You are here

just starting out on this journey...

Sarah H's picture

Some of the stories on this forum are truly frightening!

My situation is a little different in that I am at the beginning of this journey.

By way of background, my partner and I have been together for 3 years. He has 2 children (12 year old boy and 11 year odl girl) from a previous marriage. I have never met them as his ex goes bonkers at the prospect and to be honst I have no real desire to get involved. The kids live with their mother in a different city to us. My partner was living in that city when we met but moved to be with me and for work. As you can imagine, thats a source of tension already.

When he first moved here, he moved in with me and my place was simple too small to have the kids stay with us. We've since moved to a bigger apartment which has a spare bedroom - so whilst its not ideal, they could come and stay with us if they shared a room.

My partner has been talking about EOW but realistically shuttling kids between 2 cities that frequently really isnt fair on them. So it might end up being half of all school holidays.

Whenever the topic comes up, I cant help feeling my blood pressure rise. Putting aside whether I am being reasonable or not, what I feel is:

1. Resentment at the change of lifestyle. I know it sounds shallow but for three years my partner and I have had this great life and now I'm supposed to adapt to having kids stay with us for weeks at a time.
2. Annoyed at losing holidays. My partner knows hw will have to take time off work when the kids are with is, which leaves no time for us to havea holiday together.

But... my partner and I are getting married and we plan to start trying for a child of our own this year too. As much as I wish it were otherwise, I know the stepkids will always be around.

So for those who are far more experienced at dealing with BMs and their kids, what advice would you give to someone starting out on the journey? Am I better off continuing to stay out of it as much as possible? And how did you first cope with kaving the stepkids live with you??

aggravated1's picture

wow. you certainly took that personally. I think you might be projecting. A whore??
Where did that craziness come from?

Sarah H's picture

Wow. Judgemental much CheriWilson?

Up until now he has travelled between both cities for work. He usually spends half the week with me and half in the same city as the kids. When I say he moved, he shifted his base city from theirs to mine but he still sees the kids plenty, regularly takes them to their weekly sports and activites etc.

Also, he didnt leave her for me. They split about 2 years before he and I even met.

I thought this was a supportive forum where we were allowed to be honest. Apparently not.

Sarah H's picture

I dont resent the kids, I resent their mother.

I know 3 years is a long time. In the beginning I was very wary of rushing things, of giving all parties invovled time to adjust - but in doing that I'm aware we've let too much time lapse.

The BM suffers from depression. On a day to day basis she's usually fine and she's generally savvy enough to know when she's on a downhill slide and she'll see her Dr for medication. However periodically she just goes nuts. She's been known to ring my partners family and say very nasty things about him. She trashes anything we give the kids if she knows I've had any involvement.

I suppose I naively thought that if we gave her time to get used to the idea that my partner and I were together, then told the kids, gave them time to get used to the idea before coming to meet me, it might make it easier. But every time my name is mentioned, she goes off. She still goes on tirades about how she doesnt believe in divorce even though it all happened years ago now.

Its at the point now where we've basically stopped trying to accommodate her feelings. Its been years and there's been no progress so now we're trying to move forward with your lives - which includes me meetng his kids and bringing them to stay with us.

I'm asking how others coped because, after so long, I guess I've tended to associate the kids with their BM and therefore as a negative experience. I know I need to change that attitude.

Sarah H's picture

Just realised what I wrote might be misunderstood.

She has had bouts of depression in the past. She's been fine for a few years now. But part of our reason for doing everything so slowly was a fear that if she was too stressed out, it would trigger another bout of depression.

Her period bouts of going crazy seem to be fuelled by anger and resentment, nothing more.

Sarah H's picture

I think the original idea to go slow was mine. In the early days of our relationship I thought very seriously about whether I could cope. I didnt want to meet the kids a few times then flit out of their lives again.

Its true that my partner is not good at dealing with conflict. He prefers to bury his head the sand and ignore it - but he is slowly getting better. Its been a source of some tension in our relationship.

The funny thing is that when he finally acts, its usually fine. Like when he first told the kids he was dating, they were fine with it. I think my OH thought it was a bigger deal than the kids did.

I havent been very good with boundaries in the past but its good advice. I'll have to try harder.

silentnites's picture

If you have not met the children and the BM flips out at the thought of you meeting them, don't make plans for the future. The BM has control issues and those issues will find their home right into your marriage. When you have a child of your own, the BM will become your worst nightmare, not necessarily your schildren.

You must meet them prior to beginning a future with your partner. You have no idea what they have heard about you from the view of the BM...besides, if something should happen to the BM (not wishing, just reality) those children will end up on your doorstep.

Want my life back's picture

Get out now before any more times passes, honestly deal with the grief now and leave him as much as it will break your heart. Your life will not be your own, your partner will expect you to forgo financially and emotionally for the rest of your days. Your future children deserve a father who is 100% devoted to them and their mum, his heart will always be devided between two families. Time heals, meet another man who has no children. I've had 16 years of this stepfamily crap, our bio boys together have been so effected by this as well. Step away while you can.

jumanji's picture

How long has it been since he's seen his kids? If he hasn't been seeing them regularly since moving? I would seriously question his commitment to kids before having one with him.

Sometimes, it is NOT the Mom's fault.

AtMyWitsEndNY's picture

I've been with my boyfriend for 3 years. He has two daugthers, and we now have two sons together. I still feel the exact same way you do, 3 years later. And, my feelings have only deepened, and deepend MORE now that I have children of my own.

1. Resentment at the change of lifestyle. I know it sounds shallow but for three years my partner and I have had this great life and now I'm supposed to adapt to having kids stay with us for weeks at a time.

Answer: Don't expect yourself to adapt. Don't expect yourself to accept. But you have to TOLERATE it if you want to be with this man. Now, when you have children of your own, and you want time along with your man and your babies and he wants to throw his other children into the mix, you'll feel a whole new kind of resentment...

2. Annoyed at losing holidays. My partner knows hw will have to take time off work when the kids are with is, which leaves no time for us to havea holiday together.

Answer: And when you want to take time off to spend holidays with your own children, you won't be alone... His kids will be there too.

I haven't learned this yet either, but, I'm told everyday, "He has children, it will NEVER just be YOU AND HIM". I hate it. I resent it. I wish I could change it. I can't.

I still can't accept it...

Sad

Sarah H's picture

I've seen the paperwork and they are definitely divorced - but I understand why you suggested that.

I've also met his most of his family, including his parents, siblings, aunts and uncles etc. They're all very very welcoming. There's no elephant in the room, they will openly talk about his ex, ask how its all going etc. We also regularly spend time with his friends and even his work colleagues.

So its not like we have some hidden relationship.

I know I need to get used to having his kids around. I expect it will be about 3 weeks a year. Living in different citiies rules out EOW.

AtMyWitsEndNy - thats good advice re just tolerating it. I think thats easier to aim for!!