You are here

Closing the door when in the bathroom.....

Michel71's picture

Hello I am new to this site. My 11 year old SD leaves the bathroom door open when she does her business. I don't like this. It makes me uncomfortable. She should have some degree of modesty I think. I came from a home where privacy was respected and practiced. Her mother treats her like a baby and so does my SO. She often goes around with her top off. She has budding breasts and is soon to start her period. How can I communicate to my SO that I just don't like this without offending. I have told the child to close the door but she does not get it. Any criticism (trust me its all constructive) on my part, put ever so delicately is seen as an attack upon the child. Help! Thanks for weighing in.

overworkedmom's picture

My SS7 has issues with this too. I have got to the point where I tell him "No one wants to see your private parts! They are called private parts for a reason- Keep them private!". I will stop him walking down the hall naked and make him go back to his room for a robe. I have put my foot down with this. I have a 5 yr old daughter in the house and she doesn't need to see all that.

**Edit-- I am also now closing the doors when he is in the bathroom and bedroom changing and I see that they were left open. He will cry and scream but I just say that "Private parts are private."

Lalena75's picture

SO's kids do this, and even go in there and talk to each other when using the toilet (opposite sex). SO's has been firm that this is not cool and now punishes the with time out if they don't shut the door and stay out when the other is using it. At first he had to stand outside the door with it shut because they would crack the door and try to talk to each other, his ds would freak out and cry on the floor the 2 min his sister was in the bathroom because he was "lonely" he is just now learning to function without her. They are 6 and 7 btw. When you see the door open shut off the light, just explain the door was open you assumed no one was in there so the light didn't need to be on. Or shut it loudly. Let your SO know if she can't behave with dignity and modesty you will be forced to enforce that expectation of all sexes in your home, he's setting her up for all sorts of issues and it's pretty gross nothing is done. Let him get pissy.

hereiam's picture

What in the hell is wrong with the mother that she thinks this is ok? The kid is 11, not 3. Her mother should be telling her to close the door and put a shirt on.

I guess you need to have the puberty talk with your SO.

Drac0's picture

SS used to do this but this stopped the moment his Dad got him an iPhone. SS has learned about "The Bathroom Trick" so he shuts the door now and stays in the bathroom for 45 minutes.

overworkedmom's picture

:sick: LOL

Michel71's picture

Like Tog said....this is what will happen if I approach the subject. Never mind that I am uncomfortable. One day I will find her alone (the kid) and say something. But I have to put it in a cagey way or she will tell my man that I was rude.