Help

zendralin's picture

Good day, 

I wanted to see if anyone else lout there is having the issue I am with my SO and my SK. My SO is a truck driver so he's gone for long periods of time which is first gonna put a strain on any relationship. He's also got an EX wife and two SD the oldest who's 17 isn't his by blood but he's been there since she was 1 yrs old. Then his daughter by his ex is 13 yrs old which the oldest knows she isn't his blood daughter. We have no kids together a yr into the relationship I had a misscarriage which happened a week after I found out I was pregnant. Anyway, because my SO is gone for so long when he does come home it's not for long periods its for maybe a day or two at most then he's gone again. So it's not often we all get to see him when they come over and when it does happen it's usually spent in front of a tv watching tv. I work full time myself as well and my hrs change weekly so every day I work different hrs which is fine since I'm alone 99% of the time. My issue is when he does have us all together he doesn't know how to divide his attention between the three of us. I'm usually just pushing for him to worry about the girls over me but at the same time I want attention too but don't wanna take time away from the girls as well. The best example I can give is we went to a dinner show and when we sat down I saw at the end the oldest SD next to me, then him and then the youngest SD. The whole time while sitting down the three of them had a blast while I sat there left out just eating my food and watching the show. In that two hrs he spoke to me twice once to ask me if I wanted a cup and then when they went to take a picture together. The rest of the show I didn't say another word to any of them I just got on my phone and started talking to some friends so I wouldn't feel so alone. I tryed to brush it off and say he's spending time with them but at the same time I want a little attention to rather then feeling like I'm a tag along. But that's how it is I know the kids come first but I want a little attention myself not all of it but some so I'm not alone cause outside going to work when I'm home I'm alone with; my cats. No friends no family to talk to or spend time with so most my days are lonely even though we talk on the phone almsot everyday.  What do I do because i'm falling apart at the seams in this relationship. I met him as a truck driver and for the most part that I don't mind but as the years go on I feel more lonely and getting wrapped up more in my own depression I had before this marriage. Any advice would be great cause I dont know where else to turn to.

tog redux's picture

This doesn't sound any better than being single. What are you getting out of this relationship?

It's fair for you to want some of his time when he comes home, teenage kids don't need all of his time and attention.

Thumper's picture

Ask yourself why you picked this man to be YOUR man? He is never home. When he is home for maybe 2 days he is spending time with his kids.  Your not married. You are infact free to go at any time.

Really OP take the time to ask yourself WHY you are still there. Is it you cant pay rent? Cant afford electric AND rent AND food? So your using this guy to help YOU?

Its ok to whine and feel sorry for yourself for a little bit---but then you have to brush the dirt off and MOVE ON.

Either stay,  be sad,  lonley, complain OR  leave, live life as full as possible and find someone who has time for a relationship. This guy doesnt. You already know this.

Best Wishes OP....

Exjuliemccoy's picture

It sounds as if you spend your life waiting for the crumbs this man offers. Why is that? It sounds very lonely.

No one person can meet all your needs, even if they're home every day. You need to prioritize dating yourself and building a social/support network. Maybe try to get a somewhat more regular work schedule, and build around that? I know firsthand that work can be a numbing distraction, but having a good work/life balance is essential in order to be healthy and happy.  Push yourself out of your comfort zone, expand your life, and make your SO part of your life instead of your whole life. You'll be happier in the long run.                                                

Rags's picture

"I know the kids come first" Nope. Never do kids come before the spouses or the relationship. Ever. Period.

This is the end of any quality marriage. It may not mean divorce but the quality in the relationship is gone when either partner puts kids above their partner and their marriage.

You and he both need clarity on this.  His time must be focused on the marriage first upon his return.  Yes, he needs to see the kids, but... they are secondary to you and the marriage.

If not, pick a date on the calendar that will end the marriage. It is inevitable.

Far too many SParents have lived this truth.

Don't chase this sitaution down the rat hole of depression. It is not worth it.

Take care of you.