You are here

Why did I do this to myself?

stayathomestepmom's picture

Three years ago, met the love of the my life. Two children (twins, boy and girl) bio mother passed away. Convinced me to quit my job, got rid of the nanny I go back to school, and stay with the children. This decision included the children, basically it was what they wanted. They wanted me to stay with them instead of a new nanny (old one's contract was up and didn't want to renew ((I WONDER WHY....)) MIL says "It'll be great, I'll help you so much". The lie detector test determined that was a lie.
In the beginning it was great, for about five months. But one day SS9 just decided to be a jerk - he stopped answering me, started giving me attitude, bad behavior, hit my dog, ignored me. One year passes. He does things like throw dirt into the kitchen sink, not answer when I speak to him, chew with his mouth open even after several warnings, leaves messes everywhere and then acts surprised when I point them out, lies constantly, sneaky about things like homework, brushing teeth, showering. Refuses to be ready on time for school, as a result I've missed and failed classes. DH suddenly gets switched to overnights. I do everything myself. Talk to the kids therapist about SS9 behavior - am told that I am "too uptight" need to "relax"by kid's therapist. DH says he "doesn't see the behavior". One year later, DH finally sees the behavior, apologizes, apparently I was right all along. I'm on medication because of this f(((cking fiasco. Could you imagine making up behavioral problems for over a year?!? I'm so full of resentment and hurt. I've been unjustly blamed -- who would lie about a kid's behaviors like that? SS9 and I don't even speak to each other. So bad the other day I took him to the dentist and he acted like I wasn't even there. I was never so embarrassed in my life. He sat across the waiting room from me and picked his nose, people were looking at me thinking he was special needs and I was ignoring him. I didn't know what to do. They called his name to go in the room and he just walked in without me, not even a glance to see where I was. All because I asked him to sit down. Constantly being given more problems if I ask him to do something that's like, normal. I think I've "disengaged" -- gave DH complete control over SS9, to the point of where if DH isn't home SS9 doesn't go to Bday parties, practices, etc. (although I'm the one who got him all set up with all extracurricular activities). We ignore each other except for me getting him ready in the morning. Inspecting his teeth to make sure he brushed and talking to him like he's a wittle baby (because he honestly likes it -- it's so bizarre)... one day I did babytalk at him to be a b*tch, but he really liked it so I babytalk him all the time. Almost 10 and we go "who's a big boy!! you got your shoes on??? nice work!!!!" and it makes me feel better because I'm being such a B--- and it makes him happy so... I guess ok? But other than that no interaction, no answer to "how was your day", everything is just a struggle. Even after DH talks to SS9 about behavior there's never an apology, a promise to work harder, nothing. Just "OK". It's NOT OK!!!!!! SD9 and I are incredibly close, she's my entire world and I've never loved anyone so much in my life. The tension though has to be taking a toll on her. Becauset the sight of SS9 makes my skin crawl, I want to scream, punch him, throw up -- does this ever get better? I know he doesnt feel comfortable being around me in a room because I asked him. I would have left by now I think if SD9 and I weren't so close. I love DH to death, but the last year of being dismissed and no support made me really resentful to him, to the therapists, to SS9. Now everyone sees SS9's behavior - manipulative, creepy and they take my word, but that doesn't mean one day I won't be to blame again. I feel bad that they lost their mother and I never tried to be their mother, but I also don't deserve the blatant disrespect and extra work. I would do anything for either one of them, willingly. I constantly go out of my way, but when do you say enough is enough? Why did I do this to myself?????? Everyday I lurk on this message board, and everyday I count down "only 9 more years until it's over", but I'm only 30. I shouldn't be counting my life away like this, looking forward to turning 40 so my DH and I can go on a vacation together because NO ONE WILL HELP US! his mother will say stuff like "yeah i suffered through that too".. ummm hello? I'm not their bio mother! I didn't plan for this? Where is all this alleged "help?". Oh well, onto more therapy, more ativan, more booze and more hibernation.
Thanks for listening.

I am as childless as they come. I would just be so devastated to leave SD -- she's been through so much, her mother passed away then DH married right away to some manipulative fraud who abandoned them. We aren't married, just engaged. I've been prolonging the engagement to see if I can even stand being married. It's such a shame bc when SS isn't in the room the three of us get on perfect. I really do love my DH he's kind and supportive, but right now is just a case of too little too late. He's trying. He tries to discipline his son, it's hard though bc he's never home. (works far from home, good career and supports the three of us without complaint) When SS comes into the room he's brooding and commands all the attention by always finding the dumbest things to engage his father about. He addresses them directly so I know I'm not invited in the conversation. No matter, it's usually about a bruise or a papercut or some other way to play victim. I can't leave right now because I have nothing. I often think about where I would go and what I would do if I had freedom, and how I would never abandon SD -- I would take her for weekends and summers.

That;s one way to look at it. I also am very much still in love with DH. Having amazing relationship with SD. SS is making my life a hell. Maybe there's a way I can try to get past that before I leave bc that seems very drastic.. .

Rags's picture

Time to go. Pack, call DH, tell him you are out the door in an hour and he needs to be home to care for his kids.

Move on. You can't afford to stay in this situation. The cost to your emotional health and quality of life is too high. Be very clear during your pre-departure conversation. He refuses to parent his son, you are done parenting his son, he now can either step up and parent or hire a nanny.

Dedicate yourself to school, get your degree/diploma, and move on with your life.

Take care of you.

I knew who I was before I took on this responsibility. Then i quit my job to go back to school and lost my identity. I guess I just don't have anything if I don't have this now...Then after making such a drastic life change I lost myself to the kids. I didn't mind it in the beginning because I thought we were all getting along, but now it's tiresome. I guess I read this board to see that I'm not alone. Sometimes it gets better for other people. At least now I don't feel like such a monster, because at first I thought jeez I really am an ingrate. Here I'm being given the opportunity to finish school and have a family and a beautiful house in a lovely neighborhood with a man who I truly admire and want to share my life with. I'm just wondering if the child is really worth breaking up the engagement over (no not married yet. just engaged. i wanted to finish school but then the other day he wanted to elope and i said elope? nope!)

stephm0219's picture

I think maybe that all children cause hurt feelings. At least you have one step kid that loves you and that you love back. I would give DH an ultimatum at this point. Either he handles SS all the time and you totally disengage, or DH demands that SS treat you with respect and PUNISH him for each account that he does not, or you move on with your life.

Its hard I know bc you have attachments and a lifestyle that you have become accustomed to, but maybe a fresh start will do you good if DH cant fix the problem at home, which truly only he can fix. Good Luck. Hang in there. Dont drink and take ativan at the same time!

I am so lucky for SD. She's the best little human ever. I think the problem with giving DH an ultimatum is that if he gets mad then SS has won. SS loves when we fight. When we fight his personality is like that of a normal person's. He gets a high off of it. So I have to swallow everything in our relationship that may cause a fight too. DH tried punishing, but then it ended up that SS was in his room all the time, never upset... just chilling and reading. It didnt do anything. Then I had to give SS "positive reinforcement" everytime he did something good. Eyeroll.
Needless to say he didn't get much.

OMG i mixed ativan and booze one night. blackout was terrible.

stephm0219's picture

Ok so if you have to hide your feelings for fear of repercussions from DH and SS, honey, that is a MAJOR issue!!! Also if sending him to his room isnt working as a punishment, Do something else that will have an affect. Ground him. Take TV out of his room, Take away electronics etc. Something that will let him know, I am in trouble and my behavior needs to change. If DH wont do this either, your life will inevitably be miserable. SS will get worse and he already laid the groundwork for DH to just overlook that disrespect he hands out to you daily. You arent married yet, you are not connected legally yet. REALLY REALLY REALLY THINK about what you want to do with your life and WHO you want in your corner. You can still keep in touch with SD if you leave. Letters, calls, facebook, whatever. You can be a resource for her without ruining your life.

SM12's picture

Get the Nanny back. Go back to work/ school or whatever you choose and disengage from your SS.
Your DH didn't have your back and now you are resentful. That feeling doesn't just go away.
Hire a nanny to deal with the children and get on with your own life.

2Tired4Drama's picture

BINGO! These comments about SD turning are absolutely correct: "That girl is going to disrespect you and hurt you in ways you cannot imagine right now, and she will do it for the same reasons her brother began doing it, which are result of pre-adolescent hormones and feelings surrounding their mother's death that they don't know how to deal with."

Stayathome, you have to face some harsh realities. While you think your SO is the man of your dreams, he has slowly dragged you into his own nightmare.

IMO, you are a one-stop-shop for solutions to the main problem in his life which is taking care of, and raising, those two children. He gets to go off and enjoy his own career (and freedom) and you sit at home with all the household and child-rearing responsibility. Popping pills and downing drinks just to get through your day.

Here's what will probably be next - he will grow tired of you and your complaining about his poor motherless children. He will find a sympathetic (female) shoulder to cry on, and will spend even less time at home.

Theare are all reasons why he wants to hurry up and get you legally tied to him ("Let's elope!") so that you REALLY can't extricate yourself easily.

Children who lose their mothers are going to be emotionally damaged for life. No matter how many therapists they go to. Facts are facts - losing one's mother is a huge blow. And the repercusions will last their lifetime. Someday your SD may walk down the aisle and you are dreaming if you think she will be so thankful for what you have done for her. I guarantee her thoughts are going to be wishing her REAL mother were there, not you. Same when she had children of her own. And your SS has already shown you what he thinks of you - even at his young age, he's at least being "honest" in his behaviors.

Is that what you want your life to be?

Acratopotes's picture

Sorry Hun.. SD is not the special snowflake you are making her out to be, wait till she's 13... all hell will break loose, girls are worse then boys.

I suggest you find a job and get a nanny back for those kids, they are not your children thus not your problem.DH needs to step up and start parenting his children, and remember it's not a grand parent's job to help with them, not their children either.....

I think SS is acting out cause he clearly sees the difference in treatment between him and his sister, maybe you should start treating them the same,