You are here

Hate my stepson

Stepmom0639's picture

I am having a real hard time ‘liking’ my stepson, I have been with my partner just over 2 years and he has 2 kids, while I have none of my own. I love him and his daughter (9) so much, sure she has off days, but she’s a kid. However, when it comes to his son (4), I can honestly say that I feel absolutely zero affection towards him what so ever, but let me try and explain why. 

He has major behavioural issues, to the point where his mother is having him tested for underlying issues. He is almost 5 and cannot talk properly and shows attention seeking behaviours that just drive me insane! He ruins absolutely everything for his sister, he smashed her TV to pieces because she threw a remote at him (yes he was provoked but how the hell is that a logical response!?), jumps on her iPad to smash the screen so she can’t use it, is trouble at dinner times (eats like a pig on purpose, takes far too long to eat anything to the point that we have to schedule in about 2.5 hours for him to eat his dinner, pretends to choke and gag on his food - when he is clearly not choking), wakes up stupidly early then goes into his sisters room to wake her up which then means they are then waking us up - I know this comes across as selfish but it’s my weekend too… I don’t want to be awake at 5am after getting up at that time all week, he smacks and hits his sister and his mom - although doesn’t do it at our house, says hi to me when I walk into a room (sounds absolutely stupid writing this out, but when you hear ‘Hi Gemma’ 20,000 times a day… you’ll be tired of it too), can’t dress him self or purposely dresses himself wrong for attention, instead of asking questions like ‘can you help me please?’ Or ‘can I have something to eat please?’ He will sit and cry, or make such a big deal out of the activity… all of these actions make me feel so angry all the time, to the point that on the weekends we have the children, I am wound up about him coming and then I spend the next 2-3 days wound up like a coiled spring and I am taking this anger out on him, my partner and his daughter, it’s causing a rift in my relationship with them, but I just don’t know how to change my feelings towards him. 

Can I just say, my partner has not exactly helped with this. Once we moved in together, I more or less became the main parent, washing, cleaning, bath time, bed time, getting up with the kids, cooking etc. things are getting better and he is starting to help more as I broke down one Sunday and his daughter told her mom who then called my partner to discuss this with him. Which I am grateful for as we had a very open and frank conversation which resulted in him changing things around. 

I am also aware that his son is a kid and I as the adult shouldn’t feel this way towards him. I should love him and should feel the same affection I do towards my partners daughter. But I just don’t. When I think of him or the thought of him coming for the weekend I’m just filled with absolute rage and frustration. I’m reaching out as I want advice on how to change my way of thinking or strategies to help with these attention seeking behaviours, because I just can’t go on like this. 

Rags's picture

Pull your emotion out of it.  Set the standards of behavior and standards of performance in your home. Enforce those standards.

Focus on the behaviors. Not the what ifs, not the why of what SS does. Just the bahaviors.  Apply appropriate escalating consequences.  Eventually you will find the point where escalating abject misery changes his behaviors or he avoids you and everyone else because he cannot get away with his behavioral crap.

Keep it simple.

Isolate him when he acts out.  Swat him on the rump, put his nose in an isolated corner. Leave him there.  If daddy does not like how you parent and discipline his ill behaved spawn, daddy can step up and get it done before you have to.

Stepmom0639's picture

I have tried all of those things, sending him to his room, putting him in the corner, taking privileges away like toys, ipads and TVs. When I tell you NOTHING works with this kid i mean it. He literally gives zero sh!ts! 

The difference between me and my partner is patience, I have no patience with him so I immediately want to send him to his room. Especially at meal times, when he starts with this fake gagging and choking i feel like taking the meal away and sending him to his room, only I am overruled and told to 'leave him.' Don't get me wrong my partner does say stuff to him, but not the way I want to or would be doing it. 

Rags's picture

Next time daddy pulls his "leave him" shit, tell daddy that either the ill behaved gaging spawn leaves or you will leave the table.  Quit cooking for the kid. Give him a sports drink.  He won't starve.  Time to start putting the spotlight on daddy's serial failed parenting and keep rubbing daddy's nose in the stench of his parenting.

Marianne's picture

What a situation you are in. DH was a child psychologist and in this circumstance would direct parents to the RIP program--Regional Intervention Program. It is in Tennessee and several other states, but they might have partner organizations in your location. Your SS is at the age that this type of program would help. When the child is older it is so much harder to treat. Anyone would be suffering under these behaviors and drama, maybe even fear. I'm routing for you.

Stepmom0639's picture

Thanks Marianne, I think the child needs professional help. However, I am based in the UK and the healthcare's attitude to this is pass it off to the school and let them deal with it. I'm told he doesn't exhibit these behaviours at school, therefore if he's not showing this side of him at school... how on earth am I supposed to get help! 

Rags's picture

no reason why it should be tolerated at home. He is making behavioral choices and he is getting some desired reward for those choices.

So, make those choices so escalatingly miserable for him that he will no longer perpetrate those choices.  Escalating abject misery works wonders on ill behaved children.