without the help of an antidepressant. It kind of takes the edge off. It's worth a try. It worked for me.

Good luck.

Harleygal's picture

I think my DH would also admit that he was once this way too. I know he admits it to me, maybe not so much to others. He was this way though to his first wife and his kids. He admits this and he admitted it to me before we married. Then I spoke with his ex several times early in my marriage trying to figure out what was going on. They all (ex and kids) said the same thing - they felt like he didn't love them. He told me he was a hardass on them. I started to notice some of this behavior beginning early in my marriage to him. I didn't think he liked my child at all. Several events occurred then that led us into counseling and medication.

Now things could not be better. He is not that guy that he described to me and that his ex described to me.

This can get better. But both have to be willing to make it happen. My DH has a lot of love for me as I do for him. That has always been the key for us.

hopeful12's picture

I think it is sad, If your wife truely makes you "SAY" the half brother thing, In our house as my 2 kids aren't BIO my DH's and we have no kids together (and can't) we NEVER tell any of the kids it is STEP anything. It is always just brother and sister's. My SD14 loves to tell my kids that DH is their step dad(DH has been my kids dad since my son was 3 and my daughter was 2-3 months old), which is a BAD WORD in our house. That is mean and cruel. We have been trying to not split hairs, and be a family, at all costs. IMHO you should sit down and tell your W that she needs to "give" your son a chance. We all can say the very worst things in the world about the HELL we go through daily, BUT WE ALL STILL TRY. Never would any of "US" here on ST condone this type of treatment to a child. I am sure you do things wrong as we all do. As I am sure so does your son, But if she loves you she should try to make your son apart of the family or there isn't a family. It is you, your sonS and then her and your one son? It should never start this way & if it does then thats where it will end sooner then later... Your marriage should be 1st unless it is TRUELY the way you tell it and you must protect you boys both of them.... I think anyhow

~~It's been said that parenting is the toughest job in the world. Wrong. It's the second toughest: Stepparenting wins hands down.~~

splitheart's picture

hopeless12 & doglover, thank you.

doglover, you 100% hit the nail on the head with every word you wrote.

I don't feel my wife loves me, which makes it hard. She's told me the only reason we're still together is for our son, and that the money I make isn't enough to stay together, & that the only reason she married me was because she didn't really know me or my son well enough.

I'm seeing a marriage counselor at my chuch starting this week. hopefully that can help give me some stregnth!

she was on antidepresants for a while, after I finally convinced her she had PPD after the baby was born. But she quit those and says she shouldn't have to take pills in order to accept her crappy life.

Harleygal's picture

It's not the fact that she is married to you. It's not how much money you make. She could be married to anyone else and have a totally different life and she will always feel the same way. I just spoke with my DH about this. He agrees - she needs back on medication.

Now my DH is 100% the man that I love and married. But for a while things were very different.

doglover's picture

Was she different while on the antidepressants? Did they help?

I was the same way. I wanted to know why I had to take antidepressants to accept my sd. What an angry life I led. I NEVER want to be that person again. Awful. I remember being mad at the counselor too for telling me I had to accept my sd. I feel like this was a lifetime ago! (it was less than a year ago!)

Part of me didn't want to change because it was "comfortable" and I was used to it. But part of me knew I had to change or I would lose my husband. I didn't want that to happen.

I hope you will find strength and peace at your church. I know what a living hell I put my husband through. I would rather kill myself than put him through that again. Truly.

Good luck.

splitheart's picture

I can only hope my wife decides she loves me, and wants to share her life with me, and has the experience you had.

You give me hope.

thank you!

In the mean time, I also have to be true to my son and be a good father to him.

I can't just ship him off for his mom to raise just because my wife doesn't want him around.

That's where the split heart comes from.

I love my wife and my son, but I can't be a good husband AND a good father unfortunately.

That tears me up.

So I just have to do what I know is right, and do what I can to make my wife happy while being a father I can at least respect, even if I'm not being the father I know I could be.

It's hard to go against what your wife wants when you love her, so I pray and I have to do what I feel is right for my sons.

Blood_Matters_Not's picture

Always let your son know that you love him, but your relationship with your wife must come first. Others have mentioned "primary relationship". That relationship is where all the other relationships in your home will use as an example. Not only that, but you have another child to think about that needs a solid and functional family structure. Some things to think on. I would not use anger/resentment to make decisions. I would use practical thought as to what's best for the family as a whole.

And this is coming from a "SM" of a 3 year old girl who she calls and feels is her daughter, NOT step daughter. I may not be able to say that if it wasn't for my husband who puts our relationship first (by his actions and words). He was that way from the beginning. So, it pretty much eliminated any chance of jealousy or resentments. I LOVE my daughter so much, and I could care less that she didn't come from my womb:)

"Blood doesn't matter. Love is the tie that binds..."

belleboudeuse's picture

What I read from your posts makes me feel like the two of you are so alienated from each other right now, you have stopped being able to feel like you are "on the same team," so to speak.

It is possible that your wife is just a grade-A b****, and that your son is a perfect lamb, and that you are blameless. But I'm going to assume -- because it's easier to fix, frankly -- that there's blame to go around, and that all of you have made some mistakes that have escalated, and now you and your wife are so angry with one another that you consider each other the enemy and read bad things into everything the other does. (By the way, I'm not going to focus on your son's behavior, because I'm sure he's a nice kid, and if he's done some bad things I'd rather focus on how the situation might be making him react.)

I don't know that much about OCD or OCPD, and there are things in the posts above that sound pretty difficult to overcome, but from reading DogLover's posts, I'm going to assume that those can be worked on, so the advice I'm going to give is given as though the two of you are two well-meaning but imperfect people who have grown apart and need to figure out how to fix this.

So. I have experience as a stepmom, and I've talked to LOTS of them and read a lot about this stuff. So, I think I can read situations pretty well. (For the record, my relationship with my H is wonderful, I adore him, and my stepkids love me -- so I think you'd consider me a success story, which might have an effect on how you receive my comments.)

Here are some things you said:
"He's not a bad kid, never does anything wrong, he gets good grades, she just doesn't like him.
...we're pretty much getting by day-to-day right now and I love my wife.
...but it's like my wife is making me choose - her or my son.
what parent wouldn't choose the son given that?"

My take: you loved your wife when you married her, right? You didn't think she was an awful person then, right? And yet, you're saying that there's nothing in this situation that would make your wife dislike your son's presence. She "just doesn't like him." You're also implying that you are being forced to choose between him and her.

What I think is going on with her: She has felt, for quite a while, that you don't support her, and that when your son does things that she doesn't like, you brush her off and say that he's just a kid, he's not doing anything wrong, if she doesn't like what he does she should just ignore it, etc. Would you say that's how you have generally handled her complaints about him? Has she ever said to you anything like this: she wishes you would have your son pick up after himself more, or that you would be a little bit better about disciplining him, or that you let it go too often when he doesn't do what he's supposed to do, or that it's her house, too and she deserves to have her say in what the rules are in it?

I don't know your wife, but I know the people on this site (including the people you're saying sound a lot like your wife). I don't think it's really about your son, for her. It's that she feels that you already HAVE chosen your son over her, that you CONSTANTLY choose your son over her in terms of who gets attention in your house when he's there, who gets a free pass for things he does that she doesn't like, etc. She feels like she is not in control in her own home. And she feels like your primary relationship is not with her -- your wife -- it's with your son.

Think of what this relationship would be like if you had both come to it never having been married, and with no children from any previous relationship. Wouldn't she be the primary relationship in your life? When your kids came along, wouldn't you raise and nurture them together, but make decisions regarding discipline, chores, family routines, etc. etc. together? In that kind of relationship, a wife wouldn't feel as though she was coming in last place in terms of her husband's loyalty, and she would know that she was 50% of the relationship and 50% of the decision-making power. My guess is, your wife feels like she has very little power or control over her life in that house. And it's coming out in hostility toward your son, because when he's there is when all this is so much more obvious to her.

I'm not trying to bash you, Splitheart. I'm sure she's doing things "wrong", too. I'm just trying to show you that the way you wrote your post implied that your wife was totally in the wrong, and also suggested that you were kind of in a defensive position and not so willing to try to listen to what's going on UNDER what she's saying and how she's acting.

One more thing, and then I'll stop. Let me recommend the book Stepmonster. It's actually more for people like your wife (women who have become stepmothers and who find it's an incredibly hard position to be in), but I think you could really stand to read it. And perhaps you could purchase a copy for your wife, too. Read it together, and ask her whether what she's reading about rings true for her situation. It might give you a little sympathy for her perspective, and bring you two closer to being in a position to talk to one another like you're on the same team, rather than as adversaries.

Best of luck,

BB

splitheart's picture

yes, very alienated. we're not on the same team. My team wants me to be a good father & have my son a few days each week.

Her team wants us to let his mom raise him and have him come over a couple days a month. every other weekend maybe.

me nor my son are perfect. but we're working on it, making progress, and trying.

but we keep coming back to the same problem. she just doesn't want her life to be affected or altered by someone else's kid.

We've adressed all his issues regarding teaching him how to take care of her house the way she wants. She has no more complaints about him other than he watches to much TV & doesn't have many friends.

what can I do about that? she doesn't want to help me adress that. she just wants to gripe about it.

we are both really sensitive, me thinking certain actions of her's means she doesn't like or love me & her doing the same thing all the time.

I don't know what to do about that. hopefully the counselor can help. and that's one of the reasons I'm here - to learn, & to see her side better. I said that. I'm not here to put her down and I'm not looking for conviencement to dump her.

I'm looking to fix things, because I love her, made a vow to her, and because we have a son.

she wasn't awful when she didn't come between me & my son, like not letting me having him the time I'm entitled to have him for example. I would be fine with less than 50%, like our custody says, but she wants me to have him less than I can accept because I wouldn't feel like a good dad any more.

I would feel like I was choosing her over him, which is what she wants. She's jealous to the point of one day at a ball game she said "why are you wearing the (team) shirt he gave you instead of the one I gave you?" and things like that.

I think I- no, I DID do things at first to make things worse, like let him interrupt us and stuff. But her complaints aren't about that stuff anymore. they're simply about him taking time away from her and annoying her by living in her house.

I do whatever I can to make her happy. but I can't give so much that I don't feel like a good dad any longer.

thanks for your input.

could probably write more but gotta go.

belleboudeuse's picture

The jealousy things she's doing also seem typical of a wife who doesn't feel respected and valued as her husband's "number one".

I do have a lot of sympathy for you -- your wife seems to be very hardened and like she's dug in her heels. (Just wanted to say that because I don't want you to think I feel it's all your fault. Quite the contrary.)

Just a couple more things: one is that I wanted to pass along a website that has an interview with the author of Stepmonster, and also an article on it. Reading this might give you a sense of whether you'd like to read further.

http://www.wor710.com/pages/4333578.php?

The other is this: when I suggested that the two of you don't feel like you're on the "same team" anymore, your response was: "My team wants me to be a good father & have my son a few days each week.

Her team wants us to let his mom raise him and have him come over a couple days a month. every other weekend maybe."

Can you consider what your team AS A HUSBAND, not as a father, is? What would that be? Is that different from what it was when you first got married?

BB

Most Evil's picture

Thank you for sharing!!

"It's funny how dogs and cats know the inside of folks better than other folks do, isn't it?"
- Eleanor H. Porter (1868 - 1920), 'Pollyanna', 1912

jojo71's picture

is that your wife has a problem because your son won't make friends, and yet she admits that she doesn't like people. Isn't that the pot calling the kettle black. Maybe if she (or the two of you) would set an example on how to be outgoing and friendly to people (neighbors, etc.) he would follow suit.

It's so hard being the SM...I think if I had issues like OCPD or BPD, I too would be a "stepmonster". A sense of reasoning keeps those negative feelings in check but without that, I something think I'd be a raving mad woman most of the time!

Albina's picture

Wow! The situation seems like mine, but opposite. I'm married to man with the kid. My ss is about 9 year old. And he comes over every other weekend.
He is not a bad kid. And I do my best to be a friends with my ss, never do or say bad things to him. But I do say to my husband that "i don't like the TIME when he is over" for the following reasons:
1. Every time ss in our place I'm being completely ignored. I'm not invited for any family activities or conversations. Usually my husband is cooking at home. And when ss is over our place I almost never invited to eat with them breakfast, lunch or dinner. They can go somewhere and usually I don't know where they go and what they do.
2. My interests are never count if it crosses ss interests. I couldn't have my birthday party because it was the weekend when ss have to come. I was asking to switch the weekends (they do that often if needed) or at least to send him to his mom's or grandmom's house for a night but my husband didn't agree on that, because he wanted his son to sleep in our place that exact weekend. So we didn't have any party. Or let's say I have a plans for a weekend when we suppose to be alone, his ex calls him and says she has plans and asks if he can have him over. And of course, we have him over!
3. My husband can talk to me disrespectfully infront of his son. He can say something bad about me in front of him, and that disappoints me so much! Of course his son disrespects me either. He doesn't say me even hello, or ignores my questions, never does something that i ask him to do. So usually i say my husband to tell him to do this or that. Like to walk out the dog, or to hang his coat etc.
4. My husband never expresses his feelings in front of his son. Never holds me, never say he loves me and cares about me. But he does this things to him all the time. And to say the truth I don't feel good about this. Sometimes i feel that he does say him for purpose to make me feel alone.
We went family counselor, and actually they advised my husband to show his son either that he cares about his wife. But nothing changed really.
I also do not know what to do. And sometimes think that that was a mistake to marry a man with the kid.
So, spleatheart, maybe you do such things to your wife either, and she feels lonely and ignored and not loved, and that's why being like this? If your wife wants your son to have a friends, that means she does care about him, right?

Blood_Matters_Not's picture

Talk to her...Why does she not like your son? I'm not going to bash you, but keep in mind that since she's your wife, you took vows to her not your son. So, you choose her. It's that simple. However, as the man of your home, step up and get her some counseling and find out what is really going on and be an equal father to your son as much as you are to your new child...But something's def buggin' her...

"Blood doesn't matter. Love is the tie that binds..."

KittyKat's picture

In total agreement with BB, when two people marry and neither has children, they are a TEAM; they plan their future, they go on trips together, they have a lot of private time to get to know one another.

HOWEVER, when children are in the mix (My H and I have 5 children combined, 4 of them adults, and it has NOT been an easy ride by any means), things become very distorted. There are no longer any boundaries. Just as my H's three daughters were very upset by their "dad" having a new "girl" (they're all now pushing 30), my own son (now 25) didn't like that there was a new "rooster" in the house. The Brady Bunch is true fiction, believe me.

Since you have a child together, my guess is that your wife is hoping you put "us" as first regarding her and your new son. I was just talking to my neighbors, first marriage for both, wife just had a child, and she is overwhelmed by the responsibility of a new child. Sleepless nights. Not knowing if the baby is sick or not. But, she has her hubby's 100% complete support.

I don't know if your W has a mental problem or not, but she may just be an exhausted new "mommy" who really needs her husband to be her BEST FRIEND and not worrying about a child who is not a "little boy" any more. He's older and shouldn't require all of his dad's attention. That's not to say you need to IGNORE the young man, but it may be a good thing to make him more helpful in his new "half-brother's" life.

Things are no longer black and white. Right or wrong. But, your first role is being a husband and supporting your wife.

"No one can make you feel inferior without your consent."-Eleanor Roosevelt

KittyKat's picture

Does your wife have a full-time job? If she does, combine that with the STRESS of what your OWN small child is doing without her, I feel her pain. Again, that's called being a MOTHER.

And, if your concern is more about a 13-year-old and NOT your wife and your one year old new son (a life YOU created with your new wife), then I REALLY feel her pain.

"No one can make you feel inferior without your consent."-Eleanor Roosevelt

sparky's picture

Every story has 2 sides and so I have to wonder which came first the chicken or the egg. Either way, you should have manned up a long time ago and done something when you weren't allowed to spend fathers day with your kd. It is your responsibility to protect your children from evil or abuse or otherwise he is going to be one mixed up little boy.
You should have seen the signs of her mental problems before you got married, today it is your kd and 10 years from now she is going to do the same thing to the other kd.
Sometimes I wonder if you have given her so much disrespect and crap in the past that she cant get beyond that or if she is a rigid as you say she is with all of her labels then why would you want to live in her environment?

miralb's picture

I'm very impressed with a situation. As I'm myself in similar condition as your wife. My husband thinks, that i hate his kid, who is about 9 year old. From my side I can say this is not true Actually he is not a bad kid, and I do my best to be his friend.But i DO say to my H that "I don't like the TIME when he is over our place", for the following reasons:
1. I'm totally ignored when my ss in our place. I'm never included to any family activities and conversations. Usually my husband cooks. And when his son is over here, I'm almost never invited for breakfast, lunch or dinner. If they go somewhere, I usually learn where they are by calling him and asking.(when we are alone, he usually informs me where is he going)
2. My interests are not counted, if they cross the interests of his son. We are living in a small apartment, and I couldn't have my birthday party, because that was the weekend when my ss should be in our place. I advised to send him to his mom's or grandmom's house only for a night. But my H didn't agree on that, he wanted him to sleep in our place regardless. Or let's say I have a plans when we are supposed to be alone. But his ex calls, says that she has plans and asks him if my ss can stay with us. And of course, he comes over!
3. My H never gives me a hug or never says me that he loves me and cares about me in front of his son. But he does that to him all the time. Sometimes, I feel that he does that for purpose to hurt me or make me feel alone.
When we are alone, things changes so much! He is the most perfect husband which woman can desire.
I don't hate my ss. He is a good boy. But the time when he is in our home, is the hell for me!
I was trying to talk about this to my H many times. We even went to family counselor. But nothing changes for me Sad
I also do not know what to do and how to change this. I love my husband, but I just can't live like this any more. I don't want to feel myself like NOTHING when his son comes.
So, splitheart, if your wife is in the same position as me, I totally understand her behaviors. Because I feel that I would act the same if my husband do not change. Or I will have to just leave him.
Good luck.

herewegoagain's picture

Sorry you are going through this...I think it is wrong...but I will say that most of the times I have seen this happen it is because the father goes above and beyond for the child and the smom feels like a third wheel...In a relationship the two parents should come first. Then the children should be equal...

I know my husband used to say that his daughter came first and I was very resentful...No, it should not be this way. Even in the bible it says husband/wife relationship is first...then kids...

Good luck to you...I know it's hard, but I think you need to try to understand this other point of view...please know that there will be some people out there who feel this way no matter what, but I have a feeling that is the exception and not the rule...

mclinorama's picture

Wow, that is just terrible. I definitely like the family counseling idea; that isn't healthy and she needs to realize she is hurting YOU and this poor kid.

splitheart's picture

thanks again for all your help.

I totally get what my wife is looking for now from me.

we're seperated right now, but us figuring out how to blend our family is one of the biggest points to us getting back together.

2SteppinInCali's picture

... is probably best for all parties involved, especially your son. He is removed from a borderline abusive relationship and finally gets to see you have a backbone. Good luck with everything!

amers76's picture

NOW, I'm not sure I agree she is EVIL! Granted, I don't live in your house, I don't see how your wife is treating your son or how she speaks to him BUT I too have a step I just don't care for and I hardly think I'm evil. I try very hard and I am nice to him and throw him birthday parties and answer his 101 stupid questions and patiently ignore him as he talks through every movie, cook him whatever he wants for dinner, I bake brownies or cookies for when he comes over just because I know he like them. He is a good kid, polite for the most part, says please and thank you most of the time but for some reason he annoys every bone in my body. His voice annoys me. Maybe it is all the questions and talking through movies,etc. but sometimes it seems like it is just his existence in general, ya know nothing more than what he represents which is a srunken night with a stripper and no condom. Bottom line, it isn't easy to love someone elses child. My DH knows that I don't "love" his kid and he knows his kid gets on my nerves. He knows that i don't agree with the kind of person his mother is raising him to be and that it ultimately does affect my feelings for him because he isn't a kid I really like. He is the kid in school that teaches kids all the things good parents try to avoid their kids learning as long as possible. Not because he is a bad kid but simply because he doesn't know any better because that is what is "normal" in his house. I have flat out told him if I had a 10 year old I woudln't want his son hanging around mine. Again not because he is a bad kid or a mean kid he is just around alot of inapropriate stuff. Anyway, it would kill me if I thought my DH didn't respect me or just because I couldn't love his kid and was actually honest with him about it. My ss gets on my last nerves, and alot of the time I go back in to my bedroom because I have to get away from the constant questions and talking,etc. Just because you think the sun rises and falls out of your kids a** doesn't mean your wife is goign to and that should be OK! I do the best I can and but yeah I do wish he didn't have this kid with this stripper. I'm sorry that I feel that way btu I hardlythink it makes me a bad person or your wife. As long as she is nice to your son you can't lose respect for her just because she doesn't share your feelings/ove for a kid that isn't hers jsut because it's yours. It doesn't men I don't love my DH madly!!!! And same goes for your wife. It sucks, I know when DH and I have a baby as hard as I try I will probably obviulsy treat "my" child differently. I am human after all and obviously going to love my child who I carried in my tummy for 9 months more than some strippers kid who happens to be my DH's (and even that is questionable considering he never asked for a paternity test). Cut your wife a little slack. No one wants to be a step mom. It sucks. It's hard and everyone deals with it differently. Some of us have a harder time accepting the situation, it hardly makes us bad people.

Soon2BMom's picture

Maybe you should address this with your wife and not a bunch of strangers, it seems a little shady to talk about your partner behind her back, you can go to therapy you know? Talking about ex-spouses or BM's, SK's is one thing, because most of those factors you dont have control over and most of those people can be uncooperative and you really cant do anything except seek support online... but your wife?
Seems like you need to address things with her, in therapy or something.
Not with a bunch of women online.

Lainey's picture

i like to say, make your marriage #1 and the rest will take care of itself. By nature, your wife would have wanted to take this house and make a home of it and to be a co-leader in the management of it. you did say that she is a teacher so i doubt she is predisposed to hating kids. i think that at some point you have underminded her and made her feel like an outsider by brushing off things that she says, conversing with your son about your marriage etc etc. i think that your wife is deeply hurt and is using your son to make you pay for it, immature yes, but hurt makes people do strange things. in my case ss shows up whenever, he wathes t.v all the time, doesn't have any friends....so that means when he is here it is 24 hours a day and only my dh, ss and his bm are privy to when he is leaving, i have no clue. do i sound like i am now harboring resentment, well yes. what level of the totem pole would you say i am at, as well as your wife????
i would give serious consideration to structure to the visits from your son. discuss with your wife so she can feel like you acknowledge that this is her house too. yes he is your son but this is your wife's house not his and shouldn't she (as well as me) have some say in when people come in and out of it? it drives me nuts. what the heck is wrong with structure anyway, i bet that many of us here want that, considering many of the vents are about the lack of structure with rules aka guilt parenting on dh's behalf. i think (as i do about my dh) that your wife feels that there are no rules that she can influence (in her own house). likely as i do, i figure if i have no say in what goes on in my house when it comes to ss, then why should i participate at all? at this point for me i am seriously considering seperate housing, if there are 2 sets of rules then maybe there should be 2 castles......you need to do something to make your wife feel that it is marriage first and nothing can break that, i'm sure that would do a world of difference, i know i would. keep in mind that you have a steep hill to climb, this didn't happen overnight and resentment is a difficult thing to overcome.

no fairytale's picture

She knew you had a son before you were married.. How did she treat him then?
I find it very insulting that there are not pictures of your son and only pictures of your new child and her family on the walls.
That is your home also and it is YOUR job to make your first son as a presence in that home. You need to put pictures up and not make him feel like as though he has to do all the work to buddy up to his step mother.
She will hopefully get the message that both of your Bio children mean the same to you and you will not have one feeling as an outsider.

NotsoHappyNewlywed's picture

Splitheart...
I speak for MYSELF here. Most SM (StepMoms) have some type of jealousy towards kids that are not their own. Sometimes we feel that the bond between the Dad and his child is stronger than the bond between us and them. It is natural to feel those feelings. With time you come to understand that the relationships are different. The love you share between you and your child is different from the love you share with your partner. They are both strong loves and both are genuine. However, taking those jealous feelings and verbalizing them to YOU is cruel. Showing a child that you have ill feelings towards him is also incredibly cruel and evil. As a mother I would NEVER allow a man to mistreat my children. Mentally, emotionally or physically. YOUR child is yours and you should not allow your wife or ANYONE to mistreat him. Ask her how she would feel if down the line your marriage failed and her new partner said those things about her baby? What would she do to him? Would she allow it? Sometimes people need to see things from another perspective before they can understand the pain they inflict on their loved ones.
She may never love your child as if he was her own but saying that she doesn't care about him is unacceptable and I suggest you do something about it. Nobody said dealing with blended families is easy. It takes a certain level of maturity and a good open heart to accept things and see them as they really are.
I am anxious to see how this turns out. Your boy is more than likely suffering in silence and that is truly heartbreaking.

Best Wishes...

buttercup123's picture

That is really sad. You have every right to expect that your wife will treat your child with respect and make every attempt to treat him like family, especially if he is a good kid. My heart goes out to him. I can't imagine feeling unwanted like that. I suggest counseling for your wife seperately and counseling for you and your son.You and your son need it to keep your bond strong and she needs to get help. What she is doing is not normal.

blendedandbeautiful's picture

Splitheart:

It sounds like your wife has some resentment issues toward your son. Unfortunately, it sounds like she resents him for even existing! I applaud your efforts to seek help in keeping your family together.

This is definitely something your wife needs to deal with either through biblical counseling or talking with a pastor/counselor through a church. You can ensure you're doing everything you can as a husband and father-enforcing rules, ensuring your son is being respectful toward his stepmother, and encouraging her to seek help and change her behavior.

An earlier reply mentioned the possibility of you or your son's mother telling your wife that your son is none of her business and to butt out-as a SM, I have heard this countless times from my husband's ex, but your son is definitely her business-maybe this resentment is a defense mechanism because of something said to her from you or your ex wife.

I think the majority of the problem lies within your wife and her immaturity-please encourage her to speak with someone about these feelings! It makes everyone miserable to be around someone who is miserable-and your son needs to know he is a priority in your life, and your wife's!

buttercookie's picture

I'm defending your wife here so you may not want to continue reading.
What type of degree do you or anyone have to give her the diagnosis I've been reading?
I never said what your wife did to you but I felt it.
My husband had his child move in with us shortly after getting married. I was excited at first because I thought it was in the best interest of the kid.
After said child moved into the house I was reduced to maid status and ignored by both of them. I was expected to work full time and help pay for a child who wasn't really "bad" but he wasn't really good either. I never had a schedule, never knew who was going to be home or when, but was expected to have a dinner on the table for them when they waltzed in. I was treated without respect I could go on but I won't. After time I started to hate this kid. His father wouldn't make him do anything, clean up after himself, do his homework, bring the dirty dishes out of his room, be home at a decent time. His father really didn't want to do anything with him. In my eyes his father just didn't want his ex to have him. Neither parented and I was expected to become super mom overnight cooking, cleaning, working to pay the bills but I was treated like a maid and a guest in my own home.
I'm not in your house but I do know there are 2 sides to every story and I don't live there, but I think you need to make sure you are treating your wife like a wife and give it time. It won't be fixed over night but if sounds to me like you have given brought this son too much into a spousal type relationship and not enough parent/child relationship. That would make any spouse jealous, resentful and plain mad.

wicked-stepmother's picture

I have a step mother who I know does not like me. I am an adult though, and never had to grow up with her in an environment, knowing how much she dislikes me. Some women just don't know how to do it. Lots of us women who have step children, struggle with it on a daily basis...personally, I never want my sd(14) to feel from me, the feelings I have from my step mom.

I would like to think that if I were younger, my dad wouldn't stay with his wife if I were being mistreated by her. I would like to think that he would be my champion. I would like to think that he would not be able to love someone who wasn't kind and loving to his own child.

At the same time, I just wrote a post today that said I wished I could erase my sd from our lives?!?!?! Feelings I am not proud of at all. As a child who struggles with their relationship to the step mom, it is very hard to live with that dislike. Your home is supposed to be your safe place. Your family your sheild.

I know their are times when my husband wishes I were different in regards to his daugther. There are plenty of times I wish I were too. Good luck.

milknosugar's picture

I can't stand to read all this. It makes my heart break for your young boy.

Your son needs you. He is at the age when boys need their Dads most. You are his father. Do whatever it takes to make him feel loved and wanted. Get a place where you can spend time together without all that negative walking on eggshell abusive nonsense.

If your wife doesn't like it - wtf is that?

Stand up for him whatever you do. Don't choose anyone who does not encourage support and help you love your son.

My relationship with my SSs is not always easy but I wouldn't do anything ever to make it difficult for my DH to have a close loving relationship with them. That is just evil. I don't care what the diagnosis is. The effect on your son will be devastating and us grown ups with children are obliged to do what is right by them.